Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2010 9:59:58 PM EDT
http://www.pistolandpawn.com/

I've seen too many good deals there. Has anyone bought there? Is it what they say it is? Is everything in good condition? If that place is safe to buy I think I am going to buy a couple of things.

Thank you for your feed back.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 3:44:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Same here. I see a lot of good deals, but i am wary of odering from them. Tag for interest.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 8:09:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I have been to Larrys many, many times as I am in Alabama and in Huntsville on a regular basis. Its a cool store, with a huge inventory for whatever you are looking for. They have a range attached to the store which is a nice plus. Their selection of used guns, especially rifles is huge. I have never bought anything from Larry's, although their prices are pretty much in line with what I see in my shops in Birmingham. I wouldn't say they are the cheapest, more like a middle of the pack store.

Biggest issue with Larry's is the people working there. They are at the point where they have enough business so they don't have to be overly friendly or helpful. Its very hard to get anyone to talk to you or show you something in the case. Most of the time it is 3 people deep around the display cases. If you know what you want, Larrys probably has it and I would feel ok buying it there. But don't expect to get much in opinions or questions answered if you are unsure of a purchase.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 9:38:30 AM EDT
[#3]
That's my local shop and they are always packed so don't feel put off if you can't find anyone to help you right away. I always find someone that is helping another customer and let them that i'd like some help when they are finished..... They have great prices and I never have problems with them.....
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 9:59:23 AM EDT
[#4]
that's hilarious.

I saw this thread, and thought "that can't be Larry's in Huntsville"
small world...
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:13:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
that's hilarious.

I saw this thread, and thought "that can't be Larry's in Huntsville"
small world...

it's a small world afterall

plug also for madison guns just down the parkway.

aloha
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:32:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Crap, I was just down in Huntsville on some Gov'ment business and I didn't see Larry's Pawn. Did stop into Madison's Gun Shop.....I was NOT impressed. Prices seemed a little above average from what I am used to and the guys in there were not the friendliest of gunshop owners I have come across. Just my opinion.
WW
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 1:21:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Larrys is ok. They have a good selection and usually ok prices, but.....

The place is always packed
They never answer there phone/email
The employees don't seem to know much about what they are selling

The range is ok, but no rapid fire allowed and $10 each time you go.

Madison Guns has a poor selection and high prices, but their transfer fee is reasonable and since its never busy its easier to get in and out of there, so I do all my transfers through them.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 1:40:03 PM EDT
[#8]
$45 dollars for a transfer is far from reasonable....
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 1:40:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have been to Larrys many, many times as I am in Alabama and in Huntsville on a regular basis. Its a cool store, with a huge inventory for whatever you are looking for. They have a range attached to the store which is a nice plus. Their selection of used guns, especially rifles is huge. I have never bought anything from Larry's, although their prices are pretty much in line with what I see in my shops in Birmingham. I wouldn't say they are the cheapest, more like a middle of the pack store.

Biggest issue with Larry's is the people working there. They are at the point where they have enough business so they don't have to be overly friendly or helpful. Its very hard to get anyone to talk to you or show you something in the case. Most of the time it is 3 people deep around the display cases. If you know what you want, Larrys probably has it and I would feel ok buying it there. But don't expect to get much in opinions or questions answered if you are unsure of a purchase.

Wow.  That is too familiar.  

The biggest gunshop in Charlotte, Hyatt's Gun Shop, has been around since the early sixties.  

They have good inventory but the lame sales staff that work there are just godawful. Personalities like barbed wire.  
And there are about 30 of them.  Sour ex leo types.  I don't understand their attitudes; they draw a pension but resent working on the gun counter.
If you don't want to sell, and help folks with firearms –– do something else.

My wife and I recently heard one of the "counter guys" rack a shotgun and tell the potential customer that,( f*ck I hate to say this cliche,) "Yep, just the sound of this in the middle of the night..."

Prices higher than the fur on a cat's back.  For example check this out.  

http://www.hyattgunstore.com/Sig-Sauer-P238-HD-.380-ACP-Pistol-with-Stainless-Frame-and-Slide-G10-Grips-and-SIGLITE-Night-Sights.html

Luckily, there are lots of other gun dealers around.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 1:48:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The last 3 transfers I did at MG was $20. Did they raise it?
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 1:50:32 PM EDT
[#11]

They never answer there phone/email

Great online prices is what caught my attention.  Paid off 50/50, as it has been an ongoing effort on my part, with rather little on theirs, to fix their mistake on the order.  I've requested them to cancel the part of the order they made a mistake on since their mistake has been dragging on for a month, so hopefully they'll get to crediting my card sooner rather than later.  

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 2:49:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Larry's is definitely the goto spot but still expensive till big sale days.  other than madison there's gander mt. and wally world just to check on ammo (not much and do they still have that limit in place?).  but 3 "real" gun shops in a small town that's not bad.   wait, there was a new dicks sporting too.  hello huntsville, roll tide and all that.  oh yeah and firehouse subs rocks.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 3:52:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

YUP!!!!!

http://www.madisongunsandammo.com/madisonguns-transfers.php
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 4:01:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

YUP!!!!!

Good lord!
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 4:27:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

YUP!!!!!

Good lord!

I used athens guns for transfer yesterday..... they do transfers for free but they are about 30 min. away.

