Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:43:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Two questions.

Why does the gun cost $1200?

Is it carried cocked and locked?
View Quote
The level of engineering has a lot to do with cost. Break this gun down and it looks unlike any pistol you have seen. The slide is the work of a mad genius. Looks very complicated to machine. Remeber what you see of the slide is a polymer cover. The actual slide is under the slide cover, and not visible.

It is carried cocked like a striker fired gun. The trigger is 4.5 lbs. The trigger is the safety. There is a safety if you choose to carry it that way. The gun will not fire if dropped with the safety off.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:43:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/433221/1495150499085-905487677-211179.JPG

Safety is over the trigger

It's a striker fired gun.

It is actually a lot of fun to shoot and I would love to put an rmr on one to hunt coyotes with
View Quote
IT IS NOT A STRIKER FIRED GUN! The hammer is concealed.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:45:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The level of engineering has a lot to do with cost. Break this gun down and it looks unlike any pistol you have seen. The slide is the work of a mad genius. Looks very complicated to machine. Remeber what you see of the slide is a polymer cover. The actual slide is under the slide cover, and not visible.

It is carried cocked like a striker fired gun. The trigger is 4.5 lbs. The trigger is the safety. There is a safety if you choose to carry it that way. The gun will not fire if dropped with the safety off.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:55:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Agreed. And what if the bad guy doesn't have a bb to start the bullet to yaw?

The actual wound track is mediocre at best.

Yes it can do that through armor but without armor you short changing yourself Imo.

Sure you have 20 rounds but most 9mm carry 15-18rds with proven performance.

Maybe after Olympus has fallen and the SS are actually involved in some more shootings it may prove itself.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct it is 16", not 19". You say it is "decent" performance? For a handgun round the performance is devastating. I have not seen any another pistol round that can duplicate this kind of performance. Except for some of the other boutique 5.7 rounds from other 5.7 specialty manufacturers.

Buffman, the guy who posted this video, has tested many of these different 5.7 rounds from a number of manufacturers. I suggest you look through his other videos to see how they perform.

Buffman YouTube Channel

When people actually educate themselves about the performance of 5.7 they begin to see the light. Most detractors have never done any research. I too was a detractor. Then I did my research. That's why it is my carry round. Not to mention the Secret Service did extensive testing of their own before they adopted the 5.7x28 round and the FN weapons for the round. If they decided it is good enough to protect the President, then it is good enough for me.

Some other manufacturers that make similarly performing 5.7 rounds:

Desert Ammo Supply
R&R Weapon Systems
While visually exciting to watch in slow motion, the temporary wound cavity looks like any other premium handgun round and the permanent wound cavity is smaller due to the caliber and lack of expansion. Most conventional hollow point handgun rounds are cutting a permanent track of .75" to 1". The 5.7 is a good choice if you have a high probability of encountering armor, but, if not, it's a mediocre handgun bullet.  
Agreed. And what if the bad guy doesn't have a bb to start the bullet to yaw?

The actual wound track is mediocre at best.

Yes it can do that through armor but without armor you short changing yourself Imo.

Sure you have 20 rounds but most 9mm carry 15-18rds with proven performance.

Maybe after Olympus has fallen and the SS are actually involved in some more shootings it may prove itself.
You are assuming the round performs like a typical service caliber hollowpoint round, and wounds the same way. IT DOES NOT. If you look at the injuries sustained at Ft Hood you will see what I am saying. When the 5.7 bullet encounters bone it is travelling so fast it shatters the bone, but it still has a great deal of velocity and continues in the body bouncing off bone and ripping tissue until it runs out of gas.

I read a great excerpt by a US Serviceman in Iraq of a shooting with a Five seveN pistol by a Belgian Officer. I just spent 15 mins trying to find the link. When I find it I will post it. Basically the Belgian officer fired one round of FN SS198 at an Iraqi at 50 yards. The pathology showed the bullet entered his chest and came to rest in his buttock. It did some serious damage along its path. Shattered bones, tore through an artery to his heart, deflected down to his buttock and did a great deal of damage along the way. One shot at 50 yards the guy dropped instantly and that was the end of the story.

There are great videos on YouTube that show what 5.7 rounds do to pork shoulders with the bones in.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:30:38 AM EDT
[#5]
32 people were killed at Virginia Tech in 2007 and the weapons used were a Glock 19 and a Walther P22. The most commonly used weapon in mass shootings is a 9mm. 
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 2:22:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'll be honest, I'm not really sure that's a good thing. (about it being really complicated)  IMHO.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 3:16:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'll be honest, I'm not really sure that's a good thing. (about it being really complicated)  IMHO.
View Quote
That's the beauty of it, it is not complicated. It is genius. If it was complicated, in my opinion, it would not be genius.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 4:52:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well I meant even the  test before the vest.  But I get your point.  And I haven't been arguing against it.  FWIW.  That's good shooting.  I sure as heck wouldn't want to be standing downrange from you.
View Quote
Thanks! Truth is it is easy to shoot this gun accurately.

I actually just got back from the range, slipped out for lunch. I ran 150 rounds of SS197 through my range Five seveN. Here are a few groups from today. I think the second group down was one of the larger groups of the day. 10 rounds 10 yards offhand.

Here is the link to the ongoing long term test of my range Five seveN in the FN section of this forum:
FN Five Seven Pistol - Long Term Use Range Gun - Updated Here
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 5:53:58 PM EDT
[#9]
They look like my 300 yard AR shooting groups.   JUST KIDDING!!!!!  It is strange to see such small holes from a duty type weapon.  LOL.  Good shooting again.  

I'm in the camp of not getting all crazy about exactly the performance of a round.  If it goes bang, hits the intended target, within reason it should do the job.  Although with a handgun you may need more than 1 or 2.  But not always........  And you have plenty of ammo on hand in that gun.  So...  I say if you like it, it's a winner.  

But I would probably carry a .380 and possibly even a .32.  And not feel like OH MY GOD I'M going straight H E double toothpicks.  I might be on the dumb side of the pendulum.  Because a lot of guys are like  a G19 or bust.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top