Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/19/2017 1:17:37 PM EDT
I'm guessing there are folks here with experience in choosing handguns for small (<5 ft tall) women with very small hands.  What has worked and what hasn't worked?  CCW isn't an option, as neither of them are U.S. Citizens but they are permanent residents and can legally own firearms.  

Primary purpose would be home defense and recreational shooting.  I'm thinking a 9mm, semi-auto would be the best choice but I'm not sure if polymer (lighter, more recoil) or all metal (heavier, less recoil) would be preferable.  I also don't know which gun's ergonomics might best suit very small shooters.  I have a Gen 3 G19 and the grip is a beast for their hands.  

What handguns have you guys seen work well for women with very small hands?
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 1:23:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Glock 43 with a plus 2 base pad
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 1:25:49 PM EDT
[#2]
9mm all the way.
Take her to a LCS and let her hold a few.  Let her pick it out.
Smaller guns can be harder to shoot.  Is she strong enough to rack the slide?
If not you might want to look at revolvers.  
Then it will come down to what can she spend.
Good luck
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 1:28:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
9mm all the way.
Good luck
View Quote
Agree with above. Also Try to find a range/LGS that rents. Just because it fits doesn't necessarily mean she can shoot it well. Holsters will be an issue as well. A lot of smaller women have issues.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 2:50:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Going to a local gun shop and letting them shop is the best answer. A good place to start IMHO, would be an M&P or Xd as they have smaller grips than the Glock. As for revolvers, I've come to believe that they are not the best option for women who might lack the strength to work the slide, because if they lack the needed strength they will likely not have the finger strength to smoothly run that heavy double action trigger. .02
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 2:59:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Single stack Glock
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 3:16:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Ruger lc9 with the 9 rnd mag might be something to look at also. Always let women pick their own gun

My wife is a small woman Started her on 22/45 lite. She's now shooting a glock 19 and 1911's.

It's usually gaining confidence more than anything.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 3:56:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Ruger LCR, especially in .327.  Gives you six shots and the ability to shoot powderpuff loads like the 32s&w, 32s&wl to the more powerful 32 h&r mag, 327 and if moonclipped 32 acp.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 6:32:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Smith and Wesson Shield (because its a compact, modern single-stack).
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 6:34:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ruger lc9...
View Quote
Another good suggestion because its a reputable-quality modern single-stack gun.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 6:37:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ruger LCR, especially in .327.  Gives you six shots and the ability to shoot powderpuff loads like the 32s&w, 32s&wl to the more powerful 32 h&r mag, 327 and if moonclipped 32 acp.
View Quote
That should be real interesting when the "non-gun" person shoots a box of the short ammo, and then shoots the longer ammo without first completely cleaning the fouling "ring" left by the short ammo.
If only the long ammo is used, the muzzle-blast factor of that magnum ammo should be a real crowd-pleaser.
That, and the fact that .327 ammo is so inexpensive, and easy to find at places like Walmart.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 6:53:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
That is an excellent choice.  I was going to say an LCR in 22lr.  Easy to shoot light.   Not the best for defense but I she can hit the target it is better than a heavier recoiling caliber
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 6:54:35 PM EDT
[#12]
(Flame suit on)

Walther CCP - yes its a bit of a pain to learn the trick to easy takedown. But the lighter recoil spring and gas retarded slide action are perfect for people of smaller size.

This is a fully capable pistol firing full power 9x19. I have to say vrs Glock 380 - it even beats the Glock in mag capacity.

Have her handle one if possible before you whip out the plastic magic money card...
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 7:02:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I would suggest looking to the Kahr K9. It's single stack and very slim, but the steel frame combined with hougue rubber grips make it a smooth shooting pistol.

Since CCW is not a factor, there is no reason not to go will the extra weight of steel, which will help reduce recoil / snap and also allows the use of rubber grips.

I would not recommend a polymer single stack for a petit, new shooter unless they are very dedicated.

