Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2017 5:16:36 PM EDT
Not really a review but I picked up a 4.25" M&P 2.0 today and shot it. I wanted to give some info being that these are new, and from the perspective of a Glock fanboy.

Initial thoughts: The stippling is very aggressive and I like it quite a bit. It's less aggressive than an RTF2 Glock (which is too much IMO) but more aggressive than something like a Gen 4 Glock. The stippling goes higher than most pistols but I'd still like to see it go up a bit higher to really grab the support hand palm.

The build quality seems very good. It locks up pretty tight with very minimal play in the slide and frame. The internals look good and some of the trigger parts look polished.

I'm a trigger snob. The trigger on the 2.0 is improved some. I measure it a consistent 5lbs on my trigger gauge. The takeup is smooth with a slight hitch in there. The break has some creep and that's the biggest con imo. It almost feels like a Glock trigger with a minus connector. Reset is good. It is tactile and audible. Not as much so as a stock Glock trigger but it's similar to if you've done mods to a Glock. It feels like a Glock with a lower weight striker spring or something.

Shooting: I put some lube on (Cuda lube for those that care) and went to the range. I didn't put a ton of rounds through it but enough to get a feel for it. I shot 100 rounds of American Eagle 124g and 35 rounds of Hornady XTP 124g that I had around. I shot the American Eagle anywhere from 5-20 yards to just get used to it a bit and try to figure out the POI. A 6'clock hold seems to be where the sights hit. I'm not a big fan of the sights. There's nothing really wrong with them but I typically prefer all black, or a fiber optic front. I also prefer a thinner front sight for more accuracy. The stock front sight is quite thick.

Accuracy seemed good. I was putting them in there and calling my shots and I had no complaints. With the Hornady I was shooting for groups at 25 yards on an NRA B8 target. I meant to take pictures but forgot. With 10 round strings I was shooting high 80's - low 90s, which is what I'll typically shoot with a Glock 19. I think I can do better though as I was still figuring out POI and ran out of ammo. The sights do not lend themselves to accuracy at 25 yards either. I may shoot some more tomorrow and I'll post pictures of the 25 yard groups. I do feel like it threw a couple shots high. With the horror stories I've hard about M&P 9mm accuracy I was eager to see for myself.

Planned mods: Sights are a given for any gun imo. I definitely want to improve on the trigger. I'd like to get the trigger pull down to 4lbs with a crisper break. I know that Apex has parts for the M&P 2.0 already but I don't think they have the FSS kit yet, which from what I understand is what will give you the best trigger in an M&P.

I think I will get a gunsmith fit barrel from them as well and have my gunsmith fit it. I'm curious to see what the max potential accuracy is out of an M&P and this is the way to do it.

TTI base pads just because they are cool.

Overall: As someone that pretty much shoots nothing but Glocks and some CZ's/Tanfoglios and 1911's here and there I think this gun has real potential and can possible overthrow Glocks. The ergos are more comfortable. (and I have no problem with Glock ergos or the grip angle bs because that's crazy talk) The recoil is very mild and easy to manage and I'd say it shoots softer than a Glock 17 for comparison. Really the only thing holding it back is the creepy break on the trigger. Otherwise it's a real winner. I think I will put a lot of rounds through this gun and sort of torture test it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 5:27:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Excellent review.  Looking forward to updates on round count testing.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 5:34:58 PM EDT
[#2]
About to send my M&P9 back to S&W to look into the inconsistent accuracy.  If they can't dial it in I'm selling it and buying a 2.0.  GrabAGun has them for $449, and my Academy will price match and take an extra 5% off.  I'm looking hard at the FDE 5" model for a few extra bucks, though....  Just need to ditch the manual safety.

Link Posted: 1/24/2017 5:52:54 PM EDT
[#3]
^^^ That's a good price. I paid $500. I do like that 5" but yea I'm going to wait for one without a safety. I'm hoping that they come out with an M&P 2.0 compact.

