Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2017 12:18:24 AM EDT
This is my ugly project gun. Most of the parts were there except the breech bolt, grips, and ejector. It was $500. I probably have $800 in it. Nothing matches whatsoever. The slide is a 1920/1921, but the frame is 3000 serial numbers lower, so who knows. It's a century marked Frankenstein with not much rifling left to boot, but I wanted a toy. I just got it together as of right now, so range report will have to wait until tomorrow if I can wake up early enough before night shift. Whatever was supposed to be straw colored got wet sanded and polished, I figure it would look better than cold bluing it. Some of the repop stuff like the ejector I left blued.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 12:37:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Just straw the parts yourself. Prep the metal a light sanding one direction de-grease . Heat oven to 450 and bake on a sheet for 15 minutes. Remove and let air cool. Keep in mind the parts will still change color while cooling, so a pale yellow will be a bit darker after cool. Dark yellow could go purple or even a shade of blue.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 4:03:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been trying to do this. How did you do it so cheap ?
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 12:16:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been trying to do this. How did you do it so cheap ?
View Quote

Lots of patience. People want $40 for every small part and pin hoping someone needs the number to force match, I just stayed on gunbroker and eBay like a vulture waiting on cheap parts
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 4:55:07 PM EDT
[#4]
nice job!

I found a couple c96 frames and I thought of trying to do something like. seems way harder to source anything
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 1:22:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
nice job!

I found a couple c96 frames and I thought of trying to do something like. seems way harder to source anything
View Quote
I made that mistake.  Fortunately only one frame, but I got really lucky on the rest of the parts.

Not going to try my luck a second time with it though!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top