The KAHR trigger is also very easy to learn to shoot well. As there is no wall, and it's very smooth, its easy to break the shot without moving the sights. Also it encourages a surprise break to minimize flinching.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 7:22:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That should be real interesting when the "non-gun" person shoots a box of the short ammo, and then shoots the longer ammo without first completely cleaning the fouling "ring" left by the short ammo.
If only the long ammo is used, the muzzle-blast factor of that magnum ammo should be a real crowd-pleaser.
That, and the fact that .327 ammo is so inexpensive, and easy to find at places like Walmart.
View Quote
Lighten up Francis.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 8:34:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Shield with Apex kit.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:34:42 AM EDT
[#16]
My wife is 4 11 and loves G19s. Tried to get her to try a 42/43 but she hates how small the grip is.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:46:23 AM EDT
[#17]
I am married to a very small woman, and we recently went thru this. Tried everything under the sun ...

The Walther CCP is the answer. Good ergos for small hands, and very easy to rack the slide.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 12:05:49 PM EDT
[#18]
In these cases, I always recommend the same thing, especially for non gun nuts. Also is one of the best deals going. S&W model 10 4".
  6rds of 38special from a 4" barrel is enough power to get the job done. It doesn't require a hard to train manual of arms and failure is usually solved by pulling the trigger. The gun has enough weight to make shooting easy, and is extremely safe. Plenty of grip options for all size of hands.
They can be had for $300 used and will last a lifetime.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 12:14:11 PM EDT
[#19]
I agree with those who say to take her to put hands on as many guns as possible and a range where you can rent them all out and see which she likes best.

From my experience, being 5 foot nothing and midget sized hands, i love my sig sauer 938. For as small as it is, the recoil soring is just right. Its nice and smooth when shooting, yet easy to pull the slide back to load a round/lock it open. I've had a lot of experience with many guns. The glock 19 may also be a good choice, or any gun in that size range.

For home defense, can't go wrong with a pump action shotgun.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 1:52:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I agree with those who say to take her to put hands on as many guns as possible and a range where you can rent them all out and see which she likes best.

From my experience, being 5 foot nothing and midget sized hands, i love my sig sauer 938. For as small as it is, the recoil soring is just right. Its nice and smooth when shooting, yet easy to pull the slide back to load a round/lock it open. I've had a lot of experience with many guns. The glock 19 may also be a good choice, or any gun in that size range.

For home defense, can't go wrong with a pump action shotgun.
View Quote
Agree with a hammer fired single action if not a concealed gun a full size is easier to manipulate is more likely to be reliable with an imperfect grip and if racking slide is a problem the hammer can be cocked first to decrease the force required. And with a traditional GI guide rod set up muzzle are below barrel can be pushed against the edge of a table or other hard object to charge the pistol.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 3:21:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Glock 19 is my first offer, too.

If that's too big, I have them try a CZ P01 or CZ 75, with thin aftermarket grips if possible. Maybe a High Power if the CZ is too big, but that's the thinnest double-stack 9mm I'm aware of.

If that doesn't work, might have to switch to a single stack 9, those being the Glock 43 or M&P Shield.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:19:44 PM EDT
[#22]
I started my wife with a bersa thunder 380. It is extremely easy to operate and shoot. Never had any issues with it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:34:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I started my wife with a bersa thunder 380. It is extremely easy to operate and shoot. Never had any issues with it.
View Quote
That was my 23 year old daughter's choice. She didn't like the very small micro guns at all. And my wife had a really nice Colt Government Model 380 but had trouble racking the slide, so now she keeps my Ruger Vaquero in her desk and can actually shoot it quite well even though she's only 5 foot tall. I keep Cowboy  loads in it for her but that would be more than sufficient to take out any Critter that might bother her on two or four legs.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:21:44 PM EDT
[#24]
When will you Boneheads learn, woman/man DOESN'T MATTER when it comes to guns!  Gun choices would be the same for MEN with small hands!  And as for small hands, my wife's gun of choice is a S&W N frame Model 27/357mag!  So throw all the SHIT you've been reading about online/magazines, and let the shooter pick his/her firearm they're comfortable with!  Lesson over Newb!
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 1:08:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Don't make the mistake I made. I took my wife to the gunstore and pushed her toward a Shield, because I wanted her to have a 9mm. Problem was soon after she got it she would rarely carry it because of the size and weight. Now that she has an LCP II she carries regularly. Any gun is better than no gun.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 4:20:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Make SURE she will use it.

