Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2017 2:20:19 PM EDT
Colt Delta.  I can get one new for just under 1k.

Iver Johnson XL, longslide.  Under $700

Rock Island. Under $600

Possibly a Tanfoglio, I do like CZ75's.  So I could do it also

This is the one I got.

Colt Delta Elite Government

I like the price of the Rock Island

I like the Colt just for the name and resale value compared to the others.  Smoky Mountain has them for $944 delivered

The Tanfoglio isn't a 1911 buy l have a lot of CZ75'S already.

I want something reliable and durable.  Just wondered if the brands less than the Colt would fit what I was looking for.

If I can save a few bucks and still get a good gun I would prefer that.  

I also wouldn't be putting thousands of rounds through.  It probably would have less than 3k rounds through it in its life.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 2:35:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Delta Elite Rail Gun...it's all I can do to stop myself.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 2:42:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Remington has a long slide version of there R1 in 10mm Auto.

https://www.remington.com/handguns/model-1911-r1/1911-r1-10mm-hunter
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 2:45:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Remington has a long slide version of there R1 in 10mm Auto.

https://www.remington.com/handguns/model-1911-r1/1911-r1-10mm-hunter
View Quote
I saw that.   Should have mentioned I am trying to keep it under 1K.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 2:54:23 PM EDT
[#4]
The new Colt Delta Elite rail gun would be my choice.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 4:22:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I would personally avoid the Iver Johnsons.   I haven't seen one yet that impressed me.  I think the RIA is a better value.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 4:30:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 4:48:26 PM EDT
[#7]
10mm is a punishing round.  If you're not going to get a Glock 20, then I'd say the Delta.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 4:54:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I like the ergonomics of the Coonan, and they are supposed to be shipping a 10mm soon, but I don't think that will meet your price point.  Of your list, I'd probably get the Colt, just because of the red triangle.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 5:16:25 PM EDT
[#9]
What I don't like about the Delta is that they use an unramped barrel.  Personally I like a little more case support with hot 10mm loads.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:04:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I would go with the sig
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:04:30 PM EDT
[#11]
RIA Tactical...save the money, you'll need it for ammo
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:18:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Besides the pricepoint of the RIA, another advantage is they come in a doublestack version as well.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:27:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Sig has a 10mm version of their TACOPS 1911.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 8:21:04 PM EDT
[#14]
You can get a Dan Wesson Silverback in their Blemished program for about $1,500, I did. It's an outstanding 1911 10mm. I've had Colt Delta Elite 10mm as well as Kimber Custom TLE/RL II 10mm and the Kimber is a better pistol than the Colt. The Colt Delta Elite did not have a light rail and had standard trigger and hammer. My Dan Wesson and the Kimber both have night sights, match triggers, and match hammers right out of the box. The Dan Wesson Silverback is a better 1911 than either the Colt or the Kimber and is worth the higher price tag. That said, my edc pistol is a Night Hawk Custom Recon Enforcer 10mm. I prefer to insure my life with the best pistol I could buy and the NHC fits the bill nicely. The action, trigger, accuracy, and reliability of the NHC is better than the Dan Wesson, Colt, or Kimber.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 8:25:49 PM EDT
[#15]
I second the dan Wessons,I have 4 of them all great guns
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:08:34 PM EDT
[#16]
I just picked up one of the new Delta Elites recently. I have quite a few 10mm pistols (Glock 20/29/40, SIG P220, and a S&W 1076), and I think the Delta is my new favorite.

Call me old fashioned, but I don't trust a bargain-brand or overseas-made 1911 to hold up to 10mm loads over time. I may very well be wrong, but I'm not spending money to find out.

As far as the unramped barrel, I don't plan on shooting nuclear loads through my Delta. SAAMI spec full power (200gr @ 1200 / 180gr @ 1250 or so, as far as I'm concerned) is good enough for me. Any more than that, and I'll take one of my .41/.44 mag S&Ws or a rifle.

