Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/9/2016 7:35:22 PM EDT
I own a pawnshop, and had one of these come through. Customer did not come back, put out for sale. Good customer of ours picked it up, brought it back same day. Wont feed at least half the time, full mag, last round, no difference. Looks like the barrel has been polished way too much, parts of the ramp have been ground/polished away. Rounds just jam straight into the ramp, sometimes catch at a 45* angle, etc etc.

Thought about  buying a barrel, but they are not available as far as I can see, and its obviously been modified.

Any options/opinions?
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 7:45:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Pics?

Just to be Certain, The barrel ramp is 'destroyed', not the frame ramp?

Any 1911 45 barrel should fit

Para used a Clark/Para ramp (C/P)

Kart barrels are  fine and the ez-fit kit can be done by you

Or a good smith can fit one but that's more money
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 8:46:21 PM EDT
[#2]

The barrel is seen much better out of the gun, but I'm about to close. Either jams like this, or straight ahead at no angle. I'll try to get better pics of the barrel tomorrow. Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 12:14:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't think that's the ramp causing that.  How is the extractor?
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 4:58:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mtgmike] [#4]
***Edit 11/11 Ordered a mecgar mag, still available, we'll see.***

Went to the range a little while ago, FTF twice in 100 rounds. I think the buyer was exaggerating, but I still want to fix it. Hell, I like it myself.

I think it may be the mag spring, watching it manually, I see that sometimes the round isnt high enough to be pushed by the slide. Reach in and tap the round and the back pops up a bit.But I had problems when the mag was fully loaded too, so there would have been more tension. Basically i should shut up because I dont know squat.

Link Posted: 11/11/2016 10:27:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCER] [#5]
You may be onto something with the mag spring, or it could be the mag itself.  I really like my paras, just too damn big for carry.

So on my 14-45s, I tore down the mags, looked for any  burrs/rough spots inside.  Small file smoothed them out.
Removed any burrs from the feed lips AND the plastic mag follower.  Cleaned them and very lightly lubed them.

You check the extractor yet? Too much tension is no bueno.   And the mag springs need to be strong. A weak spring will cause your prob.  They should be hard to load.  Nature of the hi cap 45. You should need a mag loader to get the last couple rounds in.

Edit...I have only had good luck with the para branded mags, but mine are all old, Canadian imports.  They work great.

Edit 2...I looked at my 14-45 ramps, they are unmolested, and look identical to yours.

Wolff sells a +10% power mag spring for the paras, most of mine have those.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 10:38:35 PM EDT
[#6]
And you don't have a buffer in there, do you?
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 3:42:29 PM EDT
[#7]
On my 14-45 the follower was catching on the mag release hole not allowing the rounds to come up fully. It would behave just like what you are describing. Once I filed that edge of the follower down (on all my Para mags) I have not had a single issue with feeding or extracting in over 500 rounds!
I would try that before ordering new mags or springs.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 2:18:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kaliburz] [#8]
Mags (mag spring, followers, etc)
Ammo type, as in power.  Not all ball ammo is the same power.  Certain types of ammo have less power and maybe the recoil spring is "new" still...  Sometimes a good cleaning and oiling/greasing is all that is needed....

With any FTF or FTE, I change ammo brands just to see.  Next, I try a different mag.  Next, I give it a good cleaning and lube, mag and weopon.  I usually have silicon spray for the mags.  Then I try different ammo again AFTER cleaning...

I have run into situations, that the shape of the ball ammo could be a difference.  Odd, but it can.  I have a bunch of 38 Super pistols (one is a LDA 18-9 rebarreled, Taurus, EAA) and one brand of 38 Super ammo works better in my Mech Tech upper then the rest (and the rest of the ammo work great in the pistols).  Go figure.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:07:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: motoguzzi] [#9]
Looks like you may have two problems, the recoil spring may not be set up correctly causing the round to hang up when feeding from the mag.
Also the internal extractor looks to be out of spec causing the rim to jam and not feed properly, maybe too many rounds single fed?
First thing is to try a different magazine though.

ETA - Does the last round lock the slide back?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top