The smaller the gun the more recoil energy will be present.

While the 'felt recoil' may be tolerable make sure.

Sometimes something a little bigger and heavier is a better idea.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 4:27:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Glock 43, S&W M&P9 Shield, and Walther PPS M2 would be my recommendations...

While a .380 is better than a sharp stick and has killed its fair share of people through the ages, 9mm is better. The mass of a larger gun is better in mitigating recoil (physics), but will she actually carry it? A smaller gun carried is better than a larger gun left at home in the nightstand.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 4:56:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Sig P238
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:14:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Thanks for the recommendations.  It sounds like I'm on the right track and there are some guns here I might not have considered.  This will allow us to make a short list of guns to rent and try first. 
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:39:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Guns don't need to fit hands, for the most part. Bigger is better for little ladies. I'm tiny and I like my G19 best.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:42:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I would suggest looking to the Kahr K9. It's single stack and very slim, but the steel frame combined with hougue rubber grips make it a smooth shooting pistol.

http://www.kahr.com/GetDynamicImage.aspx?dir=itemImages&path=SVimg-K9098.jpg

Since CCW is not a factor, there is no reason not to go will the extra weight of steel, which will help reduce recoil / snap and also allows the use of rubber grips.

I would not recommend a polymer single stack for a petit, new shooter unless they are very dedicated.

The KAHR trigger is also very easy to learn to shoot well. As there is no wall, and it's very smooth, its easy to break the shot without moving the sights. Also it encourages a surprise break to minimize flinching.
View Quote
My Kahr was very sensitive to limp wristing.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:44:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Small guns don't make any sense if you're not trying to conceal. Bigger is better here, even if we're talking smaller calibers.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:50:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Glock 43, S&W M&P9 Shield, and Walther PPS M2 would be my recommendations...

While a .380 is better than a sharp stick and has killed its fair share of people through the ages, 9mm is better. The mass of a larger gun is better in mitigating recoil (physics), but will she actually carry it? A smaller gun carried is better than a larger gun left at home in the nightstand.
View Quote
This is pretty sound advice.  I would also throw the M&P 9c and FNS 9c into the mix.  You can install the smaller back straps and give them a try.  I would really recommend they shoot a variety of guns before you put down the cash.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:55:42 AM EDT
[#34]
G43 for the 9 ... if that's still a little too much snap, then a G42 in 380.
Both are awesome little guns and a real pleasure to shoot.  
The only problem I've seen with them is it takes a little strength to pull the slide back on both.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:57:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Maybe the Lionheart LH9N.
Grip is pretty small, easy to rack slide 13 and 15 round magazines available, also uses S&W 59 series magazines.

Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:43:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Don't focus on just small guns because she is a small person. I've been getting my mom into shooting lately, she's 5'2 with small hands and her favorite guns of mine to shoot are the glock 34, m&p 9 and the ak.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 3:07:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

This is pretty sound advice.  I would also throw the M&P 9c and FNS 9c into the mix.  You can install the smaller back straps and give them a try.  I would really recommend they shoot a variety of guns before you put down the cash.
View Quote
My wife was in a similar boat. She has a Gen 3 Glock 19 that she shoots well, but we had to step her down to a Glock 43 that she would actually be able to carry concealed. Women's form-fitting clothing hasn't always been conducive to CCW on the body.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 3:23:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Guns don't need to fit hands, for the most part. Bigger is better for little ladies. I'm tiny and I like my G19 best.
View Quote
Guns do need to fit hands. My wife's hands are so small, she cannot properly grip a Glock 19. If her finger is on the trigger, the gun is recoiling through the outside of her second thumb knuckle.

