Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2016 3:46:04 PM EDT
Or whatever the glock model number is. I know this has been covered before but i am just wondering if I should ditch my LCP for a glock?  I can't hit the broad side of a barn with my LCP and that bugs me.  If I don't aim and just fire instinctively I can shoot ok, but if I aim it I am off by as much as 2 plus feet.  Any opinions out there (yes that was a retorical question, I know you guys too well).
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 4:02:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a P3AT and LCP... I can shoot my G42 (.380) Glock quicker with considerably more accurcy than either of them ... the long trigger pull of the P3AT/ LCP breaks near the grip... the Glock has a typical break for a Glock
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 4:13:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Long ago before the second version of the lcp I put the houge grip, sweet pea trigger and springs swap to my lcp. Ultimately its what they did to make the gen2 lcp. Just that made a huge difference in the shootability of the lcp. Is it a 1911? Of course not! But it pocket carries with ease. I hear the 42 is great but almost not in pocket class.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 5:48:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Or whatever the glock model number is. I know this has been covered before but i am just wondering if I should ditch my LCP for a glock?  I can't hit the broad side of a barn with my LCP and that bugs me.  If I don't aim and just fire instinctively I can shoot ok, but if I aim it I am off by as much as 2 plus feet.  Any opinions out there (yes that was a retorical question, I know you guys too well).
View Quote
What distance and have you tried different loads ?

I have the 42 and can shoot it well, used it in the gunfighter challenge and shoot it at 25yds and 50 occasionally.

Never used the Ruger.

Link to what a G42 trigger can be like.

Link Posted: 10/2/2016 6:40:24 PM EDT
[#4]
How far away are you shooting? With my small carry guns (LCP, CM40, LCR .38) If I can get the rounds on a 12 x 12 sheet of paper at 5 yards I'm happy.   You have to remember this is combat shooting, not competition shooting.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 7:42:13 PM EDT
[#5]
If your wanting the 380 Glock it is the model 42.  I have a Glock 42 and a Glock 43 but I like both.  The Glock 42 380 is very pleasant to shoot and very accurate.  I replaced the connector with a Ghost and have Trijicon HD night sights with the yellow front sight.  I have a range at my house and have a 12" X 14" steel plate.  My Glock 42 shoots a little high but if I aim at the lower third of my steel plate I can hit it consistently at 50 yards with my hand loads using 95 grain Remington FMJ.

My Daughter has a LCP but got a Glock 42 last year for Christmas.  She really likes her Glock 42 and carries it now instead of the LCP.  We're both carrying Hornady American Gunner 90 grain XTP.  We both carry the pistol with the flat mag base plate but our spare mags have Pearce +1 extensions.  My Glock 42 is a very early model and has been basically 100 % reliable.  My Daughter says she's had no failures with her G-42.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 8:21:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I have both an LCP and a G42. My LCP is a first generation model with the longer, heavier trigger and the smaller sights. I started out with the LCP in a DeSantis Nemesis for occasional pocket carry and it works very well for that. Light, small and the sights are small enough that I can't ever see them snagging on anything. I carried DA snubbie revolvers for several years, so the trigger actually seemed very good to me, lighter and shorter than my snubbies. The trigger on mine was actually pretty smooth, so that helped.

My trouble with the LCP was, ironically enough, the small size. I have pretty large hands and the LCP was just too small. If I had time to actually get a good grip on it, I shot it very well for how small the gun and sights were. The trouble was, if I had to grab it in a hurry, like if I actually had to draw and use it, most of the time I couldn't get a good grip on it because it was so small, then I didn't shoot it for shit. I qualified with it at my PD job and still carried it occasionally when I had a need for a very small gun that didn't print at all, but it wasn't the best option.

Early this year, one of the guys at the PD brought his G42 to qualify with and I got a chance to shoot one. I was hooked and bought the first one I could find. The G42 is slightly bigger than the LCP everywhere but the slide. The barrel and slide are about 1/2" longer than the LCP. The G42 also weighs a few more ounces than the LCP. I can't remember the exact weight, I want to say 4 of 5 ounces more. Aside from the barrel and slide, the G42 is very close to the size of an LCP.

