Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2017 10:16:48 PM EDT
I have interest. Im just going to give away this LCP. Thanks
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 10:25:52 PM EDT
[#1]
long stiff trigger pull
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:19:41 PM EDT
[#2]
My wife has one and she loves it.  I have pretty big hands and have issues with the trigger.  Worse than my KelTec p3at.  Other than that it's an awesome gun.  Super reliable and very accurate.  
YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:49:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
long stiff trigger pull
View Quote

This. It's really long and heavy.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 12:40:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I like mine even with the long and difficult trigger pull. its meant for cross the room distances. that being said, anybody know of a fix to lighten it up some?
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 12:43:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Mine has always gone bang, better sights than the LCP by a long shot.  Never have been that big of a fan of the safety, I keep mine off but sometimes worry about it accidentally engaging.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 8:56:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 10:14:56 AM EDT
[#7]
If you don't like the LCP you will hate the Bodyguard...

Very long DA trigger with a very pronounced false reset
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 1:46:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I have one...

1) Incredibly accurate, I was really surprised.  Put a few shots through the same hole upon first firing the gun.
2) Long trigger pull like a revolver makes it ideal for pocket carry with the safety off.
3) Reliable, haven't had any malfunctions other than the slide not locking back on the last shot.  But, that could be my hands hitting something they shouldn't be touching.

That said...  I would trade it for a G42 in a heartbeat.  Due to the really heavy trigger pull, I don't feel confident in taking longer shots under stress.  And although pocket carry is convenient, I don't think it's a great way to carry so I'd prefer something slim, light, shootable, but in an IWB holster.  To me, the smallest best concealed carry gun is the G42.  The perceived weight difference between the two (if there is any) is so minimal that the only thing the Bodyguard has going for it is a slight reduction in size and a trigger that won't go off in your pocket.

It's also not any fun to shoot whatsoever.  I am not recoil sensitive, but due to the thin grip and small size, the palm of my hand was feeling the shots after a little while.  The G42 on the other hand, you could shoot all day and get REALLY good with it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 7:57:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Having owned one I will say its not much better than LCP all in all. It is quite accurate for what it is and the materials used and fit and finish are good (better than the LCP and P3AT). But I ultimately sold mine in favor the SIG P238. Unless you really cannot deal with an exposed hammer I would skip the BG380, for a bit more you got A LOT more pistol in 238. Oh and to add, I pocket carry my 238 all the time and dont have problems.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 4:24:48 AM EDT
[#10]
G42 or LCP II.  

LCP II recommendation based solely on fiddling with it in the store, haven't shot it yet.  But it seems great.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 6:07:11 AM EDT
[#11]
My best friend pocket carries one all of the time.  It's usually pretty dirty but always goes bang; he tries to put at least one magazine through it every time he goes to his farm which is a couple of times a month.  I went with him to the gunshop with the intention of getting an LCP but he liked the Smith with laser better and he's happy with it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 8:21:49 AM EDT
[#12]
My buddy and I bought 2 of them a few months ago. Absolutely love them! It's a revolver like trigger that is very easy to get the hang of just shoot it a couple hundred times!  Supper accurate! We where both banging steal at 105yds with ours.  The tardget was a steal uspsa target.  
   I've got around 5-600 rds throw mine. First box of ammo I had maybe 2 malfunctions.  Nothing since then.  
  I have a vedder holsters pocket holster that is awesome!!!
If I'm not pocket carrying it then I am carrying a larger gun with a better caliber. I'm not a huge fan of .380 but then again sometimes I can carry the bodyguard when I can't carry other guns.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 11:08:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have one...

1) Incredibly accurate, I was really surprised.  Put a few shots through the same hole upon first firing the gun.
2) Long trigger pull like a revolver makes it ideal for pocket carry with the safety off.
3) Reliable, haven't had any malfunctions other than the slide not locking back on the last shot.  But, that could be my hands hitting something they shouldn't be touching.

