Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2017 10:05:50 PM EDT
Thinking about picking one up and can't decide between the M9A1 and the A3. Obviously you get a threaded barrel and night sights, so those more than make up for the price difference, I'm just wondering it that's it? A couple bolt-ons and some baby-shit brown paint and anodizing?

Does the Vertec frame fit the hand better? I like the normal M9 frame (large hands) but something smaller wouldn't hurt because it is kinda large.

Would you FO on the A3 if it was $965 and the M9A1 was $600ish?

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:10:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I was really considering an A3 but after further consideration I thought..

1. I'm not going to be running a suppressor
2. I had a vertec and it wasn't any vast improvement over the A1 IMO
3. I already have an A1

So I did this.  

Super happy with it although I would like to get some custom stocks for it.  

With all that being said... if I didn't already have one I might spring for the A3. I handled one today for the first time and they are sexy.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:12:12 PM EDT
[#2]
And you need more A3 pics!
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 5:20:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I prefer the M9A3.

Link Posted: 5/24/2017 6:19:45 AM EDT
[#4]
The grip on the A1 looks better to me. 
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:01:58 AM EDT
[#5]
You get night sights, threaded barrel, and two types of grips. If you like the Vertec grip you have that, if you like the traditional grip it comes with that grip as well. My opinion is the Vertec and M9A3 is the Beretta 92 brought into the 21st century. It is 2017 there is no exscuse for a gun to have a non-replaceable front sight.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:05:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You get night sights, threaded barrel, and two types of grips. If you like the Vertec grip you have that, if you like the traditional grip it comes with that grip as well. My opinion is the Vertec and M9A3 is the Beretta 92 brought into the 21st century. It is 2017 there is no exscuse for a gun to have a non-replaceable front sight.
View Quote
Does the A3 have a straighter grip?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:18:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Does the A3 have a straighter grip?
View Quote
Yes. The A3 uses a vertec grip which is flat in the back. It feels similar to a 1911 with a flat MSH. If you prefer the hump, the M9A3 includes a wrap around grip that is similar to the M9 and M9A1.

M9A3 standard grips:

M9A3 wrap around grip:
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:34:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yes. The A3 uses a vertec grip which is flat in the back. It feels similar to a 1911 with a flat MSH. If you prefer the hump, the M9A3 includes a wrap around grip that is similar to the M9 and M9A1.

M9A3 standard grips:
https://68.media.tumblr.com/b035fcb795efa431f9a03a019a0f9519/tumblr_nzh3nhJmJ01s3o90uo1_500.jpg

M9A3 wrap around grip:
http://i.imgur.com/RQMC2yH.jpg
View Quote
Gotcha. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:58:47 AM EDT
[#9]
When it comes to Beretta's I'm a huge fan of the Vertec frame.  For me, it makes all the difference.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:31:53 AM EDT
[#10]
I prefer the Vertec frame, but I have a hard time justifying $1000 for what is basically a 92.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:30:00 AM EDT
[#11]
ABSOLUTELY!
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:33:52 AM EDT
[#12]
I bought one. Not that it means anything.
For me it was worth it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:39:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I prefer the Vertec frame, but I have a hard time justifying $1000 for what is basically a 92.
View Quote
Well you get:

Night sights
Better trigger.
Standard grips plus a hogue wraparound grip.
Threaded barrel.
3 magazines

Trust me it's worth it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:44:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Well you get:

Night sights
Better trigger.
Standard grips plus a hogue wraparound grip.
Threaded barrel.
3 magazines

Trust me it's worth it.
View Quote
I have no use for a threaded barrel or Hogues.   I can improve the trigger on a regular 92 for $7.  Nights sights are worthwhile.

For some it may be worth the uplift.  For me it isn't.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:59:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I have no use for a threaded barrel or Hogues.   I can improve the trigger on a regular 92 for $7.  Nights sights are worthwhile.

View Quote
This is kinda where I'm hung. Iowa green-lighted suppressors last year, so it could be a benefit, and yet it's been a year and I still have no concrete plans to acquire said suppressor. Night sights would be nice and are about the only real, every day advantage it would have at this point. 

