Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2017 9:10:27 PM EDT
Anyone else feel that shorter guns seem to point alot quicker than ones with say,  5"or so bbls. Seems so to me when handling my officer model 1911. Just want to know if its a thing thats been discussed or not cuz all I've seen mentioned was sight radius
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:16:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I've experienced this as well, but I shoot full-size 1911s better than Officer's models.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:35:20 PM EDT
[#2]
My G17 I am faster with than my G34.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:07:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Not for me.

It might seem like shorter guns point faster just because on a gun with a longer sight radius smaller imperfections in sight alignment are more visible so it seems like it takes longer to align the sights.  However on a gun with a longer sight radius you can get away with the sights being more misaligned and still hit what you're aiming at than you can with the same sight picture on a gun with a shorter sight radius.  So it's important to understand on each of your guns how imperfect a sight picture you can get away with, or said another way, how much a small change in sight alignment affects POI.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:39:30 PM EDT
[#4]
When I first went to shooting 5" guns (1911s, M&P Pro, G34) over FS M&Ps and Glock 19/17, yes, I did notice that I wasn't transitioning as quickly and some splits seemed a bit slower. 

With a little refinement and trigger time I think it's gone. I'm not seeing it on the shot clock, or in the results. 

I think it depends on how you track the front sight between targets and the slide speed. If the slide is quick and you use your NPA well, your eyes go to the next target quickly, and snap to the front sight. If you follow the front sight between targets with a slow slide, you're going to be shooting in molasses.

I know the speed of the slide isn't a huge effect if the gun operates fine, but it can play a factor in regaining your focus on the front sight and if you are suddenly looking for it when you expect it to be there, you're going to be slow.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:58:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I know you are in the auto world but I find a 4" if you are in the revolver world seems to pick up the best for me. Balance maybe?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:52:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not for me.

It might seem like shorter guns point faster just because on a gun with a longer sight radius smaller imperfections in sight alignment are more visible so it seems like it takes longer to align the sights.  However on a gun with a longer sight radius you can get away with the sights being more misaligned and still hit what you're aiming at than you can with the same sight picture on a gun with a shorter sight radius.  So it's important to understand on each of your guns how imperfect a sight picture you can get away with, or said another way, how much a small change in sight alignment affects POI.
View Quote
Let's explore the numbers for a minute and see how much advantage that longer sight radius offers.

My 5" 1911 has a sight radius of 6.7", while my Kimber Ultra Carry has a sight radius of 4.75".

If I am shooting at a target that is 15 yards away - far for most defensive shooting purposes -  how much difference is there with the same amount of sight alignment error?

When you do the math you find that the error in point of impact is:

.8" for every 1/100th of an inch of sight misalignment with the 6.7" sight radius; and
1.14" for every 1/100th of an inch of sight misalignment with the 4.75" sight radius.

If you increase that by a factor of five (5/100ths, or 1/20th of an inch), the 15 yard error in POI is 3.2" for the 6.7" sight radius and 5.7" for the 4.75" sight radius.  That's a difference of just 2.5".  That isn't going to make a significant difference on a torso sized target, or even on a steel popper.

-----

What does make a difference is how well the sights are aligned when the pistol rises into your line of sight.  Over time, and with extensive practice, your brain learns exactly what it has to do with the muscles in you hand to create a grip that will result in the sights being precisely aligned.   You get there by drawing and raising the pistol so that the front sight is on target, then pausing to verify and/or correct the sight picture to a very precise alignment before squeezing the trigger. Eventually you'll find no correction is needed as the sights comes into view and all you are doing is verifying the sight picture (and the need to shoot) as your grip and eye motor loop are very well established.   That "pause" is then extremely short.

That is a lot easier and a lot quicker to achieve with a handgun that fits your hand, balances well and naturally points in a manner where the sights are already aligned or very close to being aligned.  

----

When I'm in an LGS or test driving a new pistol, I will close my eyes and bring the pistol up in line with a target on a wall 7-10 yards away.  If I find the front sight is significantly higher than the rear sight (as the pistol points too high),  or is pointing not visible at all (as the pistol points too low and the slide obscures the front sight), or points significantly left or right (because the grip is to wide, to narrow or to round to properly index in my hand), i just put the pistol back on the counter or bench and move on to something else.   There's not much point in fighting with a pistol that just does not fit your hand well - unless you are required to shoot it as an issued firearm.

On the other hand, if I find the sights are in alignment with each other, and the front sight is on target or close to it, then I've got a winner that is worth looking at further.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top