Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2015 11:24:51 AM EDT
looking at getting my first gun in .45. I own .40's because of capacity but now that I've seen that there are some higher cap .45's on the market, I'm interested. Can anyone in the know give me some feedback on this model? How does the para stack up against Springfield? I'm looking at the xdm 5.25" in .45 as well. Thanks for the help guys!
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:16:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I had three.

Now I have none.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 1:42:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I've owned a P14-45 for about five years now.  I've had really good luck with mine; it eats any type of ammo I feed it, is very accurate, and is a very nice handgun, overall.  That said, there were some production issues with Para several years back, but it seems that the issues shooters experienced have since been fixed.

I feel the Para may hold up better over time than the XD, but that's just speculation.  Accuracy-wise, my Para and my brother-in-law's XD(M) are both pretty top-notch.  I do really like the grip on the XD(M) more, however.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 1:45:51 PM EDT
[#3]
First 1911 I ever owned, great gun. Sold it after I got into the single stack 1911'S. Mine was all steel. It's hit or miss, there are better options out there today.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 2:19:08 PM EDT
[#4]
So far 66% positive. My only concern was the feeding issues that I've heard about in double stacked .45's. I have heard that these were corrected after dealing with the mag spring. I am not a brand Nazi. I just want a solid work piece that will get the job done and have the qualities I am looking for. The XDM and P-14 fit the qualities...now I'm just weighing out functional issues with experience. I am very grateful for the feedback thus far guys!
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 6:17:06 PM EDT
[#5]
People seem to love them or hate them, some of them seem to give people a lot of trouble. I love mine, it has never given me any trouble and is accurate and fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:11:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I was at the local Bass Pro tonight and noted that all the P14's (all in the 14 round variety) were $1200-$1300 range. This blew my mind because the others I had seen were half the price (online shopping and other local gun store). Have you guys noted the price variance?
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 6:53:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I have had feeding issues with brand new magazines loaded completely full.  What I did was load them to 12, and while I watch TV, I compressed and uncompressed the last bit of the magazine spring using my UP-lula magazine loader.  one night of doing that and my forearms were sore from the workout and my gun ran smoothly.  

My first 14.45 went back to the factory because of feed issues and it would occaisionally "lock-up" with a round in the chamber and the slide about 1/8" back.  couldn't do anything with it but shake and bang and it eventually came undone. (slide would move about 1/8", but that's it).  The first time I called it a fluke, the second time I packed it up and sent it in.  They told me the frame was out of spec and slipped through QA, sent me a new pistol and magazines.  

Same feeding issues happened, so I called the guy.  He told me that until I ran a couple hundred rounds through each magazine, they'd do that for the first round or two.  So rather then run ammo through it, I just compressed the springs.  Ever since, no problems.  

It eats any ammo (including steel-cased) and works like a charm.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 12:34:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By austinrob:
I have had feeding issues with brand new magazines loaded completely full.  What I did was load them to 12, and while I watch TV, I compressed and uncompressed the last bit of the magazine spring using my UP-lula magazine loader.  one night of doing that and my forearms were sore from the workout and my gun ran smoothly.  

My first 14.45 went back to the factory because of feed issues and it would occaisionally "lock-up" with a round in the chamber and the slide about 1/8" back.  couldn't do anything with it but shake and bang and it eventually came undone. (slide would move about 1/8", but that's it).  The first time I called it a fluke, the second time I packed it up and sent it in.  They told me the frame was out of spec and slipped through QA, sent me a new pistol and magazines.  

Same feeding issues happened, so I called the guy.  He told me that until I ran a couple hundred rounds through each magazine, they'd do that for the first round or two.  So rather then run ammo through it, I just compressed the springs.  Ever since, no problems.  

It eats any ammo (including steel-cased) and works like a charm.
View Quote

So it seems that it is a break in issue rather than just a continual functional/QC one then. That is good to hear, thanks!
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 6:04:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Pr3ach3r:
So far 66% positive. My only concern was the feeding issues that I've heard about in double stacked .45's. I have heard that these were corrected after dealing with the mag spring. I am not a brand Nazi. I just want a solid work piece that will get the job done and have the qualities I am looking for. The XDM and P-14 fit the qualities...now I'm just weighing out functional issues with experience. I am very grateful for the feedback thus far guys!
View Quote

My original magazines never failed in the gun, but when unloading them the rounds would start to hang up in the magazine after the first 3 or 4.

I tired greasing the springs, no luck.

Ordered new springs and they were made different than the original springs and now the magazines unload in, or out of the gun just fine.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:10:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By M1A4ME:

My original magazines never failed in the gun, but when unloading them the rounds would start to hang up in the magazine after the first 3 or 4.

Ordered new springs and they were made different than the original springs and now the magazines unload in, or out of the gun just fine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By M1A4ME:
Originally Posted By Pr3ach3r:

Were the springs stiffer? I'm wondering if the problem was/is due to weak spring steel.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:18:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Based on the hit-or-miss reviews on the internet about Para guns, I'd go with the Springfield instead.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 3:51:16 AM EDT
[#12]
I have had really good luck with my Paras.  I have an alloy and a steel P14, both canadian made.
The mags can be finicky, but with new springs and some polishing of the inside, they are 100%.

My older steel frame P14 must have over 25k thru it, and she keeps chugging along.

They really seem overpriced right now, no way they are worth that $$.   You can get an STI 2011 for a bit more,
but the mags are stupid expensive.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 11:19:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Mine works perfect . Purchased in 2012. Never had any issues .
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 10:11:07 AM EDT
[#14]
I had a stainless 14-45. It sure was pretty, but you need gorilla sized hands to hold it (like holding a 2x4) and was quite heavy with a full magazine. I sold it and got a Springfield XD 45  for high capacity and a couple of single stack 1911s to scratch my 1911 itch. Couldn't be happier!
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 10:28:25 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't have any of the current us made paras, mine are all Canadian.  And they are great shooters.  Try and get a used P14 for 600 or so.  It will probably be a Canadian gun.

The XDm would be a solid choice, and springers warranty is great.  Paras, idk how good. Heard a lot of bad actually.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 4:01:35 PM EDT
[#16]
I picked up a Para LDA Colonel model, commander length with threaded barrel for $400 last week. It is a Canadian made gun and uses P14 mags.  

I took it to the range today and I will be selling my Springfield.  I actually like the LDA trigger.  It reminds me of a 3lb glock trigger.

It ate several loads that choke my Springfield.  The only HP my Springfield likes in the XTP.  

The Para ate 185 gr HP's, 200 gr LSWC's, 230 lead RN, 200 plated RN, 230 gr HPs of multiple flavors, 230 FMJ RN.  Bullet profile and OAL didn't seem to matter.  It just plain ran.

It was exceptionally accurate and recoil was a lot tamer than I expected, I guess due to the wider grip spreading recoil out over a larger surface area.  Muzzle flip reminded me of my G19, maybe slightly less.  It is my favorite 45 without a doubt.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 3:24:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GONIF] [#17]
I have 2 Para ordinance that were made in Canada and 1 stainless p14 expert Para USA and all have been flawless . I just got myP14  Para USA back from the gunsmith NELSON FORD  and I had all the MIM parts replaced with forged parts Sear ,Hammer and now I have a smooth, crisp,3 pound pull with an outstanding short reset . The other 2 will also get this upgrade .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top