Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/7/2017 7:06:41 PM EDT
I've been drooling over this one for a little while. Should i? Compact or full?

I do feel their street value should be closer to 500. That's the only thing holding me back.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 7:16:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I've read nothing but praise about this gun, I'd go full size if it were me...
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 7:18:50 PM EDT
[#2]
The compact appears to be somewhat close to the size of a glock 17. The full size is p226 size, I believe.
Can't get my hands on either so kinda difficult to decide.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 9:01:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had mine for almost a year and it runs great.

As we all know prices for any firearms range from cheap to expensive.  The REx Zero 1 is moderately priced, as well the mags, compared to other handguns that don't perform any better than the Rex.  The MAC tests and others have proven that as a fact.

I wish 2017 Corvette Z06s and Porsche 911 GTR3s cost $20,000 but they don't.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 9:38:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The compact appears to be somewhat close to the size of a glock 17. The full size is p226 size, I believe.
Can't get my hands on either so kinda difficult to decide.
View Quote

The G17 and p226 are nearly identical in size
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 10:27:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had mine for a few months now.  It is a very good shooter and the quality seems excellent.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 11:05:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Solid handgun, go for it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 8:01:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Are you going to use the rail?  If not, get a CZ999 for $300.  It is basically the exact gun without the ridiculous manual safety.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 11:28:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've had mine for almost a year and it runs great.

As we all know prices for any firearms range from cheap to expensive.  The REx Zero 1 is moderately priced as well the mags compared to other handguns that don't perform any better than the Rex.  The MAC tests and others have proven that as a fact.

I wish 2017 Corvette Z06s and Porsche 911 GTR3s cost $20,000 but they don't.
View Quote

The "testing" that MAC conducts "proves" little to nothing, the "tests" involve a non-scientific non-consistent (he even recognizes this) method and involve a whopping sample size of one and should definitely not be the sole basis of making a pistol purchase.
That being said I have seen and heard nothing but praise fro the Arex Zero 1 which "proves" more to me than a random test on a Youtube channel.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 11:54:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Not for the prices they're asking. I own a few high end Sigs, CZ's and even my Sig 226 E2, I only paid $600 used in excellent condition. To me, that price is too close to the real deal. Maybe at $400-450, but at close to $600, I'd take a CZ any day over a Rex.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 9:23:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Comparing used gun prices to new ones is pretty wishy washy.

I paid well less than MSRP for my Rex and a simple check around indicates one doesn't have to pay top-dollar for any firearm, unless you must have something really bad and have $$ to burn. And the Rex mags are the nicest pistol mags I've ever used and one can get them for a hair over $20 which is very reasonable.

I own several CZs also, and comparing them to a Rex is apples and oranges since they're set up differently than each other. And I'm planning on getting a CZ-10C. Variety is the spice of life.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 9:26:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The "testing" that MAC conducts "proves" little to nothing, the "tests" involve a non-scientific non-consistent (he even recognizes this) method and involve a whopping sample size of one and should definitely not be the sole basis of making a pistol purchase.
That being said I have seen and heard nothing but praise fro the Arex Zero 1 which "proves" more to me than a random test on a Youtube channel.
View Quote

Like I said there were "other" tests also.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 9:49:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Are you going to use the rail?  If not, get a CZ999 for $300.  It is basically the exact gun without the ridiculous manual safety.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/8/2017 9:52:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Look at Melania Trump, would you or wouldnt you?  Its the Melania Trump of the handgun world, sleek, sexy, and from Slovenia.  Id grab it by the magwell.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 10:26:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I paid well less than MSRP for my Rex and a simple check around indicates one doesn't have to pay top-dollar for any firearm, unless you must have something really bad and have $ to burn. And the Rex mags are the nicest pistol mags I've ever used and one can get them for a hair over $20 which is very reasonable.

I own several CZs also, and comparing them to a Rex is apples and oranges since they're set up differently than each other. And I'm planning on getting a CZ-10C. Variety is the spice of life.
View Quote

Why don't you post some links to these "well below retail" prices? I have not seen these for less than $500. Honestly, with the gun sales and prices in decline, I can't recommend a newcommer that is priced at mid to high $500's in todays market with other well established pistols costing less. Now, you may love the Rex, sure. Nothing wrong with that. But at the end of the day, it's still an expensive clone of other pistols. You can debate and try to convince others its not a Sig or it's not a CZ999. Slovenia was part of Yugoslavia and Slovenia stocked tons of CZ999's before the breakup. And it's clear that they couldn't design an original firearm, but borrowed heavily from their Serbian and German cousins. Now, a basic Sig 226 can be bought new for less than $700. Turkish and Italian companies churn out CZ clones for less than half the price of the original. What I'm saying is, if I'm buying a CZ999 clone, I'm not going to pay twice the price, and if it's a Sig clone, than it needs to cost twice as less or so. The Turks have done it, and Slovenia can too, but FIME is jacking up the price on these and selling them as some kind of premium pistols for more than some German imports who have a far higher production cost, and export cost when sold here.

