Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2017 5:43:30 PM EDT
I seem to do it much less when I'm not under a covered structure.   Would that make a difference?  It just seems like a pattern I noticed.  Last time I shot my G26 I was under a cover and I definitely struggled with left.  Yesterday I shot at a different range and I didn't shoot left at all.  

Maybe it's the ammo, but maybe there is something to that theory.......

I also shot my M9 to the left that same time I shot my G26 under the cover.  And yesterday I didn't.....

12 yards with the M9.   My other targets with the G26 looked pretty much the same.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 6:20:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe there was a slight breeze to the left.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 7:21:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, there's always wind at my range though.  Almost never a time when there's not.  Not sure which way it was going yesterday.  But I don't think at the distances I'm noticing that the wind will play a part.  We're talking 25 meters and under.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 7:21:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:12:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Low left?

You're right handed.

Typically it comes from "jerking" the trigger.

Left handed...low right.

The harder the trigger pull, the more pronounced.

When I switched my Glock 26 to a New York Trigger, I noticed this occurring
View Quote

I've found that the left problem has more to do with the trigger finger pushing the trigger to the side, put more finger on the trigger and pull straight to the rear.

Or not enough support hand. Grip your left hand harder
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:24:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Stick more of your finger in the trigger, try to press the mag release.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:36:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I've seen that advice from Pat MacNamara and have heard it other times.  I wasn't shooting it left yesterday and I was actually using left finger on the trigger.  PLUS, I can't get more finger on the trigger than my first joint.   This is the thing about Glocks that sort of.....  irritates me.  And other people act like everyone's body should just conform to a Glock.  But my trigger finger only fits in that trigger gaurd in a very small window.  The more I stick it in there, the more it rubs on the lower part of the trigger guard and the upper side of the frame.

That being said, I shoot my G26 left way less than I did my G19.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:40:48 PM EDT
[#7]
The most probable explanation is a trigger control issue, as has been noted by others.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:47:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, don't do this.

Put your finger print on the trigger.

Make a distinct hook with your finger in order to keep it off of the frame.

Press rearward and maintain a grip that keeps you from disturbing your sights.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:59:06 AM EDT
[#9]
If you notice a consistent pattern ( group location changes every time you shoot from under cover versus in the open) it can be caused by how light hits your sights in the different conditions. Precision shooters will notice differences or make sight adjustments ( windage and or elevation) on bright days versus overcast days
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:17:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you notice a consistent pattern ( group location changes every time you shoot from under cover versus in the open) it can be caused by how light hits your sights in the different conditions. Precision shooters will notice differences or make sight adjustments ( windage and or elevation) on bright days versus overcast days
View Quote

This is what I was kind of thinking too.  But I didn't want to also rule out my own issues.  Could be a combo of both.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:40:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
This definitely is a phenomenon, that's why many NM pistols have blacked out, serrated, sights. Less chance for glare and varied lighting effecting your POI.

You'd really have to isolate your shooting down to this one factor, and it affects windage mostly.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 2:03:42 AM EDT
[#12]
If all that changed was whether there was cover, I'll say you have a flinch. You're reacting not just to the firearm recoiling in your hands but the concussion. Under cover, even outdoors, that concussion is to some extent trapped. Do you double up ear pro?  

Don't listen to all this BS about too much or too little trigger finger. Put as much finger on the trigger that allows you to pull straight back. Personally, I think you should put whatever amount of finger that happens naturally for you and work to make sure you can get consistent, linear pull with that. I want my grip and trigger and everything to be comfortable and repeatable.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 8:27:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

No, don't do this.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, don't do this.

The point to recommending more finger on the trigger is because a lot of people who use their pad are pushing the trigger to the left.

For me I need as much finger as possible and almost try to hook my finger and pull the trigger to the right. I don't think about it now but there was a learning curve.

When I'm RSOing and somebody starts bitching their Glock is shooting left I ask if I can shoot a few rounds. Every single time it's dead on for me.

After 5 minutes of explains more trigger finger and more grip with the left hand they are dead on as well.

There may be other paths to the goal but more finger and grip is a pretty good start.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:16:37 AM EDT
[#14]
While I agree with the shooting left.... support hand, finger placement... I tend to shoot much better groups outside compared to an indoor range. I blame the low lighting indoors and  straining to see my target.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 11:44:18 AM EDT
[#15]
You should never be focusing on the target wolf. Your sights should be super sharp and the target a fuzzy blob at all times. And always when looking for where shots are landing in between strings of fire never strain eyes to see where the holes are- go to the target or bring it back to you ( my indoor range has a rail system with targets you can bring back to the line at the flick of a switch) or use a spotting scope/ binoculars
The issue with looking for bullet holes on paper is two fold:
1) as you mentioned you are straining your eyes at distance which is not good
2) I have as a result of frequently checking for impact with the naked eye shooters start to subconsciously look over the sights to the target when shooting a very bad habit to create
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 2:49:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You should never be focusing on the target wolf. Your sights should be super sharp and the target a fuzzy blob at all times. And always when looking for where shots are landing in between strings of fire never strain eyes to see where the holes are- go to the target or bring it back to you ( my indoor range has a rail system with targets you can bring back to the line at the flick of a switch) or use a spotting scope/ binoculars
2) I have as a result of frequently checking for impact with the naked eye shooters start to subconsciously look over the sights to the target when shooting a very bad habit to create
View Quote