The G42 shoots so much better for me than the LCP that I can't even describe it. The butt of the G42 is enough longer, front to back, that I can grab it very well, even in a hurry and it fills my hand much better. Mine had one of the old connectors in it when I got it and the trigger pull was about 8 lbs, give or take (I don't have a trigger pull gauge). Typical Glock trigger- easy take up, a definite wall, then a clean, crisp break. I put one of the new connectors in it and the difference is night and day. The trigger is now about 6 lbs with the same clean break. Not as crisp as it was, but a lot crisper than a regular Glock trigger.

Accuracy is simply amazing for the type of gun this is. It is VERY easy to shoot very well. Last Glock armorer's recert class I took last summer, the instructor said that some of the sales reps were shooting clay pigeons at 50 yds with G42s and getting regular hits. Not 100%, but pretty regularly. After shooting mine, I believe it. I'm not that good, but for someone who shoots a lot, I can see it. I would have no problem taking a shot at 15-20 yds if necessary. With the LCP, I would have limited that to MAYBE 10 yds.

The gun handles recoil very well. Recoil is very light and feels on par with my Ruger MKII when using cheap practice ammo and only a slight bit more with good SD ammo. This probably has to do with the slightly greater weight and the fact that the gun is VERY heavily sprung. Some of the weaker practice ammo doesn't run in the gun because it is too weak to cycle the slide reliably. I've never had any problem with American Eagle 95gr, so that is what I mostly shoot through it. All of the SD ammo I've tried (Speer Gold Dot and Fed Hydra Shoks, hardly a large sample size) works well.

The gun is enough larger than the LCP that pocket carry can be a challenge. It can be done, and I do it with mine, but it can be challenging. Make sure you have large pockets and a good pocket holster and you should be OK. I make sure that any pants I buy have larger pockets. If you have small pockets, it probably won't work. I'd say that it is at the upper size range for pocket carry, but it can be done fairly easily.

Over all, I REALLY like my G42. A good gun that shoots very well and a good purchase. It shoots so well that I sometimes find myself wanting to carry it IWB because it shoots so well and is pretty light. I have to make a conscious decision to carry my 9mm Shield. I'm not overjoyed by the .380 caliber, but it fits a niche very well for me and I don't dislike .380 enough to not carry it.

Bub75
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 9:08:20 PM EDT
[#7]
43 > 42 > LCP
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 9:31:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I have both, and use both. They're different carry guns for different niches. The 43 is a very small and convenient IWB gun, is pleasant to shoot, and (relatively) easy to shoot well. The LCP trades some shootability for increased ease of carry. If I'm just running to the store in gym shorts, I grab the LCP. If I could only have one I'd get the LCP as it's so small and convenient there's really no excuse to be caught not carrying, but I like having bigger options when I'm wearing more clothing or will be out longer. More options are always a good thing, especially if it allows you to carry more frequently and/or a bigger gun.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 10:04:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

43 > 42 > LCP
View Quote
Nailed it.

Link Posted: 10/3/2016 12:16:39 PM EDT
[#10]
LCP is a good pistol but the trigger is heavy.  The LCP is a great deep hide pistol that anyone can hide.  Making good hits with it is difficult because the pistol is just so small coupled with the heavy trigger.

The G43 and many SS9s (Walther PPS M1 is my favorite) are great pistols same goes for the LC9s and many others.

It really is hard to compare a G43 to a LCP G42 is little better comparison since they are same caliber.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 1:07:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
LCP is a good pistol but the trigger is heavy.  The LCP is a great deep hide pistol that anyone can hide.  Making good hits with it is difficult because the pistol is just so small coupled with the heavy trigger.

The G43 and many SS9s (Walther PPS M1 is my favorite) are great pistols same goes for the LC9s and many others.

