Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2017 2:35:52 PM EDT
I was reading here in the "High round count" thread and was going to post this there. But decided it might be OT a bit there and I'd just start a new thread....  

I'll admit I don't get out and shoot a lot, but I do own a few Glocks. I live in a rural area on some acreage and can shoot safely in my own back yard and don't have to go to the range. 

I do have a comment, though, about a new Glock Gen4 single-stack model 43 9mm I recently purchased. First of all, I've taken my other Glocks (all gen 2 or 3) apart many times and never had this same issue; but they all have the single stage spring. When I took the model 43 apart to clean, and put the new style dual spring back in and reinstalled the slide on the frame, something didn't line up just right (I'm guessing) with the spring and once the slide was back on the frame, the front of the spring shaft was sticking out the front of the slide an inch or more. I knew this wasn't right, and when I tried to remove the slide assembly from the frame, it seemed like it was stuck and would not come off the slide. I kept working with it and I had a hard time getting the slide back off to see what was wrong with the spring. I wish I had taken a pic (worth a 1000 words) so you all would know what I was talking about. Also, this is a new gun with less than 50 rounds fired through it. 

I finally got the slide back off the frame, with a lot of effort due to working against the fully recoiled spring inside the frame, and repositioned the spring in the slide. It went back together normally after reassembly and all was well after that. However, it has shaken my confidence a bit in the new gen4 Glock 43. It could have been my bad in not having the spring in the correct position initially when reassembling, but still, none of my other Glocks have ever done that.

I thought about contacting Glock about the incident, but figured it was my error for not have the new style double spring installed correctly to start with.

Anyone else ever had an issue like this? Or is it just fluke occurrence...

Thanks in advance for any advice/opinions.   
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 2:40:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Make sure you seat the spring against the barrel squarely and firmly.  If it is on the lower ledges when you try and rack the slide back on it hangs up in the frame instead of catching on the locking block like it should.  Neighbor did this to his and was tripping balls and just had to show him where the spring has to rest for reassembly.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 2:50:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the comments, EdgecrusherXES. I figured it was something like that. 

Like I said though, this has never happened before on any of my other single-spring style Glocks. I guess that new style double spring is a bit more position sensitive in terms of reassembly. I'll admit, like your neighbor, it did scare me a bit.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 5:41:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the comments, EdgecrusherXES. I figured it was something like that. 

Like I said though, this has never happened before on any of my other single-spring style Glocks. I guess that new style double spring is a bit more position sensitive in terms of reassembly. I'll admit, like your neighbor, it did scare me a bit.

Thanks!
View Quote

Mine does the same thing if it is on the second ledge not snugged up to the barrel it drags and will not go on properly.  The G43 is not technically a GenX it is kind of it whole own pistol.  It has a lot of similarities to the other Glocks but it is its own beast.  Lots of pistols other than Glocks you have to have the recoil rod in the right place to assemble it take for instance the 1911 if the rod is not placed correctly it will not go together.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 7:37:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Mine does the same thing if it is on the second ledge not snugged up to the barrel it drags and will not go on properly.  The G43 is not technically a GenX it is kind of it whole own pistol.  It has a lot of similarities to the other Glocks but it is its own beast.  Lots of pistols other than Glocks you have to have the recoil rod in the right place to assemble it take for instance the 1911 if the rod is not placed correctly it will not go together.
View Quote
Yes, that makes sense. 

I think what messed me up initially is that when I placed the recoil spring in the semi-curricular grove in the barrel, the spring looked like it was slanted/crooked when I looked at it (before I put the slide back on the frame). So, I adjusted the rear of the spring a bit so it would appear straight in the slide assembly; that is likely what caused it to get misaligned inside the frame when put the slide back on. Since that incident with the recoil spring, I now realize that even though the dual spring assembly appears to sit at an angle initially (when in the proper grove) when you put the slide on and rack the slide, the spring positions itself properly against the recoil spring stop in the frame. At least that's my theory...  

However, I do feel better about things now. 

Thanks again. 
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:04:43 AM EDT
[#5]
The occurrence is not unique to that model.   It happens.   Next time,  just get it apart quickly as to not waste time.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:24:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Normal with all dual recoil spring Glocks if you don't line it up right.  Some of mine do it too.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:10:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Attachment Attached File
you mean like this? 
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:33:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, like that... except the barrel was not sticking out like that, just the recoil spring. 

Like I said, I can understand that happening if the spring is not positioned/lined up correctly when reinstalling the slide assembly, but none of my other Glocks with the single-stage spring have ever done that, or anything close. I guess this glitch happens specifically on the newer gen models with the double recoil spring style. Maybe Glock needs to take another look at that double recoil spring design and critique as necessary. I hope it never does it once it's positioned correctly in the slide assembly and the slide goes on okay. Now I'm paranoid... 
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:09:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't be. Once it's on it on. You'd have 10 posts a day about it if it ever was a real problem.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top