Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/18/2016 10:06:28 PM EDT
After looking at Beretta's 92 family of handguns it got me thinking: why do people still buy the FS version of this pistol? With pistols like the 92A1 and the M9A3 on the market, with their replaceable front sights and railed dust cover they would make better bedside/home-defense guns. That and you don't have to shell out money for a rail adapter or send the whole slide to a specialized gunsmith to put night sights on it like you will with the FS.

So why do other folks buy the 92FS? Is it because of nostalgia? Or is it because the military uses it?

And you own a 92FS, what is your experience with it?
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 10:13:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an M9.  It's a great shooting pistol.  Like anything it has it's downsides.  It is big.  But that kind of works in it's favor when actually shooting.  It shoots very soft.   The slide safety / decocker is kind of a pain to deal with at times.

Any way you slice it, it's a good pistol.  It has had a resurgence in popularity lately.  And people are seeing the upsides it has maybe a little more than they used to.  I think I, and a couple of other guys (cough shipwreck cough), were the only ones on here who actually liked mine for years.  But I do have to admit, I don't really like carrying it.    I bought it before our state had CCW.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 10:18:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Issued one for years. Really liked it. Always reliable and shot straight...just not something I'd buy for myself. If someone gave me one I'd keep it. Very large and bulky for a 9mm. They definitely look the tits.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 10:31:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I picked up a LNIB M-9 at my LGS for $420.  It was my first Beretta.  I had a Taurus 92.  Now I have 3 Berettas.  They are great handguns, and the FS model is a little smaller and lighter, easier handling than my 92A1.  

But my favorite is my M9A1 Compact.  

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 10:41:52 PM EDT
[#4]
92G>92FS IMHO.  The safety is overly redundant.  We carry them round in the chamber, hammer down (DA first pull), safety off.  

I bought one because I'm one of the "minority" of people who shoot it well, enjoy shooting it, and actually like the design.  I want to get a 92 compact and a M9A3 at some point.  Being issued one has something to do with it....and also why I own a P228, 1911, and G19.  Been issued all 4 at one point or another.  Currently I've got a M11 assigned to me.  Should be swapping that out in the next few months.

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 11:03:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I have had my 92fs for quite some time and like the way it shoots. It shoots like a laser and functions like it moves on ball bearings. There is something classic about the pistol and it is just a timeless piece.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 11:03:18 PM EDT
[#6]
They are good guns and have a certain amount of nostalgia.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 11:10:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I like owning a copy of my issued weapon. It's not my favorite handgun, but it shoots pretty well for me.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 11:20:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Being a child of the 80s, I always wanted a 92 and ordered a police model with 3 mags from Bud's for $579 this summer. It's not my HD or CCW pistol but it does sneak into my range bag on almost every trip and is a fantastic shooter. The P38 locking lug system is neat in today's browning inspired world, the slide feels very very smooth and the sights are just fine at the range. I'm not really crazy about the DA trigger but the SA trigger is very nice. The fit, finish and feel of the gun is outstanding compared to a polymer gun of the same price range.

Buy one if you are wanting to add to your collection, I doubt you will regret it.

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 11:23:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Depending on the deployment, I've been issued a Sig and a Beretta. I bought both and carry/shoot the sig regularly but bust the the Beretta out once in a while to remain proficient. I hate the safety though.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 12:55:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Good cheap mags!

Great pistol in my experience, fat grip, and dumb safety. Other than the safety I really like the 92 but I believe there are better pistols out that beat the beretta at everything.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 2:07:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Have you seriously never seen Die Hard?!?!  

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:54:02 AM EDT
[#12]
part of it is aftermarket, especially in regards to holsters. There is a lot more 92FS holsters on the market than 92A1 or M9A1 holsters.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:12:38 AM EDT
[#13]
92G-SD is best 92.

So many people didn't read the OP.   The only reason to buy a 92FS over other variants is because you can find cheap LEO trade-ins.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:47:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Every 92FS I own, I got because a good deal fell into my lap. I think I have 3 92FSs at the moment.

I don't care anything about attaching a flashlight to them, and I'm not about to pay a premium for a 92A1 just so I could.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:53:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Every 92FS I own, I got because a good deal fell into my lap. I think I have 3 92FSs at the moment.

