Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2017 12:22:21 AM EDT
Tonight I cleaned my RMR lens in anticipation of a pistol competition tomorrow. I drizzled a little water on it and wiped the lens down with a microfiber cloth. When I took a sight picture, the dot was gone. I've tried three batteries, with the same results. Using gen 3 night vision, I can verify that the dot is on and is working, I can turn it off and on using the controls, but I cannot change brightness. It was my understanding that the RMR is moderately waterproof. Has anyone else had this issue? Again, this issue arose immediately after the application of a very small amount of water to the lens, and persists now that the lens is dry.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 12:52:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Who cleans electronic optics with water? No offense OP, but next time put it on the rag first?

The only help I can offer is that your RMR seems to have died. Call Trijicon and tell them a story better than "I poured a little water on it". I'm sure they'll warranty it, but damn!
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 1:41:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Pull battery throw the device in a bag of rice and leave it for a few days.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 5:52:31 AM EDT
[#3]
They should be more waterproof. Between sitting on top of acogs overseas and on glocks aiwb getting sweated on all summer I think they have a good track record.

It could have just died.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 6:28:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I put a few droplets of water on it, and per the specs on the website, it is waterproof to 20 meters. I guess I'll call trijicon.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 7:00:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pull battery throw the device in a bag of rice and leave it for a few days.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 7:03:57 PM EDT
[#6]
besides being shock-affected, I've got nothing
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:19:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This.
View Quote
I went ahead and did this and will see what happens. I have to think the little drizzle has to have something to do with it, but we're talking about 10 drops of water on an optic rated to survive a depth of 60 feet. The optic would get wetter in two minutes of moderate rain, which I need the optic to survive since this pistol is my main CCW, and I shoot in bad weather whenever I can. I sent a request for warranty service to Trijicon. I've also had issues with it flickering, so it probably needs some work anyway.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:54:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Which RMR do you have?  Adjustable or non version.  The brightness of the dot reminds me of a similar problem I had with Eotech.  The seal went bad letting moisture in, which in turn affected the circutry.  The brightest setting was in NV mode.  The flickering problem could be a design to let you know battery needs changing.  If still flickering after new battery, or recoil, send back to mothership.  YMMV.  Best of luck and let us know what Trijicon does.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:03:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Check the battery connectors. These have a habit of bending in causing the battery to lose connection with the sight. If this is the issue, Battle Werx make a plate that sits between your slide and RMR to help this issue.

http://www.battlewerx.com/anti-flicker-sealing-plate-mos-mounting-kit-for-rmr-stainless/
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:10:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I've eventually come out to this: the small red dots are good as long as they're not being rapidly cycled repeatedly on a slide

I went back to irons
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:36:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've eventually come out to this: the small red dots are good as long as they're not being rapidly cycled repeatedly on a slide

I went back to irons
View Quote
Same here
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 2:22:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Check the battery connectors. These have a habit of bending in causing the battery to lose connection with the sight. If this is the issue, Battle Werx make a plate that sits between your slide and RMR to help this issue.

http://www.battlewerx.com/anti-flicker-sealing-plate-mos-mounting-kit-for-rmr-stainless/
View Quote
Other common 'fixes' to flickering RMRs... tiny loop of electrical tape to push battery up into the RMR.  Bending battery contact down from above battery ever so slightly.  Shimming battery contact on side using a tiny piece of rubber band.   I've also seen suggestions of using Sony brand batteries as they are more consistently sized than other makers.

I have three RMRs.  One had a flicker issue.  I shimmed the side contact on it and used a Sony battery... no more flicker.

I'm looking forward to seeing how much Trijicon improves the RMR design over coming years... I'm sold already even given the issues some RMRs have.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 7:11:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I went back to irons
View Quote
Yeah I don't think they are quite there yet.  A couple more years maybe.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 9:27:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Other common 'fixes' to flickering RMRs... tiny loop of electrical tape to push battery up into the RMR.  Bending battery contact down from above battery ever so slightly.  Shimming battery contact on side using a tiny piece of rubber band.   I've also seen suggestions of using Sony brand batteries as they are more consistently sized than other makers.

I have three RMRs.  One had a flicker issue.  I shimmed the side contact on it and used a Sony battery... no more flicker.

I'm looking forward to seeing how much Trijicon improves the RMR design over coming years... I'm sold already even given the issues some RMRs have.
View Quote
That's how I got it work in the first place before I killed it with 5 milliliters of water. I stored it in rice for the last two days with no effect. I'll let y'all know how it goes with Trijicon.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:49:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top