I plan on fitting a flat-bottom Harrison firing pin stop to my DE and stocking up on replacement recoil and hammer springs, as well as the stock polymer guide rods and calling it a day.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 3:27:49 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a Delta Goldcup and a RIA 10mm. If you can afford the Colt get it. There is something about a Colt 1911. That said, I have no regrets whatsoever getting a RIA. That thing is a lot of value for the money. If I had it over though, I would get the RIA Long slide 10mm. In the thread of high round counts handguns used for rental at Battlefield Vegas, the owner Ron had a lot of good things to say about RIA pistols. I agree with what he said.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 8:24:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What I don't like about the Delta is that they use an unramped barrel.  Personally I like a little more case support with hot 10mm loads.
View Quote
That's why I suggested Sig's 10mm TacOps railed pistol in my first post above.   Ramped barrel with good chamber support, and well-sprung. The rail adds a bit of center-forward weight, in addition to giving the user a light option. Sig night sights, plus it comes with like, 4 magazines in the case.

Although a Colt Delta carries both the name and the history, the Sig appears to be more robust and durable. It's as if Sig's 1911 designers have actually learned something about the cartridge from its 30-years of existence, and what you need to do to make a 1911-pattern 10mm run right.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 9:06:02 AM EDT
[#19]
I have the Iver Johnson 6" 1911 in .45 and it's a very nice shooting pistol . There is now a stainless version in 10 mm 6" .
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 9:10:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I
would personally avoid the Iver Johnsons.   I haven't seen one yet that impressed me.  I think the RIA is a better value.
View Quote

Which Iver Johnson pistols have you shot ? I have shot a 6" and a 5" and both have been flawless through 200 rds. each . I know that's not a high round count but so far I'm impressed with fit , finish and function .
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 9:20:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
That's why I suggested Sig's 10mm TacOps railed pistol in my first post above.   Ramped barrel with good chamber support, and well-sprung. The rail adds a bit of center-forward weight, in addition to giving the user a light option. Sig night sights, plus it comes with like, 4 magazines in the case.

Although a Colt Delta carries both the name and the history, the Sig appears to be more robust and durable. It's as if Sig's 1911 designers have actually learned something about the cartridge from its 30-years of existence, and what you need to do to make a 1911-pattern 10mm run right.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nick, you make some good points! If I were in the market right now it would be between the Sig or a Tanfoglio 10mil; But I would be leaning harder on the Sig. The Tanfoglio line while being my favorite ergonomically and looks wise; I don't know how long one would hold up to any loads even close to max specs.

It's a damned shame that CZ/Dan Wesson only did a limited run on their 1911 Commander Bob Tail. I have to admit if I were to come across one that was in good shape I'd be willing to pay up to get it! I would almost have to! Check it out Here!
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 9:54:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Nick, you make some good points! If I were in the market right now it would be between the Sig or a Tanfoglio 10mil; But I would be leaning harder on the Sig. The Tanfoglio line while being my favorite ergonomically and looks wise; I don't know how long one would hold up to any loads even close to max specs.

It's a damned shame that CZ/Dan Wesson only did a limited run on their 1911 Commander Bob Tail. I have to admit if I were to come across one that was in good shape I'd be willing to pay up to get it! I would almost have to! Check it out Here!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, a DW 10mm Commander bobtail would be sweet. Nice & compact.

On the CZ/Tanfoglio double-stack design, ... the problem with Tanfoglio's 10mm Witnesses is really the lack of ready aftermarket support, like swapping in night sights or grips, as well as reports of recurring QC issues.

On the CZ pistols,  a few years back someone posted a "teaser" YouTube vid that seemed to suggest CZ was going to bring out a 10mm version of the 97B.  I've always preferred CZ's QC over Tanfoglio's anyway, and that would be especially true in anything 10mm, but for whatever reason CZ never produced a 10mm 97B.