I don't care anything about attaching a flashlight to them, and I'm not about to pay a premium for a 92A1 just so I could.
View Quote

This is about the only way I would get a 92/M9 is if a great deal fell into my lap and I think I might still pass.  I hated the M9 especially safety models the decocker is not bad but I hate where they placed it for one.  Then the 4x4 feeling grip the Glock 2x4 grip I like but the 92/M9 grip is .  The trigger is not bad stock and I have felt some nice tuned ones but the other stuff is deal breaker for me.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 11:05:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Beretta's are great guns. Usually the FS versions are more plentiful and cheaper so more people own them. If I was to buy another Beretta 92 is would be a G model with decocker only. Part of me really wants that Wilson 92G pistol, it's sweet. Of course I do love my INOX 92FS, sexy beast.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 1:29:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Not everyone wants or needs a rail on a handgun.  The Vertec frame with a G slide is my favorite configuration.  I find the 92 family to be accurate and very reliable.  The 9mm 115rn bullet is not the best man stopper but these handle 147 P+ as long as you have a newer design locking block.  I really like mine but not selling any of my 1911's yet.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 2:36:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Mel Gibson,Lethal Weapon
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 2:47:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Bruce Willis in Die Hard
Mel Gibson in Lethal Weapon
The U.S. Marines

Quite simply....it is the sexiest handgun ever made in my opinion.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 3:17:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This is about the only way I would get a 92/M9 is if a great deal fell into my lap and I think I might still pass.  I hated the M9 especially safety models the decocker is not bad but I hate where they placed it for one.  Then the 4x4 feeling grip the Glock 2x4 grip I like but the 92/M9 grip is .  The trigger is not bad stock and I have felt some nice tuned ones but the other stuff is deal breaker for me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

4x4, really?  To me it's got a nice rounded feel that pretty much has no rival.  If anything, how it feels is one of  it's biggest asset. Besides felt recoil and accuracy. IMHO.  It is rounded though.  Way more than a Glock.   But I'll give you fat, yes it's wiiiiide.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 3:29:45 PM EDT
[#21]
I despise the notion of a cheese-grater on the front of a Beretta.

Pretty much despise the notion of it on ANY handgun. Sort of tolerate the single grater-notch on Glocks.

92-type guns have stood the test of time. They just fucking work. Plenty of supplies for spare parts should you need them.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 4:02:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

4x4, really?  To me it's got a nice rounded feel that pretty much has no rival.  If anything, how it feels is one of  it's biggest asset. Besides felt recoil and accuracy. IMHO.  It is rounded though.  Way more than a Glock.   But I'll give you fat, yes it's wiiiiide.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have big hands and think a G21 feels better than a M9/92FS.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 5:23:17 PM EDT
[#23]
My first duty gun was a Beretta 92 SB.  Not a SB-F, not a F, not a FS, but the SB with the blue finish, round trigger guard, and the lack of a beveled magazine well.  It predated Beretta USA and the adoption of the M9.  I've loved the platform ever since.

I won't argue that there are more modern, more efficient 9mm handguns out there, clearly there are.  However, it is still my favorite service sized 9mm. I prefer the G model because I don't like the safety, but otherwise it is a fantastic pistol, if a little retro.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:33:11 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a 92FS, and while I wish the sights could easily be replaced don't care about a picatinny rail.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:57:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have a 92FS, and while I wish the sights could easily be replaced don't care about a picatinny rail.
View Quote

There are target models available.

The FS/M9 are more point-and-click -- which is how most pistol-involved gunfights tend to be.
One of those whoever-shoots-first things.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:06:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Because they're fantastic guns. Why do people still buy 1911s when they have Colt Rail Guns and Sig "Gun of the month" railed model?
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:48:31 PM EDT
[#27]
So, are the Italian made 92FS better, or not, than the US made M9?
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 12:02:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
So, are the Italian made 92FS better, or not, than the US made M9?
View Quote

No real difference except for rollmarks and stampings.

The Italians do come with a hammer spring cap roll pin instead of a solid "dogbone" pin like the Americans. I always replace it (along with adding D spring) to the solid pin for maintenance ease.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 12:53:38 AM EDT
[#29]
I've had mine since before they came with rails. And it's just a range gun, I don't need or want night sights and a light on all my weapons. I'm also in the military and it was a gift when I commissioned as an officer from my father. If I was going to use one for serious work, then yes I would want a light and night sights. I've got Glocks for all of my duty and carry weapons.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:56:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Some people are prefer to keep a rail off a gun if they aren't going to use it like on a carry gun, range toy, or competition gun. Like previously stated most people don't get railed 1911s.

