Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2017 11:49:01 AM EDT
After rounds sit in my M&P 40c magazine for an extended period of time (months) they come out dented.

Has anyone else seen this? These were brand new 180 grain HST rounds, but this has happend in the past with other loads. Must have something to do with mag spring tension? I don't feel like the spring tension is excessive.

Thoughts? All of the rounds I pull out of the magazine have dents to some degree....these two were the worst.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 12:31:26 PM EDT
[#1]
That has never happened in my M&P 40C.

How were the magazines loaded, by hand or with a loader (Uplula, etc) ?
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 1:11:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That has never happened in my M&P 40C.

How were the magazines loaded, by hand or with a loader (Uplula, etc) ?
View Quote
The magazines were loaded by hand (me).

If I load a magazine by hand, then immediately unload it, there will not be any marks on the rounds. This only happens after the magazines sit for an extended period of time. There has to be some force acting on the rounds while they sit in the magazine....
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 1:13:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Happens in every magazine?
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 1:38:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Happens in every magazine?
View Quote
Good question....I only notice it in the 10 round magazine with the pinky extension. I don't notice it in the other magazine (I only have the two mags that came with the gun).
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 2:42:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Spring getting weak allowing the rounds to bounce around?
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 3:12:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Those two rounds that you showed.  Where are they in the stack?  Stock springs?  Do you slam the mags in hard?  I'm not limited to 10 rounds, so I don't know what the internals look like in your mag.  Is there a spacer block?
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 3:15:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Those two rounds that you showed.  Where are they in the stack?  Standard mag?  Stock springs?  Do you slam the mags in hard?
View Quote
Middle of the mag. Standard mag, stock springs. I don't slam the mag at all. This happens over the course of time where the rounds just sit in a loaded mag that sits in the pistol.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 3:17:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Spring getting weak allowing the rounds to bounce around?
View Quote
No, this pistol isn't a heavily shot pistol. The mag springs are still stiff.

I just bought a couple more mags online.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 3:20:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Just with HST or other manufacturers?  I've seen this also in one of my guns, but in .45.   Damn, which one is it.  Can you chamber drop the round?  Is the bullet resting on the edge of the barrel  ramp when the slide is closed?
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 3:24:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just with HST or other manufacturers?  I've seen this also in one of my guns, but in .45.   Damn, which one is it.  Can you chamber drop the round?  Is the bullet resting on the edge of the barrel  ramp when the slide is closed?
View Quote
Happens with other manufacturers. This happens to the rounds that just sit in a loaded magazine- not to rounds that have been chambered.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 3:25:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Hard to tell from the pictures, but the dent is above the base of the bullet. Strange....
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 3:36:44 PM EDT
[#12]
IIRC the dent is at the base of the bullet.  Bullets will rotate as they are inserted into the mag and travel down.  Double stack mags taper to one feed row.  Three to four rounds down is where the bullets are crossed over each other and point not up, but down in the double stack.  I wonder if spring tension and the mag body are contributing to this.  I just checked my 9mm guns and saw the similar bullet swag from the casing.  This is from Speer GD in 115 gr +P+ in several different G19 mags.   Also with HST in 9mm 124 gr +P.  I'll look later for the .45.  Also nickel cases.  

Is there indentations in the sides of the 10 rounders?  What keeps you from loading a 11th round in the mag?

You can see this from a ETS brand clear mag to see what I'm talking about.

Can you chamber those two rounds without issue?
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 6:14:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
IIRC the dent is at the base of the bullet.  Bullets will rotate as they are inserted into the mag and travel down.  Double stack mags taper to one feed row.  Three to four rounds down is where the bullets are crossed over each other and point not up, but down in the double stack.  I wonder if spring tension and the mag body are contributing to this.  I just checked my 9mm guns and saw the similar bullet swag from the casing.  This is from Speer GD in 115 gr +P+ in several different G19 mags.   Also with HST in 9mm 124 gr +P.  I'll look later for the .45.  Also nickel cases.  

Is there indentations in the sides of the 10 rounders?  What keeps you from loading a 11th round in the mag?

You can see this from a ETS brand clear mag to see what I'm talking about.

Can you chamber those two rounds without issue?
View Quote
I'm having trouble picturing what you're saying, but I'll look at pictures of some clear mags.

These rounds WILL load and fire without issue. I really like the M&P 40C and my version has been 100% reliable. This is just a quirk I found with my sample.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top