Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2017 11:00:06 AM EDT
Folks Ive done hit the 40's age and now required to use reading glasses. With that my front sight post on pistols is a tab blurry and obviously this isnt going to get better with time. Ive talked to folks and done some internet surfing for options and ideas. A number of folks have recommended fiber optics but if I cant see front sight clear I assume the color of the front sight post would not change much? Other options Ive seen were a "Big Dot" sight system, red dot or laser. However a number of the web info was dated. Any advise/ideas for sights for conceal carry/personal defense pistol. Pistol I carry is M&P shield 9mm at this time. However I also routinely carry Glock 17 and looking at full size M&P in the future. My vision isn't horrible (1.75+) and see fine at distance>
thanks
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 12:54:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you considered getting Lasik? That'll be an easy decision for me when my vision starts to go, it's relatively cheap these days.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 3:40:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I never liked fiber optic sights.  A blurry front sight is a blurry front fiber optic sight.

I've gone the route of RMR's on my carry guns (well, I do sometimes carry one without an RMR, but RMRs on a CZ 75 are just butt ugly wrong looking due to the width of the RMR on the skinny CZ 75 slide).

If I have my glasses on I have a nice sharp dot to put on the target.

If I've lost my glasses then I have a fuzzy dot to put on the target - but I can still see that fuzzy dot whereas a fuzzy front sight along with a fuzzy back sight just won't line up for me at all.

Oh the RMR'd guns are a P07 and a P09 (nice big wide slides).
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 4:24:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I have gone a bit beyond 40 and am now much closer to 50 than 40.  I have noticed that front sites are getting harder to read as time goes on.   When I have my glasses on then it isn't a big deal.   I have concerns about how well I can use a handgun without my glasses.   The solution that I went with is a Streamlight TLR4 with the green laser.   Green laser is visible to 50 yards in daylight and a 100 lumen night for low light applications.   It is working well for me.  

2Hut8
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 4:54:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Ameriglo Hackahorns

A Trigicon RMR if you have the coin.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 5:00:31 PM EDT
[#5]
In the same boat as you.  You can go with a RDS on your gun.  Various makes and models to compare.    Durabilty, cost, ease of battery replacement, and weapon platform hosts standout.
Also Big dots.  

I'm 20/15 and now require 1.25 for readers.  Sucks balls.  
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 5:03:46 PM EDT
[#6]
What ever sights you put on the gun is pretty much immaterial. You must wear a set of glasses that make the front sight sharp and clear end of story. The best option I have seen ( pun intended) is to have a plain lens in your non aiming lens side ( using a both eyes open aiming technique tricks your brain into keeping the target relatively in focus) and your reading RX on the aiming eye side to sharpen the sights. A blurry front sight is blurry without correction no matter what color or size it is as you stated. I am now on the north end of 50 and it does get tougher with age for sure. I still use plain black sights on all my guns and a good quality and size plain black sight is as effective as anything else. A couple nights ago did night shooting at gunsite and with plain black sights and good flashlight technique my groups were still about playing card size even in the dark.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 5:32:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been dealing with this for a few years. I have to wear reading glasses for up close too. I have glasses pre positioned everywhere but don't shoot with them.  I have to ID the threat at work and a clear front sight and blurry everything else just doesn't work. I have totally switched to staring at the clearly focused target with both eyes open and the sights are blurry.  I can see the shape of the sights enough to get good sight alignment.  It has been working so far as I can still clear 6 inch plates at 25 yards as fast as I ever have. I've been toying with the idea of a red dot but my duty gun doesn't have one so I'm still practicing both eyes open looking at the target for now.  David
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 6:05:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Surgery not an option as lasik does not fix what I got (aka older eyes with near vision/reading issues). Vision is good just need readers for close up/reading. Ive looked at a number of the red dots but between A) me being a cheap ass and B) concerns with the on/off and durability not in a big hurry to sell a organ/ body part. Have always like the Crimson Trace products but have never actually used one only seen them at gun shows and such. I am still able to see the front sight post between rear sight just slightly blurry. I do have a pair of the SSP with top focal which does work. However my current pair have top focal on both lens and want to try pair with just medicine in the dominant eye lens. Only concern is get use to shooting with "special shooting glasses" what happens when not wearing glasses.  Ive looked at the XS Big Dot sight system, Advantage Tactical pyramid sight & dark diamond sight, and a few others that seemed to based on same principles but no experience with none of them>
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 8:56:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm in the exact same boat.  I just ordered some 1.25 safety glasses to experiment with and see if they help.  I'm afraid I won't be able to see the target worth shit though.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 2:29:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm in the exact same boat.  I just ordered some 1.25 safety glasses to experiment with and see if they help.  I'm afraid I won't be able to see the target worth shit though.
View Quote
Can not be stressed enough you do not need or even want to see the target well to be accurate!
I understand the poster who talked about id of a threat at home and accepting fuzzy sights as they are in a close range encounter and even people with "regular" vision problems should shoot some without rx lenses to get an idea of what it might be likely to "fight blind" and what adjustments to make. But for anything except close range ( under 7 yards) a razor sharp front sight is essential to precision and there is no substitute or way around this.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 3:08:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I put FO front sights on all my guns.  

I also wear a lower powered contact in my right eye.

At the speeds and distances I normally shoot (USPSA) a slightly blurry front sight is not a problem.  

If the blurry dot is in the A zone it's normally good.  It really comes down to trigger manipulation anyway.

At 25 yards and beyond it would be nice to have a totally focused front sight.  

Such is life.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 9:47:53 PM EDT
[#12]
TFO
A combination of fiber optics and night sights.
Best of both worlds.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 7:00:41 PM EDT
[#13]
My latest glasses are called occupational trifocals.  Regular bifocals on bottom with distance vision above them and then trifocals up at the top of the lenses.  Works good for me.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 10:58:29 AM EDT
[#14]
If you are looking to improve some shooting glasses you can use a stickon reader in the top corner of the lens.  When you get in position it will line up.  I recently switched from r eye correction (full lens dominant) to L eye (full lens non dominant) and I have been shooting much better in competitions.  That is with FO front sight.  Hard to fix this problem if its concealed carry but the FO does add some visibility.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top