In other words, I don't think it's worth the money they're asking. But you guys are free to pay whatever you think they're worth.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:04:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Buds had them for 570 and now they're 612 or so.

I'll probably wait a little while until they become more readily available and the price hopefully comes down.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 8:10:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Why don't you post some links to these "well below retail" prices? I have not seen these for less than $500. Honestly, with the gun sales and prices in decline, I can't recommend a newcommer that is priced at mid to high $500's in todays market with other well established pistols costing less. Now, you may love the Rex, sure. Nothing wrong with that. But at the end of the day, it's still an expensive clone of other pistols. You can debate and try to convince others its not a Sig or it's not a CZ999. Slovenia was part of Yugoslavia and Slovenia stocked tons of CZ999's before the breakup. And it's clear that they couldn't design an original firearm, but borrowed heavily from their Serbian and German cousins. Now, a basic Sig 226 can be bought new for less than $700. Turkish and Italian companies churn out CZ clones for less than half the price of the original. What I'm saying is, if I'm buying a CZ999 clone, I'm not going to pay twice the price, and if it's a Sig clone, than it needs to cost twice as less or so. The Turks have done it, and Slovenia can too, but FIME is jacking up the price on these and selling them as some kind of premium pistols for more than some German imports who have a far higher production cost, and export cost when sold here.

In other words, I don't think it's worth the money they're asking. But you guys are free to pay whatever you think they're worth.
View Quote
QFT
It's like Lionheart and the gussied up Daewoo DP51
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 10:54:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
<strong>Quoted:</strong>

I paid well less than MSRP for my Rex and a simple check around indicates one doesn't have to pay top-dollar for any firearm, unless you must have something really bad and have $ to burn. And the Rex mags are the nicest pistol mags I've ever used and one can get them for a hair over $20 which is very reasonable.

NIB 226 for under 700?

Where are those, that's a deal.

I've been thinking about a rex zero as a beater pistol, but only at around $500 since I remember when they could be had for under $500.  No night sights yet was the  main reason I haven't pulled the trigger.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:32:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

NIB 226 for under 700?

I've been thinking about a rex zero as a beater pistol, but only at around $500 since I remember when they could be had for under $500.  No night sights yet was the  main reason I haven't pulled the trigger.
View Quote

GA Gun Store had a Sig 226 for $719, so I was off by $20. But on gunbroker you can find very reasonable priced 226. And in 40cal. you CERTAINLY can find them even under $600.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 3:10:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Get it and report back here. I very nearly got one to celebrate the election. I still might get one as an understudy for my Sig 10MM
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 3:12:07 PM EDT
[#20]

GA Gun Store had a Sig 226 for $719, so I was off by $20. But on gunbroker you can find very reasonable priced 226. And in 40cal. you CERTAINLY can find them even under $600.
View All Quotes

NIB 226 for under 700?

.40 is on clearance everywhere but I still won't touch one.  The cheapest NIBs 226s I'm seeing on GB are still in the 800+ range.  I see used guns there for 700.

Unless you're willing to go .40 or DAK, or both, I don't know abotu 720 new.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 3:22:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

.40 is on clearance everywhere but I still won't touch one.  The cheapest NIBs 226s I'm seeing on GB are still in the 800+ range.  I see used guns there for 700.

View Quote

Not all deals are online. Mine was purchased locally at $700, which is a little over $100. You can look. I still think $150-200 over the Rex for a Sig with night sights is a better purchase, especially since a Sig will be valued more than a Rex. Also, I saw a Sig MK5 FDE on local board for $750 out the door.

Here is one for $789
E2 Sig 226

That's the first one I pulled up.

In any case, I don't mind paying more for a pistol, but the perceived value is just not there with the Rex. Now, you can argue all you want with me, but in the end, as I said earlier, I'm not willing to pay $550-600 for a Rex, but have no problem paying $600 for a CZ, or $500 for a Grand Power pistol which has a vastly superior trigger and firing mechanism.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 3:51:39 PM EDT
[#22]
I handled one and wasn't impressed at all.  They are asking WAAAAY too much for it.  It should be priced similarly to the Caniks and SARs like mentioned above.  I fully expect to see them being blown out for 3 bills or so by CDNN in the near future.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 4:43:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Not all deals are online. Mine was purchased locally at $700, which is a little over $100. You can look. I still think $150-200 over the Rex for a Sig with night sights is a better purchase, especially since a Sig will be valued more than a Rex. Also, I saw a Sig MK5 FDE on local board for $750 out the door.

