Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2017 8:25:25 PM EDT
I've always had a passion for small, semi auto pocket pistols and vest pocket guns and I recently picked up two, an old one that I had owned one of many years ago and foolishly sold to my Brother, and a new one that I was pretty stoked about. 

The old one is an AMT 380 Backup.  This is the single action model with a thumb safety, grip safety and a heel mag release. It has a fully enclosed hammer. There's also a DAO version as well. It has a 5 round magazine. It has no sights other than a groove down the top. I've never had any luck with anything other than FMJ in these pistols.  It's a full blowback design, with the barrel welded to the frame. I picked this up at a local gun show, with the holster, for a price that I thought was about half what it's worth. But you know what they say, "One man's poison is another man's meat".  

Note the old Texas Shoemaker holster...it's a snug fit, the only way to draw it was to either pull the gun and holster together and strip the holster off once it's out (maybe firing the first round while it's still holstered) or by putting your finger on the trigger and pulling, either trusting the double safeties or keeping the chamber empty. 

The new one is a second generation Beretta Pico. It's the thinnest 380 pocket pistol I've ever seen. It's a hammer fired DAO with a 6 round mag. It's made in America. It's got nice sights on it and it's easy to put lead on target at 10 yards with it. It's got a paddle mag release and no other controls but a flush slide release...and I mean flush, it doesn't protrude at all. It's reliable with FMJ and two types of self defense hollowpoints I've tried in it.  This one made a trip back to the factory because it didn't work properly right out of the box, but Beretta got it fixed up fast.

If you like pocket pistols too, show me what you've got!

Link Posted: 4/22/2017 8:50:26 PM EDT
[#1]
AMT looks good for its age.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 5:48:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I mostly carry the G43 (8+1), but the second most carried gun is a pocket 380 (a G19 only gets carried when I'm going into a bad area at night).
I've owned:  2 P3ATs, 2 PF9s, Pico, 2 LCPs, LCP Custom, Kahr P9, PM 9, CW9, CW380, 2 G42s, and perhaps others I'm forgetting.

My favorite so far, by far, is the Remington RM380.  For sights, the G42 blows it away (I like the Kahr and Pico sights too), but for what is likely use it for, it's great.  Shoots softer than any except the G42. Seems to be the most reliable I've ever owned (when using a ton of different rounds--even weird ones like LeHigh).

I do wish the sights were a hair taller, the trigger a bit lighter (it lightens up a good bit), and with a shorter pull (Galloway Precision is working on a new trigger).
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 12:12:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I have two similar holsters for a High Standard D-100 and a Beretta 950...and a letter from the BATF that the "installed combination of gun and holster constitutes an "AOW".  YMMV.

Paladin
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 2:11:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have two similar holsters for a High Standard D-100 and a Beretta 950...and a letter from the BATF that the "installed combination of gun and holster constitutes an "AOW".  YMMV.

Paladin
View Quote
Because the trigger is uncovered?

I suppose if a person were foolish enough to carry it with a round in the chamber it would be possible to fire the chambered round, but the pistol couldn't cycle.

How may I ask did you come by your letter?

And while I think it's a little silly, I'll remove the photo. No one is interested in the thread anyway. 
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:19:08 AM EDT
[#5]
if you are looking for a pocket holster that hides the profile (I carry in nylon fishing cargo shorts) you might look at the Recluse line... the slit down the spine allows relative good access to the grip while the holster is still in the pocket...this particular model has the "foot" designed for cargo pockets

Link Posted: 4/24/2017 12:28:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I guess I am old I don't figure a gun made in the 80's or 70's counts as old. Now a baby browning or Colt 1908 made prior to World War One yes. I have shot and carried plenty of old guns and they always ran well. My current micro carry is a beretta 25 ( New as it is only 25 or so years old) that is immensely reliable and far more accurate than it should be for such a small gun. Playing card size groups at ten yards and closer and can hold 6 inches or so at 25 yards
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 2:19:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't have a pic but the smallest gun that I actually carry is a P32 with a Crimson Trace laser. My "Opera Gun."

I have some .25's that are smaller.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top