It's also not any fun to shoot whatsoever.  I am not recoil sensitive, but due to the thin grip and small size, the palm of my hand was feeling the shots after a little while.  
View Quote

My experiences pretty much except I've never had any malfunctions at all in about 400 or so rounds

Very Very Accurate. (which totally surprised me with the short barrel & double action trigger).

Recoil is there when you shoot for an extended session, you will feel a tad sore after shooting a full box of 50 at the end of the day.

It is a very small & lightweight pocket pistol designed to be carried much and shot little.

While I'd like something bigger and more powerful, it fits my need to be armed without profile better than most anything else I've found.

When you NEED a gun, it is far better to have a loaded pocket pistol on you, than a mini-gun locked in your safe back home.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 11:30:50 AM EDT
[#14]
I sold my LCP, but needed another pocket gun. It came down to the P238 and Kimber Micro. Bought the Micro and I'm very happy with it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 9:29:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Honestly I was extremely disappointed in the accuracy of my BG380, maybe 6" groups at 25feet, my P238 shoots easily half that.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 9:42:24 PM EDT
[#16]
What's your issue with the LCP?
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 9:57:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Glock 42.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 7:59:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 8:35:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have interest. Im just going to give away this LCP. Thanks
View Quote

Ill take it!!

Also, I have the LCP II and it shoots fantastic. Almost same exact size as LCP, but better trigger and all around feel/shooting experience.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 9:21:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Taking my time, with the crimson trace green laser model, I can hit a golf ball at ~35 feet. Very accurate for its size, disappears in a pocket and have had zero malfunctions with about 300 rds so far. The trigger pull is incredibly long and stiff. We'll see if it loosens up over time.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 11:16:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Have one, and am very happy with it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 12:50:26 AM EDT
[#22]
I don't like to pocket carry my g42 with one in the pipe but the bodyguard is great to pocket carry!
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 7:48:43 AM EDT
[#23]
I like my BG380 with laser, but I do get light primer strikes on the cheap ammo.  The DA is nice because it will mostly fire the second time
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 10:30:46 AM EDT
[#24]
I'll +whatever the G42. I had an LCP that worked very well for pocket carry, but was entirely too small for me. I have big hands and, when I was able to take my time to grip the LCP, no problem. If I had to grip it in a hurry, most of the time I'd grip it wrong and couldn't shoot it for crap. I will say, though, that when I could grip it right, it shot very well, considering the practically non-existent sights.

A friend had a G42 that I was able to shoot and I loved it. I went out and bought the first one I could find. I won't go why it is so much better, suffice it to say that it is orders of magnitude better. Sights, trigger, just about everything that makes up the gun makes it better.

The only real con is the size. Really, it is not that much bigger than the LCP. If interested, I can post pics. I had to have the finger extension base plates on the LCP mags to make it even come close to fitting my hands. The butt on the G42 is maybe 1/4" longer than the LCP with the finger extension base plates on the LCP. Barrel and slide are about 1/2" longer than the LCP. It is at the upper limit for pocket carry, but it is definitely doable.

Another option, as was posted above, is the Sig P238. I have played around with one that, let me tell you, they are accurate as hell. MUCH more accurate than a pocket pistol has a right to be. Since it is all metal, it is heavier than the LCP but it is about the same size. A little wider, but not much. The trigger on the one I played with was outstanding. A little stiff, but VERY crisp and very short. If you can deal with the SAO trigger, it would also be an excellent option. The safety is very positive so I can't ever see it coming off when you don't want it to, but at the same time I understand why someone would worry about pocket carrying an SAO pistol.

I've never actually shot a Bodyguard but have dry fired and handled one. I don't know if it was just this particular gun but the trigger was HORRIBLE! VERY heavy and stiff. When dry firing it, I literally couldn't keep the sights properly centered. They kept jumping around through the whole trigger pull, the trigger was that bad. Much worse than the LCP's trigger. Like I said, maybe it was this particular gun, but it really turned me off on the Bodyguard. Actually practicing with the gun should take care of that, but it was so bad that I decided I would never buy one.