Here is one for $789
<a href="https://www.slickguns.com/product/sig-sauer-226r9b-p226-9mm-e2-44-101-contrast-sights-poly-grip-blk-model-226-semi-automatic-p?mobile=true" target="_blank">E2 Sig 226</a>

In any case, I don't mind paying more for a pistol, but the perceived value is just not there with the Rex. Now, you can argue all you want with me, but in the end, as I said earlier, I'm not willing to pay $550-600 for a Rex, but have no problem paying $600 for a CZ, or $500 for a Grand Power pistol which has a vastly superior trigger and firing mechanism.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Here is one for $789
<a href="https://www.slickguns.com/product/sig-sauer-226r9b-p226-9mm-e2-44-101-contrast-sights-poly-grip-blk-model-226-semi-automatic-p?mobile=true" target="_blank">E2 Sig 226</a>

I've never seen a deal in person better than what I can get online.  Thus, I have not bought a gun from anywhere (you know what, or anything for that matter) local in 10 years.

Where I live now it is really bad---any in-store prices will be 200-300 higher than what you can get online in most cases.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 5:55:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Like I said there were "other" tests also.
View Quote

I guess i need to know what criteria are we utilizing for "perform any better" first but by all means please do show us these tests that unequivocally prove it as fact...
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 6:36:31 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a REX Zero 1 fullsize, have had it since somewhere around April or May of last year. I absolutely love the thing. I am not sure yet what to think about the compact, because I haven't handled one yet, but as soon as I can I plan to get one.

I would say that as long as a SIG P229/P226/2022 pistol fits your hands reasonably well, you will probably like this gun. The DA trigger on the REX is admittedly heavier than those of a typical DA/SA SIG, but it is still plenty manageable, and putting 2-3K rounds or so through the gun will lighten it up some too. The SA trigger is around 4-4.5 lbs (typical of this kind of gun) and has a fairly short, positive audible reset. Unlike most SIGs, the REX will allow you to carry it cocked-and-locked if you want to, that is the advantage of having the safety on a gun like this. You don't have to use the safety if you don't want to, you can carry it decocked in DA mode if you like.

I haven't seen one of these (yet) for sale locally in a shop where I live, I would try to find a low cost transfer dealer in your area if you can and either get it from Kvar or GB and have them ship to an FFL.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 6:42:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am going to try one last time to explain this to you. The safety is on there to give you the option to carry in SA mode, i.e., "cocked and locked". It is only an option. The CZ999 does not give you that option, because it doesn't have a manual safety. You don't have to use the safety on the REX Zero 1. You can carry the gun decocked in DA mode if you want to.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:29:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I guess i need to know what criteria are we utilizing for "perform any better" first but by all means please do show us these tests that unequivocally prove it as fact...
View Quote

Google is your friend. Besides MAC there's Hickok45, TTAG, plus test reports in the Am. Rifleman, Shooting Illustrated, TFB.

I didn't say the Rex performs better than other handguns, other than it sure did in the MAC test. The correct wording that you skillfully edited out is..."The REx Zero 1 is moderately priced, as well the mags, compared to other handguns that don't perform any better than the Rex. And the MAC test proved the Sig (nice gun) didn't perform any better, under identical test conditions.

The Am. Rifleman, Shooting Illustrated articles, MAC, Hickok45, TTAG. have indicated that if the Rex performs 100% and praised by the reviewers. Of course unless you have a handgun in a Ransom rest to test inherent accuracy (which I haven't seen done in any notable in that class) on any test then accuracy test are relative to the skill level of the shooter. One shooter maybe better than another with no fault of the firearms.

I think I've listed plenty of positive reviews for the Rex but since you apparently don't have any hands-on experience with it I'll take your unsubstantiated comments with a very small grain of salt.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:34:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Gunbroker if you've heard of it. $549 on the low end (and what I paid at my LGS) and several other being offered below the MSRP: $649.99 Maynerd.  I think $100 is "well below retail", but if you saw one at $500 that's a good deal. You should have bought one.

I don't have a problem with the CZ999. If it runs fine an fits into some ones budget go for it. I just think they're a more basic & cheaper clone of the Sigs as expected of Serb guns. It's pretty clear than the Slovenians knew they could & didn't easily better the CZ999.

But if you don't have any hands-on experience with the Rex, you have to be an idiot to say its an exact clone of the CZ999. But if you budget is $275 for a 9mm handgun I'd definitely go with a Canik vs. a CZ999.

Design features have been borrowed/copied from various handgun designs since handguns were invented. And improvements have been made.  Since both you & I like CZs its been said that CZ75s are a clone of the Browning HP, in some aspects. Case in point all other SA/DA pistols are clones of the Walther P38 since it had the first SA/DA trigger system, right?