I like this 2.0 so much that I think I'll get a shield too. I like that the shield 9mm still has the regular stippling. I think the 2.0 stippling is too aggressive for IWB and it'll tear skin up and be uncomfortable. It may wear in a bit with some use though.

Also anxious to see how this compares to the CZ P10c. I would have bought one of those today too for a direct comparison but doesn't seem like they've quite hit shelves yet.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 6:02:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I do like that 5" but yea I'm going to wait for one without a safety.
View Quote

Buy these and hope they fit
https://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=39247
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 6:11:25 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I do like that 5" but yea I'm going to wait for one without a safety.

Buy these and hope they fit
https://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=39247

Eh, I can wait. Experimenting with the 4" will keep me busy. I do think that the 5" could make for a really good USPSA production gun though.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 6:41:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Does anyone know if the magazines are the same between the 1.0 and 2.0?
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 6:54:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Does anyone know if the magazines are the same between the 1.0 and 2.0?
View Quote

from what i can tell they are exactly the same
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 7:36:25 PM EDT
[#8]
all mags are the same my 6 extras from my 1.0 work and are identical (expect the tti basepads and apex basepads ;))
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 7:42:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Good review, thanks.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 8:58:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Paid $440 for mine plus the I dot pros. Planning on shooting it tomorrow.

My trigger is definitely better than my 1.0s and I probably won't be modifying it at all. I'm just hoping the accuracy is better at 25 yards than my previous full size was.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 9:41:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm glad to hear positive reviews about these pistols.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 11:47:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm waiting and hoping that Smith and Wesson comes out with a 5" black M2.0.

If so I would buy one in a heart beat.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 12:12:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm waiting and hoping that Smith and Wesson comes out with a 5" black M2.0.

If so I would buy one in a heart beat.
View Quote

They will. I want a 45 now too. They will be out next month.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 3:50:45 AM EDT
[#14]
I have an M&P9 PC 5" Ported with an RMR.

I was planning on getting a G19 for a carry piece, but will probably wait to see what else comes out in terms of the 2.0, ideally in FDE and that I can fit with more RMRs.

I'm hoping I can do slide milling vs the CORE system, just to get it mounted as low as possible.

I have a feeling I'll end up with both 4 and 5" 2.0 versions with apex kits and the girl will get the old PC M&P.  4" w/ trigger safety only and 5" with thumb safety, GS fitted barrel.

Excited to see what the options are.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 8:58:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Stopped by Academy to check one out yesterday, the grip texture is definitely aggressive.
Trigger is better, slide fit is tighter.

Take a look at the sear and trigger bar and you'll see what they changed.  They're using the same MIM sear, but they're tripping it with a little toggle lever now instead of the loop ramp from the original.  That way there's less gritty feeling because there is no loop sliding under the sear block.  The sear block itself appears to be identical to the original.

You can see the little toggle above the sear here.
Also looks like a lot more bearing surface on the front slide rails.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 12:25:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I was planning on getting a G19 for a carry piece
View Quote

Stick to that plan
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 12:45:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Stick to that plan
View Quote

Negative.  Prefer the M&P, I don't even know why I wanted a Glock, probably just to have one.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 4:54:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Update: Talked to Apex and they recommend the sear and ultimate striker block. The striker block will smooth out the pre-travel. The sear will result in a 3.75-4.25lb trigger pull with a crisp break.

I'll be ordering these parts along with the GS fit Barrel. Probably the aluminum trigger as well because I'm not much a fan of the hinged trigger.

The trigger shoes come with an extra power sear spring. What does this spring do to the trigger? The sear doesn't come with an extra power sear spring so I was curious why it comes with the trigger shoes.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 5:36:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Mine was shooting great today before the Ameriglo front sight decided to fall off... The sight was very easy to install so my LGS thought this might happened and we swapped it out today. The new sight seems much tighter and hopefully it stays put.

