Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2017 9:31:22 AM EDT
So I am tired of trying to stuff a bunch of crap in my right hand front pocket including wallet, billfold, keys, etc all because my pocket pistol occupies my left hand front pocket. Its time to buy a reasonable all season concealed carry pistol I can carry IWB on my stong side (left) and free up the pocket for stuff that is actually supposed to be carried there. 

I dont have any mid or small sized auto that fit my criteria currently and so I am hoping ARF can point me in the right direction. I have a few requirements however:

1. I prefer it to be DA/SA with a decocker. I love my wifes CZ-P01 but I think it may be a bit too heavy for summer CCW and I dont "need" 14+1 capacity.
2. It must be concealable year round and summer in NC is HOT, shorts and t-shirt weather.
3. I have several full size (USP, M&P) and they are a definite no go. I want something small (not Keltec small but reasonable), something that works in a IWB holster and is confortable sitting, standing, driving, etc. 
4. I am undecided on caliber and loyal to none. Since its a CCW, i will practice with it but ammo cost is not a factor. If .357 sig or 10mm is the best choice, I am fine with it.
5. Huge capacity is not important. If a single stack is the best choice I am OK with that. 
6. As I stated I am south paw, so I prefer ambi controls. Its not imperative but it sure would be nice. 
7. Polymer or alloy guns are fine, as I said, it needs to be reasonably light where a modest belt will support it.

So, there you go. Where should I be looking? I realize this will be a compromise but I appreciate any advice in what direction to head. 
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 10:04:42 AM EDT
[#1]
For what it's worth, I carry a P01 all the time. IWB strong side , and it carries just as easily as my other carry, a 4" 1911 alloy frame.  The single stack is only a bit narrower, but I really feel no difference.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 10:59:07 AM EDT
[#2]
P-07, P-01(75D) P229, P30SK, P2000, or UPSc all come to mind as good options.

A good belt will make a heavy gun disappear.  A shitty belt will make a heavy gun heavier.  I have an Ares Gear Aegis and Aegis Enhanced and carrying a full size 1911 is not big deal.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 10:59:23 AM EDT
[#3]
In da/SA I would think a sig single stack would do the trick ( can't recall the exact model number 239 maybe?) decocker may be a. It of a reach for a lefty? Or the compact hk p2000 with the small decocker button on the back of the frame. Probably the best in my opinion would be a S&W 3913 series gun thin small ambidextrous decocker and not pricey when you can find them.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 12:15:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 12:31:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Smith 3913.  It is about the best and most perfect pistol for your stated needs.  A shield would be good too with the right holster.  The shield of course is striker fired so it loses a few of your points, but certainly a viable option in 9, 40 or .45.
View Quote
Doesnt look like the 3913 is produced any longer. GB has only 1 listed.    Generally I buy my stuff new. 
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 1:02:32 PM EDT
[#6]
P30SK
P224
P239
P225a1
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 1:13:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Maybe a AL frame 1911

Beretta PX4 subcompact or compact?

The new p225 is really nice. I'd carry that
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 7:22:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Doesnt look like the 3913 is produced any longer. GB has only 1 listed.    Generally I buy my stuff new. 
View Quote
You are correct.  Plus Smith isn't supporting them anymore.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 7:22:34 PM EDT
[#9]
SA haterade, they have a new hammer fired XD.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 7:34:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Since I have a full size HK USP 45, would a USP 45 Compact be a poor choice? The controls can be moved to the right side of the gun and the mag release is already ambi. 8=1 of .45 ACP isnt  out gunned. Too large to comfortably and practically carry  concealed? Thoughts?
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 7:51:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Hk Uspc45 Is still a chunky gun, but smaller than the fullsize.  Same manual of arms.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 8:12:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Buying new is highly overrated I haven't bought new in years and have never had an issue with used stuff I buy. 3913 is a great platform. Bear in mind many people ( yours truly) are using guns routinely that are 60-70 years old and they work fine and people that fret over "spare parts" are being silly. Most any gun will last decades in routine use without problems or parts replacement.
Honestly unless you just have to have a certain something immediately on release, I will always wait and buy used later on.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 9:14:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 1:34:04 AM EDT
[#14]
P239 would be a good step up, but if you really look at it, you can add roughly 1/3" in each direction and end up with a double stack P229.

IMO, stay away from the P224. It was discontinued anyway.

