Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2014 11:15:36 AM EDT
A friend of a friend is looking to get rid of a couple of her father's handguns, one of which is a P38.  I know nothing at all about these guns, and she wants me to make an offer.  I'm looking for any help on what I have here.  I'll throw the pictures in of the S&W also just for the hell of it.  It looks like a Model 10.

These are her pictures.  I haven't seen them in person yet:

Link Posted: 4/3/2014 12:39:56 PM EDT
[#1]
From what I'm getting with a little bit of research, the "ac 44" indicates the Walther factory with a production date of 1944.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 7:13:36 PM EDT
[#2]
anyone?
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 8:44:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd offer $600 for the P38 if its matching
As for the Smith, weren't those things selling extremely cheap not too long ago?
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 9:00:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd offer $600 for the P38 if its matching
As for the Smith, weren't those things selling extremely cheap not too long ago?
View Quote

Yea the Smith I know isn't worth much, especially with the rust/pitting.  I'm more concerned with the P38.  I think I can get it for a good deal, I just want to know what I'm buying.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 11:02:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Before you make offers on that P-38, make sure the barrel frame and slide all match serial number and letter suffix. Look to make sure it hasn't been reblued and it looks to have some corrosion on the left of the front sight.

Link Posted: 4/3/2014 11:28:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Before you make offers on that P-38, make sure the barrel frame and slide all match serial number and letter suffix. Look to make sure it hasn't been reblued and it looks to have some corrosion on the left of the front sight.
View Quote

I don't know if I'll really be able to inspect it before I make an offer, so I'm thinking about just throwing out a low number and taking a chance.  The gun is definitely not in mint condition.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 9:42:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Offer $400 if you're not going to be able to inspect it.
But It looks like its in pretty decent condition.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 12:25:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks like AC 42 to me.

Walther built in 1942.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 12:38:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Looks like AC 42 to me.

Walther built in 1942.
View Quote

When I zoom in on the pics its AC 44.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:22:54 PM EDT
[#10]
$400 to 475
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top