Gunbroker doesn't have a new 226 below $879 that isn't a LE/MIL discount but maybe you're talking about used 226s. Or if you're claiming dealer wholesale prices please post links to new 226s for those that aren't MIL/LE qualified so they may want to take advantage of such a deal. I know my LGS that's a significant Sig dealer says they can't sell a new 226 for the prices you seem to be lucky to have.

Again since you've acknowledged you have ZERO experience with a Rex Zero. I'm sure others that are interested in the pistol will look to actual owners/users vs. your lack of knowledge but plenty of unsubstantiated opinions of the pistol so congrats.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:39:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Google is your friend. Besides MAC there's Hickok45, TTAG, plus test reports in the Am. Rifleman, Shooting Illustrated, TFB.

I didn't say the Rex performs better than other handguns, other than it sure did in the MAC test. The correct wording that you skillfully edited out is..."The REx Zero 1 is moderately priced, as well the mags, compared to other handguns that don't perform any better than the Rex. And the MAC test proved the Sig (nice gun) didn't perform any better, under identical test conditions.

The Am. Rifleman, Shooting Illustrated articles, MAC, Hickok45, TTAG. have indicated that if the Rex performs 100% and praised by the reviewers. Of course unless you have a handgun in a Ransom rest to test inherent accuracy (which I haven't seen done in any notable in that class) on any test then accuracy test are relative to the skill level of the shooter. One shooter maybe better than another with no fault of the firearms.

I think I've listed plenty of positive reviews for the Rex but since you apparently don't have any hands-on experience with it I'll take your unsubstantiated comments with a very small grain of salt.
View Quote

Yeah, holy shit. You just cited hickok45 as a test proving anything as fact so we're done here lol.

EDIT: again MAC states his display should not be solely used to decide on a handgun purchase and very clearly constantly says that there are many variables involved in his displays and the sample size of 1 is a glaring issue yet you still think this "proved" something lol.

EDIT 2: I don't give a rats ass about what most reviews and reviewers who may or may not get guns for free, or have some bias towards one company or another, or have a friends uncles cousin that works for whatever company have to say about them. You stated that there is something proven as fact and I want you to substantiate that claim. Yet you didn't or couldn't but you did state in posts that you are an owner of the gun so anyone reading anything you have to say about it should by the same logic be taken with a grain of salt as well as you could be seeking some sort confirmation and affirmation of your previous purchase.

It should be noted again that I've heard good things about the gun in question but at any rate enjoy your 100% proven as fact the second coming of the golden gun Serbian knock-off god gun, bro.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 6:31:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Gunbroker if you've heard of it. $549 on the low end (and what I paid at my LGS) and several other being offered below the MSRP: $649.99 Maynerd.  I think $100 is "well below retail", but if you saw one at $500 that's a good deal. You should have bought one.

I don't have a problem with the CZ999. If it runs fine an fits into some ones budget go for it. I just think they're a more basic & cheaper clone of the Sigs as expected of Serb guns. It's pretty clear than the Slovenians knew they could & didn't easily better the CZ999.

But if you don't have any hands-on experience with the Rex, you have to be an idiot to say its an exact clone of the CZ999. But if you budget is $275 for a 9mm handgun I'd definitely go with a Canik vs. a CZ999.

Design features have been borrowed/copied from various handgun designs since handguns were invented. And improvements have been made.  Since both you & I like CZs its been said that CZ75s are a clone of the Browning HP, in some aspects. Case in point all other SA/DA pistols are clones of the Walther P38 since it had the first SA/DA trigger system, right?

Gunbroker doesn't have a new 226 below $879 that isn't a LE/MIL discount but maybe you're talking about used 226s. Or if you're claiming dealer wholesale prices please post links to new 226s for those that aren't MIL/LE qualified so they may want to take advantage of such a deal. I know my LGS that's a significant Sig dealer says they can't sell a new 226 for the prices you seem to be lucky to have.

Again since you've acknowledged you have ZERO experience with a Rex Zero. I'm sure others that are interested in the pistol will look to actual owners/users vs. your lack of knowledge but plenty of unsubstantiated opinions of the pistol so congrats.
View Quote

MSRP on the REX is not $649, it's $599, and a lot of retailers are selling them for MSRP or above. As far as ZERO experience with the REX, well that's not true. I've handled and shot my friend's REX. Wasn't impressed. Trigger kind if sucks, especially when compared to the Sig directly with the SRT and especially when compared to German made early P226, which have even smoother triggers. The fit and finish is certainly nicer than the CZ999. I also never said the CZ999 and Rex are identical, but it's clear that the Rex and P226 are related. But you can feel free to say that all guns are the same since they derive features from the Browning HP if you think that makes your point. I don't have to buy one to have a valid experience, concerns and opinions. And you can feel free to defend it all you want, but you have not and will not change my mind about one. I get it, you're invested in it, and you want people to like it. And you certainly want it to succeed. Trust me, I do too. I think more choices are great. But the field is REALLY competitive and highly overcrowded for the Rex to stand out. You and I may disagree, but I don't know many people that would walk into a gun store, and see a $600 Rex they never heard of, and buy one over a Glock, Springfield, or even a CZ, for more money. It's just not the reality. Rex is not going to compete at that price. How do I know? Well, it failed with me. And I own SEVERAL different brands and a dozen of handguns. I'm not brand loyal.

