Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2017 9:57:51 PM EDT
Asking for a co worker.  Would it be cost prohibitive and maybe a ballpark to give him an idea.  I remember reading about pitting being filled on a proper restore. No idea on make or markings yet 

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 10:05:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Cost prohibitive means different things to different people. 
Sure, it could be restored, it's metal and people can do amazing things with it. 
Piles of thousands of dollars and years of wait time is the trade off. 

Turnbull is the most well know in the market, some of the before and after pics are stunning. 

http://www.turnbullmfg.com/gun-category/restoration-gallery/before-and-after-gallery/
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 10:45:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, that can be restored to basically shooter grade. Ted Green has a guy who can weld up the pits, then dress them down. The stock lug has been shaved, so that would need to be replaced. Small parts are so damaged that they cannot be restored. All in all I'd guess that would be about a $3,000 restoration for a $1,000 gun restored.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:17:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.  I think he just wants to shoot it at this point. Its a DWM.  andywhere we can read up on this to figure out a year? And im guessing this is borderline condition to shoot because of possible metal fatigue. I had no ideas lugers cost so much till I started looking around
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 12:05:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Try forgotten weapons website and videos they might have something on it.

if they do he'll get a lot of information.

Forgotten weapons
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 11:51:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Some basic Luger information.

1) The pattern 1900 Lugers had a stock lug, a grip safety, dish type toggle knobs and were in 7.65 Luger
2) The 1902 pattern Lugers had a stock lug, a grip safety, dish type tiger knobs and were 9mm Luger.  
3) The 1906 pattern has no stock lug (except for carbine and navy models), a grip safety and flat, checkered toggle knobs and were in 9mm Luger.  
4) The pattern 1908 has no stock lug (except carbine models, no grip safety, flat, checkered toggle knobs, and were in 9mm Luger.
5) The pattern 1914 Luger had a stock lug, no grip safety (except for the special models like the Simson grip safety and Swiss Bern Model), rust blued finish, wood based magazine.
6) the 1929 Swiss Model had flat, smooth toggle knobs, grip safety, no stock lug, straight grip front strap.
7) the pattern 1934 Mauser era Lugers had flat checkered toggle knobs, no grip safety (except for special models like the Mauser Banner and Kierghoff grip safety models), stock lug, salt blued finish, aluminum base magazine.

----

DWM produced all Lugers until 1908.  After 1908 DWM made about half of the total Luger production, and after WWI, even though Simson was the only supplier for the Weimar government, DWM made thousands of commercial models and plus reworked Weimar models. DWM was merged with Mauser in 1930, with some hybrid Lugers produced  until 1934, when the DWM parts were exhausted and the Mauser pattern Luger was firmly established. All total there were about 1 million DWM Lugers - about 38% of the total production.  

Erfurt made army military model Lugers from 1910 until 1918 and were also involved in the 1920 rework program.  Erfurt production totaled 520,000 Lugers - about 21% of the total.  Erfurt examples were not as highly finished as DWM Lugers as Erfurt only made military Lugers, unlike DWM which made much of it's money on commercial Lugers.

Simson Co. produced Lugers for the Weimar Republic from 1922 until 1934, as DWM was regarded as too closely associated with the Kaisers former military industrial complex. However as a jewish owned company it closed down in 1934 after making about 12,000 Lugers - .5% of the total. Like DWM Lugers they were well made commercial quality Lugers.

Mauser absobed BKIW in 1930, and BKIW was the holding company that had owned DWM since 1922.  As noted above, there were some transitional models between 1930 and 1933, with the Mauser pattern emerging in 1934. Mauser continued to produce the Luger until early 1942, when they started producing the easier to produce Walther P.38.  Mauser produced about 1 million Lugers - about 38% of the total Luger production.

Krieghoff acquired the Luger tooling from Simson Co. and started producing Lugers for the Luftwaffe in 1934 and made a total of 13,580 Lugers by the end of 1937.  12,000 of these were delivered to the Luftwaffe, while the other 1,580 were sold on the commercial market between 1938 and 1944. Kreighoff production was about .5% of total Luger production.  

Vickers manufactured pattern 1906 Lugers for the Netherlands in 1923, when the Netherlands wanted to purchase more of this discontinued model.  The post WWI restrictions prevented DWM from making this configuration, so DWM provided rough machined parts to Vickers who finished them, roll marked them with the Vickers name and did the final assembly.  The total produced was 10,100 - .4% of total Luger production.

Waffenfabrik Bern made Lugers for the Swiss military and commercial markets from 1924 to 1929, totaling 48,000 Lugers - about 2% of the total.    

----

If you provide pictures of both sides, front, back, and top of the pistol, including any marks you can see, I can probably tell you what it is and when it was made.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 9:55:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Two pics that I had from earlier.  Will try to get more Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 1:13:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, that can be restored to basically shooter grade. Ted Green has a guy who can weld up the pits, then dress them down. The stock lug has been shaved, so that would need to be replaced. Small parts are so damaged that they cannot be restored. All in all I'd guess that would be about a $3,000 restoration for a $1,000 gun restored.
View Quote
I'm not sure about the $3,000, but I think the $1,000 after being redone is a bit too optimistic. That thing has some deep pitting and I just don't see the end result being worth much.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 9:38:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm not sure about the $3,000, but I think the $1,000 after being redone is a bit too optimistic. That thing has some deep pitting and I just don't see the end result being worth much.
View Quote
A proper restoration would have all the pits welded up and dressed down, then re engrave all markings. Many many hours of work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top