Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2017 8:12:29 AM EDT
Had a guy offer to trade me a FDE FNX 45 Tactical for my USP 45 Tactical. Never owned a FNX, but I do like the fact it's milled for an RMR. Anyone out there who own both that can chime in on some pros and cons and what their preference is?
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:44:04 AM EDT
[#1]
All I can say is that I thought about selling my USP.45 tactical at one time. I took it out and shot it again and realized what an awesome pistol it was.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 6:54:10 PM EDT
[#2]
The FNX Tactical is the new improved version of USP Tactical.  I have both.  Both feel like bricks in the hand.  What you get with the FN are:  pic rail, 15 rd capacity, back strap grips, can height night sights, RMR milled slide, ambi - controls.  With a RMR on top of it, the field of view is distracting.  Also certain RMRs have color tints to the glass.  You also get blow back from certain cans which mist up the glass.  

With HK, you get adjustable sights, proprietary rail, 12 rd capacity.

I have the HK45 tactical and HK45 CT also.  Another tool in the tool box.  All have been accurate and reliable.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 7:03:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I've become a huge fan of FN handguns lately. I do not have an FNX, but I do have an FNP. I would take that trade all day. You get a lot more from the FN over the HK.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 7:33:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The FNX Tactical is the new improved version of USP Tactical.  I have both.  Both feel like bricks in the hand.  What you get with the FN are:  pic rail, 15 rd capacity, back strap grips, can height night sights, RMR milled slide, ambi - controls.  With a RMR on top of it, the field of view is distracting.  Also certain RMRs have color tints to the glass.  You also get blow back from certain cans which mist up the glass.  

I have the HK45 tactical and HK45 CT also.  Another tool in the tool box.  All have been accurate and reliable.
View Quote
Pretty much sums it up. The FN gives you more options out of the box and is a much more updated platform. If I were going to buy a .45 from HK I would skip the USP and buy the HK 45 Tactical. It is an updated version of the USP. A few years ago over on PF they did a 50,000 round test on the HK45, it did very well. I have shot the HK 45 and it was very accurate. I have a P30, pretty much the 9mm version of that gun and it is an excellent shooter. I have a little over 5K rounds through it without any problems. My only complaint is the ambi slide release on the right side of the gun rattles a little. It doesn't effect function it is just annoying that an $800 rattles like that. It didn't start that way, it got loose as the gun broke in.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:59:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Pretty much sums it up. The FN gives you more options out of the box and is a much more updated platform. If I were going to buy a .45 from HK I would skip the USP and buy the HK 45 Tactical. It is an updated version of the USP. A few years ago over on PF they did a 50,000 round test on the HK45, it did very well. I have shot the HK 45 and it was very accurate. I have a P30, pretty much the 9mm version of that gun and it is an excellent shooter. I have a little over 5K rounds through it without any problems. My only complaint is the ambi slide release on the right side of the gun rattles a little. It doesn't effect function it is just annoying that an $800 rattles like that. It didn't start that way, it got loose as the gun broke in.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree, I would love to have the HK45T over the USP, but for the price I couldn't pass it up. I have an HK45 already though, but it's not the Tactical.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:11:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I sold my USP-T to fund my FNX-T.  The USP is a fantastic gun but the FNX is better in almost every way.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:11:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Want both

Bought USP 45  Tactical first

No regrets
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 2:06:32 AM EDT
[#8]
USP. How is this even a question?
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 3:51:07 AM EDT
[#9]
HK.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 4:04:36 AM EDT
[#10]
FN Tactical for me. I was about to buy the HK Tactical when FN came out with their new handgun. Both are good weapons, but 15 rounds vs 12 rounds was a big deal to me. So FN won me over. The recoil is also much nicer on the FN. After shooting the Hk I get this meat tenderizer look, ha. And FN did it right, tall suppressor night sights. HK has adjustable target black sights, those would have to be replaced ASAP. Trigger is actually pretty nice on the FN also. Most my friends who shoot my FN suppressed thinks it's the bee's knee's. Favorite suppressed handgun setup no doubt about it. The Silencerco Osprey suppressor goes so well with this gun.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 2:33:13 PM EDT
[#11]
The FNX has more features, but the HK feels like is of higher quality construction.

Seeing how they are in the similar price bracket, it depends on what you want.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 3:54:58 PM EDT
[#12]
FNX, because the HK trigger sucks, and they have a stupid rail that requires an adapter to mount anything. And yes I'm talking about the USP Tactical trigger, it's atrocious.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 6:53:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
FNX, because the HK trigger sucks, and they have a stupid rail that requires an adapter to mount anything. And yes I'm talking about the USP Tactical trigger, it's atrocious.
View Quote
I think you've got it in the wrong order.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 7:49:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Owning both guns, the USP Tactical's match trigger is much better than the FN.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 9:14:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The FNX has more features, but the HK feels like is of higher quality construction.
View Quote
This.

I have owned both.  Don't own the FNX anymore. Newbies would often insert the magazine backwards into the FNX putting it out of commission for the day.  

The FNX is a great range toy that isn't ready for prime time.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 5:11:26 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't mind the USP trigger at all. I think it is a very nice trigger with a crisp break. The rest is a little long, but most HKs are. Having never owned or shot the FNX Tac, I couldn't compare them.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:16:23 AM EDT
[#17]
I've got a three year old FNX-45 (non-tactical) and an HK USP 9mm made back in 2000.

