Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/11/2016 11:31:45 PM EDT
Picked this one up along with some other gun stuff at a garage sale on Sunday. Didn't actually know what it was (Luger's aren't in my knowledge base). But it looked cool though, so I figured if all else fails it'd make a great prop for a comic-con outfit.

Did some Googling tonight and it looks like these things are worth a little.

As far as I can tell from the info on Google, it is a First Issue, with telescoping thingy (not the ratcheting thingy). It's a Bing Brothers. Serial is in the 53XXX range. Finish is worn on the raised surfaces and corners a fair bit.

How do I figure out if it's in good working order and not broken? I'm not going to try to load a century old drum with a handle on it unless someone tells me how.

What's a good guess at its value, or where can I determine it's value? Condition is difficult for me to assess on something this old.

Link Posted: 7/11/2016 11:40:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd buy it :)
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 11:44:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Show a pic of the back, they made repro mags that only hold 7 rounds, but not sure if they did 1st types or not? Either way the drum is useless unless you have the loading tool, repro's if you can find them are $300 or so originals 4 times that.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 12:32:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
How do I figure out if it's in good working order and not broken? I'm not going to try to load a century old drum with a handle on it unless someone tells me how.
View Quote

Loading it and firing it empty is the only real way to determine if it's in good working order - but there are steps prior to that which could be taken to see if it's a fool's errand to even try.

Complete disassembly and inspection would be first - not like you're going to lose much value, if the spring is already broken, by having removed the broken spring and replaced it with a modern equivalent.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 12:42:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Show a pic of the back, they made repro mags that only hold 7 rounds, but not sure if they did 1st types or not? Either way the drum is useless unless you have the loading tool, repro's if you can find them are $300 or so originals 4 times that.
View Quote

SN's cropped out because it's being posted publicly:

Link Posted: 7/12/2016 12:44:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Loading it and firing it empty is the only real way to determine if it's in good working order - but there are steps prior to that which could be taken to see if it's a fool's errand to even try.

Complete disassembly and inspection would be first - not like you're going to lose much value, if the spring is already broken, by having removed the broken spring and replaced it with a modern equivalent.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Disassembly makes me nervous... This thing isn't a spring chicken, and I do not have a good grasp of this things workings.

What's the right way to disassemble this thing for inspection?
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 12:50:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Disassembly makes me nervous... This thing isn't a spring chicken, and I do not have a good grasp of this things workings.

What's the right way to disassemble this thing for inspection?
View Quote

I can't help you there, if you don't have a feel for things, or access to period documents.

Were it mine, I'd trust my instincts and start with the pins and screws in evidence, but if you lack my insight or confidence, you may have to seek further help from experts. (which may cost you $$$).
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 11:08:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I would not take it apart as there is really nothing you can do inside, besides clean out the dust bunnies. The main spring is enclosed in a metal cap and is difficult to remove. If you can pull the arm out and give it a short turn to test if there is spring tension. Be aware if you lose your grip on that handle breaking a finger is a real possibility. You have a solid $1500 mag there. Do I dare ask what you paid for it?
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 2:16:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Is this video the correct loading procedure for this magazine? Other than the lever needing to telescope rather than unfolded:

Is there any technical reason, other than "ow, my fingers", that the magazine couldn't be loaded by hand, without the loading tool?

Would a single-stack LULA work to load the mag?

Are there any weird idiosyncrasies about loading this magazine I need to know?

Is there a good reason I shouldn't load it?
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 2:39:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I didn't realize there was a single-stack UP-LULA - if so, don't see why not
Your fingerses, your magazine, your choice.

Loading it will go a long way toward proving viability.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 7:33:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Try it and find out the hard way, you may get 10-12 rounds in it, but it is just not practical to try to load it without the proper tool. Oh and when you wind that spring have a good grip on the handle. If it slips you may end up with a broken finger or two. Do also keep in mind that "if" the spring breaks you will have diminished the value of the mag by 50% or more.

Quoted:

Is this video the correct loading procedure for this magazine? Other than the lever needing to telescope rather than unfolded:

http://youtu.be/llfbAEkLl94

Is there any technical reason, other than "ow, my fingers", that the magazine couldn't be loaded by hand, without the loading tool?

Are there any weird idiosyncrasies about loading this magazine I need to know?

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 1:54:35 AM EDT
[#11]
So far I have 22 rounds in this thing by hand. It's pretty stout though. Not sure I can get many more in.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 2:20:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So far I have 22 rounds in this thing by hand. It's pretty stout though. Not sure I can get many more in.
View Quote

Yeah, there's a reason the germans made a loading tool with a pretty honking big lever for pushing each cartridge down.

Pros: Sounds like the spring is not broken and quite, quite strong.
Cons: Think you're gonna get to full capacity by hand?
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 3:53:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yeah, there's a reason the germans made a loading tool with a pretty honking big lever for pushing each cartridge down.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I doubt I can get it to full capacity by hand. Lack of leverage. I believe some company made a knock-off LULA that might fit this thing. If I get one I can try that.

Realistically though, I've established that it isn't totally broke. I think I'll just sell it to someone with more appreciation of Lugers and hopfully a loading tool.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:09:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I doubt I can get it to full capacity by hand. Lack of leverage. I believe some company made a knock-off LULA that might fit this thing. If I get one I can try that.

Realistically though, I've established that it isn't totally broke. I think I'll just sell it to someone with more appreciation of Lugers and hopfully a loading tool.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a loading tool and 2 drums already, how much?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top