Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/12/2015 7:32:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0]
I finally got the Kopis out to the range- it took like a year- a byproduct of working all the time.  I had an initial favorable impression with the pistol, - there were a couple mechanical and functional issues - needed to swap the grips for smooth micarta for carry comfort (originals would have cheese grated my skin right off), had to pretty aggressively modify the mag catch so that I could slam a magazine into the well without pushing the button (this part was denting magazine bodies and not working properly).  I had a third bad component geometry problem in the form of the guide rod head press fitting itself into the circular cutout in the frame in front of the slide stop pin hole- locking up the gun and making it very difficult to disassemble (because the guide rod was stuck in the frame).  I put that part in a collet and turned that circular boss rear of the guide rod head down to a size that would slip into the frame and not smash itself into that area and get stuck.   I also 45 degree chamfered the top left and right corners of the Bomar style sight blade because they printed really bad carrying the gun and were sharp corners that would have played hell on shirt lifespans.  That's another thing they should have done in part sourcing IMO.  My front sight was not pressed into the frame center of the slide so I drifted that prior to hitting the range.  The trigger's safety mechanism makes the trigger heavier than a std 1911 trigger, and I was only able to safely drop trigger weight to around 3.75lbs

Those issues above are obviously a BIG deal and Para really should solve them if they haven't already.  But on the range I had a good experience.  My first 3 rounds at 10 yards were in the same hole about .5"CTC - POI was about .25" right at that distance.   I made a couple sight adjustments and took the pistol back to 25 yds, and shot a couple 5" groups at 25 offhand.  All shooting was offhand.  The pistol really shot well and I'm happy with that.

I had a couple malfunctions - the last round in the magazine wanted to flip upward and stovepipe live (AKA not an ejection issue- a feeding issue).  That magazine was a Kimber Tac Mag.  I didn't like the Para mag's mecgar basepad which was a large ugly piece of plastic.  I'm going to try a Wilson 47D next time I hit the range and see if that solves it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:19:23 PM EDT
[#1]

I have only Para X full size and newly built Elite Commander slide on Colt frame with all new innards and barrel. Para X was always accurate, Hope the Commander will be as good.

Never heard of Kopis, can you post pics?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top