Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/25/2017 10:27:03 AM EDT
I'm looking for some resources to teach me the finer (and maybe grosser) points of handgun accuracy.  I feel I'm good enough for self defense, but I want to get as good as I can at target shooting.  I have a couple of very accurate rimfire pistols that I enjoy shooting, but they show my errors.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:05:46 PM EDT
[#1]
there are tons of videos on youtube to watch, I like to watch Jerry Miculek's videos. The best thing you can do is to practice a lot and see what works for you. Just because someone says a certain stance or grip is the best doesn't mean it will work for you.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:14:27 PM EDT
[#2]
What worked best for me was to focus my eyes on the front sight for target shooting. When I shifted my focus from the target to the front sight, my groups improved a lot.

YMMV
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:44:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What worked best for me was to focus my eyes on the front sight for target shooting. When I shifted my focus from the target to the front sight, my groups improved a lot.

YMMV
View Quote
When talking about any sort of pistol shooting but especially precision ( such as NRA bullseye) this is very key. Your front sight needs to be sharply in focus always and your target always blurry.
I shot bullseye for decades ( still do) and some of the skills encouraged by the run and gun types do not necessarily transfer to precision shooting and vice versa.
Understand you will have a wobble zone you carefully squeeze the trigger during- most wide shots on a bullseye are the result of getting a perfect sight picture and mashing on the trigger instead of working through the wobble zone. Also never strain your eyes during a string of fire to look at where the bullets are landing! This creates two problems you tire your eyes plus this creates a subconscious desire to look over the sights to the target. For checking hits a spotting scope or binocular or walking to the target ( or at those ranges so equipped bringing the target back to you.
Doing each element of the shooting sequence "by the numbers" as a conscious act is also important:
1) get a stance and check natural point of aim then adjust your feet so you are not muscling the gun into alignment with the target with your arm
2) carefully grip the pistol as high up on the grip as possible
3) practice several rise to target and point pistol at target with eye closed - if the gun is not pointing at the target adjust your stance
4) shoot slow fire at a small target or at least 50 feet with 25 yards better it shows every little error and keep targets to review at home to figure out your mistakes
5) getting an experienced precision shooter for a mentor they can usually stand next to you and in about a minute or less tell you exactly what you are doing that may be hurting or helping performance.
6) keep practice sessions short- under 100 rounds but take your time. Any of us can pretty much quickly blast a one hole group at seven yards with 100 rounds in ten minutes- your goal is to make every one of those 100 trigger breaks perfect and with maximal focus on each shot this takes time and can be rather tiring
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:49:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I shoot and enjoy all types of pistol shooting and keep in mind in this day and age much or the on line tutorial stuff is focused on action type shooting where speed and manipulation is emphasized over accuracy. I have seen very good uspsa shooters who can barely hold scoring rings on a 25 yard bullseye target and on the other side of the coin bullseye skilled people who take what seems like forever to get through a uspsa stage. What may help you in one may hinder you in the other.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:13:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
When talking about any sort of pistol shooting but especially precision ( such as NRA bullseye) this is very key. Your front sight needs to be sharply in focus always and your target always blurry.
I shot bullseye for decades ( still do) and some of the skills encouraged by the run and gun types do not necessarily transfer to precision shooting and vice versa.
Understand you will have a wobble zone you carefully squeeze the trigger during- most wide shots on a bullseye are the result of getting a perfect sight picture and mashing on the trigger instead of working through the wobble zone. Also never strain your eyes during a string of fire to look at where the bullets are landing! This creates two problems you tire your eyes plus this creates a subconscious desire to look over the sights to the target. For checking hits a spotting scope or binocular or walking to the target ( or at those ranges so equipped bringing the target back to you.
Doing each element of the shooting sequence "by the numbers" as a conscious act is also important:
1) get a stance and check natural point of aim then adjust your feet so you are not muscling the gun into alignment with the target with your arm
3) practice several rise to target and point pistol at target with eye closed - if the gun is not pointing at the target adjust your stance
4) shoot slow fire at a small target or at least 50 feet with 25 yards better it shows every little error and keep targets to review at home to figure out your mistakes
5) getting an experienced precision shooter for a mentor they can usually stand next to you and in about a minute or less tell you exactly what you are doing that may be hurting or helping performance.
6) keep practice sessions short- under 100 rounds but take your time. Any of us can pretty much quickly blast a one hole group at seven yards with 100 rounds in ten minutes- your goal is to make every one of those 100 trigger breaks perfect and with maximal focus on each shot this takes time and can be rather tiring
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

