Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2010 4:41:00 PM EDT
Disclaimer, I am not associated with Hatfield's Gunsmithing, other than being a customer.

This is a new product I discovered at my local gunsmith shop, Hatfield’s, in Manassas, Virginia.  I thought this was a cool unit for its intended purpose.  

Sam Hatfield, the owner and former armorer for the AMU, designed and built these units to assist with one-handed operations of the Glock slide, and more.  From what I understand, he will be soon coming out with one for the M&P – which was specifically requested by one of his customers who has use of only one arm.  

Other than one-handed operations, the Hatfield's Racker, can help with expedient operation of the slide…slingshot, malfunction clearing, etc…

Installation is quick and easy.  Simply remove the existing slide plate cover, and replace with the Racker.  About 5 seconds, and you’re done.  

As you can see, the internal shape of the Racker matches that of the original slide plate.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f108/fodder1/102_5528.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f108/fodder1/102_5529.jpg

I have done many dry-fire exercises with the Racker, but have not been to the range with it, yet.  

Use of the Racker in place of your rear sights for slide manipulations on pants, belt, etc... is quite a bit easier.  You have no chance of missing your garment, or having it slip.  There is some definite positive contact.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f108/fodder1/102_5535.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f108/fodder1/102_5534.jpg

One of the side motivations for the Racker, according to Sam, is to assist female shooters with operating the slide.  With the potential of weaker grip-strength, the Racker gives a bit more purchase for easy operation.  Additionally, if you have a slippery residue on your slide, or if you are wearing gloves, the Racker can assist with that, especially under stress.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f108/fodder1/102_5530.jpg

Personally, I can see the benefits of using this unit, for the above listed reasons…primarily, one-handed operations of the slide.  However, there are some challenges.  Primarily with conceal carry.  The Racker will add about ¼ inch to the profile of the rear of your slide.  In winter, no worries.  In summer, with only a t-shirt on, maybe.   But, maybe not.  I think it will depend on the body type and how you carry.  For “combat” carry, I can defiantly see the advantages.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f108/fodder1/102_5532.jpg

Once I get out for some range time later this week, I will post a live fire update.

Overall, a nice little addition to your Glock, and soon your M&P.
Link Posted: 6/8/2010 6:42:42 PM EDT
[#1]
That is going to interfere with IWB carry.
Link Posted: 6/8/2010 7:07:51 PM EDT
[#2]
interesting. i wonder if my wife would be able to benefit from that.
Link Posted: 6/8/2010 7:20:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I know mine would.  She loves the Glock 23 but has some difficulty with racking the slide.  I'm gonna pick one up for her when I get back to the states.
Link Posted: 6/8/2010 7:35:36 PM EDT
[#4]
mine shoot's my 19 really well.  

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know mine would.  She loves the Glock 23 but has some difficulty with racking the slide.  I'm gonna pick one up for her when I get back to the states.

Link Posted: 6/9/2010 2:20:31 PM EDT
[#5]
EGADS!!!!

cool idea, but $47!!!!

i'd love to put one on my wife's glock as well- she can just BARELY get the slide on a G17.

Link Posted: 6/9/2010 2:23:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/9/2010 2:35:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Meh, that's what the rear sight is for.
Link Posted: 6/9/2010 6:50:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Other than for someone with a disability, I don't get it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2010 7:28:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Women have problems because no one's bothered to teach them to do it properly.  Men have enough grip and forearm strength that it doesn't matter how they do it, women don't.

Link Posted: 6/9/2010 7:37:34 PM EDT
[#10]
really?  myself and a couple of firearms instructors couldn't get my wife to rack any of 20 different handguns correctly from Kahr, Walther, Glock, and S&W to Sig and Beretta from .22 to 9mm

Quoted:

Women have problems because no one's bothered to teach them to do it properly.  Men have enough grip and forearm strength that it doesn't matter how they do it, women don't.  

Link Posted: 6/9/2010 8:42:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Funny, the first thing I thought of when I saw it was those old Marksman BB pistols that shot BB, pellets and darts.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2010 9:47:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
really?  myself and a couple of firearms instructors couldn't get my wife to rack any of 20 different handguns correctly from Kahr, Walther, Glock, and S&W to Sig and Beretta from .22 to 9mm
Quoted:

and she's using a full hand grip over the top of the slide and push/pulling with her shoulders? Not saying your wrong, just that my great grandmother could do it @ almost 100 (much to our surprise... And delight)
Link Posted: 6/10/2010 12:41:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Sure wouldn't work with the thumbreak holsters I use.

I only see it being useful for those who are disabled/impaired in one hand/arm.  For them, this might present an advantage.

