Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/18/2015 2:42:09 PM EDT
Tell me about the LDAs. I am changing my carry gun to a 45.

Reliability?  Availability?  Ammo sensitivity?
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 7:49:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Been some time since I owned one, but I recall a very nice trigger pull. You must be careful when reassembling the gun after removing the slide as there is a part that can be damaged (don't remember how) if done incorrectly. The negative is that Para's seem to always get sloppy in the slide after a few hundred rounds.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 9:51:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StealthyBlagga] [#2]
Why not a traditional single action 1911? Or one of the many excellent modern compact carry .45 pistols. The LDA does not strike me as an obvious CCW candidate.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 12:13:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I am a police officer. I have to follow the rules set by my department, so it has to be double action.
Believe me, I would love to carry my wife's Kimber.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 5:07:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I am a police officer also and have carryed the 7.45 LDA sense 2001. no issues at all. I have the stainless steel model.  all mags fit and work fine from the 2 factory mags to cheap
$6 mags.

I have the Para ordnance, not the Para USA. I havent noticed any sloppy slide. when ammo was cheap i shot about 200 rds a week.  good luck finding one now.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 3:50:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice trigger pull.  Don't like the feel of the reset.  IMO it feels like it has two reset points.  Shoots nice though.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 12:15:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 1:06:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I carried a Colt 1911 until I changed jobs to an agency that didn't allow single action guns.  I switched to a LDA 7.45 and carried it for about 5 years until my agency started requiring everyone to carry department issue guns.  I never had any issues with the LDA and would probably still be carrying it today.  I got mine right after they were released and at the time they only came with a spurred hammer, preventing it from being carried in some duty holsters designed for the 1911.  Para switched the hammer to the flush hammer at no charge.  I believe they all come like this now.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 7:52:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a Carry 12 LDA purchased in 2001. In shoots great after a EGW extractor swap. Also, the double stack mags needed Wollf springs.
I would compare the smoothness of the trigger to the HK P2000sk LEM trigger, yet similar to the length of a revolver pull. Also, my slide hasn't
loosened up on rail fitment over the years. Finally, the only part that can get damaged is the hammer, should you pull the trigger with the slide
removed. There should be a couple single stack Paras floating around -- goodluck hunting
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 8:22:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: IceDiver] [#9]
I carried a 14.45 LDA for awhile.
Mine functioned fine when properly maintained. Other than DA and mag capacity - it had all the similar shortcoming that the 1911 platform has.
I went back to a glock.

Edited to add -   Mine developed a crack at the base of the hammer, and was returned to para to be repaired.

Also my instructors hated it when we went to do "Annie get your gun" since they couldn't take it apart.

(This was ~10 years ago before the 1911 craze in LE)

Link Posted: 12/11/2015 12:21:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the replies
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 12:19:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Had one for a while.  Seemed to me to take the amazingly awesome and well-loved trigger pull of a Glock and combine it with the legendary reliability of a non-custom 1911.

Mine had a pin that would back out every 50 rounds or so, and didn't care for anything other than 230 hardball, regardless of magazine.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 1:42:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a P12 LDA. I like the trigger, and it's reliable. However, I decided I want to carry something lighter so I went polymer.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 10:04:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Hated the trigger.  It was light but looonnngg.  Since I didn't buy it for carry I sold it.  The para p-12 I had, had a superior 1911 style trigger.  All I carry is DAO,    What ever you shoot best and allowed to carryshould be your choice.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 10:03:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I am 3000.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 4:11:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I just took a recently purchased LDA Colonel model to range today.  It's a Canadian gun, not US.

It is the only 1911 I've ever had that didn't care about bullet profile or overall length.  HP, RN, FN, SWC, it didn't matter, it ate everything I ran through it.

It is a fun gun for me.  Too damn heavy to even think about carrying.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top