Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2017 1:27:46 AM EDT
Here is my "issue"

My main edc as of right now is a Sig P238 (.380) and I LOVE the way it shoots. No on who hasn't shit one believes me until they shoot it but it's just as comfortable as my full size M&P imo.

There is no snap normally associated with other smaller guns. I've had an LCP and Bodyguard and they both feel like shit compared to my Sig.

Problem is practicality. Instead of just packing a gun and thinking I'm Rambo I actually started training and doing dry fire exercises which quickly showed me a serious issue with my carry firearm of choice.

The damn safety. There are two reasons I'm concerned. One is the main issue. It's something I have to defeat in order to shoot and it's something that routinely gets F'ed up while under pressure. Training helps but it's always there to contend with.

To make matters worse I have long hands. Very long. I'm 6'9". So my problem is my thumb. As I pull the gun from the holster I really have to work to get my thumb back far enough to disengage the safety.

I miss it enough for it to concern me. Even practicing, while I'm much better, it still happens.

So I'm thinking of ditching it.

I've read the 42 is a very smooth shooter. And obviously I like the size.

Can those of you who own one comment?  Even better those if you who own the 42 and the P238 can you comment?

Or should I graduate up to the 9mm, sell the P238 and all if my ammo and just call it a day?

I really like the smaller size of the 380's though.

Or should I be looking at something else?  I'm not married to anything. As long as I can iwb appendix I'll consider it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 3:28:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I bought the G42 when it first came out and I really like the gun. Accurate, reliable and easy to shoot. In fact it is probably the easiest .380 I have ever shot. That being said with the Glock 43 in existence IMO there really isn't a reason to own the G42. The size difference between the two is negligble. The G43 can easily be pocket or ankle carried, plus you get a better performing SD round with the 9mm. There are a lot of sight options for the 43 as well as laser/light options like the TLR6 that still keep the gun small yet give you a powerful advantage in low light. There are a number of companies that make mag extensions for the 43 so you can carry a larger mag as a spare and cut down on bulk. I really think you should seriously take a close look at the 43.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 8:13:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I daily pocket carry a G42 in a Recluse cargo pocket holster... I have an LCP, P3AT, and owned a Colt Mustang Pocket lite (similar to your Sig)... I did not like the way the Mustang dropped the hammer to engage the sear when the safety was removed, and carried it without one in the chamber...

I shoot USPSA and changed from a 1911 platform to Glock around 2006 for my competition pistols when my Para broke a link at Ft Benning, so it made sense to switch to a Glock to carry...I have a low perception of threat, so pocket carry is not objectionable to me... the G42 is very easy to shoot... I can shoot it much more accurately and quicker than the smaller .380s.... I typically have to change Glock sights on my competition pistols, but did not see the need for the G42
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 8:18:22 AM EDT
[#3]
i walk around with a 938 cocked and locked i can have it out shooting as fast as a glock.and this little gun is accurate mine has a 4# trigger and my safety is smooth.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 8:51:36 AM EDT
[#4]
For your size I think the 42 may be to small for you.  I have large hands myself and the 43 is hard for me to grip I can do it but I have to be consistent every single time when I grab it.  My trigger finger locks in on the second pad of my finger, my primary hand I can get a 360 degree coverage of the grip with my thumb down, and I have to be very careful with my thumb placement otherwise it rides the slide stop.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:00:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i walk around with a 938 cocked and locked i can have it out shooting as fast as a glock.and this little gun is accurate mine has a 4# trigger and my safety is smooth.
View Quote
No doubt the safety is smooth and I live the gun but it's just my long thumbs.

You guys have me thinking g43 now. I just hope it shoots as smooth as my Sig or close.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:34:28 AM EDT
[#6]
The 42 is the softest recoiling and most accurate little pocket gun I have ever shot and or handled.

I chose the 43 because I didn't want to add another caliber.  

They are both great guns.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:35:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You guys have me thinking g43 now. I just hope it shoots as smooth as my Sig or close.
View Quote
Why restrict yourself to just the G43?