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 4:38:27 PM EDT
[#16]
You guys are so lucky you have such variety. I live in Yuma, AZ and almost every gun is overpriced. Just get this, I know it's not the AK forum but Sprague's Sports is selling a WASR 10/63 for $750!!! Most handguns are overpriced by about $100. We have 4 stores to choose from but most of their prices are very similar.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 4:43:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

YUP!!!!!

Good lord!

I used athens guns for transfer yesterday..... they do transfers for free but they are about 30 min. away.

I recently moved out to Harvest, I'll have to try Athens out.

I'm not paying 45 bucks for a transfer, thats insane.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 5:09:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Thats how I feel about it. Im in hazel green just 10 min. from harvest.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:21:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

YUP!!!!!

Good lord!

thats good info, Larrys used to do it for 20 bucks, but stopped about a year ago and jacked the prices up.  Id been going there for 25 years regulary, but rarely now since jacking up the price.  BTW, they used to be the highest volume dealer in the country, may still be.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:55:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Madison Guns is terrible. No selection, overpriced and weird layout. Kinda wide open and everything is white with a few guns scattered about. Their long gun inventory is bs. They were friendlier than Larry's, guess cause they get about an eighth of larry's traffic.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 8:04:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Wow.  That is too familiar.  

The biggest gunshop in Charlotte, Hyatt's Gun Shop, has been around since the early sixties.  

They have good inventory but the lame sales staff that work there are just godawful. Personalities like barbed wire.  
And there are about 30 of them.  Sour ex leo types.  I don't understand their attitudes; they draw a pension but resent working on the gun counter.
If you don't want to sell, and help folks with firearms –– do something else.

My wife and I recently heard one of the "counter guys" rack a shotgun and tell the potential customer that,( f*ck I hate to say this cliche,) "Yep, just the sound of this in the middle of the night..."

Prices higher than the fur on a cat's back.  For example check this out.  

http://www.hyattgunstore.com/Sig-Sauer-P238-HD-.380-ACP-Pistol-with-Stainless-Frame-and-Slide-G10-Grips-and-SIGLITE-Night-Sights.html

Luckily, there are lots of other gun dealers around.  

Whoa, that's a lot for that gun. I just picked up a P238 a couple weeks ago and paid under $600. It was the Equinox model as well, which usually commands a higher price...
I was planning on hitting up Hyatt guns for the first time soon, but I guess it's not worth it

Carolina Sport Arms has decent prices on their "sale" guns. The sales staff in there is hit or miss. When I first moved to NC I went to CSA because I saw an HK P30 on sale for a good price on their website. One of the older guys was helping me out, after stating that I wanted to buy the P30 he asked me if I had my purchase permit. I didn't know what the hell a purchase permit was, in the state I moved from everything was handled at the gun shop. So the sales guy finds out I don't have a permit and basically blows me off and walked away from me, leaving me hanging. The sale was ending the next day and the price would increase by about $100. So I tracked down a younger dude that had a great attitude and asked him if there was a way for me to lock-in the sale price while I got my permit. He was very helpful and I ended up getting the sales price and they held the gun for me until I returned with my permit.

While I was putting partial payment down on the weapon, the older gentlman that was helping me before saw me paying the younger guy and got pissed.

I didn't care a bit, I just grinned real big
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 4:30:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Larry's brick and mortar prices may be average, but when Larry's runs an online special, it is hard to beat. I have never bought from them, but if they keep flashing those prices around i may bite.

I saw one of their deals lately, it was a CZ P07 Duty for $400.
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 10:53:08 AM EDT
[#23]
I used to work at Larry's during summers in HS and some during college way back in the 80's.  There used to be a trophy shop attached that was run by his bro-in-law...

I go to Huntsville very regularly as I have 2 kids going to UA-Huntsville.  In terms of gun stores and selection - Larry's is probably the best gun store that I have ever been to - including when I lived in TX and especially here in GA.  It does get very crowded which takes some of the fun out of going there.  During the post election ammo frenzy, Larry's seemed to always have ammo when everyone else was out.

I would not hesitate to purchase a gun there myself.
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 4:02:41 PM EDT
[#24]
I purchased a Ruger Blackhawk in .44 special (over the phone) and a stripped Sabre Defence lower (online) from Larry's last year and was happy with both transactions.  Good prices and no hassles.  I would not hesitate to buy from Larry's again.
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 4:16:20 PM EDT
[#25]
I shop at Larry's frequently.  They are very busy and the sales people can get frazzled, but they almost always have what I need and have a competent armorer on site.  I don't think that Larry treats his folks very well.  I've gotten to know a couple of the sales people and they usually have recommendations for items they know I might be interested in.

Even when ammo was very dry, Larry had ammo stockpiled.  You had to pay for that completeness, but it was there if you needed it.  Their .223 plinking ammo is cheaper than the Wal-Mart 100 packs.

I would do business with Larry's via mailorder or Gunbroker, as I've heard he advertises there.

The range fee is 10 bucks, LE and military shoot for free on Tuesdays.  Depending which rangemaster is on duty, you can ask him for permission to do a magazine or two of rapid fire.  Oh, and they have one rangemaster who claims to be a former marine sniper and SF.  I chuckle to myself when I hear him tell his "A Team" stories to customers.

Madison Guns and Ammo has two stores in the area, too... but they are VERY proud of their weapons and ammo.  People are very nice, but the prices drove me away.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top