Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2017 1:40:09 PM EDT
Had a customer come into the shop to have a pistol sent in for repair.
Glock 27 kaboom.
Case ruptured with spectacular results.
Gun appears to be mostly undamaged. Frame, magazine, slide barrel etc, all appear fine.
The extractor and EDP assembly was blown out of the gun and lost.

Not sure what the ammo was, would have to ask the employee that spoke with the customer (getting the story secondhand).

Just thought it was interesting that the gun seems to have survived very well for such a nasty looking rupture.

Link Posted: 7/6/2017 2:42:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks more like an out of battery discharge not a KB.  Reloads or factory ammo?  Could have been the primer not seated properly if I were to guess.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 4:01:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks more like an out of battery discharge not a KB.  Reloads or factory ammo?  Could have been the primer not seated properly if I were to guess.
View Quote
I'm thinking reloads. I have more than 50,000 rounds through my G27. Nothing even close to that. Doesn't pay to buy cheap ammo.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 5:46:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like a classic .40 partially-unsupported case blowout. Bad brass or brass weakened from too many reload cycles.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 1:35:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Looks like a classic .40 partially-unsupported case blowout. Bad brass or brass weakened from too many reload cycles.
View Quote
I have read about Glock .40 unsupported case kabooms for years on the interwebs, never fully believing it was as bad as people seemed to make it sound.

Then it happened to me -- ONCE.  I no longer own a .40S&W chambered Glock.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 2:16:04 AM EDT
[#5]
It happened to me twice.  Once with an issued G23 and once with a personally owned G23.  Three different serial numbers for each gun.  Factory ammo.  So happy when we finally dumped them.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 7:49:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah, no. That's out-of-battery. Look at how far out of the barrel the extractor groove is.

OP, squib in front of it?
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 8:28:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yeah, no. That's out-of-battery. Look at how far out of the barrel the extractor groove is.

View Quote
Exactly my thoughts normally if it is due to unsupported chamber it is a small area that blows out.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 3:53:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Barrel showed no signs of having a squib (no bulging etc)
Internals all appeared fine and functional.
Ammo was Factory Magtech First Defense.
Customer stated the round previous to the KB fired without issue.
The gun was clean and well lubricated (aside from the extra powder from the KB), no signs of neglect or excessive wear.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 4:03:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Also, it's important to note that the photo's were taken AFTER I had already removed the case from the chamber.
The case was pressed lightly back into the chamber for the photo's.
When the gun arrives, the case appeared to be flush with the barrel and in the normal "in battery" position, with the sheered part of the brass lining up with the unsupported section of the chamber exactly.
If you drop a round into your Glock barrel and then look at it from the feedramp and peel back only the brass that is visible. That's what it looked like initially.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 4:21:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I read the thread title and said, "a thousand dollars says it's a .40"

Too bad no one was around to bet against me.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 7:50:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Haters gonna hate, I love my G27 & my G22 & have many rounds of happy bliss with factory ammo.

Reloads I'd never put in any Glock...
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 8:46:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, I'll keep rolling the dice with my G27.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 9:22:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Haters gonna hate, I love my G27 & my G22 & have many rounds of happy bliss with factory ammo.

Reloads I'd never put in any Glock...
View Quote
To be clear, this is not meant as a Glock hate thread.
I carry a Glock, I'm a Glock armorer, I have shot glocks for years, in all calibers.
If anything I am surprised at how well the gun handled the KB.
I will say however that this is not anywhere near the first Glock KB I have personally seen.
I think this is number five that has come into our shop while I have been there. All have been 40 cal Glocks.
I have not personally seen a KB on any other platform, although I know they happen.
Only one of the five I have seen actually destroyed the gun beyond repair. The others have been similar to this but normally blow out the magazine, which this one did not.
Also, The ammo was factory Magtech, not reloads.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 10:13:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 10:16:13 PM EDT
[#15]
My Gen 2 G22 KB was way worse than that. Glad he wasn't hurt.

Everyone thinks it's a myth until it happens to them.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 11:03:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Regardless of the facts, glock will blame the owner for breaking their perfection.
View Quote
I thought only Glock fans posted things such as this what with them being fanatics and all.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 1:13:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I thought only Glock fans posted things such as this what with them being fanatics and all.
View Quote
Fanatics don't have time to post.  They are still in shock the Sig won.

As for the thread discussion,  I have shot a lot of rounds through Glock 40's with no issue.  I did have a 19 that would bulge cases with NATO rounds.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 6:33:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Is there an aftermarket bbl for G 23 that fully supports the case?
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 9:01:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Exactly what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 11:46:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lone Wolf does I believe.  Maybe KKM.

Can this happen with an M&P40 or is the case fully supported?
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 4:11:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Fanatics don't have time to post. They are still in shock the Sig won.
View Quote

They can keep their Sig & their Beretta....

I had a KB in a G17...blew the mag out, case was stuck in barrel. Last time I used a "factory" reload.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 9:38:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
If that was factory ammo, I don't think 'better' chamber support would have really mattered.
With the base being blown so far out, I'd guess either bullet setback caused massive over pressure or the load was doubled from the factory.

