Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2017 3:23:24 AM EDT
Looking for another pistol. I haven't been following up on the latest and greatest over the past few years. I went through Sig P226s, 1911s and now only have glocks.

I hear a lot of good things about the new sigs and FN.
The things I like about the Glocks are reliability, grip angle, flat grips (not rounded), easy to take completely apart and work on, low profile slide, many aftermarket parts.
Thing I don't like about Glock is the trigger

What I'm looking for is
9mm
15+ rounds

I do not want
1911s
anything with DAO or DA/SA

Money isn't much of a concern when it comes to my EDC.
What's out there that I should consider that will do better than a Glock17 for my EDC?
FN HK Sig?

EDIT/UPDATE
So, I did more research and it's down to the VP9 and PPQ
I'm leaning toward the PPQ because it seems to have a shorter trigger reset and the slide release isn't accidentally depressed causing the slide to stay open on the last round. I have seen a few different reviews that this has happened. PPQ is a little bit cheaper. PPQ sights are not as good but I'll probably replace them anyway.
PPQ also has the ambi index finger mag release like the VP9 or on sided push button mag release with the second version.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 6:12:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Looking for another pistol. I haven't been following up on the latest and greatest over the past few years. I went through Sig P226s, 1911s and now only have glocks.

I hear a lot of good things about the new sigs and FN.
The things I like about the Glocks are reliability, grip angle, flat grips (not rounded), easy to take completely apart and work on, low profile slide, many aftermarket parts.
Thing I don't like about Glock is the trigger

What I'm looking for is
9mm
15+ rounds
under 5 lb trigger pull

I do not want
1911s
anything with DAO or DA/SA
anything with an M&P grip angle

Money isn't much of a concern when it comes to my EDC.
What's out there that I should consider that will do better than a Glock17 for my EDC?
FN HK Sig?
View Quote

I doubt you'll find a any plastic guns with under a 5lb trigger stock and eliminating the M&P grip angle eliminates a bunch of stuff.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 6:37:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I doubt you'll find a any plastic guns with under a 5lb trigger stock and eliminating the M&P grip angle eliminates a bunch of stuff.
View Quote
PPQ maybe?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 6:58:50 AM EDT
[#3]
If you like the Glock 17 why not just a aftermarket trigger put in? seems like that is a better solution.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 7:41:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If you like the Glock 17 why not just a aftermarket trigger put in? seems like that is a better solution.
View Quote
I have a 3.5 lb trigger in my glock
Standard is about 5.5. So, I don't mind a 5.5 trigger as long as I could always lower.

I guess it would be best to just stay with glock.
I have been hearing about FN and HK and Sigs recent pistols being great. So, I was willing to try a few out. But, I guess it is hard to beat a Glock. Or, get the advantages that Glock offers.

Grip angle on the S&W makes the barrel point up when I hold it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:29:28 AM EDT
[#5]
VP9?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:31:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Glock triggers are garbage, and I'm not a huge fan of the mags either.

I went with a P320, it's by my estimation the best factory striker trigger out there. No blade or hinge, just a sig-style trigger, a little bit of takeup, a decent break and a solid reset. Then the modularity and crazy aftermarket potential is a big plus in my book, and with the upcoming M17 thing... It's a solid choice if you ask me. 

But I've kind of found that if you like glocks (and I hate 'em) then you...like glocks. You're gonna buy something and go "Well this doesn't do anything my 17 doesn't do and I can get used to the trigger" and that's what you'll do. 
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:41:17 AM EDT
[#7]
i have an Fn 5.7 and i must say its a great piece.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:40:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not really an answer to your question but to solve this aim with your thumbs when you present the gun onto target, assuming you're using a thumbs forwards grip.....sounds weird but try it.  Doesn't matter what you pick up.  If you do that you'll always be on target no matter what gun it is you pick up....except revolvers....you'll probably nip/blow off the tip of your finger on the cylinder gap .  This doesn't mean it'll be comfortable, but your front sight will always line up.  If this doesn't make sense I can start another thread with pics and send you a link to explain it a little better.

That was one of my weird "range time epiphanies" I had about 10 years ago when I would bring at least 10 or more guns to the range and would shoot for half a day at a minimum.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:42:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
VP9?
View Quote
this^
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:58:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Glock triggers are garbage, and I'm not a huge fan of the mags either.