On many guns like the 1911 or Beretta it messes up the lines of the gun (to some) and if you have no use for the rail what's the point
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 11:50:21 AM EDT
[#31]
One word.. "ICONIC"
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 11:51:39 AM EDT
[#32]
I bought a 92fs years ago, and at that time the G models were not in production, and the M9 cost more and didn't have a replaceable front sight.  I went with the Italian made FS because that's what the store had the best deal on.  If I were buying today, it would be a G model.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 2:15:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Some people are prefer to keep a rail off a gun if they aren't going to use it like on a carry gun, range toy, or competition gun. Like previously stated most people don't get railed 1911s.

On many guns like the 1911 or Beretta it messes up the lines of the gun (to some) and if you have no use for the rail what's the point
View Quote

None of my carry guns have a light.  And probably won't ever.  A handheld works just fine for me and the gun is way less bulky when carrying, obviously.  I'd say the majority of people don't have a light on their carry gun.  It doesn't just have to be a range gun to not have a light.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 3:42:55 PM EDT
[#34]
I enjoy mine immensely.
Accurate and have never had a malfunction.
Lots of surplus and aftermarket parts and magazines.
Many holster choices for different carry options.
9mm ammo everywhere.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 5:31:15 PM EDT
[#35]
I have two 92 FS's.  One is an Italian model that has a slightly better finish than the other made in Maryland.

Both are extremely accurate and have never malfunctioned with any ammo. They are dead nuts reliable and I feel safe with one close at hand.

15 + 1 rounds of 124 gr. +P Speer Gold Dot ammo is the loadout in each.  

They are among the finest combat handguns available IMHO. They  don't need rails since I don't want a laser or light hanging from them.

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 6:31:52 PM EDT
[#36]
We bought my wife's 92FS almost 20 years ago during the AWB.  I still have the old 10 round magazines.  

The only malfunction that pistol has had in many, many thousands of rounds has been a case failure in some reloaded ammo.  I have competed with this pistol in USPSA and 3-Gun, and it is the 9mm by which I judge all others.  The only 9mm pistol that has equalled the accuracy I get with this old 92FS is a CZ 75 Shadow from the CZ Custom Shop.

It may not have replaceable sights or high zoot decocker-only levers.  But the 92FS is a great pistol.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 6:39:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Dunno.  I bought a used 92A1.  I really dislike fixed sights that can't easily be regulated to my preferred point of impact, and the option to easily install night sights was a bonus for me.

I would not carry a pistol as big as the 92 series willingly, so I welcomed the rail.  I put a Surefire on it and it may as well be welded on at this point.

The 92A1 is extremely soft shooting (especially with the light attached) so I use it primarily as a newbie shooting gun at the range.  I wanted to provide a good representative example of a DA/SA pistol as I currently did not have one in my stable.

I have enjoyed the 92A1 more than I thought I would.  As for a no frills 92FS?  Not my bag, but hey, more for the rest of ya.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 11:01:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Because they're fantastic guns. Why do people still buy 1911s when they have Colt Rail Guns and Sig "Gun of the month" railed model?
View Quote

This.

The basic 92 is a great pistol for someone that wants the features it has at its price point. For a HD gun the A series makes more sense.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:37:53 AM EDT
[#39]
I would still have my second one, if I hadn't needed cash. It was a police trade in, in about 98% condition.

Positives:

1. Looks great.
2. Soft shooter.
3. Reliable.
4 Cheap mags everywhere.
5 Great feeling grip.

Negatives:

1. Oversized, but that's no big deal, IMHO.

I ask myself all the time, "why do people buy all the overpriced 1911's, when there are so many other guns out there?"

The 92FS is one of those great guns, along with the CZ and CZ clones, and a bunch of other guns I would take over a 1911. I haven't owned one since 1981. and expect to die 1911 free.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:26:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Started out carrying the 1911 in the service, liked the thin grip, no, it's not heavy in the right kind of belt holster. They aren't pocket guns. Later I bought a new 92FS because they were cheaper than 1911's, even used. Eventually sold it. Then the M9 was issued, and carried that. FAT grip but it worked just as good. Heavy? It's no lighter with a double stack magazine, which a lot seem to ignore.