It's a new gun, from a new manufacturer, for a price more than well established pistol, that has nothing more to offer than an extra safety mechanism that is not needed, and with a higher bore axis than the average handgun.

Now, to be fair, if I was doing an unbiased review without knowing the cost beforehand, and someone just handed me the REX, I would praise it for its build quality, fit and finish, and feel. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Rex from a performance point of view. Only thing I wish it had, was a better trigger, or maybe compatibility with the Sig SRT.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 6:52:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

MSRP on the REX is not $649, it's $599, and a lot of retailers are selling them for MSRP or above. As far as ZERO experience with the REX, well that's not true. I've handled and shot my friend's REX. Wasn't impressed. Trigger kind if sucks, especially when compared to the Sig directly with the SRT and especially when compared to German made early P226, which have even smoother triggers. The fit and finish is certainly nicer than the CZ999. I also never said the CZ999 and Rex are identical, but it's clear that the Rex and P226 are related. But you can feel free to say that all guns are the same since they derive features from the Browning HP if you think that makes your point. I don't have to buy one to have a valid experience, concerns and opinions. And you can feel free to defend it all you want, but you have not and will not change my mind about one. I get it, you're invested in it, and you want people to like it. And you certainly want it to succeed. Trust me, I do too. I think more choices are great. But the field is REALLY competitive and highly overcrowded for the Rex to stand out. You and I may disagree, but I don't know many people that would walk into a gun store, and see a $600 Rex they never heard of, and buy one over a Glock, Springfield, or even a CZ, for more money. It's just not the reality. Rex is not going to compete at that price. How do I know? Well, it failed with me. And I own SEVERAL different brands and a dozen of handguns. I'm not brand loyal.

It's a new gun, from a new manufacturer, for a price more than well established pistol, that has nothing more to offer than an extra safety mechanism that is not needed, and with a higher bore axis than the average handgun.

Now, to be fair, if I was doing an unbiased review without knowing the cost beforehand, and someone just handed me the REX, I would praise it for its build quality, fit and finish, and feel. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Rex from a performance point of view. Only thing I wish it had, was a better trigger, or maybe compatibility with the Sig SRT.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You're right the MSRP for the Rex isn't $649 as listed by this American Rifleman article

American Rifleman Arex Rex Zero 1

So the American Rifleman write-up is wrong on that account, but the FIME Group who actually imports the handgun lists the MSRP as $670, so you're wrong also.  FIME Group Arex Rex Zero 1  So maybe you're confusing a vendor cost of $599 with MSRP.

But that makes the deal I got and the one listed on Gunbroker even more of a significant discount vs MSRP.

Plus KVAR, the FIME Group affiliate, lists them for $618.  KVAR Rex Zero 1

But you can feel free to say that all guns are the same since they derive features from the Browning HP if you think that makes your point.

I also never said all guns are the same as the Hi Power so there you go again,. I pointed out that many handguns have borrowed design features from others for 100 years. And that's not going to end.

Comparing the Rex trigger to a semi-custom Sig SRT trigger is kind of silly since their two different handguns. And because they are two different handguns why would a Sig SRT trigger fit in a Rex?  The trigger systems are different with the Rex having a condition 3 option and an ambidextrous safety system which the Sig 226 doesn't. Maybe AREX will make a Rex model with a refined trigger system but to say the Sig SRT incompatibility is a issue is plain silly. Plus the reviewers and local Sig owners in my area have praised the shorter reset on the Rex vs a 226.

One other gent (not you) in an earlier thread suggested that based on outward appearances between the Rex and Sig 226 should be able to share parts, magazines, and slides and wanted someone to try to put a 226 slide on a Rex. Unless it's an exact model that's stupid.

Lastly I'm not trying to convince you on anything but you've had a bias against the Rex, starting in a thread last spring when they first came out. It's good you've tried one out, and that's the first time you've acknowledged that.  To each his/hers own. And, to be fair, you first posted the MAC torture test here so at least you stepped up to do that.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 10:46:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You're right the MSRP for the Rex isn't $649 as listed by this American Rifleman article

American Rifleman Arex Rex Zero 1

So the American Rifleman write-up is wrong on that account, but the FIME Group who actually imports the handgun lists the MSRP as $670, so you're wrong also.  FIME Group Arex Rex Zero 1  So maybe you're confusing a vendor cost of $599 with MSRP.

