Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/3/2017 8:16:38 AM EDT
EDIT: poll added.
EDIT: pics added lower on page.

Can get into either right now for under 4 bills.

however, the ONLY 40 I have fired that doesn't hurt my wrists is my HK P30 LEM LS.  And I've fired a lot of 40's--just not these two particular guns.

So, between these two, what one was the smoothest and less snappy?

Please, no comments on how I'm a wimp --this is not GD.

This is not a necessity, just a fun gun.  MIGHT be suppressed if I like it enough.

Why 40?  I work at federal ammunition and get seconds for a steal.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 8:28:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Sig will soak up recoil more based on weight alone.  The lower bore axis of the M&P could be better though.  I think the P229 was built for .40 whereas the P226 was adapted for it.  Might be better with a trade-in 229 over a 226 IMHO
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 9:04:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Sig, and you will never look back. Buy once and buy right.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 9:38:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Sig makes a softer shooter with their metal framed guns. You won't regret it. Most leo trade in pistols are usually worn on the outside and newish with the internals. Are you able to check it out first or is an online deal? If it is an Israeli leo trade in,stay away. Those things are beat up pretty bad.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 9:41:51 AM EDT
[#4]
The M&p is a pretty new design and thost that have already been traded in makes one wonder if all the early on accuracy reports and other growing pains of a new platform got them traded in quickly?
I think it is a  toss up honestly lower bore axis with M&p and heavier weight with sig.
for myself personally I would lean toward sig.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 10:13:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sig will soak up recoil more based on weight alone.  The lower bore axis of the M&P could be better though.  I think the P229 was built for .40 whereas the P226 was adapted for it.  Might be better with a trade-in 229 over a 226 IMHO
View Quote
Well, sort of. The P229 was designed for .40/.357 whereas the P226 and P228 were 9mm. The difference is the slide of the P229 is made from milled stainless steel, the other two were made from folded carbon steel with breech blocks pinned in. However, P226s were switched over to milled stainless slides as well. So the only difference between a P226 and P229 now is size.

So for the OP, the P226 will be heavier than the M&P but it will help absorb the .40 much better. You won't even know you're shooting .40. Plus the P226 has a lot more options for it, like grips and the SRT (which I consider a must for any classic SIG).
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 11:36:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Shot both the Sig will shoot softer.  Weight is what makes it shoot softer.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 2:03:06 AM EDT
[#7]
SIG over M&P any day!
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 9:16:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Now I see HK USP's for $385 with $12 mags...by the time I decide they'll be sold out.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 9:16:38 AM EDT
[#9]
All the 229's I find command a premium over the 226.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 9:38:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Where are you finding USP(s) for $385.00? That is a better deal than the Sig.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 9:50:40 AM EDT
[#11]
summit gun broker.  Plus $20 shipping.  He's had those for months. V1. v2 for $415.

http://summitgunbroker.com/usp-v1-and-2.html

So, with two extra mags it would be like $426 shipped.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 9:51:34 AM EDT
[#12]
I've had both, and while I shot the M&P better.....to your point, the Sig had less felt recoil.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 9:52:06 AM EDT
[#13]
The sig with one mag is from AIM--it's only like $355 shipped.

With two extra mags shipping goes up to $30 so it'd be $399 shipped.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:15:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
summit gun broker.  Plus $20 shipping.  He's had those for months. V1. v2 for $415.

http://summitgunbroker.com/usp-v1-and-2.html

So, with two extra mags it would be like $426 shipped.
View Quote
I got one of those recently, with one extra mag it was $430 shipped with the credit card fee. It's in good shape too. I don't consider it a particularly soft shooter like everyone else does though, my recoil spring could be worn out though, it is 23 years old.

