Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2017 10:43:28 PM EDT
I don't know about you guys, but I would love an LCP in .22 LR. Would be great for a trainer to my .380 LCP or as a proverbial "tackle box" gun. These use to be pretty popular, and I know they make .380s the same size now, but the .22 would be so much cheaper to practice with and the recoil would be far less.

Ruger, are you listening? Beretta? Give us a modern Bobcat please!
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 10:59:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I was thinking the same thing the other day when I pulled out my 21a. I love the tip-up barrel but hate the safety and mag release. I would love one like the LCP.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 5:49:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm surprised no one has made a .22 Conversion kit for the LCP.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 6:16:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Rimfire pistols are generally (always?) blowback and getting one to run properly is a balancing act between weight of barrel/slide, weight of recoil spring and power of the cartridge .

I am thinking this balancing act gets more difficult as the pistol gets smaller.

All the good reliable rimfire pistols seem to start with a medium size frame and about a 4 1/2" barrel . Think of Ruger standards and Mark series, Buckmarks , Colt woodsman , S&W 41.

There are just a few good designs out there. Beretta had a tilt barrel that has a decent reputation , I own one in 22short , chunky little gun, it could use larger sights , but it is small .

I have seen various little pot metal junkers (raven/phoenix) that are hit or miss but generally not worth messing with.

I do agree there seems to be a opportunity for some maker to come up with a design

Years back I owned a S&W 2213 that was a pretty decent compact 22 . For the life of me I don't remember why I sold it . I sell very few guns. I believe it was only made in the 1990s
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 7:01:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I've wondered why SIG never made a .22 conversion for the P238?
They have done one for the P938.
The Beretta Bobcat is fun but none of mine are reliable after the second or third mag. A quick swipe w/bore snake and they keep running fine.
What would be cool is a ten shot revolver snubbie with a break top action like the old S&W's.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 7:24:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I would like to get the twisted industries conversion  for my wife's LC9.  Conversion kits are really the way to go if you want to practice with a carry gun.  Plus they make great trainers for kids and newbies.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 8:51:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I don't know about you guys, but I would love an LCP in .22 LR.
View Quote
No thanks
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 9:41:44 AM EDT
[#7]
beretta m21 is what you seek.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 1:46:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
beretta m21 is what you seek.
View Quote
It may be. Any opinion on the PT22 from Taurus? I am not a Taurus fan in general, but they have been making them forever. I thought this was one of the better guns they made.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 6:51:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I think it'd be great to have a .22lr pistol in the size of a mouse gun like a KT .32 or LCP.

I've held a Taurus PLY22, almost bought it but reports of reliability aren't great, and it's not really what i'd consider a pocket gun.

Used to have a Beretta .22 that the Taurus is patterned after, with the tip up barrel. A fun gun but mine only ran reliably with CCI mini mags. I remembered it being smaller than the PLY22.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 8:06:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm addicted to Advantage Arms conversion kits and hope AA releases a conversion kit for the Glock 42 or Glock 43.  I've bought dedicated frames for all my AA kits  a 26/27 kit,  Gen 3 19/23 kit, Gen 4 AA 19/23 kit plus a AA 17/22 kit.  I also have an AA 1911 standard kit on a dedicated RIA frame.

An Advantage Arms kit for a Glock 42 would make a great small 22 rimfire pistol.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 8:25:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Beretta 70 series. I got my 2 pretty cheap with the fake suppressor son them. Great shooters.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 10:42:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Some of the best pocket/ tackle box guns are .22 revolvers. A little smith 34 63 317 or ruger is handy heck even the shorter barrel bear cat single actions now available with birds head style grip is about perfect. Shoot anything from shorts longs long rifle and shot cartridges. More accurate than the size would suggest. My favorite 2" 34 will shoot quarter size groups at ten yards
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 11:01:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Spend $500 on a Walther TPH . . . or . . .

Spend $100 on a Jimenez JA22 . . . seriously . . .

I'm an FFL/Pawnbroker. I used to carry some Jimenez pistols since they were cheap and I could make a bunch of money selling them. Only problem was that people kept complaining about failures to feed, failures to fire, failures to extract . . . picky, picky, picky . . . Anyway, some guy brought one back and bitched a blue moon about it. I gave him full credit toward a different gun. I ended up taking his JA22 out to test it. Thing ran like a striped ass ape. I loved that little gun. Ended up taking it home. No, I won't sell them anymore but they are a cool little gun in a cheap, Saturday Night Special sort of way. Honestly, if you run decent ammo in them a lot of them will run just fine. I've had good luck with standard velocity ammo -- CCI or Fiocchi worked great.

A lot of cool little gun for $100. What difference does it make if your tackle box gun chokes occasionally?

Link Posted: 7/4/2017 2:58:12 PM EDT
[#14]
It's not "new", but the recently imported Beretta Model 70 pistols are the best deal around, selling for around $300 in very good to excellent condition.  They are reasonably accurate (not quite up to Walther PP .22LR standards, but close), and relentlessly reliable.

Link Posted: 7/4/2017 3:25:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 4:58:28 AM EDT
[#16]
what you seek is the cutting edge Beretta 948:

Mine is in similar condition and I got it a year ago for $150 plus tax.  

Other options are a Bersa Thunder in 22LR.

I have a Bobcat 21A and I am amazed so many people want one in the year 2017.  The two options above are like a S&W 41 by comparison.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 8:57:35 AM EDT
[#17]
I was disappointed with my Walther TPH... the slide bit me every time I shot it, and I don't have large hands....Beretta 21A would be my suggestion, but it would be nice if the gun was a lot slimmer... I wish my Beretta 950 was in .22short and not .25
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 11:38:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Older designs are the way to go here. With micro 380's and scarcely larger 9mm's on the Market  there is no incentive to develop new small 22 designs. Go in just about any shop and you will find dozens of small 22's. I used to have a walther tph no bite for me. I currently have a beretta 21 S&W 34 2" beretta jaguar. All great running reliable surprisingly accurate guns. The cheap Jennings/ Jimenez types older colt or astra junior/cub in 22 short
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 11:49:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Have owned a handful of the small 22's over the years.  Getting them to work reliably is a challenge.  Most had a definite ammo preference.  Most needed to be kept cleaned and lubed.  

It's harder to do than most think.  Rimfire ammo isn't to reliable to begin with and the comparatively large rim doesn't help.  The ammo doesn't have much power bur requires a pretty stout smack to ignite.  Getting spring weight and slide mass balanced is tricky.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 12:15:59 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a couple of the Beretta 21s and they are neat little guns.   Always functioned well for me.  The only complaint I have is that the sights are pretty much just a reference point.  Any resemblance between POA and POI is strictly coincidental.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top