But that makes the deal I got and the one listed on Gunbroker even more of a significant discount vs MSRP.

Plus KVAR, the FIME Group affiliate, lists them for $618.  KVAR Rex Zero 1

I also never said all guns are the same as the Hi Power so there you go again,. I pointed out that many handguns have borrowed design features from others for 100 years. And that's not going to end.

Comparing the Rex trigger to a semi-custom Sig SRT trigger is kind of silly since their two different handguns. And because they are two different handguns why would a Sig SRT trigger fit in a Rex?  The trigger systems are different with the Rex having a condition 3 option and an ambidextrous safety system which the Sig 226 doesn't. Maybe AREX will make a Rex model with a refined trigger system but to say the Sig SRT incompatibility is a issue is plain silly. Plus the reviewers and local Sig owners in my area have praised the shorter reset on the Rex vs a 226.

One other gent (not you) in an earlier thread suggested that based on outward appearances between the Rex and Sig 226 should be able to share parts, magazines, and slides and wanted someone to try to put a 226 slide on a Rex. Unless it's an exact model that's stupid.

Lastly I'm not trying to convince you on anything but you've had a bias against the Rex, starting in a thread last spring when they first came out. It's good you've tried one out, and that's the first time you've acknowledged that.  To each his/hers own. And, to be fair, you first posted the MAC torture test here so at least you stepped up to do that.
View Quote

I don't hate the gun. I can afford the gun. I may even own the gun at some point. I just don't want to pay their asking price. That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

I've been a long time CZ fan, and I'm pretty open about that. But, as you may see from some of my posts, I've been somewhat harsh on the new CZ P10C. That's because I don't drink brand name kool-aid. I like odd guns, clones, hard to find handguns, etc.

I own stuff from Chiappa Rhino, Tanfoglio Match Stock, to Steyr M9A1, Caniks, and many others. I love the idea of the Arex making Sig "clones". I hope they are successful and continue to sell them, and maybe bring them down in price now that the market is cooling off. If someone offers me an AREX as a trade or at a great deal, I'll add one to my stable.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:39:35 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm also a long-time CZ fan, with a pre-B, a 75B, a retro-B and a Kadet B.  I will however go with the new P-10C because I think its a new/better option to the G19. which I also have, since its a little less boxy.

I buddy of mine just got a Grand Power P1 Mk12 that I checked out yesterday. A very interesting pistol that I've been looking at the last few years but the Mk7 issues shyed me away from it when they improved things with the Mk 12. But GPs are hard to check out in my area until my friends' showed up. I'll shoot it sometime this spring. The only detriment there is the mag cost (2X most others). If GP brought the mag cost down to $25/ea I'd get one.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 8:38:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The only detriment there is the mag cost (2X most others). If GP brought the mag cost down to $25/ea I'd get one.
View Quote
$18 CZ 75 mags work with a touch of filing on the catch slot.  I owned one for a while
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 9:56:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Rex slide underside:

CZ999 slide underside:

Here you can see, the Rex has milled out some areas of the slide next to the round pickup bar for some reason.  You can also see they use identical firing pin block and internal extractors.  The barrel profiles and lockup are identical and you can see the CZ999 uses a twisted wire recoil spring like a Sig whereas the Rex uses a standard wire setup.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 9:18:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Off Brand SHIT!  Some Assclown makes a video, now every Newbie on the planet wants one.  Do you REALLY think some gun NO ONE heard of a year ago, is better than a Sig, or ANY of the other Brand Names?  Buy a G17 for the $500!
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 9:34:49 PM EDT
[#37]
But, but, but, Polenar Tactical video dude...
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:54:25 AM EDT
[#38]
I only handled one at a gunshow, but it seemed to exhibit a very high level of quality machining.

The American Rifleman review which tends to be the most honest of any gun magazine had some pretty impressive group sizes at 25 yards.

I am a big fan of Sig pattern guns so I am very interested.  I don't find the price excessive given the apparent quality and accuracy results.  However, its definitely not a cheap bargain.

My biggest concern buying one would be the lack of spare parts if the company goes belly up or stops importation.  I have enough unicorns with hard to find parts that I don't need another.  I think they would have been better off more closely matching the Sig pattern so some parts were interchangeable like extractors and magazines.   They should have been really ballsy and make as many parts as possible interchangeable so Sig owners might prefer Rex replacement parts vs. made in India MIM crap that Sig now imports.

