Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2013 7:53:58 PM EDT
Picked up this little beauty. Came with 3 mags and a well used holster. Have been looking locally and online and have not been able to find one up till now. Was definitely born 20 years too late.
Little worn on the nose,but in pretty good condition.

Question is, how old is she?

No "Made In Russia"

Was on Makarov.com and could not tell the year. Unless I am that blind, and the J serial on the frame means its a 1959 ?
Have ordered new grips, cuz the black is not the right color for her. Thats for sure.

Thanks for looking, and of course, any deals on Mag's would be great. 3 is not enough.
They're sisters, well 9MM Mak sisters anyways.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 8:06:10 PM EDT
[#1]
The J prefix serial number is the dot matrix one from KBI and not the actual Russian serial number. The ATFE mandated this because the Russians (Bulgarians too) do not use the Latin Alphabet.

Since Russian export laws state that "Military and Police" firearms cannot be exported for civilian use, the Russian Mak's have the adjustable rear sight, which can break if you are too ham handed with it.

These were imported in the 1991-1997 time frame, so your Mak dates from that time frame, most likely.

ETA, replace the recoil spring with a 17lb one from Wolff.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 9:26:07 AM EDT
[#2]
KeepShooting.com has aftermarket mags that have a good reputation.

AmmoClip.com seems to have some Russian magazines.

HoosierGunWorks has a few also.

I am also betting it is a 90's gun.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 3:21:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.

I saw the ones from KeepShooting. Had a bad experience with them in the past, and have not warmed up to them to place another order yet. But glad these mags have a good rep. Might try them again.

Already ordered the new springs.

The serial is much better than the serial "dot matrix" on the CZ82 so was not sure if the PC was it, or the J was the import.

Her sites dont seem to have been messed with so hopefully I dont do anything to mess them up.

Thanks again for the info.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 3:54:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I have that same gun, bought new in the box in the 90's I found a nice set of red bakelite grips to put on mine. Very reliable. I've never had a jam. I have an East German one too that puts the Russian finish to shame. Great little guns.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 5:24:43 PM EDT
[#5]
What kinda ammo does yours like?

I have a ton of this for my CZ82 and some Silver Bear 9X18. Both been reliable in the 82.
My red's should be here Tuesday.

Been thinking of doing some grips from Marschal
Link Posted: 8/2/2013 12:31:44 PM EDT
[#6]
www.gunpartswarehouse.com has fixed rear replacement sight if interested.  I have that exact same pistol, nice shooters.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 3:23:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I ordered east German mags from  http://www.robertrtg.com/makarovmag.html sometime back. Currently none available tho.

Also ordered the Marshal grip and love them.  Price has jumped about $25 since ordering mine

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee469/Hawkeye__59/Makarov.jpg
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top