Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2017 3:57:02 AM EDT
What would everyone recommend as the best universal sight pusher? Looking for one that works well with all handguns that won't break the bank.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:56:54 AM EDT
[#1]
You've got three options.

Spend between $275 and $325 on a very high quality sight pusher like the one made by Maryland Gun works.

Spend $170 on one from Wheeler Engineering.

Spend $40-$50 on one that will get the job done a little slower, with a bit more care required in the set up.  

If you run a shop, spend the $300. If you're just working on 1 or 2 of your own pistols per year, $40-$50 makes more sense. If you're just doing your own but have more money to burn get the Wheeler Engineering sight pusher.

I bought one from D.D Machine off Amazon for $44.  It's made in the US, and for $44 the quality is fine.  It uses the fluffy side of stick on velcro to providing padding between the blocks and frame. The major limitation is that you need to pull the "pusher" block from the head side of the bolt, rather than the nut side of the bolt, so if you over shoot, you need to remove the slide and reverse the direction of the set up. You also need to be careful in the set up to ensure proper alignment and positive engagement to ensure the slide doesn't rotate while you are pushing the sight.   It turns a 5 minute job into a 15 minute job, but it gets the job done and it comes with blocks that will fit most slides.

D.D. Machine sight pusher
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:29:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Spend between $275 and $325 on a very high quality sight pusher like the one made by Maryland Gun works.

Spend $40-$50 on one that will get the job done a little slower, with a bit more care required in the set up.  

If you run a shop, spend the $300. If you're just working on 1 or 2 of your own pistols per year, $40-$50 makes more sense. If you're just doing your own but have more money to burn get the Wheeler Engineering sight pusher.

I bought one from D.D Machine off Amazon for $44.  It's made in the US, and for $44 the quality is fine.  It uses the fluffy side of stick on velcro to providing padding between the blocks and frame. The major limitation is that you need to pull the "pusher" block from the head side of the bolt, rather than the nut side of the bolt, so if you over shoot, you need to remove the slide and reverse the direction of the set up. You also need to be careful in the set up to ensure proper alignment and positive engagement to ensure the slide doesn't rotate while you are pushing the sight.   It turns a 5 minute job into a 15 minute job, but it gets the job done and it comes with blocks that will fit most slides.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81528%2BLMvbL._SL1500_.jpg

View Quote

I have this one as well and it works great!  I have swapped maybe 30-40 sights with it for my pistols and friends of mine.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 12:09:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 6:42:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Flame away but get the NCStar one

http://www.opticsplanet.com/ncstar-universal-pistol-rear-sight-tool.html

I've owned the mgw glock versions. This one is good to go
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:25:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Vice + non marring vice grips + non marring punch + hammer. Best part is it works with all makes and models.

Just did two glocks last week this way. I can't believe I ever let myself get raped by a gunsmith for installing sights, or ever considered buying a sight pusher. It was stupid easy and didn't buger anything up (unusual for me)
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:31:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Vice + non marring vice grips + non marring punch + hammer. Best part is it works with all makes and models.

Just did two glocks last week this way. I can't believe I ever let myself get raped by a gunsmith for installing sights, or ever considered buying a sight pusher. It was stupid easy and didn't buger anything up (unusual for me)
View Quote

Good luck installing tritium sights with that method - you'll need it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 4:02:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is the exact one I was mainly considering. Looks like good quality. Your experience with it have been good?
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 4:03:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Let me know how you like it when you get a chance to try it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 4:04:22 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

If you don't like a question being asked, please just move on. I don't get on here and read every thread ever created. It's easier to just ask and check my own posts for answers.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 4:05:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I have this one as well and it works great!  I have swapped maybe 30-40 sights with it for my pistols and friends of mine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81528%2BLMvbL._SL1500_.jpg

I had this one for a little while, hardest damn thing ever to use. Hated it. It finally seized up on me and I tossed it in the trash.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:53:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This is the exact one I was mainly considering. Looks like good quality. Your experience with it have been good?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. It's been good so far. Done czs and glocks with ease
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:00:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Good luck installing tritium sights with that method - you'll need it.
View Quote

They were both Trijicon HD's. They seem to be working just fine. Did the sight pusher company rep tell you that? Because I am pretty sure if my tritium sights can handle the recoil from my 10mm handloads, they can handle being tapped by a nylon punch and rubber mallet.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 5:23:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought the Wheeler tool. I've used it to install Trijicon HD's on my P30, Shield and a buddy's G19. So far it's worked well and I haven't had any issues.

https://smile.amazon.com/Wheeler-Engineering-Armorers-Handgun-Sight/dp/B01B3NU0U2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487366348&sr=8-1&keywords=wheeler sight tool&tag=vglnk-c102-20
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top