User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:10:43 PM EDT
[#1]
she bought 30 years ago
View Quote

Any maintenance in the ensuing 30 years?

It is still rather inadequate.

Get her a 9mm SHE LIKES to handle and go from there.

Keep in mind that the smaller the gun the worse the recoil and overall handling.

A tiny .22 mag can be a PITA to practice with enough to gain needed experience.

They are supposed to make you comfortable not necessarily BE comfortable.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:18:30 PM EDT
[#2]
My wife decided on a Kahr CW9. It is big enough to get a good grip on, is a proven caliber - 9mm, is thin due to being single stack, and has a good double action trigger pull. She liked my G19 and Shield but thought the trigger on the Kahr needed a more deliberate pull than the M&P or Glock which appealed to her.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:01:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Let her try out (i.e., shoot, not just hold) as many handguns in that genre as you can possibly borrow or rent and come to HER own conclusions on the matter.

I assure you that you will both be happier in the end if you take that approach.
View Quote

This.  I went through 3-4 guns trying to pick my wife's gun out for her.  She was never interested in any of them and never shot them.  I told her I was done trying to pick one out and that she was free to get whatever she wanted as long as it was something reliable and "mainstream" enough that parts/accessories wouldn't be hard to find.  She shot a few different things, handled a bunch more, and took interest in a Shield 9mm.  Personally I think it feels goofy and has a shitty trigger, but she would rather have that Shield than a $5000 SVI custom gun.  She won't even let me put an Apex kit in it or change the sights because she likes it just the way it is.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 5:00:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Just a minor recommendation that worked for me.
On the 42, a mag extension and talon grit grip made all the difference in the world.
She loves the sandpaper grip and it will not move in the hand.
It is small for me but with the grit it makes a difference for me as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, my sister and I had a good time at the range.  It wasn’t a surprise to me that of the four handguns I brought along he favorites were the Kahr TP9 and the S&W 15-4.  She didn't like the grip on the Glock 42, too small, and she has small hands being about 5'2 and 100 pounds.  The didn't have a problem with the Shield's grip but had trouble manipulating the slide.

The Model 15 is a square butt, so it wasn't a perfect fit, she would be better off with a round butt revolver, or perhaps a GP100 with the compact grips.  

So, the two pistols I have that are regularly recommended for women, she didn't like.  

On the 42, a mag extension and talon grit grip made all the difference in the world.

She really liked the Kahr TP9.  She just didn't care for the Glock 42, adding a finger extension and grip tape would probably help some, but she just didn't click with the gun at all.  Since this is primarily going to be a home defense and range gun I have no real desire to try and steer her to a .380.  If she does decide to carry in the future Kahr makes pistols that function in exactly the same manner, and with the same trigger, in a variety of sizes and calibers.  Having Kahr's "Full Size" pistol for a first handgun isn't a bad thing.  It fits her hand well and has both a full grip and a "service length" barrel.  Plus, the 9x19 is no slouch these days and ammo is still about the cheapest one will find for centerfire handguns.  

So, I gave her the TP9 for her birthday and she was thrilled.  

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:00:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

She really liked the Kahr TP9.  She just didn't care for the Glock 42, adding a finger extension and grip tape would probably help some, but she just didn't click with the gun at all.  Since this is primarily going to be a home defense and range gun I have no real desire to try and steer her to a .380.  If she does decide to carry in the future Kahr makes pistols that function in exactly the same manner, and with the same trigger, in a variety of sizes and calibers.  Having Kahr's "Full Size" pistol for a first handgun isn't a bad thing.  It fits her hand well and has both a full grip and a "service length" barrel.  Plus, the 9x19 is no slouch these days and ammo is still about the cheapest one will find for centerfire handguns.  
<a href="https://postimg.org/image/wpuba5odv/" target="_blank">https://s5.postimg.org/ldhpsdfp3/Caroline_Kahr_Flash_Closeup.jpg</a>
<a href="https://postimage.org" target="_blank">https://s5.postimg.org/ghe30ofjr/Caroline_Kahr_Flash_Closeup_1.jpg</a>

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="https://postimg.org/image/wpuba5odv/" target="_blank">https://s5.postimg.org/ldhpsdfp3/Caroline_Kahr_Flash_Closeup.jpg</a>
<a href="https://postimage.org" target="_blank">https://s5.postimg.org/ghe30ofjr/Caroline_Kahr_Flash_Closeup_1.jpg</a>

You are a great brother.
Glad you took time to help assist with helping her pick out a pistol she liked and will shoot.
Now big brother, help her with quality gear selection for carry and range.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:38:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You are a great brother.
Glad you took time to help assist with helping her pick out a pistol she liked and will shoot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are a great brother.

I was impressed, she is one of the only inexperienced shooters I have ever taught that didn't have a problem keeping a high enough grip on the gun.  She has only fired a handgun a few times in the past and never really got any instruction in the process.  So, we spent about half an hour at her kitchen table going over the basics and the function of each handgun I brought along.  She was clearly listening and did very well.  

We have our next range visit planned already.  I'm hoping to get her to a point over time where she is comfortable getting a permit and carrying, but I'm not going to push her, I'll let her get there in her time, not mine.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:28:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
See if you can rent a Walther CCP.

My wife tried a variety of 9mms and 380s and liked the CCP the best. Now she carries it in a CCW purse every day.

You'll hear lots of badmouthing of the CCP. Ours has been 100%
View Quote

I'd read it is also really easy to rack the slides on CCP's.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:12:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Any decent sized 9mm with 147gr bullets will feel a lot better than any .40 or .45.   My wife really likes my full sized Glocks with my 147gr reloads.
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:28:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
See if you can rent a Walther CCP.

My wife tried a variety of 9mms and 380s and liked the CCP the best. Now she carries it in a CCW purse every day.

You'll hear lots of badmouthing of the CCP. Ours has been 100%

That is true, and one of the big selling points.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 1:12:58 AM EDT
[#10]
My wife really likes her Performance Center Shield 9mm.  She also really likes my Sig P320 carry and said she wants one of them next because of the increased capacity.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 9:25:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Another STUPID, "My wife needs a small gun" Post!  Some of the softest shooting guns made, are .45 & .40.  I doubt they're too "intimidating" to her.  The grips may be overly big/blocky, but that's it!  Small caliber/gun combos SUCK!  Whatever SHE's comfortable with, is the RIGHT choice for HER.  My wife shoots my S&W 27, because that's what she's comfortable with.  She doesn't touch any of my autos, 9mm, 45, 40, 357sig!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top