Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/9/2017 8:00:45 AM EDT
Posted in Walther page but no replies.
Anyway recently handled my first pps. Loved it. Sticker was 429.00
Dealer said he would sell to me for $400 Plus tax. Then there's the $100 mail in rebate! So I'd be into it for under $350 for by the time it's said and done.   But I'd have to buy a holster or two.
   I currently edc a sig p938 and compete with a full size 1911.  I do have glocks and other handguns also but since I started competing with the 1911 I purchased the p938 to keep controls somewhat similar.
  Anyway what's holding me back is if I'm not mistaken the pps comes with a 6 and 7rd mag. So 7+1 for carry.  My p938 is also 7+1 and has a smaller foot print for carry.  If the pps was 8+1 in the same size it is with the 7rd mag I'd probably be all over it.  I just keep thinking why buy a new gun that is a little bigger and holds the same amount of ammo?
   I guess I'm just looking for a good reason to buy another gun lol
Thanks for any tips!
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 8:21:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 8:40:40 AM EDT
[#2]
It is not a bad deal and the PPS is a pretty nice pistol.  I have an M1 and here is what I will tell you being as objective as I can.  The PPS out of the box has a great trigger one of the best of the SS9's.  Aftermarket support is limited with very few sight options but if you like 3 dot night sights you are good.  Holsters are becoming common for the PPS line up but are not as common as some of the bigger names (Glock M&P etc).  If you do not like the trigger and hope to modify it good luck because their is no aftermarket for that but remember the PPS comes with a good trigger already.  Mags are kind of pricey and can be found just not as easily as big names but once you have them you are good I have 5 for mine that I snagged on sale at Midway.  If I were in the market for a SS9 pistol I would get a PPS M2 although I like the M1 more with the paddle mag release.  Just my observations after owning a PPS hope it helps I say DO IT!
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 9:39:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I edc the same as you 938/1911 and after shooting the PPS I am getting one in the next 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 1:11:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I edc the same as you 938/1911 and after shooting the PPS I am getting one in the next 2 weeks.
View Quote
Thanks for all the replies!

Even though you won't be gaining any extra rds? And it will have a bigger foot print than the 938?
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 1:22:43 PM EDT
[#5]
That is a good deal on a PPS.  The link from gotuonpaper seems even better, depending on transfer fees.

PPS is a great gun.  Reliable, accurate, easy to shoot, easy to carry.  Very happy with mine (gen 1).
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 1:51:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks for all the replies!

Even though you won't be gaining any extra rds? And it will have a bigger foot print than the 938?
View Quote
Cheaper and it just shoots so well.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 2:20:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Cheaper and it just shoots so well.
View Quote
Not to mention you have different mag lengths you can use that allow for small size 6 round up to large size bigger grip 7 and 8 round.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 4:01:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a PPS classic that I got almost 2 years ago. I think it is a great carry gun. It is slim for comfortable carry, yet it shoots and handles like a larger gun. By that, I mean it is very controllable and accurate.

Yesterday I was shooting my PPS over the chronograph with Federal 124 HST ammo. I wanted to see how much velocity was lost with the shorter PPS barrel. To my surprise, the PPS was only 26 fps slower than the Beretta 92FS. The PPS chamber has an area by the case mouth that is slightly narrower than the rest of the chamber. This is supposed to help with velocity. It seems to work based on my simple test.

Here are the velocity results from 5 shot averages...

Federal 124 HST (Non-plus P)
Walther PPS   1121 fps
Beretta 92FS  1147 fps
Glock 17        1210 fps
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 4:58:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have a PPS classic that I got almost 2 years ago. I think it is a great carry gun. It is slim for comfortable carry, yet it shoots and handles like a larger gun. By that, I mean it is very controllable and accurate.

Yesterday I was shooting my PPS over the chronograph with Federal 124 HST ammo. I wanted to see how much velocity was lost with the shorter PPS barrel. To my surprise, the PPS was only 26 fps slower than the Beretta 92FS. The PPS chamber has an area by the case mouth that is slightly narrower than the rest of the chamber. This is supposed to help with velocity. It seems to work based on my simple test.

Here are the velocity results from 5 shot averages...

Federal 124 HST (Non-plus P)
Walther PPS   1121 fps
Beretta 92FS  1147 fps
Glock 17        1210 fps
View Quote
Stepped chamber or technically called offset obturation it was Luger who patented the design to help seal the chamber of the tapered cartridge.  In my PPS is makes the pistol choke on aluminium and steel cased ammo but feeds brass case no issue.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 5:06:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
In my PPS is makes the pistol choke on aluminium and steel cased ammo but feeds brass case no issue.
View Quote
I never tried anything other than brass. Good to know.

Mine has been 100% reliable with brass.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 5:08:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Great handgun for concealed carry. I ditched my G43 for one.

And yes, I have had a malfunction once in 1000 rounds with aluminum cased ammo. Not a huge deal but just be aware. With ammo coming down in price it should be much easier to pick up cheap brass cased ammo.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 5:15:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I never tried anything other than brass. Good to know.

Mine has been 100% reliable with brass.
View Quote
Same here with brass never an issue.  One day I had bought a load of Al case ammo and decided to shoot my PPS and it was choking almost every or every other round.  Switched to brass and 100 rounds later no issue.  Loaded up a mag of Al case and back to chocking.  My neighbor who I shoot with all the time his XDm does the exact same thing with the Al case ammo but never bats and eye with brass.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 6:41:09 PM EDT
[#13]
They have issues with the trigger bar peening the barrel at the breech, but it doesn't affect function so far.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 1:01:47 AM EDT
[#14]
My PPS M1, and all my P99s have the stepped chamber, and eat Federal Aluminum without issue.

