BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 9:08:18 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
XS sights are something you either like or you dont. If you voice criticism against them, proponents of them will automatically state you dont know what you are talking about. I tried them for a period of several months and canned them. I get faster and more accurate hits using conventional notch and post sights. And yes; those hits range from square range work to force on force situations.

Why did you not like them? Accuracy issues or speed? What do you use now?

thanks
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 12:31:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I got to shoot XS big dots for the first time during Fighting Pistol with Tactical Response. After I borrowed the pistol I was hoping we would be doing some more easy heart/brain shooting. instead, they had us paste up a series of 1" circles over the hearts of our targets. I was a little nervous because I had never shot with them before. But, I just covered up the circle with the 'golf ball' and pressed to the rear looking for that suprise break. Here is the target.

While the times when I really jerked the trigger are apparent, The times when I took my time and went for the suprise break are too. I am not a super strong shooter, and I was proud of this result.

We later did shooting while moving back to cover, and I was able to put all 15 in the heart as I retreated from 0yds to about 5yds. The same story with advancing. I was very happy with the result and promptly bought some. I had TRUGLO's on before and they were transplanted to my wifes gun. I like the TRUGLO's, but I really see the power of the Big Dots. I have further reinforced my liking of them through many range sessions and IDPA matches.

I heart big dots.

Next time i get the bank, i'll throw a set on my G26.

Best,
Mark
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 3:20:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Well yesterday (Saturday) I was able to really work with my G26/Big Dot combo.  I was determined to learn how to use these new sights.  I set up some targets out to 7 yards and had my magazines loaded up.  I'm glad to say that I *finally* figured these sights out as I was able to keep my shots within a 2 inch dot after some practice.  I found it easier and faster to setup my sight picture with the Big Dots.  Looks like these sights are a keeper on my G26.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 5:55:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I find Big Dots really easy to use - put the dot on the target and press the trigger - I don't worry about rear sight alignment unless I'm back farther.

Check out the videos:
How to use XS Big Dots - Video
Distance Shooting with XS Big Dots
XS Sight Install

Stay safe,
Mike
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:02:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Seems like you'd be shooting low at longer distance?????????
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:46:28 AM EDT
[#6]
youll be shooting low a distance equal to the distance between the center of the big dot and the top of the big dot. Which is probably () less than the error that most shooters would introduce themselves at 35+ yards.

Using the top of the big dot just allows you to make out what you're shooting at, just like in traditional sights.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

mark
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:59:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 11:30:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I loved them on my G26.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 1:51:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I just noticed the XS sites mentioned in a SWAT article by Denny Henson. He used them on his AK.  The article he wrote was on moving while shooting.  ymmv

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 1:53:05 PM EDT
[#10]
that should be "sights".  
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:10:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I wonder if DELTA uses them.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:14:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I loved them on my G26.

I'm hoping that I will see more love for the Big Dots as time goes on.  I was only shooting with them on my G26 up close (7 yards) on Saturday just to get a feel of them.  Next open day, I'm going to set my targets out to 15 yards first and see how that goes then out to 25 yards.  I don't plan to shoot any farther than 25 yards.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:46:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I loved them on my G26.

I'm hoping that I will see more love for the Big Dots as time goes on.  I was only shooting with them on my G26 up close (7 yards) on Saturday just to get a feel of them.  Next open day, I'm going to set my targets out to 15 yards first and see how that goes then out to 25 yards.  I don't plan to shoot any farther than 25 yards.

I've shot man-sized steel at 100 with my Big Dots on my G19.  Friends have done the same with a G26 - I have yet to try it with a G26

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:49:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:21:09 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I wonder if DELTA uses them.  

They don't.

From the book I read they use a quick sight picture focusing more on the target and just bringing the pistol up and shooting.  And this was before the days of big dots.  I don't completely understand it, but I can pretend to.  I practice it in my house against the painting of my great Grandpa and could see how you could be pretty accurate (at close range) without even focusing on the front sight.  But I've yet to really try it at the range even.

Either way, I don't think the big dots are a solution to all problems.  I think it's got more to do with practice and putting into practice what works.  I far prefer a traditional set of sights.  I've shot at quite a distance and can not see how I could do that with those on it.  I have witnesses of hitting a man sized torso with my M9 at 200 yards.  I know it sounds crazy, but oh well.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:47:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:42:58 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
XS sights are something you either like or you dont. If you voice criticism against them, proponents of them will automatically state you dont know what you are talking about. I tried them for a period of several months and canned them. I get faster and more accurate hits using conventional notch and post sights. And yes; those hits range from square range work to force on force situations.

Why did you not like them? Accuracy issues or speed? What do you use now?

thanks

Decrease in the level of accuracy I desire in a carry weapon.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:55:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Thank you JohnWayne77 for the explanation.  I'm afraid some people will think I was goofy for saying what I did.  I will try and incorporate more of that shooting at the range.  I just have been doing it dry firing at present.  And I haven't shot my pistols as much as I'd like to lately.

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:00:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:41:02 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
youll be shooting low a distance equal to the distance between the center of the big dot and the top of the big dot. Which is probably () less than the error that most shooters would introduce themselves at 35+ yards.

Wouldn't your error actually increase as distance increases?  You'd be introducing an error in degrees/MOA that corresponded to the distance between the center of the big dot and top of the big dot.  The only way I can see that the distance would remain constant is if the bore remained completely perpendicular to gravity, and the bullet remained parallel to the ground throughout its flight.  In other words, it'd have to behave like laser.  We're shooting a projectile along a ballistic path, so have to play with angles.

