Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2017 7:47:22 PM EDT
I just had it out for another session and it ate up another 300 rounds, trouble free. I forgot the total round count now but I think it's close to 800 with something like a failure to go fully into battery one time...I can pop holes in a bulls-eye at 20 yards so easy with it, and it is a joy to shoot.

Such an underrated little gun.

Just thought I'd pass it along. If you come across one and the price is right, give it a try.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:57:37 PM EDT
[#1]
We looked at and shot a bunch of different pistols, and my wife chose the CCP as her carry piece. We have probably half the number rounds thru it as you do thru yours, with zero malfunctions of any kind. Very accurate too.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:03:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We looked at and shot a bunch of different pistols, and my wife chose the CCP as her carry piece. We have probably half the number rounds thru it as you do thru yours, with zero malfunctions of any kind. Very accurate too.
View Quote

That's how I ended up with this one- for my wife, but I'm really in love with it.  The accuracy is what really gets me. Just so easy to shoot well. With all the griping I've seen about the trigger, I just don't get it.

I guess the main point is I'd like to encourage people to try one out for yourself and be happily surprised.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:05:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd certainly like to see a comparison between this pistol and the PPS, which I thought was a heck of a nice pistol.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:33:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Im glad you like it.

A good friend of mine has a PPQ that i really enjoy. My wife has trouble shooting my glocks and hates them but loved the PPQ so at the gun show she decided she HAS to have a ccp.

If it shoots as good as the ppq we may end up with 2 of them.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:59:12 PM EDT
[#5]
The CCP, being made by Umarex at Arnsberg, and not by Walther at Ulm, by all accounts is very hit or miss reliability wise.

If you get a good one then fine, but it's just as likely you will get a bad one, unlike the Ulm built P99 AS, PPQ and PPS, which have been good to go for the vast majority of owners.  Of course all makes and models have an issue from time to time, but the Umarex built "Walther" pistols are generally far more problematic than the Ulm built guns are.

Add the fact that the CCP needs a tool for basic field stripping, and it becomes a "NO GO" for me.

And yes, I've fired one, and it worked OK, but it's certainly no better than my PPS, and a far, far cry from my P99s.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:30:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The CCP, being made by Umarex at Arnsberg, and not by Walther at Ulm, by all accounts is very hit or miss reliability wise.

If you get a good one then fine, but it's just as likely you will get a bad one, unlike the Ulm built P99 AS, PPQ and PPS, which have been good to go for the vast majority of owners.  Of course all makes and models have an issue from time to time, but the Umarex built "Walther" pistols are generally far more problematic than the Ulm built guns are.

Add the fact that the CCP needs a tool for basic field stripping, and it becomes a "NO GO" for me.

And yes, I've fired one, and it worked OK, but it's certainly no better than my PPS, and a far, far cry from my P99s.
View Quote

None of that hold-your-nose Umarex smarm matters when I have a good looking, great feeling, sweet shooting pistol backed by the Walther name and warranty. Like I said I've heard the stories, and you back up my thread title 100%

I disprove your "by all accounts" statement with this very thread.

The field strip tool thing is a NO CARE for me when you look at this pistol's intended purpose. It's a concealed carry gun, not a duty gun or service weapon.  I have never found a need to field strip ever, that's EVER while carrying concealed in public. With any gun ever. I'm just saying.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:07:52 PM EDT
[#7]
As I said the one I rented shot well, but didn't do anything any better than a PPS.

It is the second most problematic pistol sold under the Walther banner after the P22 though, so do keep an eye on it.

As for the take down tool, any gun that needs a special tool just to take it down for routine maintenance is a poor design.  There is no reason for that in this day and age.

I truly hope it works out well for you.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:39:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I have to admit, my consideration of the CCP went like this:

"Is it a real Walther, or an Umarex 'Walther' ?"

"Umarex, the same folks who made that P-22 that's sitting in the back of the safe, too crappy to even sell in good conscience."

"Hey, those Springfields look nice...."

Glad yours is working, but it seems to be the exception to the rule.

Larry
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:58:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I got 1 for my gf 2 weeks ago.  We went out and she shot it for the first time (her first semi, she usually shoots revolvers).  At 10 yards she was shooting great groups.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:39:56 AM EDT
[#10]
What ammo are you using in it, OP?   The last gas piston gun I had didn't work well with plated or coated bullets.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:52:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Well any fixed barrel gun should be a laser. The issue with the CCP is their attempts to overcome physics. Typically, a fixed barrel pistol is a direct blowback. But something needs to slow the slide down, so a heavy recoil spring usually comes with it. The CCP went P7 style with a gas piston to assist. The problem is, they wanted it to be easy to rack. So now you can't have a stiff recoil spring, so you're (presumably) enlarging the gas port. Okay, so you're slowing the slide now, but how are you getting it back to battery and feeding reliably with a weak recoil spring?  For a range gun, I don't mind a little finicky. But the CCP is supposed to be a carry pistol. That's gotta work every time, all the time.

I was curious when they announced it, because I like the idea, but I think HK did it right.

I'm glad you enjoy the pistol, but you said yourself you had failure to go into battery. And it should group great by the nature of the fixed barrel.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:57:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
As I said the one I rented shot well, but didn't do anything any better than a PPS.

It is the second most problematic pistol sold under the Walther banner after the P22 though, so do keep an eye on it.

As for the take down tool, any gun that needs a special tool just to take it down for routine maintenance is a poor design.  There is no reason for that in this day and age.

I truly hope it works out well for you.
View Quote

I keep reading about problems with the P22 but just read the other day that it's the top selling semi .22 on the market.  It can't be that bad. I think with the internet somebody gets a bad one and everyone knows about it in 15 minutes.

For me the CCP is the best feeling ccw on the market and I would love to have one.  The gas piston recoil system really intrigues me.  Everything about it screams gentleman.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:08:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Just g00gle P22 slide fractures/cracks/breakage.  Also take a trip to the WalterForum and have a peek there.

Just because something sells in large amounts does not make it good, take "Lite" beer for example.

And with this, I'm out.

Enjoy your Umarex, I hope it works for you.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:25:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Where are you getting the reliability information?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top