Also the DA weight numbers are not very impressive compared to a Sig.  The cocked and locked feature and what is supposedly a better than average SA pull implies its a budget alternative to a SA Sig or Legion.  In that case you are comparing a $600 Rex to a $1000 plus Sig.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:42:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

My biggest concern buying one would be the lack of spare parts if the company goes belly up or stops importation.  I have enough unicorns with hard to find parts that I don't need another.  I think they would have been better off more closely matching the Sig pattern so some parts were interchangeable like extractors and magazines.   They should have been really ballsy and make as many parts as possible interchangeable so Sig owners might prefer Rex replacement parts vs. made in India MIM crap that Sig now imports.

Also the DA weight numbers are not very impressive compared to a Sig.  The cocked and locked feature and what is supposedly a better than average SA pull implies its a budget alternative to a SA Sig or Legion.  In that case you are comparing a $600 Rex to a $1000 plus Sig.
View Quote

I think you make some valid points here. If for some reason importation stops, yeah that sucks. It happens sometimes. I don't think it will happen with REX Zero 1s, and I don't think AREX as a company will go under either, but it could happen, and those are some things to think about.  

I will personally state from my own experience the DA pull on the REX is heavier and I don't like it as much as the DA pull on a P-series SIG, or even for that matter a SIG 2022. That being said, I don't think the heavier/"harder" (note: "harder" is subjective) DA pull is a really notable detriment to what I would think of as "practical" accuracy and "practical" speed ...if you're trying to do something considerably difficult, like pull off a one second draw on an 8" target one-handed,    10 yards away, yeah, that is going to be pretty tough to do (Not for nothing, but I think that's going to be pretty hard for the average person to do consistently with ANY handgun, but that's just me).

I like that the REX offers the cocked and locked feature/option, and as you have noted you don't really get that on a SIG unless you buy a model of SIG that runs about $1000 or more. Also, with the SA SIGs, you're stuck in SA only, which is fine for those who are only interested in SAO guns, but I'd prefer a gun like a REX that lets you carry it in either DA or SA mode safely.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 2:20:44 PM EDT
[#40]
The Rex Zero is a huge winner IMHO. Mine is a full size. Bought it from Prepper Guns $549. Guys, this is the smoothest  shooting pistol I have ever owned and I've owned Glocks, Sigs, Beretta, Colt, and so on. The machining on mine is impeccable. The finish is attractive and very durable. The magazines are fairly inexpensive $25 and are very high quality with a beautiful finish and witness holes for all 17 rounds. I really like the combo slide release/hammer drop lever. I also love the fact that it has a safety for cocked and locked carry. There's a ton of features for the asking price. It's as reliable (If not more reliable) than anything in its class, and as accurate too. What's not to love?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 1:12:11 AM EDT
[#41]
For me, I see no reason in that pistol for it to take the place of any possible CZ purchase.  I've tried to find better, but CZ is it for me and my house.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 5:57:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
For me, I see no reason in that pistol for it to take the place of any possible CZ purchase.  I've tried to find better, but CZ is it for me and my house.
View Quote

I hear you, but with respect, why exactly comment in a thread like this then? CZ 75s are quite a different animal than the REX, just like a Beretta 92 and a SIG P series pistol are quite different animals from the CZ and from each other.  

I happen to like all of them, but aside from being DA/SA pistols and being popular duty/service guns for many decades now, they don't necessarily have a great deal in common...
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 6:19:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I hear you, but with respect, why exactly comment in a thread like this then? CZ 75s are quite a different animal than the REX, just like a Beretta 92 and a SIG P series pistol are quite different animals from the CZ and from each other.  
View Quote

Maybe because he felt compelled to give his opinion to OP's question.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:03:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Off Brand SHIT!  Some Assclown makes a video, now every Newbie on the planet wants one.  Do you REALLY think some gun NO ONE heard of a year ago, is better than a Sig, or ANY of the other Brand Names?  Buy a G17 for the $500!
View Quote

Based on Sig's quality lately, yes, I do think some gun NO ONE heard of a year ago is better.

Also, that "assclown" is a member here. Watch yourself.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:08:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Based on Sig's quality lately, yes, I do think some gun NO ONE heard of a year ago is better.

View Quote

Sig's quality certainly has declined. But, I wouldn't call the Arex better. No credible proof of that in any shape or form. Just because one or two youtube celebs ran a few tests, doesn't mean anything. There are so many variables when it comes to these tests, and luck. When AREX has 15-30 years of consistent quality and reliability, then you can claim that. But, it is amusing to watch Sig fanboys (and HK) lose their shit over cheaper guns outperforming them even for one or two tests.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:19:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I happen to like all of them, but aside from being DA/SA pistols and being popular duty/service guns for many decades now, they don't necessarily have a great deal in common...
View Quote

Why comment?  Because I have thought long and hard about the Rex, and while I want to buy one, the functionality, the accuracy, the reliability, and the familiarity with CZ has convinced me to stay with the brand. I am convinced the Rex makes it not necessay to spend Sig bucks in order to get an excellent pistol but when faced with the choice of buying an all steel SP-01 Compact or the Rex, I chose CZ.