Overall, if you can, try at least handling and dry firing whatever gun you decide on and, if possible and you have one nearby, try to find a range to rent and actually shoot one. Good luck with your decision.

Bub75
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 11:58:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Not a bad pistol but it does have a heavy trigger pull. Also, the safety is about worthless in my opinion, as it is too hard/heavy/difficult to operate under duress. I wound up selling mine and got the LCP Custom. Try looking at the Glock 42 as they shoot really nice and are not much bigger but is much more comfortable to shoot.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 12:18:43 PM EDT
[#26]
My buddy had a 2 mags fired BG he wants to sell or trade off. Your account dosent take im or emails.  Contact me if your interested ill put you two in contact.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 4:17:48 PM EDT
[#27]
The BG 380 is better than the LCP. I sold my BG380 and got a SIG P238, dont regret it in the slightest.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 4:26:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Bought 1 for the wife, then bought myself one and sold my keltec, both are the insight laser versions.
She hates hers, prefers a Shield9 or FS M&P9 but occassionally carries it. I carry mine daily in my goretex parka or AIWB when I'm not at work. The last time out shooting I practiced drawing from my parka pocket and put several  6 round mags onto a 8" paperplate at 10' approximately, in rapid fire. Its not the best pistol I own but its the smallest I own so its my edc for the commute to work. It'll work just fine at commuter traincar distances.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 5:56:49 AM EDT
[#29]
I like my BG a lot, I have the non-laser model. Really accurate for such a short barrel, routinely hitting a 12" steel at 15-20yds once I get in the groove.

The trigger is long, but mine is smooth, and I don't have the false reset I have heard a few complain of. For a small gun it just feels good in my hands for some unexplainable reason, much better than the G42 that I had and sold off. FWIW I shot it and the LCP at the range before buying, and went with the BodyGuard. No regerts brah
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 11:27:14 AM EDT
[#30]
I just got one. Found them on Slickguns for just over $200 shipped

Like others said the tigger has a long heavy pull like a DA revolver

The sights don't pull offe like other DA guns I have shot. It is crisp and breaks easy.

It feels better in my hand than the LCP. I also have a LCP 2 and Sig 238 both are much faster to shoot than the BG or original LCP.

I practice with them at 15' and do a mag dump, the both will do center mass hits.  

The LCP 2 and the SIG 238 beat anything else I have for rapid accurate fast shots
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 4:06:58 PM EDT
[#31]
I carry BG all the time and like it. The trigger pull is like a revolver but it's intended to be.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 6:44:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If you don't like the LCP you will hate the Bodyguard...

Very long DA trigger with a very pronounced false reset
View Quote
This. Do yourself a favor and skip right past the low dollar junk like the LCP and BG. Get a P238 and call it a day.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:17:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Picked up a BG yesterday, got it out to the range today. Will share first impressions for what it is worth.

Couple things up front.  I have been wanting one for a long time just based on their looks and size.  I appreciate a good small gun.  Also thought it would be nice to have a pocket gun similar in size to my P32 with a bigger round.  Had an LCP, didn't last long.  I hear the LCP II is quite an improvement, and I like the look and the feel, but like I said, I had been wanting a BG for a while.  I also like that the BG is lightweight polymer and the slide and barrel are stainless for pocket carry.

No, it is not a P238.  Those are great. Have a couple. But they are also SAO and bigger.  Not much, but bigger all around.  G42 is really nice too.  Little long, didn't sit well for me in my pocket, but nice.    (The P938 is great too depending on how you might carry it, not much longer than the P238.)  

In my pocket I really wanted the DAO.  I thought I wanted the thumb safety too, but as one other person in the thread noted, it is so heavy and hard to disengage so as to be useless/dangerous.  Maybe it will loosen with use, but it is really stiff and it is hard to get a hold of the lever to disengage.  I find the best way for me to do it is using my thumb knuckle rather than the pad of my thumb.  For as heavy as the DAO is, no safety is not a biggie for me.

