Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2015 5:14:02 PM EDT
What is the best course of attack for moderate to heavy pitting on a Luger bore? Havent shot it yet so I'm not sure that it is a deal breaker as far as functionality. For all I know it may still shot fine, but I'd prefer to keep the original barrel on the gun either way.  It needs a new set of grips and a small part, and it's been refinished but I bought it dirt cheap so I dont mind a bit of work if it means I can end up with a decent shooter.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:33:34 PM EDT
[#1]
If the bore is pitted the metal is gone. There is no way to fix really fix that. Best you can do is preserve what you have.

If the throat and muzzle are in halfway decent shape it should group fine.

If the barrel has a lot of fouling, JB Bore paste can help with that.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:57:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If the bore is pitted the metal is gone. There is no way to fix really fix that. Best you can do is preserve what you have.

If the throat and muzzle are in halfway decent shape it should group fine.

If the barrel has a lot of fouling, JB Bore paste can help with that.
View Quote

I can see quite a bit of copper fouling and a bit of rust in there in addition to the pitting. The copper has actually oxidized and turned a bit greenish. I was thinking about trying the bore past to clean things up as best I can, glad to hear that's the recommendation anyway. The crown is fine as far as I can tell. The lands and grooves are still clearly visible when looking straight down the bore, there is just quite a bit of pitting. The throat isnt quite as good as the rifiling isnt terribly strong in that las 1/8th of an inch so. I suppose I shouldnt be surprised one a 100 year old pistol, especially one I paid 300 bucks for.  i just hope it shoots okay with the original barrel as it matches the receiver.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 7:28:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Contact Redmans Rifling. They reline Broomhandles to 9mm. They might reline Lugers.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:37:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I have fire lapped a lightly pitted bore to like new condition. Must not be more than frosted though.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:41:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I own an old 1920 marked P08 Luger with a bad looking bore...shoots superb. There is an older Steyr Hahn M1912 pistol in my collection with an even more worn and pitted bore..it shoots pretty decent too

That said...I tend to gravitate towards nice clean bores if possible
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:27:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Sometimes passing on the buy is the easier choice.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 12:35:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sometimes passing on the buy is the easier choice.
View Quote

For 300 bucks, even if it doesnt shoot worth a damn I've still come out ahead.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 3:09:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Soak the bore for 48 hours in hoppes...heck, you could soak the whole gun minus the wood.  It can't harm metal as its base is kerosene.  

Brush the bore with a good quality bore brush and a BRASS cleaning rod, carefully so that you don't ding anything.  

Then, get some JB bore paste and apply it liberally to the bore, patching it back and forth as described on the bottle.

Finish by removing all of the above and applying a healthy coat of CLP to prevent rust.

That is as clean as you will ever get a barrel.  It will be down to bare steel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top