Just another case in point that all guns are individuals and absolutely have to be tested with whatever ammo you are going to carry, or simply use as range fodder.

Oh, and I say go for it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 6:42:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 11:00:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Its a very good slim pistol.   With the rebate it's a screaming deal.  I paid about the same for a very lightly used one.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 11:07:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Did they stop making the PPS M1?

cant find one anywhere 
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 1:22:28 AM EDT
[#18]
You are NOT on a budget sir.

You know what to do.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 9:40:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Did they stop making the PPS M1?

cant find one anywhere 
View Quote
Sadly, yes.

I just hope they don't mess up the P99 in their quest to become a "me too" manufacturer of generic polymer pistols.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 9:55:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Sadly, yes.

I just hope they don't mess up the P99 in their quest to become a "me too" manufacturer of generic polymer pistols.
View Quote
And of course, they don't make the M2 with the paddle mag release 
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 1:14:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sadly, yes.

I just bought a used "classic" PPS, paid a little more for it than I should have but oh well, I didn't want the M2. One just went on the EE for $345 shipped.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 10:04:36 AM EDT
[#22]
be warned that walther has a barrel peening issue due to the trigger bar slamming into part of the barrel during reset. They refuse to address the issue and give us the standard walther response "It's normal".

just google "pps m2 barrel peening" and there's a massive thread on it over at the walther forums
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 5:46:43 PM EDT
[#23]
I just ordered the LE PPS M2 from Gunbuyer for $394 shipped.  Figure it will be $294 after the rebate so why not.  I bought a PPQ M1 last year and love it and the PPS M2 I handled in the store feels very similar to the larger design.  My girlfriend has a Glock 43 and one of these days I may also buy a Shield to see how they compare to one another but Shield seem to be pretty common and cheaper but I figured this Walther rebate offer was too good to pass up for a summer time gun.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 8:40:18 PM EDT
[#24]
I took a chance and bought a PPS M1 First Edition unseen, such was my confidence in Walther products.  Happily, it has proven very accurate - far more accurate than its size or appearance would suggest.  Very versatile with those three different magazines, too, and very flat.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 8:55:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Looks like I'm the only one. I have an M1 and honestly don't like it much . I never shoot mine
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 5:14:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 6:52:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I shot mine a bunch after purchase but mostly just carry it now.

What don't you like about M1?  Have you tried an M2?
View Quote
Magazine cost.....
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 11:52:39 PM EDT
[#28]
My PPS Classic is amazingly accurate for a "small" gun. I had to choose between my G43 or PPS to put on my permit and went with PPS. It really is the sweet spot between size and capability. The only thing it doesn't do as well is work as an ankle gun as a G43 but I rarely have that need.

I regularly shoot tighter groups with the PPS than the G19 which is my go-to handgun! But the PPS is closer to a single-stack G19 in size so it's not quite fair to compare it to a G43 for example. My PPS has Trijicon HD sights that work well.

Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 7:19:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Magazine cost.....
View Quote
Truth, the only thing holding me back now.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 12:51:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
be warned that walther has a barrel peening issue due to the trigger bar slamming into part of the barrel during reset. They refuse to address the issue and give us the standard walther response "It's normal".

just google "pps m2 barrel peening" and there's a massive thread on it over at the walther forums
View Quote
"Be warned" about what?  That little barrel peening "issue" has been around since the first release (M1, Classic, or whatever).  You've got a couple of OCD types making a non issue appear to be an issue.  Similar to the "barrel etching" on the PPQ 45 from that one dude who even took it to Facebook.  

The peening where the trigger bar impacts the barrel is not an issue, it has been ongoing and is self limiting.  All three of my PPS (M1/Classic) 9mm pistols have minor peening.  It's a non issue and I believe that even the manufacturer has claimed it to also be a "non issue."
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 11:08:25 PM EDT
[#31]
I just purchased one from an online vendor. They were selling the basic model with 2 mags for 350ish, and were including an additional 7 round magazine. After rebate, it's $260 shipped to my FFL. 

I plan on testing it out vs my G26, and see how things go. As of late, I've grown to dislike my G26 for summer carry, and wish I had something smaller without going down to 380. At $260...this seemed liked a no brainer. (and yes...I tried the Shield, but it just wasn't my cup of tea)
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 7:21:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I just purchased one from an online vendor. They were selling the basic model with 2 mags for 350ish, and were including an additional 7 round magazine. After rebate, it's $260 shipped to my FFL. 

I plan on testing it out vs my G26, and see how things go. As of late, I've grown to dislike my G26 for summer carry, and wish I had something smaller without going down to 380. At $260...this seemed liked a no brainer. (and yes...I tried the Shield, but it just wasn't my cup of tea)
View Quote
If the PPS doesn't work out for you, get a 43. Carries much better than a 26.

I bought a PPS recently. Not exactly sure how I feel about it yet, only had it to the range once so far. Feels great in the hand, but the reset is very long, and the recoil impulse reminds me of the Glock 43 (snappy-ish) despite the extra weight. Plus, I feel like I need to put some grip tape on the left side of the dust cover.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 10:04:32 AM EDT
[#33]
I've had a PPS M1 and a 938 at the same time. I swapped in the mustang spring to lighten the trigger pull. But it was just too small for my hands, my accuracy even with subsonic ammo was poor at best. I love my 1911s but the 938 got sold, for me it was too heavy for pocket carry.

Still have the M1, fits my hand great with the large backstrap and for me it's as accurate as my USP 9mm out to 15 yards. Light recoil and super slim. I also have a 9mm Shield which I like just as much. But the PPS gets more range time, the 8 round mags make it feel like a full size pistol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top