User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 5:20:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dude, that is pretty awesome to know. I've heard some good stuff about "Sig" ammo but haven't gotten around to trying any. I heard they load out to true spec but didn't expect the 10mm stuff to be anywhere near 1250fps! Do you like Sig's brass for reloading? I really need to pick up a couple hundred rounds of this stuff. I'm going to look for some now in a couple of calibers! Thanks for the recommendation Nick!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL ...

You knuckleheads make me almost bust a gut laughing.  

.45Super is a junk caliber for wannabe "Sonny Crocket" dudenals who want to upgrade their 45acp with a barrel-swap for more velocity.

Problem is, ... you can't find .45Super on gun store shelves anywhere.

But the 10mm be everywhere.

Sig 10mm P220.
http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo166/agtman/Mobile%20Uploads/photo_23.jpg
"* * * But where exactly do you find off the shelf 10mm ammo that is loaded to anything more than a cunt hair hotter than the standard .40cal? In my findings it's never loaded more than 75fps faster than a .40 caliber. In all my years of loving the 10mm caliber I've had to either hand load or order from the aforementioned "Boutique" manufacturers to achieve the 10mm's potential to where it really shines...
Yes, I've reloaded for the 10mm extensively over the years also ... With the off-the-shelf stuff, it's gotten better than it ever used to be. Back in the mid- and late-'90s, about everything in 10mm in the gun shops dried up, except the Winchester STHPs.

Now, Sig's own 10mm 180gn ammo (FMJ & Crown HP) are spec-ed @ 1250fps,
which is upper mid-range velocity and good practice ammo if you don't reload. My regional Cabelas always keeps it stocked, and they typically have one or two of the Sig 10mm pistols out on the shelf. They also stock Buffalo Bore 10mm, one of so-called "Boutique" makers. They've had some CorBon 10mm too, but not for a while. I haven't seen them stock DT 10mm but they did have another type of DT handgun ammo in stock. It's a shame you don't see Underwood 10mm loads on the shelves, although one of my LGS owners would order a case and stock it if I asked. Been a customer of his for 30-yrs.
Dude, that is pretty awesome to know. I've heard some good stuff about "Sig" ammo but haven't gotten around to trying any. I heard they load out to true spec but didn't expect the 10mm stuff to be anywhere near 1250fps! Do you like Sig's brass for reloading? I really need to pick up a couple hundred rounds of this stuff. I'm going to look for some now in a couple of calibers! Thanks for the recommendation Nick!
Yeah, no problem.

On Sig's 10mm ammo, it's proving to be quite popular with 10mm fans who don't, or can't, reload. I've got about 500-rds of the 180gn FMJ ammo stocked for use over the summer, when I typically have less time to sit in my basement and reload. And yes, I've used the Sig brass to load up rounds. It's fine, on par with Starline.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:23:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Yeah, no problem.

On Sig's 10mm ammo, it's proving to be quite popular with 10mm fans who don't, or can't, reload. I've got about 500-rds of the 180gn FMJ ammo stocked for use over the summer, when I typically have less time to sit in my basement and reload. [color=#00ff00]And yes, I've used the Sig brass to load up rounds. It's fine, on par with Starline.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL ...

You knuckleheads make me almost bust a gut laughing.  

.45Super is a junk caliber for wannabe "Sonny Crocket" dudenals who want to upgrade their 45acp with a barrel-swap for more velocity.

Problem is, ... you can't find .45Super on gun store shelves anywhere.

But the 10mm be everywhere.

Sig 10mm P220.
http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo166/agtman/Mobile%20Uploads/photo_23.jpg
"* * * But where exactly do you find off the shelf 10mm ammo that is loaded to anything more than a cunt hair hotter than the standard .40cal? In my findings it's never loaded more than 75fps faster than a .40 caliber. In all my years of loving the 10mm caliber I've had to either hand load or order from the aforementioned "Boutique" manufacturers to achieve the 10mm's potential to where it really shines...
Yes, I've reloaded for the 10mm extensively over the years also ... With the off-the-shelf stuff, it's gotten better than it ever used to be. Back in the mid- and late-'90s, about everything in 10mm in the gun shops dried up, except the Winchester STHPs.