YMMV
Thanks.  Those are some very applicable tips.  I've been shooting at 15 yards and my groups really open up from ten yards.  I've been trying to limit myself to 200 rounds each session as I get tired after that, then frustrated when my groups get even larger.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:14:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I spend this morning practicing since it's been over 6 months since I went to the range last.  I took an Arfcomers advice to practice shooting my 229 in DA (and decock the hammer back to DA again) over and over. Used Carry Ammo (180gr Hydra shock in .40) and 180GR Ranger FMJ

I feel like I am better for it even though it's new to me. I'd say to do what ever you are most uncomfortable with and repetition helps.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:16:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Get a laser.  I don't like them on a ccw or home defense gun myself.

They do show flinching.  The red dot on the target doesn't lie
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:36:50 PM EDT
[#8]
If all else fails, stand closer to the target.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:02:57 PM EDT
[#9]
one of the best tips I have heard is stop trying to aim the gun. Focus on pulling the trigger through the break without moving the gun. No matter where the sights are or any sight alignment drills, the bullet will never hit that spot until the trigger pull is mastered. Aligning the sights is easy, 90% of accuracy problems are directly related to the break and follow through.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:44:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Buy a 22 conversion kit for your handgun
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:14:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
one of the best tips I have heard is stop trying to aim the gun. Focus on pulling the trigger through the break without moving the gun. No matter where the sights are or any sight alignment drills, the bullet will never hit that spot until the trigger pull is mastered. Aligning the sights is easy, 90% of accuracy problems are directly related to the break and follow through.
View Quote
This is exactly what I mean when triggering through the wobble zone. A perfectly broke trigger release will still result on a hit on target with imperfect sight alignment while perfect sight alignment plus sloppy trigger break is going to be a miss
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:24:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This is exactly what I mean when triggering through the wobble zone. A perfectly broke trigger release will still result on a hit on target with imperfect sight alignment while perfect sight alignment plus sloppy trigger break is going to be a miss
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 I believe this is the area I need the most improvement.  I either force the shot or wait too long.  I also think I'm using too much trigger finger.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:39:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Lots of good tings in this thread.  I'd suggest reading what Brian Zins about trigger control, here.

The emphasis on sight picture is right.  However if your trigger control sucks then sight picture doesn't matter.   Most notably Zins points out in some other stuff he's written that that old chestnut about "surprise break" is wrong.   We tell that to beginners to get them not to hammer the trigger and jerk it.   But after you're shooting for a while you really just want a smooth consistent trigger pull that is uninterrupted and consistent every time.   Surprise should not be involved.  

I think a lot of people (I noticed this with myself a while ago) get so focused on the "surprise break" that in slow fire they baby or press the trigger too gingerly.  After your first shooting session, you really don't want to be surprised when your gun goes off.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 3:40:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Go find some Bullseye matches locally and you'll be learned quickly how to shoot!
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:40:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Some good advice in this thread!

My accuracy has benefitted greatly using the techniques taught in this set;

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SX73LIK?tag=vglnk-c102-20
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 12:23:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I believe this is the area I need the most improvement.  I either force the shot or wait too long.  I also think I'm using too much trigger finger.
View Quote
I think captain127 gave you some excellent advice. I had to double check to make sure I was still on arfcom!  Kidding!