Link Posted: 7/4/2017 4:10:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I love HK's but I don't have a classic SIG, and it's too cheap to pass up.  I went with the SIG 226 from AIM.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 7:38:34 PM EDT
[#16]
I went searching after trying to find out where the HK usp pistol were and found them,thanks. That Sig is a great deal. Let us know how it looks when you get it,thanks.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:48:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Don't get the sig it's a dangerously expensive disease. In all honesty I have gotten a lot of pistols from mp, glock, HK, fn, beretta, etc.. and I always go back to my 226.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 10:44:44 AM EDT
[#18]
I bought the MP40 LE you're looking at.

Its a very soft shooter.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 11:53:29 AM EDT
[#19]
I may have to get...both if any other reviewers chime in with similar experience.

Or ALL 3!!!  
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 12:38:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I may have to get...both if any other reviewers chime in with similar experience.

Or ALL 3!!!  
View Quote
My 110lb gf has basically stolen it from me lol if that tells you anything. First ammo I've seen her go buy in awhile is .40
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 12:56:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Well I got it in, cleaned it and just shot it.

The DAK trigger is longer and mushier than I remembered from a decade or so ago.  It has a yellow recoil rod spring and a red mainspring.

Sights are good, must be tritium or some luminescent jobbers.

The action is not as smooth as expected, but overall for the amount of wear the gun is very stiff.

The gun was the most beat up LEO gun I have ever received.  Depressions worn in the bottom of the magwell from mag changes; stippling almost worn off the one side of the grips; rust on all grip screws and on the mag release, breech face locking shoulder, and take down half-moon pin (opposite the lever).  

All the mags were like new and stiff--it was hard to get ten of 12 rounds in.

How did it shoot?  
 1) It DID NOT in any way hurt my wrists.
 2)  The experience, overall was lackluster compared to my beloved HK.
 3)  it jumped more than expected.  I was using XM40HC (180 grain HST ICE overruns).  

I may keep this as a night stand gun.  I'll maybe re-stipple the grips and then alumahyde the lower receiver.  The slide was fine.

I, personally, would not recommend this gun to most people.

Thanks for the encouragement, new guns are always exciting!
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 2:24:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The gun was the most beat up LEO gun I have ever received.  
I, personally, would not recommend this gun to most people.
View Quote
That sucks
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 2:32:25 PM EDT
[#23]
A $60 used M&P9 barrel drops right in the M&P40 if you want cheap shooting.  Sig 40-to-9mm barrels are a lot harder to come across.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 9:49:08 PM EDT
[#24]
I picked up one of those DAK 226s from Aim as well... I sprung the extra 50$ for the select.

Mine was in case with 2 mags and a bottle of grease... And it was NIB. Not even the beginning of a smile on the barrel and no wear at all on the frame rails.  Mags still had shipping oil on em.
Might convert to Da\Sa, but the DAK isn't bad at all for a DA pull.

First 'classic' Sig in my safe and it likely will not be the last.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 1:46:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Sorry you didn't get a nice sample. The P226 I just got was pretty worn on the right side too. Rubbed against seat belt, bumped into everything I'm sure. New grips will freshen that up rather cheaply. Remember, these trade-ins often just sit in a holster, bumped into everything, rained and snowed on during traffic stops, just put through hell but typically not fired much.

The DAK...I never got it. I understand how it works, just not why anyone would want it. As bad as the condition is, maybe a detail strip, clean, fresh lube and re-spring will help.  There may be French fry salt in the action. I only sorta kid. I find it hard to believe any stock SIG trigger could be worse than a stock HK trigger.

If nothing else, sell/trade it for something you might enjoy more.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 9:47:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The DAK...I never got it. I understand how it works, just not why anyone would want it.
View Quote
THIS^  I don't get it either
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 11:04:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
EDIT: poll added.

Can get into either right now for under 4 bills.

however, the ONLY 40 I have fired that doesn't hurt my wrists is my HK P30 LEM LS.  And I've fired a lot of 40's--just not these two particular guns.

So, between these two, what one was the smoothest and less snappy?

Please, no comments on how I'm a wimp --this is not GD.

This is not a necessity, just a fun gun.  MIGHT be suppressed if I like it enough.

Why 40?  I work at federal ammunition and get seconds for a steal.
View Quote

The Sig has a higher MSRP so it's a "Better deal" if you think about.