Now, Sig's own 10mm 180gn ammo (FMJ & Crown HP) are spec-ed @ 1250fps,
which is upper mid-range velocity and good practice ammo if you don't reload. My regional Cabelas always keeps it stocked, and they typically have one or two of the Sig 10mm pistols out on the shelf. They also stock Buffalo Bore 10mm, one of so-called "Boutique" makers. They've had some CorBon 10mm too, but not for a while. I haven't seen them stock DT 10mm but they did have another type of DT handgun ammo in stock. It's a shame you don't see Underwood 10mm loads on the shelves, although one of my LGS owners would order a case and stock it if I asked. Been a customer of his for 30-yrs.
Yeah, no problem.

On Sig's 10mm ammo, it's proving to be quite popular with 10mm fans who don't, or can't, reload. I've got about 500-rds of the 180gn FMJ ammo stocked for use over the summer, when I typically have less time to sit in my basement and reload. [color=#00ff00]And yes, I've used the Sig brass to load up rounds. It's fine, on par with Starline.
[/color]

Exactly what I wanted to hear. I've always had good results with Starline Brass, in every caliber.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:50:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
10mm was a FLOP when it was developed, certainly hasn't gotten any better!  Solution to a problem that doesn't exist!  Go 9mm, don't look back!  Be Smart!
View Quote
Sure it has gotten better, just look at the wide range of loads you can make for the 10mm. It can be loaded as mild as 40 S&W or a hot 10mm load. I don't see that type of versatility in the 9mm given the lesser capacity and operating pressure levels.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:57:35 PM EDT
[#4]
No Not worth it. Buy 45 Super for your 1911 and call it good. Just as much power and just need to swap some springs. Easy enough even a penguin could do it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 8:29:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
No Not worth it. Buy 45 Super for your 1911 and call it good. Just as much power and just need to swap some springs. Easy enough even a penguin could do it.
View Quote
No, less capacity, and even less availability than 10mm.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 10:49:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
instant interchangeability with common an inexpensive ammo, and plinking ammo is everywhere.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 8:28:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
[1] instant interchangeability with common an inexpensive ammo, and [2] plinking ammo is everywhere.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
[1] instant interchangeability with common an inexpensive ammo, and [2] plinking ammo is everywhere.
Yes on [1]; definitely NO on [2], if by "plinking ammo" you're referring to .45 Super.

Now, if you meant .45acp for "plinking," then yes, that's widely available, but so is casual plinking ammo for the 10mm. It's called the .40S&W.

I have a spare .40 barrel for both my G20 and G29. Drop them in when I want to shoot "light-n-fluffy," then swap them back out for the 10mm tubes when I'm ready to pound real-deal, high-n-hard 10mm ammo down range, which you can find everywhere as compared to the rarified .45Super.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:10:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

instant interchangeability with common an inexpensive ammo, and plinking ammo is everywhere.
View Quote
I've already got that with my 10mm Glock 21
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:52:12 PM EDT
[#9]
So do I, at the expense of two springs. 45 Super and REAL 10mm are the same price range for cost of ammo.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 8:59:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Even better, get both like I did.

.45 ACP Tacops 1911 and 10mm Tacops 1911.  Other than the recoil and the size of the hole in the barrel you can't tell which is which.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 9:09:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Even better, get both like I did.

.45 ACP Tacops 1911 and 10mm Tacops 1911.  Other than the recoil and the size of the hole in the barrel you can't tell which is which.
View Quote
Get both; I agree
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 9:11:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Get both; I agree
http://i.imgur.com/lck1V1U.jpg?1
View Quote
LOL, or all 3.  I have a G20sf, too.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:15:46 AM EDT
[#13]
What kind of bullets and velocities are you 10mm Koolaid Drinkin' Yahoos getting?

I don't usually mix the Koolaid to full strength in the stock barrel of my G20.  I am happy with a 180gr XTP at 1250.  I will go to 1350 in the barrels with better chamber support.