A lot of great options exist in that pistol size class.  Walther PPS, SA XDs, M&P Shield just to name a few.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:52:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 2:52:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I have fairly large hands and my pocket carry option is a Keltec P3AT (dead reliable gun, but painful to shoot a lot).

I've shot a few G42's, but don't own one yet. Great little pistol, IMO. Softest shooting polymer .380 I've shot.

hickok 45 did not seem to have any issues working steel with his gargantuan hands trying a G42. I seem to recall his favorite IWB is a stumpy little G27.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 8:25:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Why restrict yourself to just the G43?

A lot of great options exist in that pistol size class.  Walther PPS, SA XDs, M&P Shield just to name a few.
View Quote
Im not married to the idea. I will. Heck those out.

To those who suggest the 43 and 42 will be too small, they are bigger than my Sig.

While it's a tad weird I can grip tiny guns without issue. It's just this gun and it's damn safety.

The reason I want small is I know myself. If the gun is too big I won't carry it. I can only go by pics but it seems like the43 is the biggest I'd be willing to go given how big it looks compared to my Sig.

That's subject to change if I get my hands on some options and I like them.

Thanks for the tips guys. Looks like I'm off to find a gun counter with lots of options to try.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 9:50:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I have shot both the Sig and G42 and impressed with both.
Don't get me started on the LCP POS.
Personally, if you like the G42, why not go for the G43 instead.
I have yet to compare the G42 and 43, but hoping to get to try it one weekend as the local range rents them.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 4:03:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have shot both the Sig and G42 and impressed with both.
Don't get me started on the LCP POS.
Personally, if you like the G42, why not go for the G43 instead.
I have yet to compare the G42 and 43, but hoping to get to try it one weekend as the local range rents them.
View Quote
I'm not opposed to checking it out. I just want it to shoot as smooth and as soft as it's 380 counterparts.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 4:23:34 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a 42 and a 43.

I like the 42 better.  It works as a pocket gun.  The 43 is just a tad bit too big as a pocket gun.

If I have to wear it on a belt, I might as well use the 19.

However,  you are 6' 9".  The 43 might work in your pocket because you probably have deeper pockets.

For me, the 42 is just a nice shooting little gun for its intended purpose.

Link Posted: 4/13/2017 5:35:17 PM EDT
[#14]
If you go with the 9, consider the Shield 9.  

Incredible sales going on now with $75 mfr rebate.  

A steal IMHO.  

Though it might be too late to find one.  

I wish I would've waited a month before I bought mine.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 11:31:15 PM EDT
[#15]
IMO you will like the G42 better than the G43 based on your criteria.

The G43 can be a handful with stout SD ammo. Its not unmanageable but you know you fired a stout round out of a small gun.
The G42 shoots softer and although the size is similar its not the same, and you feel the difference while carrying both in size and weight.

I believe the G43 is the lightest pistol in its category. I wouldn't want to go any heavier for something I carry everyday.

I dont consider the G43 a pocket gun. The G42 is a pocket gun but just barely IMO.

Rent both and see what works best for you.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 1:07:59 AM EDT
[#16]
The G42 is a soft shooter but a bit bigger than most of the 380s--still possibly pocketable for many guys I think, though it may be slower to draw than smaller guns. I wore mine IWB and it's definitely smaller and lighter than the 43.

I PERSONALLY think the most under-appreciated 380 is the Remington RM380.  It's a hair bigger than the LCP, but the all aluminum frame gives it enough weight to shoot as soft as the G42. It's not as accurate due to small sights and a looong trigger (that is also heavy--though mine lightened up fast).  But I prefer the size in my go anywhere/super-small-"push-gun-in-their-nose-and-fire" gun.

I've owned almost every 380 at least once (and many 2-3 times), and almost all the small 9s as well.
These days I carry the 19 or 320SC for big, the G43 (8+1) for medium, and the RM380 for small.  
The 42 just didn't get carried once I had the 43 and the RM380 even though it's kind of in-between.

If I wanted a soft shooting 380 that I could shoot at 25Y, I'd choose the G42.
If I wanted the most concealable soft shooting 380, that I can shoot okay to 15Y, I'd choose the RM380.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 1:14:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I want a 42, but waited and bought a 43.  It's my go everywhere gun.   
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:44:57 PM EDT
[#18]
I own a G42 and have shot and handled a P238. In fact, I got some pics of the size difference between the G42 and P238. Some have an LCP thrown in because I was comparing it, too, so just disregard the LCP in those pics.