Set back would be my first guess.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 11:10:52 PM EDT
[#23]
If it was my gun I'd just put it back together. Throw it in a ransom rest and fire a mag through it and see if it kept working. If all the parts look fine. You lucked out and not much else to do.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:31:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Regardless of the facts, glock will blame the owner for breaking their perfection.
View Quote
The gun is already back from Glock (came back a few days ago), Took them about a week and a half in turn around time.
They just replaced the parts and the gun is G2G, as we knew it would be.
We offered to replace the parts at our shop (we have several Glock armorers) but the customer wanted it sent to glock to make sure there wasn't any hidden damage.

Can't beat that turn around time through.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 11:06:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:36:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Funny I have a 25 yr old Gen 2 G17 that runs great and its all original parts.

I quit counting rounds through it years ago after it hit 5k, Glock makes great guns, but any mechanical
device can fail.

Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:11:27 PM EDT
[#27]
And this is why I will never own an older .40 Glock. Back in the day, I had a 2nd Gen G23. The first time I qualified with it for my PD job, we were shooting up some old Federal 180gr Hydra Shok ammo after qualifications because we had changed duty ammo. My G23 blew out a case at the feed ramp because of the extremely poor case head support. Same deal as this one, extractor and magazine blew out and left the case in the chamber with the brass blown out at the feed ramp. Sent it back to Glock for repair, then went back to carrying my G21 and sold the G23 ASAP.

Although I wasn't there for the qualification day this time, another guy at my PD had the exact same thing happen to a different 2nd Gen G23. Round of factory ammo (Winchester Ranger 180gr JHP this time) blew out at the feed ramp, blew out the extractor and magazine. Gun went back to Glock for repair, came back and the Officer still carries it to this day.

A couple years ago, we had the same thing happen to yet another Officer, this time with one of the brand new Gen4 G22s issued by the PD. I was there but don't know what ammo was involved. We typically shoot off our carry ammo, in this case Speer 180gr Gold Dot, them move on to practice ammo for the rest of the course, Fed American Eagle 180gr FMJ. It was about half way though the course, so it could have been either. Same exact thing, case head blew out at the feed ramp and blew out the extractor and magazine. This time, it also blew out the extractor depressor plunger, EDP spring and spring loaded bearing, but we were able to find the EDP and bearing, spring was nowhere to be found. We had a spare G22, so I robbed parts to get the Officer's G22 back up and running till I could get them from Glock. Gun still runs great to this day.

Because of the extremely poor case head support on older .40 Glocks, I won't ever own one again. All of the Gen4 .40 guns I have checked out have MUCH better case head support and I wouldn't have any problem with them. It puzzled me when the Officer's G22 blew up because the case head support is so much better. Shit happens with ammo sometimes, is all I could think to attribute it to.

Bub75
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:20:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have read about Glock .40 unsupported case kabooms for years on the interwebs, never fully believing it was as bad as people seemed to make it sound.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Back when I was still shooting IPSC, I was ROing a stage and a G22 blew up, way up.
The top of the barrel hood was MIA, g-o-n-e.

It was a reload. I know the guy and literally, he is a rocket scientist. A meticulous guy. Frankly I don't believe you can fit a "double" charge in a 40 S&W case, the powder would be all over the press. It could be hotter but not "double."
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:22:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Back when I was still competing I shot a G24 with a KKM barrel and I shot Winchester white box exclusively.

The KKM offers very good support. As a matter of fact I've been toying around with getting back into USPSA and I'll probably shoot a G35...   ...with a KKM.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 1:04:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Back when I was still shooting IPSC, I was ROing a stage and a G22 blew up, way up.

It was a reload. I know the guy and literally, he is a rocket scientist. A meticulous guy. Frankly I don't believe you can fit a "double" charge in a 40 S&W case, the powder would be all over the press. It could be hotter but not "double."
View Quote
Im pretty sure you could fit 8gr of Titegroup in there.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 1:57:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Ive shot the piss out of some 9mm Glocks. All types of ammo. +P and +P+ never had a case rupture or a bulge or anything. Friend had Fiochi ammo blow his pistol up. Glock replaced it even though it was Fiochis fault. Fiochi did give him 500 rounds free lol.

I have seen plenty of 40 cal kabooms online.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 10:35:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

These barrels have fully supported barrels I believe. Back when I carried Glock .40's... Storm Lake barrels were some of the best. Their chambers were fully supported and you could shoot any full power in-spec .40 without issue if you went with a Storm Lake barrel.

M&P's chambers are fully supported. I've sold off all my polymers except a beloved M&P40c. It's the softest shooting, most reliable 40 I've ever owned. I cannot bear to part with it because of the ergonomics and it is so reliable.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:33:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, so 4 grains is a standard load?
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 6:52:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Sometimes you just get a bad piece of brass.

As bad as some Glocks self destruct when something like this happens, this one looked pretty good.  Maybe that means the brass is the problem, the pressures were "normal" for the .40 vs. an overcharge of powder (that would have created much more pressure).

Always a lot of speculation and repeating of internet wisdom when something like this happens.

Man, I used to hate incident investigations at work.  Always "so much heat and so little light" as that old saying used to be.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top