Maybe it's because the USP has had so many rounds on it but the USP trigger to me is as good as the FNX, which IMHO is very good.

Overall for range use I prefer the FNX's ergos and 15 round capacity. Only complaint I have against the USP 9 was the short grip for a full sized pistol, some extended mag floor plates fixed that.

The USPs have a well deserved rep for being built like tanks and mine's no exception. I replaced the recoil spring last year and it was impossible to tell the old one from the replacement.

Hk mags are pricey, not the platform to get in to if you plan to have a footlocker full of mags.

Both have superb recoil management and accuracy. I've shot both against other .45s & 9s over the years and while others have come & gone the FNX & HK always made the cut.

I had originally planned to buy an HK .45 to replace my USP 9 but took a chance on the FNX when I stumbled across one at a great price. Glad I did, while time will tell how good the FNX is built vs HK it was a lot cheaper. It also didn't hurt that my FNX was built in the state I live in, so local dollars for local workers etc.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:56:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Only way I could describe the FNX in writing is "jack of all trades, master of none".
Only way I could describe the FNX with a picture is this.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:28:58 PM EDT
[#19]
FN vs H&K = Ferrari vs Lamborghini, IMO.

Yes, I own both. The FN is as accurate as the USP Tactical (amazing that is so) & it costs $200~ less. 15rd vs 12rd is a consideration as well.

Either way, one gets a top tier gun so there's no losing side, IMO.

What *I* would do is keep the H&K & buy a FN on my own.

My .o2
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 9:42:33 PM EDT
[#20]
H&Ks are OFFENSIVE HANDGUNS. They were advertised as such back in the days. As with most guns on the market they are measured up to H&K's standards.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 11:42:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
H&Ks are OFFENSIVE HANDGUNS. They were advertised as such back in the days. As with most guns on the market they are measured up to H&K's standards.
View Quote
Haha no the HK MK23 was spec-ed out by SOCOM to be an offensive pistol not the USP.  They lack on all the modern nicesaties like light rail compatible with lights sold now days, on par for size mag capacity, RMR cut, affordable magazines, and aftermarket support in general.  FNX wins this hands down they both do exactly the same thing one does not hurl fireballs or lightening bolts they both shot 230gr pills and the FN has more of the, with modern design.

OP have you considered a CZ 97 or Sig P227?  It sounds like you are looking for a hammer fired 45.  Or if 45 is your flavor the Glock 41/21, M&P 45 2.0, or Sig P320 45?
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:35:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Apples.  Oranges.  A USP Tactical will be a worthy of your life.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:25:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Haha no the HK MK23 was spec-ed out by SOCOM to be an offensive pistol not the USP.  They lack on all the modern nicesaties like light rail compatible with lights sold now days, on par for size mag capacity, RMR cut, affordable magazines, and aftermarket support in general.  FNX wins this hands down they both do exactly the same thing one does not hurl fireballs or lightening bolts they both shot 230gr pills and the FN has more of the, with modern design.

OP have you considered a CZ 97 or Sig P227?  It sounds like you are looking for a hammer fired 45.  Or if 45 is your flavor the Glock 41/21, M&P 45 2.0, or Sig P320 45?
View Quote
The light rail is easily fixable (GG&G or Surefire adapter), and since when were RMR cuts considered necessities?
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 2:52:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Dont the FNs get squishy when left in the sun?

Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:59:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The light rail is easily fixable (GG&G or Surefire adapter), and since when were RMR cuts considered necessities?
View Quote
Give it a few years it will be, red dots are fast becoming norm with more and more makers of red dots and more pistols being offered with cuts\mounts from the factory.  And just what I always wanted an adapter to get a light to work.  HK could do an update to the pistol and put a standard pic rail instead of holding on to pipe dreams with the HK rail.  The pistol works fine but it is outdated and should either modernized or dropped.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:43:51 PM EDT
[#26]
I've had both and sold the usp. The fn is a better value with the rail and rds ready.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:27:04 AM EDT
[#27]
The FN is feature loaded, you really get a lot for the price. Nice soft case, threaded barrel, three mags (with 15rd capacity), standardized bottom rail, raised suppressor night sights (with amber/green tritium no less), RMR cut from the factory. That's a lot of features! I'll admit mine took about a box of ammo to break in, but has been flawless ever since and I absolutely trust it.

That's not to trash the USP Tactical, as it is also an amazing pistol and suppressor host. The closest I've came personally is owning a pair of USPc's (still own a bi-tone 9mm). One day I'll pick up the Tactical as well, because more is better and the match triggers and adjustable sights both lend themselves for range shooting...and, well, because more guns are better! Overall I still feel if I could only have one I'd still have gone with my FNX Tactical.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:50:46 AM EDT
[#28]
If the added features of the FNX45T aren't going to be put to use, I'd stick with the USP.  That said, the gun I most frequently shoot is my FNX45T... With an RMR on it and often suppressed.  USP is more bullet proof but both are boringly reliable.

Personally, I wouldn't trade the USP for one, at that point I'd just get both.  If I were to buy one first, it would be the FN because options and customer support.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top