I absolutely LOVE my G42. Although it is a little larger than the LCP and P238, it shoots like a dream. Recoil with FMJ practice ammo is practically non-existent. It recoils about like my Ruger MKII .22 pistol. With good JHP ammo, recoils is just a touch more, but not much at all. When I first got it, I had my wife and daughters out at the range with me. I handed my 12 YOA daughter (who is very small for her size, about the size of an 8 or 9 year old) the G42 and she loved it, too. She was kinda mad that I wouldn't let her have it. Recoil for me was very similar to the P238 I shot.

I honestly couldn't believe how accurate the G42 is for how small it is. The real sights, compared to the pretty much useless nubs on the LCP it replaced, really help with accuracy. Again IIRC, I found the P238 a little more accurate than my G42, but not by much.

I am 6'2" and have pretty large hands (just shy of being able to palm a basketball) and the G42 fits me very well. Try handling one before you buy, but I don't think you will have trouble with it. As stated above, if Hickok45 can shoot it well, you should be able, too.

Although the G42 is a little bigger than the others, I am able to pocket carry it. I know you were looking for AIWB, but it should give you an idea of the size. The G42 is at the upper edge of being able to pocket carry, but it is doable if you want.

Now for some pics.

The G42 with the P238. I lined up the rear of the guns as well as I could. Don't mind the stupid "diamond plate" finish on the P238. Not my gun.

The front ends of the G42, P238 and LCP (I told you there were some with the LCP, just disregard it). The LCP is the shortest with the P238 just a touch longer, then the G42. The barrel and slide on the G42 are about 1/2" longer.

The LCP, P238 and G42 lined up with the tops of the slides on an ammo box and not resting on the sights. Myself, because of the absolutely tiny sights on the LCP, I think that sitting them on the sights doesn't present an accurate representation of the overall size. As you can see, the G42 is a little taller than the P238, about the width of the mag baseplate.

A shot from the rear with the guns resting on the tops of the slides.

As for weight, IIRC, the G42 is a little lighter than the P238. Not much, but a little.

Myself, I tried out a G43 when they first came out because I was thinking about going with it instead of the G42. Like I said, I pocket carry the G42. The G43 was just enough bigger than the G42 that I couldn't draw it well from the pocket. Also, although it is just the way the gun fit me, the G43 recoiled directly into the thumb knuckle in the web of my hand. It physically hurt for me to shoot it. If it had been small enough to pocket carry, I would have sucked it up and carried it anyway because 9mm trumps .380, but it didn't. If I have to belt carry, I already own a 9mm Shield that I love, so for me, the G43 was out. Moral is to always try (if you can) before you buy.

Hope that helps with your decision. Good luck.

Bub75
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 9:42:13 PM EDT
[#19]
When looking for a pocket pistol I tried out several different guns including the sig, g42 and g43.  I didn't like the super small ones like the keltec and ruger, snappiness combined with tiny size i had to keep readjusting my grip while shooting and they all had shit sights. G43 wasn't bad but snappy, G42 and Sig were both a pleasure to shoot little recoil could quickly and accurately do multiple follow up shots, I would of been happy with either gun ended up with the glock cause it was $100+ cheaper and cheaper mags. Put lighter connector in the glock and polished up some of the trigger parts and its absolute pleasure to shoot, might throw some fiber optic night sights on it and that would complete it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:40:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have a 42 and a 43.

I like the 42 better.  It works as a pocket gun.  The 43 is just a tad bit too big as a pocket gun.

If I have to wear it on a belt, I might as well use the 19.

However,  you are 6' 9".  The 43 might work in your pocket because you probably have deeper pockets.

For me, the 42 is just a nice shooting little gun for its intended purpose.

View Quote
I have a 42 and a 43. The 42 fits in my pocket a lot better. I actually like the 42 better than the 43, and if financial conditions forced me to sell one it'd be the 43. Just my 2 cents.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top