Link Posted: 6/10/2010 1:10:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Wouldn't work with many of my holsters. Also looks like it would dig into your hip a bit even with a holster with no sweat guard.

Link Posted: 6/10/2010 4:05:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Just something else to snag and lower reliability
Link Posted: 6/10/2010 4:57:35 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea, really.  My 88 year old Mother with arthritic hands can rack the slide of a
Glock once I showed her how to do it.  So unless your wife has something wrong in her hands, elbows or wrists, proper technique can completely replace grip strength.  I've NEVER met a healthy woman that couldn't rack a full size pistol slide once taught properly.  I taught a 75 year old client just the other day.  She also swore to me that she had "many instructors" try to teach her how and they all gave up on her.  I had her racking the slide of my S&W 4553 inside 10 minutes.

Link Posted: 6/10/2010 11:50:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I only see it being useful for those who are disabled/impaired in one hand/arm.  For them, this might present an advantage.

Like when you get shot in a gunfight and can only use 1 hand?  

Honestly I'm not sure I really see the need for this product as all my glocks have straight rear sights I can use to rack 1-handed.
Like these

and these

Ramped "no snag" sights (like those that come standard with the M&P) "no-snag" in the wrong direction and inhibit manipulation of the slide 1-handed off of a belt, holster, etc.

Link Posted: 6/11/2010 2:33:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like when you get shot in a gunfight and can only use 1 hand?  

Yes, read all the above posts.  That is what proper training is for.  One o' my arm's damaged in a fight, I can rack the slide, if needed, one-handed, same as you.  Don't need a gimmick to do it.

OP posted the exact same post, exact same day, over on Lightfighter.  I'm not convinced he had nothing to do with the company marketing these......................just sayin'.
Link Posted: 6/11/2010 2:46:12 AM EDT
[#19]
OP posted the exact same post, exact same day, over on Lightfighter.  I'm not convinced he had nothing to do with the company marketing these......................just sayin'.

As I said, I have nothing to do with Hatfield's other than being a customer.  I saw the product there, and decided to give it a try.  In doing so, I thought there might be value to those on the forums I most frequent.  Yes, I posted the same post on Lightfighter, and you will also see one on Glocktalk...becuase, as I said - those are the forums I visit.  

You like it, don't like it -  i don't care.  If you don't like my review, so be it.  If by posting the review, I've provided someone who could use this, than great.  If not, I'm at no loss.

Link Posted: 6/11/2010 7:20:24 AM EDT
[#20]
I could see someone designing a laser into that little doo-dad.  Might be interesting......
Link Posted: 6/11/2010 9:33:28 AM EDT
[#21]

Originally
Posted By nicholsmf:

Originally
Posted By Rocksarge:

interesting. i wonder if my wife would be
able to benefit from that.

I know mine would.  She loves
the Glock 23 but has some difficulty with racking the slide.  I'm gonna
pick one up for her when I get back to the states.

If your woman has trouble cycling the slide on a Glock:

http://www.amazon.com/Glock-Cocking-Handle-Firearm-Accessories/dp/B00266ADOE
Quoted:

I could see someone designing a laser into that little doo-dad.  Might be interesting......

Somebody built a laser into the rear sight. Similar concept to what you mentioned:
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009/01/24/laserlyte-rear-sight-laser-rl-1/

Link Posted: 6/11/2010 9:38:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/11/2010 9:13:26 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

As I said, I have nothing to do with Hatfield's other than being a customer.  I saw the product there, and decided to give it a try.  In doing so, I thought there might be value to those on the forums I most frequent.  Yes, I posted the same post on Lightfighter, and you will also see one on Glocktalk...becuase, as I said - those are the forums I visit.  

You like it, don't like it -  i don't care.  If you don't like my review, so be it.  If by posting the review, I've provided someone who could use this, than great.  If not, I'm at no loss.

You "most frequent"?  Dude, you joined Lightfighter like 5 years ago, and have 4 posts.  Seriously.

Link Posted: 6/12/2010 5:05:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You "most frequent"?  Dude, you joined Lightfighter like 5 years ago, and have 4 posts.  Seriously.

Clearly, a person doesn't need to post senseless drivel to frequent anything.  Unlike many, I don't wear my post count as a badge of honor; I rely on other, more important and tangible, aspects of my life.  

Apparently, I have put you on the defensive and hurt your feelings by not caring about your opinion.  I didn't realize how sensitive some folks could be...I am very sorry.

Link Posted: 6/12/2010 3:15:13 PM EDT
[#25]
To me it's another "WTF?" accessory...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top