As a lefty, maybe look at the P30SK, as the HK will be more ambi than the SIG. But then you give up the grip and trigger options SIGs allow.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 1:50:14 AM EDT
[#15]
If your fine with .380 a beretta 85f is single stack 8rd capacity, or the 84 series is a double stack .380 that holds 13rds.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 1:50:50 AM EDT
[#16]
I feel like you're doing pocket carry wrong. I use all my pockets, one for gun, one for wallet, one for knife, and one for keys and phone. Use those back pockets!! Get cargo pants and you have even more pockets!!

But for a DA/SA I'd probably go with a HK P2000 9mm.

Really I'd suggest going to striker fired guns. Love the Shield 45 or M&P9C 9mm. Extra power grab a Glock 29 10mm. 
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 9:52:28 AM EDT
[#17]
If you like the P01, try a P07... Polymer version that is very close overall in size. Don't write off the P01 so fast though, it is one of the best of it's size class.
The P01 is a great gun, easy to carry with the alloy frame. (I carry a P02 the safety bearing version vs decocker).

IWB with a good belt and holster and my P02 disappears.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:59:18 AM EDT
[#18]
You might want to take a look at that new XDe from Springfield.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 11:42:33 AM EDT
[#19]
My LGS has a new Sig 229, not the M11-A1, just a 229 no rail for $635. It feels good in the hand. How does it stack up against the CZ P01 ?. CZ can be had for $500 so its a delta of $135. 
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 8:49:41 PM EDT
[#20]
They're good. If you're thinking about going up to that size than also look at the beretta m9a1 compact. Little less money and I'd prefer them even if they cost more. Purely subjective preference.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 1:08:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Love my CZ RAMI.....
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 6:14:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Sig P239 and never look back.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 6:28:37 PM EDT
[#23]
P2000sk if you have to have a light, da/sa.

P30sk is good to, the same gun really, but the p2000s side panels aren't as abrasive, and would be more comfortable for iwb.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 9:16:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Moving from a poly pocket gun to an all metal duty grade DA/SA carried IWB.

Big jump.

I see less need in the "tactical" requirements as I do social. All the gun does is launch a bullet, a pocket pistol does that, carry it IWB. Another $650 pistol won't really do that better weighing twice as much and being at least 1.5" bigger in length and grip. It might carry a few more foot pounds of force at a slightly higher velocity, shot placement is more important.

I don't see what is carried in a pocket as a major deal killer. We all carry stuff in our pockets, if the gun goes there then we take it ALL out and put it in another. Considering it should be minimal - knife, light, etc. that isnt hard. I don't let my chapstick or Nightcore Tube have precedence over the Kahr CW380. They are important but "what good if you're dead" makes them take second place.

If you're needing an excuse to buy a gun fine. What goes into a pocket doesn't wash for me, I'm not your supervisor, do what you like. Just saying - the reasons in the opening post are what are the problem. Not the gun as I see it.

What DA/SA won't be as important as trying to stuff that holster inside the waistband and realizing you just forced yourself to toss most of your pants and buy new. IWB = 2" larger.

BTW that pocket carry thing caused me to rethink stuff, I went from RR wallet carry to FL. I changed. I got used to it. It's working and it wasn't that hard.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 9:06:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Glock G19, 'nuff said!
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 3:44:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Beretta PX4 compact or CZ P 07.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 6:35:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Moving from a poly pocket gun to an all metal duty grade DA/SA carried IWB.

Big jump.

I see less need in the "tactical" requirements as I do social. All the gun does is launch a bullet, a pocket pistol does that, carry it IWB. Another $650 pistol won't really do that better weighing twice as much and being at least 1.5" bigger in length and grip. It might carry a few more foot pounds of force at a slightly higher velocity, shot placement is more important.
View Quote
A bigger handgun does do it better

It is easier to draw, aim, shoot accuratly, and recover between shots allowing for much more accurate fire while shooting at speed.

Shot placement is more important.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 3:55:08 PM EDT
[#28]
How about a CZ 2075 RAMI BD

CZ 2075 RAMI BD Sub-Compact Pistol
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 5:19:53 PM EDT
[#29]
For hammer fired DA/SA with a decocker i'll second what others have said: The CZ P-07 is an excellent choice. Basically a Glock 19 sized gun with the controls you prefer.
Polymer framed, or single stack is going to help keep the gun thin.
It's summer now and I mostly carry a Glock 19, or sometimes on days like today, a 5" 1911 steel frame.
I don't dress for comfort, I dress to conceal.  Button up shirt all day every day.  If you shop around you can find some button up over shirts that really don't make it that much hotter, and you'll be able to comfortably conceal whatever you want.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 1:43:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Just want to reiterate the point that has already been made, you can conceal a g19 sized gun with a shirt in the summer if you want. Good luck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top