I went with a P320, it's by my estimation the best factory striker trigger out there. No blade or hinge, just a sig-style trigger, a little bit of takeup, a decent break and a solid reset. Then the modularity and crazy aftermarket potential is a big plus in my book, and with the upcoming M17 thing... It's a solid choice if you ask me. 

But I've kind of found that if you like glocks (and I hate 'em) then you...like glocks. You're gonna buy something and go "Well this doesn't do anything my 17 doesn't do and I can get used to the trigger" and that's what you'll do. 
View Quote
I have 3 glock 17s and a 19. Looking to try other weapons.  You never know.  I hated glocks until I tried one. Was always a Sig 226 fan and was my first weapon. Had 3 and sold them all after shooting glocks. Tried the first polymer sig and hated it.  I like glocks for the above reasons posted.  So I'm trying to get input on other newer quality pistols to try.

I know what I don't like. so I try to avoid those things. I absolutely hate DAO or DA/SA weapons.  I don't like locked and cocked weapons bec I don't want a safety to think about when I draw.  So make recommendations and with research I'll buy one or 2
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:00:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Not really an answer to your question but to solve this aim with your thumbs when you present the gun onto target, assuming you're using a thumbs forwards grip.....sounds weird but try it.  Doesn't matter what you pick up.  If you do that you'll always be on target no matter what gun it is you pick up....except revolvers....you'll probably nip/blow off the tip of your finger on the cylinder gap .  This doesn't mean it'll be comfortable, but your front sight will always line up.  If this doesn't make sense I can start another thread with pics and send you a link to explain it a little better.

That was one of my weird "range time epiphanies" I had about 10 years ago when I would bring at least 10 or more guns to the range and would shoot for half a day at a minimum.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only way I shoot is w both thumbs forward
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:31:02 PM EDT
[#12]
what about the FN 509?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:39:45 PM EDT
[#13]
The crunchy mushy striker fired trigger systems pioneered by glock and now the standard for most pistols in the striker fired market with some a bit better than others but essentially nothing like the traditional single actions. A tuned browning high power ( single action only) may be your ticket.
Honestly current production striker fired guns and decent triggers are sort of mutually exclusive terms.
I do not see the point in swimming upstream  and buying a 450-600 pistol just to drop another 200 on trial and erroR aftermarket parts to make it. "Better" just get a pistol with a better trigger to begin with.
There are some that will claim they bought a glock dropped 300 bucks in aftermarket parts in and have a great trigger and maybe so, but I am not the tinker type personally.
I agree with my dear departed dad - guns are like golf clubs you need a pile of them for different purposes.
While some may disagree , I have multiple platforms for different purposes. I like revolvers and have some I carry use in icore use in bullseye competition but this means about 6 different guns. In uspsa and steel challenge and gssf differ the pistols yet and my nightstand gun is also different. Maybe I am lucky but I switch gears between platforms without skipping a beat. After going from my glock or revolver back to a 1911 I have never failed to take a safety off or have problems manipulating.
The big lie is that no one gun fits all or does all. Any effort to find this elusive creature is doomed to fail. There will always be a role for which the do all gun comes up short
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:16:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The crunchy mushy striker fired trigger systems pioneered by glock and now the standard for most pistols in the striker fired market with some a bit better than others but essentially nothing like the traditional single actions. A tuned browning high power ( single action only) may be your ticket.
Honestly current production striker fired guns and decent triggers are sort of mutually exclusive terms.
I do not see the point in swimming upstream  and buying a 450-600 pistol just to drop another 200 on trial and erroR aftermarket parts to make it. "Better" just get a pistol with a better trigger to begin with.
There are some that will claim they bought a glock dropped 300 bucks in aftermarket parts in and have a great trigger and maybe so, but I am not the tinker type personally.
I agree with my dear departed dad - guns are like golf clubs you need a pile of them for different purposes.
While some may disagree , I have multiple platforms for different purposes. I like revolvers and have some I carry use in icore use in bullseye competition but this means about 6 different guns. In uspsa and steel challenge and gssf differ the pistols yet and my nightstand gun is also different. Maybe I am lucky but I switch gears between platforms without skipping a beat. After going from my glock or revolver back to a 1911 I have never failed to take a safety off or have problems manipulating.
The big lie is that no one gun fits all or does all. Any effort to find this elusive creature is doomed to fail. There will always be a role for which the do all gun comes up short
View Quote
I understand what you're saying. I want mine for carry and 3 gun mostly. I like to train and carry one type of weapon for muscle memory. I think switching weapons especially ones that have safeties can be dangerous. I want simple and less to think about in stressed or fatigued scenarios. The only reason why I was considering another EDC weapon was to see if there was one that was better for me. Then I would switch to training with that weapon 90+% of the time.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:25:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I have 3 glock 17s and a 19. Looking to try other weapons.  You never know.  I hated glocks until I tried one. Was always a Sig 226 fan and was my first weapon. Had 3 and sold them all after shooting glocks. Tried the first polymer sig and hated it.  I like glocks for the above reasons posted.  So I'm trying to get input on other newer quality pistols to try.