I'd thought that maybe since Sig is now marketing 5 10mms (one 1911 & 4 P220s), that would spur competitors, like CZ, to get off the fence and give us a few 10mm variants, ... at least one of those being a double-stack 10mm off the big 97B's design.

... Guess we'll see.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:08:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Doesn't someone around here have one? I thought I saw someone post pics of theirs about a week ago? I'm really looking hard at one as well.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 11:53:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Which Iver Johnson pistols have you shot ? I have shot a 6" and a 5" and both have been flawless through 200 rds. each . I know that's not a high round count but so far I'm impressed with fit , finish and function .
View Quote
I haven't shot any but just from inspecting the quality of parts and fit and finish, I conclude they aren't something I would be interested in owning at the $600-700 price range.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 3:51:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Doesn't someone around here have one? I thought I saw someone post pics of theirs about a week ago? I'm really looking hard at one as well.
View Quote
Yes , I have one and love it. I also have a Delta elite and a couple tanfoglio 10's plus a couple others.

Link Posted: 3/29/2017 5:32:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

On the CZ/Tanfoglio double-stack design, ... the problem with Tanfoglio's 10mm Witnesses is really the lack of ready aftermarket support, like swapping in night sights or grips, as well as reports of recurring QC issues.

On the CZ pistols,  a few years back someone posted a "teaser" YouTube vid that seemed to suggest CZ was going to bring out a 10mm version of the 97B.  I've always preferred CZ's QC over Tanfoglio's anyway, and that would be especially true in anything 10mm, but for whatever reason CZ never produced a 10mm 97B.

I'd thought that maybe since Sig is now marketing 5 10mms (one 1911 & 4 P220s), that would spur competitors, like CZ, to get off the fence and give us a few 10mm variants, ... at least one of those being a double-stack 10mm off the big 97B's design.

... Guess we'll see.
View Quote
I've got a CZ (97B)... I never heard of the CZ (Tease) with a 10mm version. The 97B would make a superb 10mm host because it really soaks up the recoil of standard Federal HST and Gold Dot 230 grain ammo... but really shines accuracy wise with Hornady 230gr+P's. All it took to make recoil very soft, (feels like I'm shooting my P-01 in 9mm now), was swapping the stock 13lb recoil spring with a Wolff 18lb recoil spring. It's right on accuracy wise with my Springfield Champion Operator and it's reliability, yeah, it's what I've come to expect from CZ, "sunrise reliable." I toyed with the idea of converting the 97B to .45Super for a week or two. Then I realized that the half dozen parts needed to "Soup-Up" a Springfield Loaded were much easier sourced and from plenty of different manufacturers, EGW, Wilson, Wolff, etc... so the 1911 Loaded became the dedicated .45Super "Woods-gun." But the 97B would really come to it's own with a factory 10mm model. I hope CZ takes it from [tease mode] and puts it into at least a limited run production series. Here is a couple of pics of my 97B. I swapped/fitted in a set of "Tru-Dots" and got a pretty decent holster for it, a "Black Arch" holster.

Link Posted: 3/29/2017 5:40:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Yes , I have one and love it. I also have a Delta elite and a couple tanfoglio 10's plus a couple others.

http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q637/boesep01/IMAG1833_zpsxvu7tyq3.jpg
View Quote
Nice man! I bet the full size along with the half rail makes for a smooth 10 mil... The Sig 1911's are so much more appealing to me (looks wise) than when they first came out. I couldn't get over that "Sig" slide cut. But now I'm really liking it. The second thing that I initially couldn't get over was the external extractor. But on all accounts now they work just as well as the traditional 1911 extractor. Good for Sig getting their 1911's running reliably out of the box! The bugs that existed when they first came out seem to be long gone!
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 9:55:04 PM EDT
[#28]
To me, the best 1911 10mm made today is the STI Nitro. Certainly a Sig 1911 would be a close, close second.