Thanks for the replies. 
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:20:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
You don't have to use a suppressor. The barrel is threaded for one, use it or don't. Either way on a standard Beretta 92 you are going to have that barrel extended out of the slide regardless, might as well thread it and make it multipurpose. The D hammer spring is already installed so you can save your $7. Don't like the houge grip, don't use it. IMO the Vertec grip is the way all Beretta's should come. The Vertec grip makes the gun feel a lot better. You also get  a rail to mount a light, checking on the front and back strap, extended checkered mag catch and a beveled mag well. The night sights are nice but more importantly the ability to change your sights is the biggest draw. You get a lot for your money over a standard 92. IMO comparing the 92/M9 to the M9A3 is like compairing a Fiat to a Ferrari. .

OP, you can always try to find a 92 Vertec, but it isn't really going to be any less exspensive unless you get lucky. There are two 92 Vertecs on gunbroker now, both are beat to shit police trade ins and the going price is $800 each. Vertecs demand a premium. The Beretta Vertec is essentially the M9A3 without the threaded barrel, vertical serrations instead of checkering, and a slightly different rail. You still get the beveled magwell, and the dovetail sights, plus you get a stainless steel barrel that is semi flush with the slide. The only other option is to buy a 92A1 which has a rail and the ability to change your sights. If you want a Vertec grip you can send it off to AGW and have the frame cut to a Vertec angle. However you are basically going to be spending the same amount and getting less as the 92A1 doesn't have front and back strap checkering, beveled magwell or the threaded barrel. Also the slide and frame on the 92A1 cannot be swapped with a standard 92 frame or slide because of the design of the 92A1.

Berettas hold their value very well and especially when it comes to something like the M9A3 or a Vertec. In 2009 I passed on a Inox Vertec brand new for $600. Today Inox Vertecs are pulling double that when they go up for sale. An M9A3 won't be lost value, if you buy it and don't like it toss it up on the EE and you will probably get your money back out of it in a few hours.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:28:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah, the thing pushing the A3 is a local place has them in stock at 10% off if you sign up for the store card (just long enough to cancel it) so $899+ tax is appealing. 
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:30:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yeah, the thing pushing the A3 is a local place has them in stock at 10% off if you sign up for the store card (just long enough to cancel it) so $899+ tax is appealing. 
View Quote
I would jump on that if I were local. I am on a waiting list for the M9A3 at my local shop. My price is locked in so I will continue to wait but I will have one before the years out.

My Vertec

Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:23:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I would jump on that if I were local. I am on a waiting list for the M9A3 at my local shop. My price is locked in so I will continue to wait but I will have one before the years out.

My Vertec

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/73787/IMG-2865-207579.jpg
View Quote
What grips are those?  That's what I need!
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:42:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

What grips are those?  That's what I need!
View Quote
http://lokgrips.com

They are custom made to my specs. If you want some like mine you will need to email Jayson. Tell him you want the Bogey texture with a boarder, and an enhanced relief cut at the top for the safety. My color is coyote rather than the standard FDE he offers. Just tell him you saw mine in here he will know what you are talking about. I have this same set up on my M9 as well. Excellent grips.

There is a thread over in the Beretta section about his grips.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_15/175747_New-custom-G10-grips-from-Lok-Grips-for-my-92fs.html

Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:50:35 PM EDT
[#21]
I prefer the Vertec frame but I think for similar money, the Wilson Combat Brigadier gives me more features I would use.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:57:21 PM EDT
[#22]
My vote is yes.  Finally found one in the G decock configuration. Love this combo.

Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:04:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Just got to handle one today and was more than impressed with the A3. The Vertec frame really changed how the gun felt and I like it a lot.

Going to be a tough one. Might have to flip a coin at some point.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:32:27 AM EDT
[#24]
My m9a1C is my standard EDC. My only complaint is the fixed front sight. Everything else can be modified to my preference.

