Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2017 4:25:49 PM EDT
Title says it all; which one and why?
Please explain why you would/did go with one over the other.
Any other options I should consider?

I'm looking for a pocket carry gun and think it's between the above two options.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 4:49:28 PM EDT
[#1]
IN for info too
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 4:58:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Bought an LCPII last month.
Was attracted by the ability for pocket carry during the summer months.
At first range trip, mag kept ejecting after nearly every shot, with resulting FTF.
Sent to Ruger.  They allegedly replaced the mag catch spring.
Still happens when I shoot my left hand.  Had to switch carry to off-hand right side.
Found youtube vids of right handed shooters with similar problems.  Attributed to release button getting activated by shooter during firing.
So now, I REALLY don't trust it.  If I cannot rely on it; I'm going to have to find something else.
Have no experience with the Bodyguard.  Perhaps some responses here will convince me to switch...
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 5:18:15 PM EDT
[#3]
The lcp ll has to many complaints imo it needs the bugs fixed

My sister has an original lcp it runs perfect but its a painful sob to shoot.

Go to the lgs with the clothes with the smallest pockets u have and see if an Lc9s will work
Thats what i pocket carry
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 5:24:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a Bodyguard for my wife, but the trigger was awful and the only pull reduction option was close to $100.  I got rid of it.  Also, the laser wouldn't hold zero.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 5:29:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Bought a Bodyguard in 380 on Saturday for the wife's new activewear carry piece. 

Immediately went to the range and put 200 rounds through it. She had difficulty with the trigger pull. I had trouble hitting paper at 15 feet. 

I cannot shoot the gun at all. Shots go everywhere except in the X. I think it is too small for me and I have trouble holding it properly. 

The gun functioned flawlessly. No FTE or FTF, etc. Ran FMJ and HP defensive ammo.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 5:48:53 PM EDT
[#6]
If the LCP2 is having a lot of problems then just buy an LCP. They are selling New for only $200, and have been out for several years with a proven track record. There are bad ones I'm sure, but the same can be said of any gun...(except Glock, don't ever tell people you got a bad Glock because they won't believe you). The Bodyguard has a pretty bad reputation itself.

I've got two LCP's and they haven't let me down yet. Just be aware that you most likely can't hold these little things like a proper pistol. I have to wrap my index finger all the way through the trigger guard and pull on the second knuckle. A tight grip is essential, even if you break all the rules of proper pistol shooting.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 6:11:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:07:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I find my pre-MIM barreled Bodyguard reliable and shootable, excepting the shitty laser, which I de-batteried and sealed shut, and the broken MIM firing pin issue resolved with an aftermarket tool steel pin from Galloway.  I've got 1200 rds through mine with no other issues besides a couple light primer strikes on S&B.  Runs like a top with Hornady Custom and American Gunner and Fiocchi XTP.  The trick to shooting it well is to seat it deeply in the hand like it will be after recoil so you're not needing to constantly adjust your grip between shots, then allow for the tiny grip by using tons of finger on the trigger.  I pull with my second pad and leave the tip of my finger floppy so it can hit my support hand without issue.  The trigger is long and cammy but smooth, and the sights fall back on target as you pass the weight hump.  Eight inch mag dumps at 10 yards are no problem with a little practice, and slow fire is as good as anything with a tiny radius if you prep the trigger.  I'd try to find a pre-MIM barrel used pistol and get any worn parts replaced by S&W then do the FP swap.  GTG after that.  Maybe file the mag button down a bit too, as it's a little tall and can pop in your pocket; well sprung though.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:18:25 AM EDT
[#9]
LCPII problems? - I must be lucky. I have 3 and not one problem with any of them. First one has over 550 rds thru it with prob over 100 HP rnds.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 3:42:56 PM EDT
[#10]
my lcp 2 functioned great as well. i put prob 250 rounds thru it. prob was, i could not hit broad side of barn with it? and was not really fun to shoot. the trigger is better in the lcp 2, my buddy has a lcp, i did not like the trigger. i sold it after 3 weeks. i would encourage find someone  who has a lcp 2 or rent. i wish i had done that.

i purchased a g42 for pocket carry to replace the lcp 2. just does fit in jeans pocket. shorts - no problem. i like the g42. ( if you like glocks). over 600 rounds no issues. loaded with lehigh def + rounds.

have not shot a bodyguard. i chose the g42 over it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:58:35 PM EDT
[#11]
The LCP is at best snappy with recoil, but after two tries Ruger did get it better. The LCP II is actually another gun completely - I get the impression few of the components are interchangeable, especially the trigger. Mags only half so.