It really is hard to compare a G43 to a LCP G42 is little better comparison since they are same caliber.
View Quote

Got an LCP in my front pocket at the Dr. right now...nobody knows.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 1:09:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Depends on what you want it for...

For pocket carry I would take a 42 over the LCP, and for IWB I would ditch the single stack all together and carry a G19.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 1:20:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The cute nurse does, she thinks you like her

Link Posted: 10/3/2016 1:42:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Depends on what you want it for...

For pocket carry I would take a 42 over the LCP, and for IWB I would ditch the single stack all together and carry a G19.
View Quote

For you and me this might work but for others carrying a G19 may not work.  My neighbor carries a G43 but he wears surfer boy type clothes with no belt but I usually wear pants with a carry belt undershirt and the whole get up.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 6:09:06 PM EDT
[#15]
out if all the basic common 380 pistols I've never found one better than the 42. It's a dream to shoot. I've said it before...I almost liked shooting my 42 more than my 43.

ETA- I carry a 19 tho of course
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 6:44:59 PM EDT
[#16]
If you want the serious compact, lightweight, can forget about it cause it's not inconvenient at all packaging, the LCP is the choice. If you want someone that's got a more durable finish (My LCP has some fairly serious holster wear after 4 1/2 years) then I'd get the Glock, And or if it's for a female shooter, I'd get the Glock.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 7:06:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If you want the serious compact, lightweight, can forget about it cause it's not inconvenient at all packaging, the LCP is the choice. If you want someone that's got a more durable finish (My LCP has some fairly serious holster wear after 4 1/2 years) then I'd get the Glock, And or if it's for a female shooter, I'd get the Glock.
View Quote

Nailed it.  Not much smaller that does the same job it does.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 7:22:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
How far away are you shooting? With my small carry guns (LCP, CM40, LCR .38) If I can get the rounds on a 12 x 12 sheet of paper at 5 yards I'm happy.   You have to remember this is combat shooting, not competition shooting.
View Quote

I have only tried some FMJ stuff through the new LCP.  I tried it at 25 yards first, aimed fire, and it was hitting several feet to the left.  Then I moved up to maybe 7-8 yards and tried again, still way off to the left.  I tried adjusting the sights... oh wait just kidding.  Anyway I tried shooting it "instinctively" and it was dead on and I actually had a couple of bullet holes touching.  So I guess it really isn't that bad but that trigger... staple gun .  If i want to carry something beter I do have a few other options (LCR or kimber ultra carry) but that LCP is just so small and light.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 7:26:00 PM EDT
[#19]
I've had both and kept the Glock.  Much smoother and easy to get back on target quickly
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 8:22:53 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a LCP Custom, which is an upgraded pistol compared to the standard LCP. Not that there is anything wrong with the base model but the Custom has a bigger/better trigger and real sights. The trigger makes it easier to shoot and the real sights allow for better target acquisition. I also have a G42 which is somewhat bigger but the trigger is smoother and fills a little bit more of your hand. I was surprised when I shot the G42 and LCP together. The LCP was snappy,due to it's size and the G42 was like shooting a 22 cal. pistol.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 8:31:11 AM EDT
[#21]
LCP = small enough for front pocket carry with long pull trigger, classic short range basic SD pistol for the everyman,
Glock = IWB style carry with Glock ergonomics.  Shoots easier obviously as it's bigger and has a shorter trigger pull. More like a BUG to full size Glock or off duty pistol.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 8:10:25 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a recently acquired LCP Custom.  Quite happy with the trigger once I oiled it.  Very snappy in my big paws.  Have added a Hogue Handall to it and it feels better in my hands.   I've heard the Hogue and a Galloway 13# recoil spring transforms the little LCP into something almost enjoyable to shoot.  The front sight launched off mine in less than 30 rounds.  I've got a new front sight on the way and have to pick up a sight tool for the install.  Gonna order the recoil spring shortly and when it all comes together we'll find out if it all helps.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 7:04:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have a recently acquired LCP Custom.  Quite happy with the trigger once I oiled it.  Very snappy in my big paws.  Have added a Hogue Handall to it and it feels better in my hands.   I've heard the Hogue and a Galloway 13# recoil spring transforms the little LCP into something almost enjoyable to shoot.  The front sight launched off mine in less than 30 rounds.  I've got a new front sight on the way and have to pick up a sight tool for the install.  Gonna order the recoil spring shortly and when it all comes together we'll find out if it all helps.
View Quote