Using a random example, here are my calculations.  I have no idea what the actual offset is in MOA.  Say at muzzle contact distance, you've got an error of 3 MOA.  At such close range, it'd be no problem.  5 yards, You'd be looking at 0.15" offset.  10 yards, 0.3"; 20 yards 0.6"; 25 yards 0.75"; 50 yards 1.5"; and 100 yards 3".  Even those calculations assume no gravity (and hence, no bullet drop), wind, Coriolis effect, height of sights over bore at extreme close range, or butterfly sneezing in Brazil.

It's a minor point, and I'm certainly not precise enough with a handgun to notice a 0.75" offset at 25 yards.  Just thought I'd chime in with my back of the napkin geometry calculations.  

I could be wrong, though - "Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a ballistician."
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:59:12 AM EDT
[#21]
The sight's size doesn't change, so the error in MOA shouldn't change whether you center the dot, or shoot from the top of the dot. You're not sighting off of the rear notch with the top of the big dot. You're using the same 'DOT THE I' thing, but just using the top of the post for the precise shot. There is no elevation built into the sights, that I'm aware of, so I assume that from the muzzle of the gun, bullet path and line of sight through the BIGDOTS are parallel. Also, I was just ignoring bullet drop, inherent bullet accuracy and gun accuracy, and coriolis effect () for 0-25 yards. These errors would be the same regardless of what sights you were using, anyway.

Allow MS Paint to explain what I mean...

Therefore, by my precise calculations, the error is about the radius of the dot. which is less than the diameter of a bullet.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:47:15 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
From the book I read they use a quick sight picture focusing more on the target and just bringing the pistol up and shooting.

This is called a "flash" sight picture or a "threat focused" sight picture. It is appropriate for closer range engagement with a handgun, anywhere from 3 yards up to 10 or 15 depending on the conditions and the shot that needs to be made and the skill of the shooter.

The procedure is to focus on the target and then simply index the weapon on the target, essentially placing the sights on top of your focus and then executing a good trigger pull. Done properly it is every bit as accurate and effective as sighted fire at short ranges, but is typically faster than sighted fire.

I practice it in my house against the painting of my great Grandpa and could see how you could be pretty accurate (at close range) without even focusing on the front sight.  But I've yet to really try it at the range even.

The "threat focused" style of sighting is actually what you are most likely to do in a real life engagement, as people tend to focus on the threat and then index their weapon on the threat. You can see this demonstrated by putting people through shoothouses with threat targets and non-threat targets. You'll see people actually shooting the weapons in the hands of the bad guy targets because that's where their focus was when doing target discrimination.

Either way, I don't think the big dots are a solution to all problems.

In that you would be correct. Sight preferences are intensely personal things, and the same setup doesn't work for everybody equally well. Something like a big dot sight (at least up front) may be the best solution for someone who has problems seeing the front sight at all because of defects in their vision, or someone who has minimal training time or minimal commitment to training.
For most people trigger control is a FAR more important issue than sight alignment.

I think it's got more to do with practice and putting into practice what works.  I far prefer a traditional set of sights.  I've shot at quite a distance and can not see how I could do that with those on it.  I have witnesses of hitting a man sized torso with my M9 at 200 yards.  I know it sounds crazy, but oh well.

I regularly shoot my handguns at 100 yards offhand and hit what I am aiming at. It's likely that I won't ever need to shoot that far to defend my life, but there are no guarantees in life so I do it.

It's also superb at teaching proper trigger control.

Bingo!!  I would never even think about a large sight if I had 20-20 vision and was going for accuracy shooting. I like the big dot because I can see it with or without my glasses.  I find it even better in low light situations. ymmv
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 3:43:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Any recommedations on where to buy, that discount the sights?
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:56:39 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Any recommedations on where to buy, that discount the sights?

Brownells
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 6:49:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 10:31:36 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I loved them on my G26.

Well, I've tried the G26/Big Dot sights combo again on Friday.  I'm still not getting the hang of them at 15 yards.  I'm still bascially all over the place.  At 7 yards, I'm a bit more comfortable and and can keep 10 rounds (my magazine capacity) consistantly within a two inch circle.  This is all off hand shooting.  I guess with practice, I'll get more proficient at the longer distance.
Link Posted: 6/8/2008 6:24:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Or maybe not.  DOH!  Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

I'm sure with practice you'll get better.  I'm just teasing about the sights.
Link Posted: 6/8/2008 7:26:17 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

This is a tech forum, not a playground for lame comments.
Link Posted: 6/8/2008 11:33:56 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is a tech forum, not a playground for lame comments.

I don't believe I was talking to you.  

I was just injecting some humor.  Yes a little tongue and cheek but nevertheless.  Not sure what you're getting upset about.  As I've stated before, training is probably more of a factor than which exact sight you have.  It seems that some people that take the time to train with these seem to like them.  Not all though.

What does your post have to do with this subject technically????
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 1:49:20 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm sorry that I'm just dragging this thread out but I just want to get proficient with these sights.  I got out on Saturday and put about 300 rounds through my G26/XS Big Dot combo.  At 7 yards, I'm doing fine.  At 15 yards, I'd say my groups are about within a 5" circle.  I guess that would be fine to hit COM on a BG at that distance.  I guess I'm spoiled as I am able to shoot much tighter groups at +15 yards with my Glock 19/Meprolight adjustable night sight combo.  BTW, I also have  a Crimson Trace laser grip on the G26 to fall back on but I want to be accurate also with the Big Sights just in case the laser goes down.  Practice, practice, practice.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top