The Bodyguard has been out quite a while, the laser versions keep improving the power but the trigger remains a 12 pound problem child. One trigger maker had an improved kit and completely sold out with a number of buyers still wanting one for theirs.

If it's a .380 to be had, there are others and it's not like the market is filled up yet. The SIB P238 and Kahr CW380 are at least their equals - just not as cheap. But it does go to you get what you pay for. The SA SIG has a very controllable trigger, and the Kahr has always had one of the best DA triggers on the market.

Might consider them instead - and you'd get some enthusiastic responses from owners. These two (or three) the track records not all that.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 10:29:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I guess I am one of those "lucky " LCPII owners as I've had zero issues with about 300 rounds through mine so far. The first range session I did inadvertently drop the mag while shooting, but haven't done it since. Finding LCPII mags has been a PITA, but I received an CDNN email sale flyer and they were listed. So I ordered two to go along with some other mags for other guns. I do have a 10 round Pro mag for the LCP and it has worked fine except it doesn't lock the slide back on empty. It's good enough for a cheap range mag.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 10:36:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I have the LCP Custom, which I think is a great pistol and has more positives than the LCP2,in my opinion. The wider trigger and real sights make it actually more than a point and shoot gun. I wish some manufacturers would make some nice dot sights for it. I can get good,aimed groups with it.

The Bodyguard I owned was a nice little pistol but the safety is about worthless in my opinion as it is too stiff/difficult to turn on/off. I understand the appeal of them but I wish more smaller pistols would come with real sights.

Although it costs more than both and a little larger, the Glock 42 is an amazing little gun. Very low recoil, functions like every other Glock and has more options available so you can tweak it the way that makes you happy.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 6:08:03 AM EDT
[#14]
I have both.

LCP II.   Good, mine is very reliable(only use FMJ),  nice trigger, I can do head shots from 50 feet.

Bad, hammer is at full cock, would prefer partially cocked. It must be completely protected for carry. No room for error. Pull the trigger when drawing (not heavy at all) it goes off.

Body guard Good.  Double action trigger, no chance of accidental discharge,  every shot is double action so the shot is the same.  Mine  breaks clean and I am able to get head shots at 50 feet also.
Mine is also very reliable with FMJ

Bad,  I have nothing other than it shoots slower than the LCPII
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 6:26:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have the LCP Custom, which I think is a great pistol and has more positives than the LCP2,in my opinion. The wider trigger and real sights make it actually more than a point and shoot gun. I wish some manufacturers would make some nice dot sights for it. I can get good,aimed groups with it.

The Bodyguard I owned was a nice little pistol but the safety is about worthless in my opinion as it is too stiff/difficult to turn on/off. I understand the appeal of them but I wish more smaller pistols would come with real sights.

Although it costs more than both and a little larger, the Glock 42 is an amazing little gun. Very low recoil, functions like every other Glock and has more options available so you can tweak it the way that makes you happy.
View Quote
Send the BG to S&W.  Mine also had an absurdly stiff safety.  When they replaced the firing pin in mine, it came back with a perfectly tuned safety.  I don't even think I mentioned it to them, so I guess it was a known issue they made a tweak for.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:01:09 AM EDT
[#16]
I picked up an LCP II the first week it was out and really enjoy the gun.  I have had no issues with FTF or FTE, nor the issue with the mag release that others seem to experience.  The gun is mall, but holds well and I find it surprisingly accurate for a "point and shoot" type gun.  I have probably put 250-300 rounds through it, mostly PPU FMJ and a couple boxes of HST.

The downer to the LCP II is that it only comes with one mag.  I know this is a huge turn off to some, and it was to me.  I bought a few ProMags cheap from the OG LCP and they work fine for range time.  I believe factory LCP II mags are more readily available now.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:37:01 PM EDT
[#17]
I picked the BG380 over the Ruger because I like S&W pistols better then Ruger pistols. No actual experience with the LCP. I've been extremely happy with it since I bought it around the time they first came out.. The only negative is that my BG hates Monarch steel cased ammo. Otherwise very reliable and shoots very well for such a small gun. Right now you can get BG380 at a pretty good deal with the rebates going on.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:42:27 PM EDT
[#18]
I have been looking for a small gun myself to carry at work (not allowed) and a couple months ago I got an LCP2. I thought "FINALLY this is the small gun I have been looking for"!. Well it wasn't, I had NUMEROUS issues with feeding even after a couple hundred rounds. I always begged for a better trigger then felt really uneasy carrying it in my pocket. Something about that hammer being cocked made me uneasy. I carry a striker fired gun all day everything but that LCP 2 made me uneasy and wasn't reliable anyways.