Don't be offended. If you get the Rex, you will be doing well.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:52:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Sig's quality certainly has declined. But, I wouldn't call the Arex better. No credible proof of that in any shape or form. Just because one or two youtube celebs ran a few tests, doesn't mean anything. There are so many variables when it comes to these tests, and luck. When AREX has 15-30 years of consistent quality and reliability, then you can claim that. But, it is amusing to watch Sig fanboys (and HK) lose their shit over cheaper guns outperforming them even for one or two tests.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The videos may not be undeniable proof that its better, but they're also pretty hard to completely ignore

Given how Sig has been lately, and my own personal experience with their customer service, I'd buy an AREX over a sig too.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:15:35 PM EDT
[#48]
For those that have a Rex, K-VAR has new Hogue grips for the Rex in black, green & dark earth.

For those that feel the factory grips need improved on these are an option.

I received a green set today ($74.96 delivered). After install on my Rex they're slightly slimmer than the factory grips, offer a better grip than the factory ones, and look a lot better.

My .02

Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:17:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Maybe because he felt compelled to give his opinion to OP's question.
View Quote

OP's original post mentioned nothing whatsoever about a CZ 75. It was about the REX Zero 1--the topic of the thread.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:29:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Why comment?  Because I have thought long and hard about the Rex, and while I want to buy one, the functionality, the accuracy, the reliability, and the familiarity with CZ has convinced me to stay with the brand. I am convinced the Rex makes it not necessay to spend Sig bucks in order to get an excellent pistol but when faced with the choice of buying an all steel SP-01 Compact or the Rex, I chose CZ.

Don't be offended. If you get the Rex, you will be doing well.
View Quote

I wasn't offended, we're just people talking and writing on the internet is all. Didn't mean to offend you if I did so.  

I like some CZs myself, and I think they are definitely solid guns. The thing that I was trying to point out though, is as great as the various CZ pistols are, they really aren't very similar to the AREX, or a SIG, which obviously has a very similar shape/contour (along with, YES, the CZ-99, we know). Somebody could like or even love a SIG or an AREX pistol, but on the other hand be kind of lukewarm to a CZ, or even dislike the way that gun feels/fits/operates...the opposite could apply as well. *EDITED* Since we're here though, I guess we could try comparing the two in some respects. They both allow for cocked and locked carry as well as DA/decocked carry, so they do have that in common.

Grip panel types, hand sizes, checkering/serrations etc. of course all play a part ( to speak nothing about the differences in alloy/steel frame weights, trigger weights, "stacking", resets, overtravel, etc.) in how a person evaluates how good of a fit the pistol is for him, but generally speaking I think most people will find CZ type guns to be somewhat more slim width wise, though slightly heavier overall because of the steel frame (compare for example an SP-01 with a REX Zero 1S...that SP-01 is considerably more heavy unloaded).

Also, the frame safeties on the REX and the CZ 75, while both allow for cocked and locked carry, are pretty different. The CZs safety as you know is pretty far forward on the gun compared to the REX. It definitely is usable, but for some people it will be harder to reach and more practice *may* be required to  sweep it safely and consistently. The REX's safety sits pretty far back to the rear and overall I think the location and ergonomics of it are very good ( though I could see it being improved very slightly). Unlike the CZ 75, the REX pistol's safety *can* be placed on SAFE when the gun is decocked. Some people will have a problem with this on the REX, but it would not be very easy to "accidentally" move the frame mounted safety back on the REX. Even done consciously it is a bit clumsy and awkward IMO to push that safety back up, especially without shifting one's grip.

Anyway, some might say the CZ 75 and its safety arrangement has an advantage here over the REX, but it's debatable, and personally I would not worry about accidentally engaging the REX's safety.

Decocking a standard CZ 75B to the half-cock notch as I'm sure you know is not really hard at all, once you learn how it is done safely and practice it on the range until you're competent, but does require more care...some people, whether new shooters or not, will just not be comfortable manually lowering the hammer to get into DA mode. Some people will prefer a dedicated decocker, such as the one the REX Zero 1S uses.

What else...the field strip/takedown is pretty easy with both guns, I personally think the REX is a bit easier... the often tight slide to frame fit on the CZ in my experience can make a bit harder to remove that slide stop (at least that's my experience) but still not very hard to strip the gun.

The CZs have pretty standard dovetail cuts for sights, the REX Zero 1S for some reason has gone with proprietary ones, so unfortunately right now sight options for the REX are limited if that is important.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top