I am open to suggestions for new flavors, though.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 1:05:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What kind of bullets and velocities are you 10mm Koolaid Drinkin' Yahoos getting?
View Quote
The load I like right now is 165gr Zero JHP with 9 grains of power pistol. Chrono out of a 6" is 1340fps average. Quickload says it's 28k psi (37kpsi is max for 10mm). Reasonable recoil but not too much so it's fun to shoot at the range. The pressure increases really quickly after that and doesn't give you much more velocity, 10 grains being 35k psi and 1420fps.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 1:55:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I don't usually mix the Koolaid to full strength in the stock barrel of my G20.  I am happy with a 180gr XTP at 1250.  I will go to 1350 in the barrels with better chamber support.

I am open to suggestions for new flavors, though.
View Quote
Not loading it much hotter than you.
9.3 gr of IMR 800-X under a 180gr Hornady XTP gets me 1300fps from my S&W 610 6.5-inch
9.0 gr of IMR 800-X under a 200gr Hornday XTP gets me 1250fps from my S&W 610 6.5-inch.
Does a nice job on the whitetail deer.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 1:57:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a lifetime supply of 9mm and .45ACP brass, and I reload both.  I don't have a single piece of 10mm brass.  

It is definitely not worth it to me.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 3:38:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The load I like right now is 165gr Zero JHP with 9 grains of power pistol. Chrono out of a 6" is 1340fps average. Quickload says it's 28k psi (37kpsi is max for 10mm). Reasonable recoil but not too much so it's fun to shoot at the range. The pressure increases really quickly after that and doesn't give you much more velocity, 10 grains being 35k psi and 1420fps.
View Quote
Groovy.  For some reason I have never tried lighter than 180gr bullets in my 10mm.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 3:39:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Not loading it much hotter than you.
9.3 gr of IMR 800-X under a 180gr Hornady XTP gets me 1300fps from my S&W 610 6.5-inch
9.0 gr of IMR 800-X under a 200gr Hornday XTP gets me 1250fps from my S&W 610 6.5-inch.
Does a nice job on the whitetail deer.
View Quote
Do you find 800-x consistent?  It metered badly the last time I tried it so I put it in the back of the powder rotation.  I would guess you weigh each load?
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 3:49:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Do you find 800-x consistent?  It metered badly the last time I tried it so I put it in the back of the powder rotation.  I would guess you weigh each load?
View Quote
Yeah it meters like corn flakes.  I usually only load these in small batches, 50-100rds so I have a dipper that get me to about 8.5 grs and then I trickle in the remaining.  Slow but I only load these loads once ever year or so.  If you weigh each load you do get pretty consistent velocity as a result.  They pretty much only get used for hunting.  For plinking I just use my 40S&W ammo that gets cranked in volume on my 650XL.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 4:42:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yeah it meters like corn flakes.  I usually only load these in small batches, 50-100rds so I have a dipper that get me to about 8.5 grs and then I trickle in the remaining.  Slow but I only load these loads once ever year or so.  If you weigh each load you do get pretty consistent velocity as a result.  They pretty much only get used for hunting.  For plinking I just use my 40S&W ammo that gets cranked in volume on my 650XL.
View Quote
I am going to give 800X another go then.

I have been pretty much addicted to Blue Dot for too long.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 6:48:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have a lifetime supply of 9mm and .45ACP brass, and I reload both.  I don't have a single piece of 10mm brass.  
It is definitely not worth it to me.
View Quote
Well, aren't you a special little snowflake.    Great to hear, dudenal.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 10:55:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Here's a chart for 10mm muzzle energy........the Glock 29 has about a 4" barrel IIRC and that chart shows it to be pretty powerful.

Link
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 12:56:32 PM EDT
[#23]
I ordered a couple different brands of JHP 135 grain bullets that I'm going to try out. The Rainier 135 plated aren't hollow point, so the shaft is too short to seat straight in the case. It always ends up a little lopsided which won't chamber most of the time. Nosler makes a not too insanely priced 135 with a longer shaft so I'll give it a try. I'll update with a larger fireball picture if I can get it going. It'll allow me to go from 9 gr of PP to 12.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 3:13:54 PM EDT
[#24]
I have been shooting the sig ammo out of my delta elite and my g20 flawlessly. The g20 is now my go to woods gun unless I am in Ak , then I have me 44
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 3:15:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I am going to give 800X another go then.

I have been pretty much addicted to Blue Dot for too long.
View Quote
Funny, I found 800x was best used in 10mm too.   The metering variation in smaller charges was too much to contend with.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top