I freakin love the grip texture on this pistol along with the medium-large back strap, its awesome.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 5:41:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Update: Talked to Apex and they recommend the sear and ultimate striker block. The striker block will smooth out the pre-travel. The sear will result in a 3.75-4.25lb trigger pull with a crisp break.

I'll be ordering these parts along with the GS fit Barrel. Probably the aluminum trigger as well because I'm not much a fan of the hinged trigger.

The trigger shoes come with an extra power sear spring. What does this spring do to the trigger? The sear doesn't come with an extra power sear spring so I was curious why it comes with the trigger shoes.
View Quote

Straight trigger?
You can get more leverage on the straight trigger which would reduce the feel of the 2nd stage and make it harder to anticipate the break.
The whole kit reduces pull and makes the 2nd stage more pronounced instead of "BANG, surprise"
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 5:19:34 AM EDT
[#21]
I looked at a new 2.0 in 9mm no safe on Sat I liked it, felt good in the hand but I still think it had a long take up on the trigger .
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 9:07:25 AM EDT
[#22]
I have the Apex parts. Waiting for the sights so that I can have the gunsmith do everything at once.

Will shoot it more today or tomorrow Stock. Haven't shot it in a couple weeks due to blowing out my back and being in Vegas.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:57:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for the review and ongoing updates.  With the changes in the 2.0, it is the first time I have wanted an M&P and have been waiting on feedback from users.  Appreciate it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 4:01:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for the review.  I am torn between the Glock 19 (quick shorter and duel purpose), the 34 or the M&P M2.0 long slide for getting into 3 gun.
Would love your input?   Glock fan since 1993, but purchased a Shield last yr for CC, and love it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:24:32 PM EDT
[#25]
The 34 is hard to beat for 3 gun. BUT the 2.0 is really sweet and with a couple Apex parts you can have a really nice trigger. Comes down to preference at that point as far as grip and trigger goes. I'm swaying towards the m&p's now if my 2.0 keeps holding up. They just need to come out with the compact versions now.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:43:13 AM EDT
[#26]
I shot 150 rounds in the 2.0 yesterday. Remington UMC 124g. Zero failures. I do notice that while doing press checks it's very sluggish to return to battery. I've noticed this since new.

I was running drills and it's very easy to control. Did a couple 10 shot groups at 25 yards. I scored a 92 and an 88 on a B8. The 88 was weird because I had 6 shots in the 10-ring. Two in the 8 but two flyers in the 6. I called one of those shots because I know I pulled it but the other not sure.

Overall it seems like a great gun.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:49:36 PM EDT
[#27]
There is always bias in a review. You disclosed yours and gave a fair appraisal of the firearm at-hand. You did better than most professional reviewers.

My opinion of the M&Ps versus the Glocks in general: They both shoot very similarly. What sways me is not the shooting - it's that the M&P's are built from the ground up for clearing stoppages. Every gun has stoppages and the M&P was the first gun I ever shot that seemed to have most of the surfaces at the stoppage points deburred so they don't cut bare flesh. The Glocks are OK in this regard but S&W made the concept an art on this venture. I really wanted to stay in love with the Glocks forever but S&W outplayed Glock at their own game.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:12:01 PM EDT
[#28]
I've had a couple M&Ps (9FS, 45FS and Shield9) and liked them but not enough to keep any. The 5" FDE does look appealing. It they made a threaded optics cut version I would definitely buy one, and may anyways.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:56:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I've had a couple M&Ps (9FS, 45FS and Shield9) and liked them but not enough to keep any. The 5" FDE does look appealing. It they made a threaded optics cut version I would definitely buy one, and may anyways.
View Quote

I am certain they will.

I may stop off at the gunsmith today/tomorrow to have those Apex parts put in.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:11:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
About to send my M&P9 back to S&W to look into the inconsistent accuracy.  If they can't dial it in I'm selling it and buying a 2.0.  GrabAGun has them for $449, and my Academy will price match and take an extra 5% off.  I'm looking hard at the FDE 5" model for a few extra bucks, though....  Just need to ditch the manual safety.

http://assets.academy.com/mgen/53/10763953.jpg?is=500,500
View Quote

I probably won't buy one but that is the best looking striker fired gun I've seen. That 5" in fde in .45 would be tits. How many rounds do the full sized .45s carry?

