Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2017 2:16:48 PM EDT
I'm really liking my S&W shield, but I'm finding the grip is a little slippery.  I'm considering adding either a Pachmayr grip sleeve or some of the Talon grip tape.  Any recommendations or experiences using either of these grip improvements on a subcompact pistol?

Grip sleeve looks easier to remove if I don't like it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:36:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm really liking my S&W shield, but I'm finding the grip is a little slippery.  I'm considering adding either a Pachmayr grip sleeve or some of the Talon grip tape.  Any recommendations or experiences using either of these grip improvements on a subcompact pistol?

Grip sleeve looks easier to remove if I don't like it.
View Quote

Are you primarily looking to increase traction or surface area of the grip?
I've used talon grips on a similar sized gun (G43) and they did very little for me once my hands got really sweaty.
I'd recommend stippling if traction is desired.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:40:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Talon Grips peel right off.  

I've got Talon Grips on three of my Steyrs, and they work great.  Where a grip sleeve only covers part of the grip, the Talon Grips are designed to cover all or most of the grip for most handguns.

Many grip sleeves that I've seen only go as high as the bottom of the trigger guard.  With a Talon Grip, your hand makes contact with a lot more material, resulting in a more even grasp of the handgun.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:42:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I wasn't a fan of the Talons, so I bought some pre-cut rubbery equivalent on Etsy for $13 and trimmed it to follow the contour of the rear backstrap.
I also feathered the edges a bit with a razor so it would be less likely to snag and peel.
I've been carrying and shooting it for a few months like this now with zero issues.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/245188885/smith-wesson-mp-shield-940-custom-rubber?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=shield%20grip&ref=sr_gallery_3

Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:45:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Talons came on a glock 43 and I recently put the $10 Tractiongrips on a LCP, both seem to work well and it really helped the lcp.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:05:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I use Talon rubber grips on some of my pistols but the Agrip is far far superior. More expensive and harder to install but they aren't slippery at all and the more you sweat the better the grip. All the pistols that I carry especially in warm weather have Agrip. They look like a black velvet Elvis picture but damn they are comfortable and work amazing! If you get them just use a straight edge razor and take your time installing them...you won't be sorry
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:08:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Would ranger bands work?  Get a nice fatty mtn bike tube and cut some sections.  Slip  one or 2 over the grip. 
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 5:40:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Are you primarily looking to increase traction or surface area of the grip?
I've used talon grips on a similar sized gun (G43) and they did very little for me once my hands got really sweaty.
I'd recommend stippling if traction is desired.
View Quote

Primarily traction.  I wear Mechanix gloves in a Medium, so the grip size is a little small but okay for me.  I do find the stock grips to be a little slippery for my tastes.   Stippling is possible in the long run, but right now my budget is more geared towards a cheaper interim solution.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 7:29:13 PM EDT
[#8]
As mentioned above, the Agrip maybe something for you to consider for about a $30 modification without going the route of the sand paper type coverings.  Better traction than the rubberized offerings of others and I likely would have bought it but I am admittedly cheap.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:14:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I vote stippling
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 8:31:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Stipple it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top