Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2017 1:41:23 PM EDT
Currently deployed to Afghanistan and getting ready to head home. My battalion has decided to offer commemorative engraved Colt 1911s.

It is the Colt o1991 Custom Government Model with 5" barrel and blued finish. The weapon will be engraved with "Operation Freedom's Sentinal" and our unit motto along with our unit crest. The cost is $738.00.

My question is this a decent price and does anyone have any opinions one way or another on this specific weapon? I know next to nothing about 1911s (Im a big Glock fanboy). I did some basic googling and got some conflicting info so what better place to check than ARFCOM.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 1:59:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 2:22:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I would jump
On it if it were me. Sadly my units on deployment never did this sort of thing. Would have liked a commemorative pistol
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 2:30:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn, good deal.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 3:11:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Good price. I strongly recommend that you do it.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 3:47:13 PM EDT
[#5]
That isn't the 1911 i would personally pick.....

That said I would have bought it in a heartbeat if my unit had done that back in the day.

You can always send it to a good smith and have a trigger job, sights etc done if you decide you want to and it would be a fine base pistol / awesome when done.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 4:37:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 8:50:44 PM EDT
[#7]
That is a shame they are using the 1991 as the base but I would probably do it myself.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 9:37:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good price. I strongly recommend that you do it.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 9:40:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I would take that deal
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 11:17:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
...... The weapon will be engraved with "Operation Freedom's Sentinal" and our unit motto along with our unit crest. The cost is $738.00.

View Quote

Al bee ta spellin Notsy.......et's "Sentinel", no "a".
Would be a shame to engrave a misspelled word.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 7:22:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...... The weapon will be engraved with "Operation Freedom's Sentinal" and our unit motto along with our unit crest. The cost is $738.00.

Assuming all the Colts in his unit were engraved with that misspelling, it would be a unit wide "custom error" which would likely only increase the value of each gun. It would, however, still look stoopid.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 9:31:19 AM EDT
[#12]
It's a very good deal; jump on it.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 9:41:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Assuming all the Colts in his unit were engraved with that misspelling, it would be a unit wide "custom error" which would likely only increase the value of each gun. It would, however, still look stoopid.
View Quote
Haha no, I accidentally misspelled it; don't blame me, I am 11B. The engraving on the handgun will be correct. Sounds like the general consensus is that it is a good deal.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 1:09:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Good gun plus a memento of the deployment.

Go for it.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 1:09:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Well I bought it, I will post pictures of it when I get home
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 5:17:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm betting you will like it.  I think it was a good move.  I would put up that meme of Indiana Jones with the old knight saying you have chosen wisely.  But I guess you can get a smack from the mods for that now.  

And yeah, we'll need pics.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 9:55:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Well I bought it, I will post pictures of it when I get home
View Quote
Good call. I hope you and your Brothers and Sisters get home safely.

Enjoy your new Colt... Or set it aside and get a series 70 to shoot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top