Like you, the only .40 cal I actually enjoy shooting is my P30.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 8:53:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

THIS^  I don't get it either
View Quote
For department stuck with the dao mentality it checks those boxes but allows an officer to fire if he short strokes under stress.

I prefer da/sa but that's the why of it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 9:44:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I've standardized on .40 and 10mm for reloading purposes, I don't mind .40 at all, and I only have a box through my new P30, but it probably is one of the softest .40s, sweet shooter. I just bought a 14lb recoil spring for my USP, hopefully it lives up to it's soft shooting reputation on my next time out, pretty sure the original spring was flat worn out.

Quoted:

For department stuck with the dao mentality it checks those boxes but allows an officer to fire if he short strokes under stress.

I prefer da/sa but that's the why of it.
Yeah, seems to be an LE thing., like the 12lb NYPD Glock triggers.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 12:40:38 AM EDT
[#30]
I always thought an MP40 was designed by Schmeisser (actually Heinrich Vollmer), not S&W.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:42:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I always thought an MP40 was designed by Schmeisser (actually Heinrich Vollmer), not S&W.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/70/MP_40_AYF_3.JPG/1200px-MP_40_AYF_3.JPG
View Quote
Whatever, smartass--but I would buy that if it came in .40.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:44:20 AM EDT
[#32]
I had considered the select for more $ but every time I have chosen that in the past and compared against others who didn't, they were the same.  Wasn't dealing with AIM though.

I ordered new grips yesterday and am planning on alumahyde-ing the grip frame.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:43:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I picked up one of those DAK 226s from Aim as well... I sprung the extra 50$ for the select.

Mine was in case with 2 mags and a bottle of grease... And it was NIB. Not even the beginning of a smile on the barrel and no wear at all on the frame rails.  Mags still had shipping oil on em.
Might convert to Da\Sa, but the DAK isn't bad at all for a DA pull.

First 'classic' Sig in my safe and it likely will not be the last.
View Quote
I sprung for select grade as well, and am very happy with mine.

Very minor holster wear, but no frame rail wear at all.

I have a 357 sig bbl on the way.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 1:51:14 AM EDT
[#34]
The 229 was the first .40 I really liked shooting.

I think you'll like the 226.  I just picked up mine earlier this week.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 11:29:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I sprung for select grade as well, and am very happy with mine.

Very minor holster wear, but no frame rail wear at all.

I have a 357 sig bbl on the way.
View Quote
My pistol case had a 2nd mag (advertisement listing said '1 mag') and a bottle of Miltech.  The 2nd mag was sealed in the little plastic bag.
My gun had no visible wear anywhere but a rack/badge/ID number engraved into the grip.  Fairly certain mine was unfired until it came into my possession.
I've always been happy with the 'select grade' upcharge from Aim... they've yet to do me wrong.

It isn't unfired now.  The DAK took a few rounds to figure out, if I run it like a big Kahr it's easy.  Still pondering swapping internals and making it a DA/SA... think I need 2 springs to complete the required parts list from what I already have in my spares bin.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 4:33:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Very cool.

Mine came with the number etched into the grip as well, which is what I was hoping for. I remember there were different "styles" of the p226 being shipped, and the one I got had the older roll mark (marked "stainless" as well as the small "p226") logo on the left side  as well as the tan "frame made in Germany" on the right side.

My other sig is a newer p220 with the big "p220" on the left side with the American made frame. It is awesome, but I was hoping for the more retro look, which I couldn't be happier about.

I will be keeping mine 100% factory except for the .357 sig barrel. I also love the glow in the dark sights. If I was going to carry I would probably install tritium, but I just wanted an inexpensive 40sw just because it always seems easy to find, and I wanted to try out the 357.

Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but from what I can tell I like the DAK. I would have preferred they made it more like the LEM from HK, but I like modified dao autos.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:34:54 PM EDT
[#37]
What color was all you people's recoil and mainspring?

Mine were yellow and red, respectively
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 8:44:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top