I know what I don't like. so I try to avoid those things. I absolutely hate DAO or DA/SA weapons.  I don't like locked and cocked weapons bec I don't want a safety to think about when I draw.  So make recommendations and with research I'll buy one or 2
View Quote
The P2022 was definitely a totally different gun, and while I didn't hate it I get why it never took off. The P250 wasn't great either. I am not hating, I just have found, in my experience, that glock fans tend to be, well, glock fans. Not a bad thing really, it's just what I've found. I've told people time and time again "I dont' shoot glocks well, I hate everything about them" and yet every time I go pistol shopping it's "Get that Perfection!"

Anyhoo. I'd definitely consider some trigger time on a VP9 and a P320. They're both excellent striker guns, though I think the VP9 is more comfortable while the P320 has a way better trigger. 
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:05:53 PM EDT
[#16]
I thought the 320 compact was a clunker.....Its fat and tall with a short sight radius compared to even a glock 19. My pinky hangs off the bottom of the sig, which doesnt happen on a 19. Mags are expensive and hard to find. Grip modules are hard to find. The modularity of the sig is moot because the conversion kits cost as much as a new gun does. The grip modules felt flimsy and cheap to me also. It does have a nice trigger though.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:25:31 PM EDT
[#17]
PPQ
Canik TP9 and all its sundry variations
HK VP9

The P320 comes close but I'm not sure the trigger is quite where you'd like it to be.

Or hold out for the CZ P10C.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 6:29:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Sounds like you should just stick with Glock.

You like them, they are familiar,  and can be tweeked to your heart's content.

I don't think there is anything out right now that will considerably outperform Glock.

Get a 17 and pimp it your way!

ETA: or get another, since sounds like you may already have one. Or a 34. Or a 43. Or a 17L. Or all of them.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 6:33:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Sounds like you need an overwatch trigger for your Glocks.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 7:52:46 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm not sure how a Glock works for you but an M&P points up. The reverse should be true, and most pistols are about where the M&P is, outside of the Glock and 1911.

So if you want the Glock angle, you have Glock and Steyr.  You know what the Glock is. The Steyr is nicer, but doesn't have anywhere near the support as Glock. I think they make coffee maker accessories for Glocks. The Steyr has a better trigger, though the reset is almost imperceptible. The sights are different. Whether good different or bad different will be subjective.

Ultimately, you're probably best served (based on the criteria you listed) is to get a Glock and do trigger mods.

If you have an open mind, go rent all the striker offerings and see which you actually shoot the best. I found I was best with the P320 and FNS. I shot the VP9 and XD(M) very well during slow fire, but not as well at speed. The trigger I liked the best (PPQ) I shot worst slow fire, but better than others rapid. I'm looking forward to trying the M&P 2.0, APX, 509, and P-10.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 5:43:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
PPQ
Canik TP9 and all its sundry variations
HK VP9

The P320 comes close but I'm not sure the trigger is quite where you'd like it to be.

Or hold out for the CZ P10C.
View Quote
I keep coming to the conclusion that Glock have a lot to offer compared to the others.

CZ P10C...sounds interesting

I guess I just have to find one and try it out. HK seems interesting too. I suspect that they will not be as good. Bit, you never know. I didn't like glocks at first either.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 5:46:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'm not sure how a Glock works for you but an M&P points up. The reverse should be true, and most pistols are about where the M&P is, outside of the Glock and 1911.