If I was about to buy one it would be the A3. I just like having night sights on carry guns.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 1:34:15 PM EDT
[#25]
I just sold my FS, replaced it with my FAVORITE/92A1. If that M9A3 were made in Black, I'd already own it!  Definitely going to buy an M9A1, anyday now.  If you like the FDE, GET IT!
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:52:40 PM EDT
[#26]
IMO comparing the 92/M9 to the M9A3 is like comparing a Fiat to a Ferrari. .
View Quote
Not really......It's the same SAME underlining gun. Just different options.
I have held & shot the M9A3. And I own an M9.  Other then the crud hanging off the M9A3 & the horrid over the top color, it shot exactly the same as my M9 with a D spring.
It is a more modern design but Beretta is just to late. And they are nuts to be charging what they are for the same underlining 25yo 92.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:39:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
And they are nuts to be charging what they are for the same underlining 25yo 92.
View Quote
They're nuts to charge what they are when you can't find them in stock anywhere lol.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:16:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Not really......It's the same SAME underlining gun. Just different options.
I have held & shot the M9A3. And I own an M9.  Other then the crud hanging off the M9A3 & the horrid over the top color, it shot exactly the same as my M9 with a D spring.
It is a more modern design but Beretta is just to late. And they are nuts to be charging what they are for the same underlining 25yo 92.
View Quote
They may look the same but one is made to perform a lot better. The M9 has a fixed front sight that can not be changed or improved without machining the sight. The M9A3 has a dovetail front sight allowing the user to easily change the sights on the M9A3. The M9 does not have a rail to mount a light, laser or both. You have to use a rail adapter to interface with the device you want to use adding bulk and extra weight to the platform. The M9A3 does have provisions to easily mount these devices via it's integrated rail on the dust cover. The M9 has a serrated front and back strap that does offer a solid surface even with wet hands but the checkering front and back on the M9A3 is remarkably better. The M9 does not have a beveled magwell. The M9A3 does. This may seem like a minor upgrade but owning Beretta's with and without the beveled magwell, I can tell a difference. My preference is to have a beveled magwell. Finally you have the big upgrade, the Vertec frame. The 1911 style grip fits any hand big or small much better than the grip on the M9. I love my M9 but it is dated, serviceable but dated. While I do not own an M9A3 (yet), if I had to choose between my M9 and 92FS Vertec I would choose the Vertec because those "options" are force multipliers. Better sights, weapon mounted light, better grip, faster reloads. For me it is worth the price and apparently I am not alone as they are out of stock everywhere.  

I do not agree that Beretta is too late. They have a back log of orders for the M9A3 going back years right now. They can not meet the demand for their M9, M9A1 and M9A3 line of pistols. The M9A3 grew out of the M9A1's development. Beretta was trying to save the US tax payers money by suggesting changes to the military's current order of M9s to the upgraded M9A3. The M9A3s would have cost less and given the military a more capable pistol. The M9A3 is as capable as any other fighting gun on the market today and I would be willing to bet 25 years from now Beretta will still be producing a version of the 92 series gun.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:30:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Comes down to you; all any of us can offer is how we feel about it, which isn't really helpful.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:46:20 AM EDT
[#30]
The military dumping the M9 should free up plenty of production capability for the civilian market.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:29:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The military dumping the M9 should free up plenty of production capability for the civilian market.
View Quote
Berreta is still fulfilling a contract that's not over till 2019 fwiw.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:36:27 AM EDT
[#32]
What's the difference between the M9A3 and the Vertec?
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:02:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
What's the difference between the M9A3 and the Vertec?
View Quote
Threaded barrel, the Vertec has a semi flush stainless steel barrel, serrated front and rear back straps on the Vertec, the M9A3 has a checkered front and rear back straps. The M9A3 ships with a D hammer spring installed, the Vertec doesn't. The M9A3 has a true MIL-STD-1913 rail while the Vertec has a standard light rail. The M9A3 comes with an over sized checkered mag catch, the Vertec doesn't..The M9A3 comes with a lanyard loop spring cap, the Vertec comes with a flush hammer spring cap. The color, but the M9A3 is supposed to come in black at some point.

They both have the same slide with dovetailed sights, Vertec frame and beveled magwell.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:08:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The color, but the M9A3 is supposed to come in black at some point.
View Quote
This is mainly why I ask. I have no use for a tan gun.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 2:31:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
You will most likely pay close to or more for for a used Vertec over an M9A3. Unless you get a smoking deal somewhere. I got very lucky with my Vertec, I paid $600 with 12 mags. Right now there are four Vertecs on gunbroker. Three are police trade in G models for $750 plus shipping and the other is a 92 Vertec Inox that will probably hit $1,000 by the close. I have thought really hard about grabbing up all three of those G models, sending them to AGW to have the front and back straps checkered and the barrels reversed crowned just to have.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Semi-Auto-Pistols/BI.aspx?mfg=1000038&mo=3002759
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:42:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
I use mine the same way I use my black and stainless Berettas. Except I shoot it more.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 5:50:11 PM EDT
[#37]
M9A3 or bust

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top