Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/10/2013 8:45:54 PM EDT
I've got the bug for an East Bloc pistol and need some with the pros & cons of these three pistols. Any advice/comparisons or good reads you can offer would be appreciated.  I came across a couple of pictures with a Makarov and a CZ-82 side-by-side but it was hard to tell the size difference.  It looked like the CZ has a much longer grip than the Makarov but may have been the angle of the photo.  My only experience with any of them is a Mak I came across in Afghanistan.  It was a fine example of Peshawar, Pakistan engineering...so I passed on firing it.  Thanks much.
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 9:09:19 PM EDT
[#1]
What is your budget?
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 9:29:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Best I could download as I don't not own a 82 or a 64. But in have held and shot them. These are my PA 63 and Russia makarov.

A 82 is similar in size to these two pistols. The P64 is a bit smaller and more slender then a makarov and certainly lighter. Too small for my taste but still a wonderful little piece.

These pics should give an idea on a couple of your options.

Cz82 strength is its the best design of the bunch and holds more ammo. It's weakness is a good one generally costs a bit more then say a bulgarian makarov or a polish p64.

Russian maks are up there in price these days and feg pa63's are climbing. What were $sub $200 pistols are suddenly in the $300+ price realm.

At least ammo is still relatively cheap.

Link Posted: 7/11/2013 8:10:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the pics and the info.  The PA 63 is a good looking pistol.  I just looked it up online, pretty amazing that the shiny two tone is actually military issue.  As for my budget, nothing set in stone but I was thinking (maybe wishful) I could find a decent one for under $300.  The reason I've been looking at these is the size.  I normally carry a G19 but even that is big when wearing shorts & a t-shirt in the summer.  I'm 6'3" but I need something I can carry concealed, and it actually stays concealed!  My wife has a Ruger LCR which I carry in shorts now but I'm not a big fan of revolvers.
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 8:26:13 PM EDT
[#4]
At your size i think the p64 might be a tad on the small side. Hold one if you can. The pa63 fits my hands like it was made for them. The rRussian makarov is not super natural feeling in my hand. It seems as if it was made to be a "one size fits all"  grip. But I am super accurate with it.

The Russian makarov I bought LNIB last year for $250 and the PA63 I bought 2 weeks ago for $200. Deals can be had you just have to look. $300 should be able to get you a gun and a fair amount of ammo to shoot.
Link Posted: 7/12/2013 9:50:03 PM EDT
[#5]

This is a pic of some of my 9x18 collection, if you would like more detailed pics or comparisons let me know and I will get them.

The smallest and lightest is the R61, second row down far right.

For CCW my choice is the Bulgy Mak on the bottom row far left, SloppyJoe's pics have an aftermarket Pearce grip that makes it much wider than stock grips. My favorite carry Mak has shaved down grips to make it slimmer and flatter. Also as far as I know the only ones with current production mags are the Makarov PM and CZ-82.

Truth is the P64, Makarov PM, PA-63 and CZ-82 are all very close in lenth and height, and even in width. The P64 feels smaller, but with a mag in it is as long and tall as a PM.

Here are som comparisons of the Shaved down grip Bulgy to a P64.

Link Posted: 7/12/2013 10:12:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Look at a P83 too. $250 in near new condition on gunbroker. Better trigger than P64. CZ 82 is still the nicest pistol out of all of them.
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 12:07:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the info and the pics, great to be able to pick the brains of folks that have real experience with a firearm instead of buying blind.  Coyotesilencer, can you do some side-by-side photos of the CZ and a Mak and a P64?  Also, are any of them known to be better shooters than others?  How about their ruggedness and reliability, any variants known to be better than the others?  I've spent some time in Poland and I really like the people so I was kind of leaning that direction but from comments here and in other posts it sounds like the CZ deserves a hard look.  There is a gun show coming to town in August, hopefully there will be some of each there, I'd like to put my hands on the different models before I commit.  By coincidence I'm heading to Bulgaria tomorrow.  I'll be working with their military so I'll hit them up on what they think about their version.  Hopefully I'll get an honest assessment.  If I can get online I'll check in with y'all, if not I'll be back in a week.
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 12:32:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Ultimately you can't go wrong with any of them. That's my opinion. All were designed to be rugged, simple and last a long time in harsh environments. Likely your will be passing it down and it will be around long from now.
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 1:28:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the info and the pics, great to be able to pick the brains of folks that have real experience with a firearm instead of buying blind.  Coyotesilencer, can you do some side-by-side photos of the CZ and a Mak and a P64?  Also, are any of them known to be better shooters than others?  How about their ruggedness and reliability, any variants known to be better than the others?  I've spent some time in Poland and I really like the people so I was kind of leaning that direction but from comments here and in other posts it sounds like the CZ deserves a hard look.  There is a gun show coming to town in August, hopefully there will be some of each there, I'd like to put my hands on the different models before I commit.  By coincidence I'm heading to Bulgaria tomorrow.  I'll be working with their military so I'll hit them up on what they think about their version.  Hopefully I'll get an honest assessment.  If I can get online I'll check in with y'all, if not I'll be back in a week.