He's absolutely spot on about keeping your eyes on the front sight, even after the shot breaks. If you play golf, it's like trying to watch where your ball goes. If you look up, you're almost guaranteed to stand up and top the ball. Same with shooting, you're going to drop your shot by looking over the pistol.

He's also dead on about the wobble. If you work with it, you'll do fine. If you try to wait for the perfect shot, you'll jam the trigger to get the shot off before things change and inevitably, that will screw it all up.

Regarding the quote above, IMO, don't buy into the BS about finger placement. Do what comes naturally so that it is repeatable. Then work dry fire to make sure your press is even.

What I will disagree with captain127 about is distance. I don't assume everyone is actually at the point where they're putting a whole mag through one hole at 7 yds, cuz that's not what I see next to me at the range. My suggestion is to start at 7 yds and if you are getting one hole, move it back to 10.  Still one hole? Try 12, maybe 15 yds. Keep increasing until you can see that you're opening up. That's where you should practice. Starting right at 25 may just frustrate you. I know I start opening up at 20yds, and 25 is difficult. Dunno why that last 5 yds really kills me. Anyway, my point is to work your way to 25yds, don't start there.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 9:18:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm looking for some resources to teach me the finer (and maybe grosser) points of handgun accuracy.  I feel I'm good enough for self defense, but I want to get as good as I can at target shooting.  I have a couple of very accurate rimfire pistols that I enjoy shooting, but they show my errors.
View Quote

The single most important thing in accuracy with a handgun is trigger control.

Case in point, I was at the range the other day, and the gentleman next to me had a green laser, and it was right on the bulleye, at 7 yards, and from the movement of the beam, his hands were just as steady as mine.

His groupings were in a buckshot pattern, well off the bullseye...

Thats the effect of trigger control. Even with a Laser, which is a superior aiming device that cannot be misaligned (assuming it's zero'd), you can be a terrible shot without good trigger control.

The key to good trigger control is a) figuring out how to pull the trigger with minimal sight movement and b) practicing that pull in dry fire practice at home. Even 15 minutes a week, of good dryfire (ie focusing on pulling the trigger correctly every time) will make a huge improvement in your performance.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 12:43:13 PM EDT
[#18]
This may sound stupid and over simplistic, but:

For years I was a terrible handgun shooter. I did all the things your were supposed to do, dry fire practice, practice basic sound fundamentals, etc....but I never improved by any measurable gains. I had one problem that I could not cure, a weird flinchy, pre-ignition push, recoil anticipation thing going on, that always pushed my shots low and left, and/or often all over the paper.

I took some friendly advise from a guy at the range one day whom I saw was a very good shooter, and asked him to watch me. He told me to double up on ear-protection. Well I'll be damned if that didn't have almost immediate results.

So all those years of practicing good fundamentals finally started paying off.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 1:07:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Do you shoot or carry different guns? Calibers? I personally stick to one platform,(boring I know), but I know what to expect with my gun-how it breaks/let off,trigger reset,grip angle,etc.. Like others have said, dry fire your pistol and get some snap caps. Also, practice drawing your pistol,(obviously making sure it is unloaded) and pulling the trigger/dry firing.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 5:07:31 PM EDT
[#20]
I am one of the lucky ones who can change platforms with no loss of accuracy. This is by no means everyone but I find the fundamentals do transfer regardless of platform.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 5:22:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I am one of the lucky ones who can change platforms with no loss of accuracy. This is by no means everyone but I find the fundamentals do transfer regardless of platform.
View Quote
I can do it with my Sigs, Glocks, HK P7, CZs, M&Ps, and 1911.  Fundamentals transfer for me.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 6:06:27 PM EDT
[#22]
I shot with reading glasses on this weekend.  Holy crap! I was able to see the sights properly and flat ripped up e center of the targets.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top