I actually stopped by a local shop today and they have the bodyguard on sale for $288 plus the $50 rebate so I bought one. I will report back after I shoot some rounds through it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 8:38:09 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a Bodyguard. There is a false reset in the trigger that I find catches me off guard a lot, and it irks me. I also find it a loss less comfortable to shoot than my Glock 42. Since it's not really worth selling, I'll just just hang on to it, but my Glock 42 is much preferred to it, although it is slightly bigger.

The LCP II sounded appealing to me in some ways, and not very appealing in others. The original was not pleasant to shoot at all, but the new one seems better in that regard. I like that the trigger is more like a striker fired trigger now, but dislike the lack of firing pin block. I also don't like that the sights are still part of the slide, but understand why they kept it that way. Only including one magazine with it seems dumb. I personally have decided not to buy an LCP II.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:06:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Ugh cleaned my new bodyguard today (shooting it tomorrow) and noticed the sights are not even close to being centered.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:39:46 PM EDT
[#21]
I've been looking for a pocket auto to carry as a part time replacement for my J frame.

I've handled LCP, bodyguards, and keltec. Not impressed by any of them. I've shot a DB9, hated the thing.  The Glock is too big for a pocket gun, IMO.

I've also handled Colt Mustangs and Sig P238/239. These seem to be of much higher quality, but I don't know anyone to let me shoot one and the indoor range had none to rent last I checked.

I just recently tried a Kimber Micro 380.  It is pleasant to shoot and easy to hit with for a pocket gun. It also has real sights and can be purchased with factory night sights.  When I fanny get around to buying one, it's between the Micro, P238/239, or Mustang. I know these are in a whole different price category than the bodyguard/LCP.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:53:22 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't have any experience with the LCP other then just holding one. to me the BG380 seemed better made. I really like my s&w BG380. It's been reliable, to me it shoots well for its size and with the Magguts magazine upgrade it becomes a 7+1 round gun without altering the size of the magazine which is awesome round capacity for its size.

Edit:

I just bought a new Glock .43 which is the new tiny 9mm. My CYA holster came in for it today and....... I wore it everywhere and it's quickly becoming my new best friend. I won't get rid of my Bodyguard because it excels in certain areas. But this Glock 43 is a dang nice gun to carry and shoot. Im already researching ankleholsters for it to make it my BUG at work.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 4:02:40 PM EDT
[#23]
I have two LCP's. Not the original, and not the LCP II, but the LCP "v2" (they never gave it another name) with the raised sights and improved trigger. They still make and sell them and they only cost $199 new. It fills a niche. I can put it in my pocket and take it virtually anywhere, and I don't even need a belt.

I do not believe the Bodyguard is nearly as small and light as the LCP. I'd rather buy a Shield 9mm than a Bodyguard .380 because I think they fill about the same niche, and the Shield is clearly superior.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 10:49:48 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm in the same boat as the OP...was leaning heavily towards the LCP2 but have cold feet after reading this thread. 

One gun I haven't heard mentioned: Beretta Pico.  Besides the silly name and being a little fugly, it's thin, light, has great sights, etc.. Is there something wrong with this gun I'm not seeing? It doesn't appear to be that popular. 
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 3:21:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm in the same boat as the OP...was leaning heavily towards the LCP2 but have cold feet after reading this thread. 

One gun I haven't heard mentioned: Beretta Pico.  Besides the silly name and being a littlei  fugly, it's thin, light, has great sights, etc.. Is there something wrong with this gun I'm not seeing? It doesn't appear to be that popular. 
View Quote
I have a friend with one, and early on he said it shot easier than it looked and had been reliable so far with a few magazines for what that's worth. But it's not a natural feeling gun in the hand as the grip is super small, the sights are decorative, and the mag release is a retarded two handed affair.  It's more of a bad breath distance gun than the others.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top