I don't disagree with what you're saying in theory.  BUT, inside or under a covered range, there is way less light on the sights themselves.  Which makes it harder to see them.  

And as far as target focus, front sight focus.......  When you get older and your eyes aren't so good, it's not that simple any more.  My front sight is barely ever super crisp.  If I try to focus all of my attention to it, the rest of the world becomes so blurry that I won't hit anything.  I've actually begun shooting more of a target focus at times.  I actually just don't try and focus so hard on the front sight and just let the blurriness be where the blurriness is going to be.  But having said, when I'm outside, EVERYTHING is a heck of a lot clearer.  Because there's more light.  That seems pretty understandable.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 2:53:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The point to recommending more finger on the trigger is because a lot of people who use their pad are pushing the trigger to the left.

For me I need as much finger as possible and almost try to hook my finger and pull the trigger to the right. I don't think about it now but there was a learning curve.

When I'm RSOing and somebody starts bitching their Glock is shooting left I ask if I can shoot a few rounds. Every single time it's dead on for me.

After 5 minutes of explains more trigger finger and more grip with the left hand they are dead on as well.

There may be other paths to the goal but more finger and grip is a pretty good start.
View Quote

I got to thinking about what you said earlier and remembered I was focusing more on it that day.  More than I usually do.  And that was my support hand grip.  I was watching a vid the other day and the guy suggested that you want to really squeeze hard with your left hand.  To help the gun not move. i believe he actually used the term a "crushing grip"  And I thought, hmmmmm,..   So I focused on that a little bit more when shooting and that could be one of the things that helped.

Some of it could be recoil management because I had my XD45 with me.  And man I can't shoot that well at all.  My groups open up a lot more.  I couldn't shoot my M&P 45 for crap either.  I swear I'm just going to quit 45, except if I ever get a decent 1911.  I used to be able to shoot the ones I had pretty darn good, but I'm 1911less now.  But these double stack striker 45s, I just suck with.  I have tried different types of ammo too and I do notice when I shoot the lighter bullets in 45, I do a little better.  So I'm sure I'm sturggling with recoil management.  And IMHO, that's just because I don't shoot as much as I used to or want to.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 2:58:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree totally, I do try and keep my front sight the most crisp in my sight line... but as stated above.. it is getting harder and harder....
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 3:21:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Could be the increased noise from under a roof or top cover making you flinch.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 3:25:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Could be the increased noise from under a roof or top cover making you flinch.
View Quote

This. Make sure you're wearing plugs and good muffs.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 4:55:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Could be, but I'm not really ear squeemish.  From what I can tell.  It's a viable issue, but I don't really think it's my issue.  Next time I shoot under there I'll try to remember to notice if the noise is making me jump.  It's possible.    But I would think flinching from sound would have more erratic results than just low left or left.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 4:21:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

No, don't do this.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, don't do this.

The 'pad on the trigger face' is old 1911 mantra that doesn't apply to a 24oz gun with a 72oz trigger and a frame so thick your trigger finger is axleing around the frame to get to the trigger.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 8:20:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

No, don't do this.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, don't do this.

Maybe I should have said; give this a try, it works for me when shooting fast\in competition.

It's impossible to be able to tell someone what will work & what won't.

Different styles for different people.

Hooked finger for me is a waste of time, but not for all.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:58:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Give this diagnostic chart a try, it helped me...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 4:39:21 PM EDT
[#25]
LOL......

Hey now...  

I guess according to my target I posted I only suck part of the time.  LOL.

Don't anybody need to believe me but I was shooting fast at that target.  No slow fire stuff.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:29:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Could be, but I'm not really ear squeemish.  From what I can tell.  It's a viable issue, but I don't really think it's my issue.  Next time I shoot under there I'll try to remember to notice if the noise is making me jump.  It's possible.    But I would think flinching from sound would have more erratic results than just low left or left.
View Quote

Randomly mix in some snap caps in your mag next time you shoot indoors.  If the pistol dives you're anticipating/flinching.

How to cure it?  Don't fucking ask me.  I shoot 12K rounds a year and dry fire religiously and I still do it.  It's better but I still do it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:37:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Yeah, I gotta get some snap caps to work on the tap rack bang too.  And I'll see how much I'm anticipating.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top