Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 7:36:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought My 92 FS in 1991, largely because it was the direction the military had gone for a handgun, then it did also have the Hollywood appeal.  I rented one at a range along with other pistols, and found that it functioned well with any ammo I fed it, was very accurate, and just exuded some style and craftsmanship that was, maybe not so common to find at the time.  I ended up with an Italian model, because MD made guns were still mostly being directed to military and LE contracts.  

A couple years later I joined the Navy.  Qualified initially with some of the last of the 1911s that were left in issue, and they were showing their age with poor accuracy and reliability, (Though it is not fair to compare them as the armorers knew they were nearing the end of their service, so it is a reflection that moment in time, which I realize from my other experiences with better maintained 1911s.)  My subsequent qualifications with the M9 went much better.  I shot fleet matches with the Beretta and did quite well.  I found myself in the minority though of military folks who liked the M9, as most "old salts" held greater nostalgia for the 1911.

Having shot Sig, Beretta, CZ, Browning, Glock, S&W, HK and other brands.  I think the Beretta M9/92 series guns hold up very favorably.  I will also agree that as I have grown in my hand gunning experience I prefer a decocker only on DA/SA guns, but I have not personally experienced any trouble deactivating or accidentally activating the M9 safety after 25 years of shooting one.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 10:34:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Had a chance to trade for a Beretta 92FS with my uncle for a hunting rifle I was no longer using (plus originally got the rifle from him and he wanted it back). Was a police surplus one from Greensboro, NC police department where his son (my cousin) worked at and eventually retired as assistant chief. I was fixing to join the military, so I wanted something I could go ahead and practice with prior to joining. Plus I was joining as a 19K-M1A1 Abrams tank crew member and our primary weapon would be a M9. Figured after I learned to shoot with it good enough, I'd trade it towards another Glock which I preferred..

Fastfoward to after basic and spending some time on the range thanks to Uncle Sam, I decided I wanted to keep it. Granted I did have night sites installed by local gunsmith while I was overseas, installed D spring and went through a few sets of grips before finally just settled on Hours

It's mainly a range gun at this time and so I can feel nostalgic for my days spent with Uncle Sam
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 12:13:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought my Beretta 92FS in 1984 (Made in Italy) before the U.S. Armed Forces adopted it. The contract forced Beretta to move manufacture inside the USA.

It's a huge firearm IMO, but it has historical significance and is both reliable and accurate. It would serve you well for inside the home or in the car. It is a poor choice for concealed carry because it can't be concealed.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 1:46:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought my Beretta 92FS in 1984 (Made in Italy) before the U.S. Armed Forces adopted it. The contract forced Beretta to move manufacture inside the USA.

It's a huge firearm IMO, but it has historical significance and is both reliable and accurate. It would serve you well for inside the home or in the car. It is a poor choice for concealed carry because it can't be concealed.
View Quote

Oooo, I'd like to see that one.  I also think you're overstating that it "Can't" be concealed.  I've carried mine.  I really don't like to though.  Last time I got a back ache and I think it was from the gun.  LOL.  But I've done it.  Others do it too.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 8:34:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Carrying my vertec at 1 o'clock

Now with a tshirt

Link Posted: 10/31/2016 12:23:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 3:17:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Went ahead and bought a 92A1. Found some holsters from Desantis but browsing some more.
View Quote

You'll enjoy it. Blackhawk makes a serpa that fits the 92A1. Model BW-HT-ABFFDF-44H004BK-R (or -L for left hand) and they have a 50% rebate that ends in a week.

I ordered one, haven't used it yet, but I carried my M9 in a serpa for 9 months and it I liked it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 7:53:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You'll enjoy it. Blackhawk makes a serpa that fits the 92A1. Model BW-HT-ABFFDF-44H004BK-R (or -L for left hand) and they have a 50% rebate that ends in a week.

I ordered one, haven't used it yet, but I carried my M9 in a serpa for 9 months and it I liked it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Went ahead and bought a 92A1. Found some holsters from Desantis but browsing some more.

I've got a Kydex OWB holster from Bravo Concealment and I've got a couple Safariland type 3 holsters that are "surplus".

I like the safariland as it's ultra secure when holstered.
I like the Kydex because it's VERY fast to draw.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 2:55:40 PM EDT
[#9]
My Beretta 92fs is a 1992 (first year) Centurion. No legal BS markings. Most accurate 9mm I own and the Trijicons still have a  faint glow.
A gift from the wife many years ago. Serves nightstand duty.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 10:39:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Its the smoothest and sweetest-shooting 5" 9mm. I couldn't live with the fat grip on the 92FS so I gave it to my son who still is crazy about it 15 years later. I realized later that I still hankered for an aluminum-frame 9mm so I got a CZ75 P-01. Itch scratched! The grip feels perfect and it only gives up one round to the Beretta, plus it's more compact for carry.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 12:08:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you certain that that particular one fits the the 92A1? Not saying you are wrong, but it seems like some people say that SERPA fits it, and other people who have tried it say no...
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 6:50:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought my M9 for 2 reasons...What the Military uses & ignorance.
It was my 1st firearm, & after trying to conceal it I went to a G27.....
I rarely shoot the M9. But I'm never selling it either.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 7:20:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Are you certain that that particular one fits the the 92A1? Not saying you are wrong, but it seems like some people say that SERPA fits it, and other people who have tried it say no...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The model I posted fits. The other M9 holsters do not fit the 92A1.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top