Dry firing, trigger pull was long and scratchy.  Doing some reading online there is a trigger kit to smooth it out for about $100.  Figured I better try it stock first for that much.  Once out on the range with a couple hundred rounds through it, it was feeling much smoother. Like a decent DAO revolver.  Not great, but decent.  The replacement trigger kit is supposed to help with where the trigger breaks too.  That may be of some value.  I have bigger hands, and while doable, the trigger breaks almost all the way back against the frame. On a small frame with big hands, it can be a reach.  The replacement kit is supposed to move the break point further forward.  That would be nice, but for $100, I think I will give the stock trigger more time, see if it proves to be an issue.

The BG comes with two magazines, one with a flat base and one with an extension.  The one with the extension made a significant difference for me control wise.  Particularly shooting the Buffalo Bore +P.

I used a variety of mid to high quality ammo.  I had one light strike on the second mag through it.  Second strike, it went bang and I had zero other issues after that.  I was fine shooting the regular ammo.  Really felt it though using the +P.  It is not meant to be a range gun. Otherwise recoil very manageable and came back on target fast.

Accuracy was good.  Not as good as a P238 or G42, but plenty good for its intended use.  I got the model with the Crimson Trace laser because I like how it looks, but was pleasantly surprised how accurate it was using the laser for sighting (first and only gun with laser for us).

The newer BGs are better build quality than their non M&P predecessors.  It is a quality little gun.  Great fit and finish. Light. Easy in and out of pocket.  I like it.

That being said, I will still probably end up with something else for pocket carry, just because I would really prefer at least 9mm.  The P11 is intriguing, close in size to the BG, little heavier.  Some poo poo the Kel Tecs, but mine have always been reliable.  I am also waiting to see how the new Bond Bullpup is (revised Boberg).  Gordon Bond claims they have sorted out the major issues with the Boberg and brought the price down.  We will see.  The Boberg was smaller in dimensions than the BG and a little thicker, little heavier than the BG, but with a longer barrel in 9mm.  If I can do the weight (and Bond really has sorted all the issues out) I suspect that will be the new pocket carry.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 7:57:14 PM EDT
[#34]
I have both and slightly prefer the Ruger.

MLG
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:03:44 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm genuinely confused by S&W's lack of interest in updating the bodyguard. The LCP has received several upgrades while the Bodyguard is still about the same minus the non-laser variants. I'd be very interested in picking one up if they'd just fix up the trigger. Lighten and smooth it up, maybe add a trigger blade, remove the manual safety, and you'd have a huge winner...you know, just like Ruger did, who also has a huge winner.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:32:14 PM EDT
[#36]
I have one of the original BG's.  Probably close to 1k rounds through it, and zero malfunctions.

Imo, it works well for it's intended purpose,  which is up close and personal.  Yeah, the trigger could be better, but again, for the type of work it's intended for it's fine. YMMV.

I carry my G19 99% of the time. The BG is only used as a BUG, or if for some odd reason I can't have my 19 on me.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:56:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Very accurate with PMC Bronze, at least mine is. I've only had light strikes with Wolf. Trigger breaks in after awhile, still long but not nearly as heavy. It's very easy to shoot for being such a small gun. I don't even notice it's there. Being only 6+1 I always carry two extra magazines. I'm sure the Sig is nice but they're kinda pricey for a 380 pocket gun, at least when they first came out. The only thing I considered selling it for was the 290RS, mainly to consolidate ammo, but never did. I been carrying my Glock 19 more often though.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:33:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'm genuinely confused by S&W's lack of interest in updating the bodyguard. The LCP has received several upgrades while the Bodyguard is still about the same minus the non-laser variants. I'd be very interested in picking one up if they'd just fix up the trigger. Lighten and smooth it up, maybe add a trigger blade, remove the manual safety, and you'd have a huge winner...you know, just like Ruger did, who also has a huge winner.
View Quote

They did improve it, but the trigger is the same. It's a DAO trigger like many other guns, but if you're looking for a trigger dingus like a Glock it won't happen unless they make it striker fired. They already make a model without the thumb safety.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top