Recently with the talk about selling 1911's thru the CMP I got to looking back at them, and the price predictions and quality weren't going well. Looked at the marketplace for a civilian gun, most are imports and very few even close to an issue A1. They are all street racing guns sold for looks. The 92, no, not so much, altho Wilson is now offering parts. Still, it's 9mm double stack and for that I could get a Browning HiPower. Except, those aren't cheap ever.

Kept looking.

Bought a 3rd Generation .45ACP S&W pistol in all stainless. Line them up - a Smith 4506, a 92FS,, a Hipower, even a CZ75, in steel frames they all weigh fractions of an ounce the same, slide length the same, and every one is said to have light recoil, easy handling, it's just a "tank" and highly reliable.

The 4566 I bought was $435. I got my money's worth. There's a lot of noise about small plastic pocket guns these days, what the gun writers are missing is that a lot of buyers are also snapping up the full sized guns as they come off LEO trade ins and that market is moving briskly right now. A lot of us missed the HK P7's at $450 or the 1911's and HiPowers in the day, we are buying the big guns of the 80's and 90's at the low point of their sale price. Berretas are part of that.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:05:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Nothing as complicated as some of the posted reasons.  I always wanted a Beretta 92, had a slew of Glocks, guy traded me a BN 92fs for a G19, even up!  Has become my Range favorite, more so than my G4 G17 and P226ee!  I put the Factory Beretta 92 "D" hammer spring in it.  I strongly advise this mod for unrivaled DA trigger feel, AWESOME!
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:14:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Started out carrying the 1911 in the service, liked the thin grip, no, it's not heavy in the right kind of belt holster. They aren't pocket guns. Later I bought a new 92FS because they were cheaper than 1911's, even used. Eventually sold it. Then the M9 was issued, and carried that. FAT grip but it worked just as good. Heavy? It's no lighter with a double stack magazine, which a lot seem to ignore.

Recently with the talk about selling 1911's thru the CMP I got to looking back at them, and the price predictions and quality weren't going well. Looked at the marketplace for a civilian gun, most are imports and very few even close to an issue A1. They are all street racing guns sold for looks. The 92, no, not so much, altho Wilson is now offering parts. Still, it's 9mm double stack and for that I could get a Browning HiPower. Except, those aren't cheap ever.

Kept looking.

Bought a 3rd Generation .45ACP S&W pistol in all stainless. Line them up - a Smith 4506, a 92FS,, a Hipower, even a CZ75, in steel frames they all weigh fractions of an ounce the same, slide length the same, and every one is said to have light recoil, easy handling, it's just a "tank" and highly reliable.

The 4566 I bought was $435. I got my money's worth. There's a lot of noise about small plastic pocket guns these days, what the gun writers are missing is that a lot of buyers are also snapping up the full sized guns as they come off LEO trade ins and that market is moving briskly right now. A lot of us missed the HK P7's at $450 or the 1911's and HiPowers in the day, we are buying the big guns of the 80's and 90's at the low point of their sale price. Berretas are part of that.
View Quote

Actually a loaded m9 weighs less than an empty 1911
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 12:26:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Went ahead and bought a 92A1. Found some holsters from Desantis but browsing some more.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 5:19:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Because everything does not need a rail and night sights

Why do people still build M16A2 clones...

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 7:05:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Went ahead and bought a 92A1.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 7:42:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Went ahead and bought a 92A1. Found some holsters from Desantis but browsing some more.
View Quote

I hope you like it.

I carry my M9 every day.  a replacement barrel was found on Ebay (new take off part) for $40 and sent it to TT for threading and a protector.
I've got an extremely reliable suppressor ready pistol that shoots like butter.

have fun with yours!
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 5:45:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sweet. Go to WC and get their duty sights, the low profile single side safety, and a D spring.

Mine is freaking awesome, even coworkers that hate our M9's have been pretty praise worthy of the combo.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 9:03:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I carry my M9 every day.  
View Quote

In what?
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 11:20:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Soft shooting, boringly reliable, accurate with practice. Mine has over 12,000 rounds and never an issue...but I keep an extra locking block around just in case.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 6:54:09 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

In what?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I carry my M9 every day.  

In what?

I carry in a M3 tactical aiwb holster
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top