I hope the 2.0s do well
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:12:08 PM EDT
[#31]
(almost) everyone should own a few punches and a small hammer
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:13:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I probably won't buy one but that is the best looking striker fired gun I've seen. That 5" in fde in .45 would be tits. How many rounds do the full sized .45s carry?
I hope the 2.0s do well
View Quote

If it's like the 1.0, then the flush mags will hold 10 and the extended factory mags will hold 14.
They sacrificed capacity for a thinner, less brick-shaped grip compared to the Glock 21.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:46:45 PM EDT
[#33]
I don't care for the FDE color on firearms, but the Smith looks sharp in that color.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:05:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Same.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:00:49 PM EDT
[#35]
So what should I buy next to test alongside the 2.0. Maybe a P320 compact because I rag on them but would like to put a couple thousand rounds through one, or maybe an HK 45?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:59:26 AM EDT
[#36]
I would go P320. If you like it, good!  If not, you will definitely get your money out of it because with the Army Contract they will likely be sparse for awhile. You will at least get you $$ back on it.

Love my 2.0 BTW.

cp
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:04:26 PM EDT
[#37]
^^^ nice choice with the Atlanta Arms. They blow the big factory ammo producers out of the water IMO.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:04:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
^^^ nice choice with the Atlanta Arms. They blow the big factory ammo producers out of the water IMO.
View Quote

Yeah and the groups I get from all my guns are fantastic.
Cp
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 11:07:34 AM EDT
[#39]
I wonder if/when the compacts will be offered in 2.0
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 6:58:16 PM EDT
[#40]
^^^ Hopefully soon.

On another forum there was more than one person saying that a p320 is noticeably better shooting than a 2.0 when shooting side by side. I find that hard to believe so I'm definitely buying one now to compare for myself and will report my findings here.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:47:23 PM EDT
[#41]
I will be shooting them side by side saturday. Just bought a 320 compact for the same reason . Like the feel of both but I still prefer the 2.0 in hand better ...at the moment. Will see how they shoot.
Cp
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 8:02:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I will be shooting them side by side saturday. Just bought a 320 compact for the same reason . Like the feel of both but I still prefer the 2.0 in hand better ...at the moment. Will see how they shoot.
Cp
View Quote

Please post here once you do.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 8:53:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Will the Apex triggers work in the new 2.0 line? Or is Apex going to have to make new parts?
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:10:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Will the Apex triggers work in the new 2.0 line? Or is Apex going to have to make new parts?
View Quote

Apex has a page on their website for the 2.0. Most parts are interchangeable.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:12:23 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Odd, they HAD two of their basic triggers on the 2.0 section, but now they're gone...
They must be working on something different.

https://store.apextactical.com/WebDirect/Products/Category?categoryId=71
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:13:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

They don't list any triggers for the 2.0 on the site anymore, but they do have sears, striker blocks and springs.
The sear won't do as much for the 2.0, as the front ramp surface isn't even used on the 2.0.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 5:50:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

They don't list any triggers for the 2.0 on the site anymore, but they do have sears, striker blocks and springs.
The sear won't do as much for the 2.0, as the front ramp surface isn't even used on the 2.0.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They told me the sear would give a 3.75-4.25lb pull and crisper and that the striker block would clean up the pre-travel.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:51:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Thank you.  I have 4 Gen 1's all different except for one thing I put the APEX trigger in all of them, the Tactical package.  I don't see a reason to buy a Gen 2, but I might buy my son's one and just go for the APEX Seer.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:08:23 AM EDT
[#49]
I think I'll wait for a 4" 2.0 Pro to come out and swap my apex parts over to it.

I just dont know what to do with my 5" LE 1.0 model.  I doubt it will hold its value...  Probably not worth selling it for $300 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top