So if you want the Glock angle, you have Glock and Steyr.  You know what the Glock is. The Steyr is nicer, but doesn't have anywhere near the support as Glock. I think they make coffee maker accessories for Glocks. The Steyr has a better trigger, though the reset is almost imperceptible. The sights are different. Whether good different or bad different will be subjective.

Ultimately, you're probably best served (based on the criteria you listed) is to get a Glock and do trigger mods.

If you have an open mind, go rent all the striker offerings and see which you actually shoot the best. I found I was best with the P320 and FNS. I shot the VP9 and XD(M) very well during slow fire, but not as well at speed. The trigger I liked the best (PPQ) I shot worst slow fire, but better than others rapid. I'm looking forward to trying the M&P 2.0, APX, 509, and P-10.
View Quote
I may just have to shoot then and see how I like them.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:07:44 AM EDT
[#23]
You like everything about Glock but the trigger? Put an aftermarket Apex, Pyramid, or Zev trigger on the gun and don't look back. 

There aren't many guns trying to copy the grip angle and flat sides of the Glock. In a small pistol the PPS is kind of similar, not sure if the PPQ really feels the same though. VP9 is definitely more M&P like.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 6:59:02 AM EDT
[#24]
EDIT/UPDATE
So, I did more research and it's down to the VP9 and PPQ
I'm leaning toward the PPQ because it seems to have a shorter trigger reset and the slide release isn't accidentally depressed causing the slide to stay open on the last round. I have seen a few different reviews that this has happened. PPQ is a little bit cheaper. PPQ sights are not as good but I'll probably replace them anyway.
PPQ also has the ambi index finger mag release like the VP9 or on sided push button mag release with the second version.

this is actually the advise I was looking for
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzSnELsnw20
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 7:48:42 AM EDT
[#25]
[b]
I'm leaning toward the PPQ
View Quote
If you get the PPQ, get the $100 rebate

link
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 8:23:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If you get the PPQ, get the $100 rebate

link
View Quote
Hey...thanks!!!

Do they have it all the time?  I wont be back from A stan for another few weeks
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 9:12:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Hey...thanks!!!

Do they have it all the time?  I wont be back from A stan for another few weeks
View Quote
I think they are doing this promotion to keep in line with the S&W rebates going on. I have not seen any previous Walther rebates, but then I have not really been paying attention. The only reason I know about this Walther rebate is because my local dealer brought it to my attention when I asked to see the PPQ in his case. This Walther rebate is valid for purchases until 9/15/17, and it must be postmarked by 10/15/17.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 10:40:47 AM EDT
[#28]
OP, I'm in the same boat as you are.  I love my Glocks, but I'd really like something I can shoot more accurately.  I'm not sure what the solution is, but I'd really like to try out a Hi power, as they come very highly recommended.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 11:00:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
OP, I'm in the same boat as you are.  I love my Glocks, but I'd really like something I can shoot more accurately.  I'm not sure what the solution is, but I'd really like to try out a Hi power, as they come very highly recommended.
View Quote
Beretta 92. If you can find an M9A1 Compact it makes a great carry gun. About the same size as the Glock 19, very accurate, excellent trigger and very reliable.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 7:29:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Not a huge fan of the M9.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 7:35:48 PM EDT
[#31]
I didn't like them when I was in the Marine Corps.   Since I have been out, and can carry the M9 the way that I want to, I have found quite a bit to like about them.  

2Hut8
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 8:30:24 PM EDT
[#32]
I carry the M9 every day here. And shot over 1k rounds through it in the past 2 months. Hate it.

High bore axis
horrible mag release
heavy
DA/SA
safety sucks and goes on safe when racking the action after a reload from time to time
long trigger reset

Thank God the Army is getting rid of them.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 9:43:25 PM EDT
[#33]
My Son picked up a Sig P320 Carry model in 9mm.   Maybe you should try that when you get back.  

2Hut8
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 1:08:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
My Son picked up a Sig P320 Carry model in 9mm.   Maybe you should try that when you get back.  

2Hut8
View Quote
Army is going to the P320s

here is a good review of the P320 PPQ and VP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzSnELsnw20
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 11:55:11 AM EDT
[#35]
The Walther Q5 Match seems to be a good gun.  

Lots of guys have started using them in the gun games.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top