Guns that fit her include:
Walther PPQ
Walther P99
HK VP9
Kahr 9mm
Glock 42 and 43
CZ-75 9mm and Kadet
single stack 1911 (short trigger helps)
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 6:08:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
9mm all the way.
Good luck
View Quote
Did the same thing with my mother in law, who has small hands, in good shape. We rented 10 pistols; from M&P's, 1911's, Browning HP's, "J" frames, etc... She absolutely loved the CZ "P-01"... She got one, I liked it so much I got one too within a month, and so did my brother. My P-01 with VZ grips is slimmer than my beloved 1911's are. OP, always let the end user try and pick out what they like best. Too many times us men choose something for our wives, GF's, mothers, etc (all with the best/most sincere intentions), that they hate to shoot. My wife has all but commandeered my favorite 1911. She is built exactly like her mother...
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 6:17:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Guns do need to fit hands. My wife's hands are so small, she cannot properly grip a Glock 19. If her finger is on the trigger, the gun is recoiling through the outside of her second thumb knuckle.

Guns that fit her include:
Walther PPQ
Walther P99
HK VP9
Kahr 9mm
Glock 42 and 43
CZ-75 9mm and Kadet
single stack 1911 (short trigger helps)
View Quote
Like I said, "for the most part". I have tiny hands and I don't have this issue.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 7:50:10 PM EDT
[#41]
My wife has two guns that she Is able to shoot a Sig P238 280acp and a Rossi revolver SS that she shoots 38spl ammo. For home defense a revolver is a good gun to start off with.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 3:12:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:46:18 PM EDT
[#43]
The sprinngfield xds and the mod2 have fairly small grips and shoot great along with the special going on right now for 4 free mags and a holster.  My glock grips are wider than the mod2 iN FEEL.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:02:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Absolutely WRONG, if the handgun doesn't fit the shooters hand the shooter is at a severe handicap and will never learn to shoot that firearm as well as they will shoot a handgun that fits.

As to the OP's question - tiny hands run in my wife's family, my wife, sister in law and niece all picked the S&W M&P 9c as the largest capacity grip that fit their hands correctly. They all expressed a like for the M&P Shield as well.  Further the M&P line of handguns shoot soft

Keep trying different makes and models until you find one than fits her hand and she likes.
View Quote
Explain how I shoot a G19 so well when it doesn't fit my hand. Feels awful, runs great.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 4:47:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:22:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Why can't they have a ccw? I got mine before I was a citizen (also had Utah and florida)
Wife has a glock 42 for ccw and a Bereta px4 for the house
She decided at the range renting ands shooting a lot of diferent guns
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:07:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

And how many years have you been a firearms Instructor? And what is your definition of shooting well?
View Quote
How long have you been shooting guns with your tiny lady hands?
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:21:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:31:27 PM EDT
[#49]
I'll 2nd both the FNH FNS Compact and the Beretta PX4 Storm Compact, both in 9mm.

The PX4 is a little heavier and with the rotating barrel lockup is a soft, accurate shooter right out of the box.

Both offer swappable backstraps, so can be tuned for a specific user.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 12:42:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Explain how I shoot a G19 so well when it doesn't fit my hand. Feels awful, runs great.
View Quote
My wife's is still learning but after trying all types and sizes of different pistols we found she shoots the Glock 19 the best. I bought her a Glock 19C for her birthday a couple of years back and she shoots it very well. She has small hands too and when I watch her shoot I am perplexed. Her grip looks unnatural to me and it doesn't look like she should have very good control with it but damn if she doesn't make it work for her. She has come a long way and when she does her part behind the trigger I have complete confidence in her ability to protect herself if the need arises. Her G19C has an X300 on it, extended slide lock and FBI mag release. I added a grip plug to make her reloads a little smoother. She uses factory sights which she says she likes better then anything else I use. The trigger is a factory trigger with a 4.5lb connector. It has an Apex extractor because it was throwing brass all over the place. I think the X300 paired with the compensated barrel makes it a little smoother shooting too.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top