Given Colt's long, sordid history of uneven QC, no way would *I* spend that sort of coin on a Delta.

RIA is worth a look if you don't wish for top tier refinement. They shoot ok, but they're not "smooth" enough for me to keep them.

My .o2
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 10:29:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 10:57:46 PM EDT
[#30]
I love my Tacops 10mm.  

My only issue with the Colt is the unramped barrel.  Otherwise, I would have seriously considered it.

The DW Razorback is a great option too but it's $1500+.  And don't forget the Sig P220 10mm if you want a P Series style pistol.  They have excellent case support, too.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 11:16:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Good looking gun, I like the subtle styling touches like the tri-top and the bull nose.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 10:04:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Good looking gun, I like the subtle styling touches like the tri-top and the bull nose.
View Quote
That gun is pure sex.  A long slide DW 10mm.  Guess I gotta start saving my pennies.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 10:11:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I saw that.   Should have mentioned I am trying to keep it under 1K.
View Quote
Sometimes one can find a Dan Wesson (USED) under 1k.  Otherwise, I'd go with a Delta.

Link Posted: 4/4/2017 5:54:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I never heard of the CZ (Tease) with a 10mm version. The 97B would make a superb 10mm host because it really soaks up the recoil of standard Federal HST and Gold Dot 230 grain ammo...  * * * But the 97B would really come to it's own with a factory 10mm model. I hope CZ takes it from [tease mode] and puts it into at least a limited run production series. * * *
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

... Guess we'll see.
I never heard of the CZ (Tease) with a 10mm version. The 97B would make a superb 10mm host because it really soaks up the recoil of standard Federal HST and Gold Dot 230 grain ammo...  * * * But the 97B would really come to it's own with a factory 10mm model. I hope CZ takes it from [tease mode] and puts it into at least a limited run production series. * * *
Dudenal, where've you been?  

Here's  the YouTube "teaser" vid of a CZ 10mm on the 97B-pattern.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iIK6cFPevmE

Not sayin' I'd trade my Sig DA/SA 10mm P220 for one now, but back then it sure looked interesting.  

In fact, that vid really stirred up a lot of the hard-core 10mm fans who had been longing for a high-end 10mm on the CZ/Bren Ten-ish pattern that wasn't a Tanfoglio Witness (due to QC issues like cracking slides, finicky mags, and other problems, ... not to mention the shitty and attitudinal customer service from Tanfoglio's U.S. Importer, EAA).  
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 6:06:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's really nice.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 1:23:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Good gun at a good price. I think you'll like it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:30:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIK6cFPevmE

Not sayin' I'd trade my Sig DA/SA 10mm P220 for one now, but back then it sure looked interesting.  

In fact, that vid really stirred up a lot of the hard-core 10mm fans who had been longing for a high-end 10mm on the CZ/Bren Ten-ish pattern that wasn't a Tanfoglio Witness (due to QC issues like cracking slides, finicky mags, and other problems, ... not to mention the shitty and attitudinal customer service from Tanfoglio's U.S. Importer, EAA).  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

... Guess we'll see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIK6cFPevmE

Yeah, pretty awesome indeed bro. A sight swap (easy enough) and a stiffer recoil spring (because my 97B's stock spring was waaaay under-sprung).... and that's my "Quintessential" 10mm. Better yet would be a 97B .45acp to 10mm conversion barrel kit with 10milli mags! Now I'm just being greedy I suppose!
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:42:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You do know that if you contact Keith Lawton, VP of Operations for Dan Wesson, that they will do special order requests? You can get that pistol you want if you contact them.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 7:30:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
You do know that if you contact Keith Lawton, VP of Operations for Dan Wesson, that they will do special order requests? You can get that pistol you want if you contact them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did not know that. Keith Lawton is the guy to call... I'm turning the big 4.0 this year. I stay in shape, my wife will want to do something nice for my birthday... and I think I deserve that pistol! I really appreciate your post INV136. Thank you sir!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top