More detailed assessment (i was posting from my phone earlier);

I would forego the P64. While they are well made, the trigger sucks, and capacity is low. There are, however, wolff springs to improve the trigger pull. Not sure how well they work.

I would put the P83 in the same class as the actual PM Makarov pistols. It seems lighter and sights are a little better. Grip angle seems a little better than the PM, but that may just be me. Trigger is stiff in DA, but smooth. Mine is almost new too, so that may have something to do with it. Excellent quality. I'd put it up there with the East German made Makarovs as far as build quality. The P83 is made from stampings that are welded together, if that matters to you. Parts and mags are commonly available from Poland. I have some coming, along with WZ 88, WZ 96, and WZ 78 mags. Price was right.

Stock pic, wish aim still had them:

The CZ 82 is the cadillac. Double stack mags, ambidextrous safety and mag release. SIghts can be swapped out to modern fiber optic or night sights (cz 75 sights fit). Polygonal rifling in the barrel. Not light though, but I do carry mine every day. Stupid easy to shoot. DA/SA are both very smooth. DA feels like a good revolver. If you decide to get one in 380, they are available new, though they were discontinued for 2013. Have been made in 32 acp as well.

Not a lot of experience with PM Makarovs, other than shooting one once and handling it. No experience with the Hungarian pistols.
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 9:46:08 AM EDT
[#10]
I can fill in the blanks on the Russian maks and Hungarian.

The Russian makarov is like a Russian AK. Well built, a little rough around the edges, but reliable easy to maintain and very very accurate.

Hungarian PA-63 feels, handles and shoots like a Walther pp. But costs 1/3 the price and shoots 9mm mak which is 1/2 the price V's 380.

Sights are mil style and okay. But again barrel is pinned and that provides a excellent platform to make very accurate shots. Alloy frame on the PA63 is light and promotes a bit more bite when fired compared to steel framed pistols. But it's not bad.

Bulgarian and Russian maks have 8+1 capacity and the Hungarian PA63 holds 7+1. And the Cz82 with its 12rd capacity is king.
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 5:16:19 PM EDT
[#11]
The CZ-82 is the most modern with replacable full size sights and double stack mags. It is a solid dependable and accurate pistol.
The Makarov is a low parts count marvel, alot of parts serve double or tripple duty and are easy to totally dissasemble. I find the small sights to be very accurate and out of the 9x18's it is my personal favorite to shoot and carry.
I would say the Makarov has the best single action trigger, and the CZ-82 has the best double action trigger. The p64 has a very heavy DA trigger with a decent SA trigger, its sights are tiny, but can be shot accuratly.

Far left Makarov PM Bulgy frame Russian slide, Middle CZ-82, Right P64

CZ-82 on left, P64 on right

Makarov on left, CZ-82 on right.

Makarov on left, CZ-82 on right.

CZ-82 on left, P64 on right.

Makarov.

CZ-82

CZ-82 on top of Makarov.

Makarov on top of CZ-82.

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 9:11:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Got a chance last week to talk to a couple of Bulgarian military pax about their Makarov.  Bottom line, they like it.  They did say it is pretty heavy for the size, but the steel construction also makes it very reliable.  One guy said the only problem he has ever seen was once on the range he saw one fire twice with a single trigger pull.  This coming from a guy with over 20 years of service, not too bad of a track record for the pistol.  They mentioned the long/hard trigger pull in comparison to western pistols such as the Glock and the Beretta. They also said it is reasonably accurate.  So, nothing really different from what others here have said but figured I would pass along what they provided.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 2:44:02 PM EDT
[#13]
83 more closer to mak than 82
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 3:31:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a Bulgarian Mak and a CZ82, my son has a PA63. The Mak..8rd, single stack, fairly thin and light. Shoots very nice. Grips suck unless changed. CZ...12+1 double stack, good sights, awesome ambi grips, great feel. Shoots great, heavier than a Mak. PA is 6+1, compact, much more severe recoil unless the recoil spring is changed out with a Wolf spring. Silver Bear Hollow points expand decently.
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 4:14:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I have shot and handled East German Maks, had Russian (commercial and military), my wife currently has a Chinese (Norinco) Type 59 and I currently have a P64. If you can find a military Norinco I would get it (youre looking for low profile sights, if it has adjustable its a commercial, and garbage from what I understand). My wifes Type 59 is amazing, finish is like a mirror and accuracy is as good as my SIG. When it comes to the P64, I honestly regret getting it. I has new springs and has had the trigger group polished by an experienced gun smith. The double action trigger pull is seriously something like 20lbs, with a MASSIVE shelf in the pull and a fair amount of stacking. The thing that irritates me the most however if the stiff decocker, I have the use my off hand thumb and push it down, rather sweep it with my firing hand thumb.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top