Update us on that.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 7:15:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's the problem ?
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 7:54:19 PM EDT
[#25]
There's a new player in the LCP line-up.  The Custom is gone and the LCP II has been added.

http://www.ruger.com/products/lcpII/models.html

Link Posted: 10/7/2016 8:14:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
There's a new player in the LCP line-up.  The Custom is gone and the LCP II has been added.

View Quote

made hot

I'll admit that if I wanted to get back into pocket .380s, the LCPII would probably be it.  Looks intriguing.  I had an LCP for years, but recently sold it to consolidate calibers.  The 42 is a freaking boat anchor for what it is, so the smallest I go on semi autos is the 43.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 8:53:16 PM EDT
[#27]
There is quite a bit of difference in the size. If you can carry a 43 then I would. The LCP is for when you need something that small because you can't carry something larger. I have both and find both can be shot well, the LCP is just harder to shoot well. I've put 6 rds from the LCP in the head of a B-21E target at 23yds, sitting/supported. So the gun is accurate, just not so easy to shoot.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 8:34:00 PM EDT
[#28]
The LCP Custom is night and day difference when compared to the original LCP, and for only $10 more. Actual usable sights, and the shape of the trigger makes the pull feel much better.

Although I just picked up a G43 today, if I were comparing a 42 to the LCP Custom, I'd get the LCP Custom. There's just places it can go that the 42 can't.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 9:15:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

made hot

I'll admit that if I wanted to get back into pocket .380s, the LCPII would probably be it.  Looks intriguing.  I had an LCP for years, but recently sold it to consolidate calibers.  The 42 is a freaking boat anchor for what it is, so the smallest I go on semi autos is the 43.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

made hot

That does look very nice.

OP, I am equally accurate with both pistols, but significantly quicker with the Glock.  Unless concealability is paramount, I'd go with the Glock.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 8:09:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Had a first gen LCP, and the LCP II (gunsamerica review) noted the recoil was even more snappy than the first one. Yet the gun is slightly larger and one oz heavier. And you get that SAFE action trigger, for better or worse. It's still close to a 6 pound trigger, Ruger saying it's short and crisp is marketing blather. It's about the same as a Glock for all that.

I sold the LCP and later bought a Kahr CW380. I can shoot a box of 50 from it, rather than suffer shooting two mags thru the LCP. And it's no larger or heavier - if at all - than the LCP II. It's in the same class of pocket guns that include quite a few others. The Glock? No, it's not pocket class, which does make a comparison difficult.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 8:49:02 PM EDT
[#31]
LCP2 vs Glock 42 for a back up carry? Meh, I'd probably take the LCP2 (as long as it functions fine). For a main carry? Glock all day long.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 9:02:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Update us on that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Update us on that.

Finally got everything together and went to the range today.  The Hogue Handall and Galloway 13# recoil spring definitely makes the LCP tamer to shoot.  I'd still rather shoot a Sig P290RS 9mm but it's much closer to the way the Sig feels than before.  The first shoot with the LCP was painful.  I shot 33 rounds today and could have shot way more without any ill effects.   Took a few rounds to slow down jerking the trigger.  It's going to take some more work to remove the memory of the first shoot but it's usable now.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 6:13:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Not even a contest . Glock 43 every day , and twice on Sunday!!
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 10:28:23 AM EDT
[#34]
The LCP II trigger is nicer than my G42 trigger.

Link Posted: 11/2/2016 7:37:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The LCP II trigger is nicer than my G42 trigger.

View Quote

I'd give the LCPll a try.
I do really like the 42. My trigger is perfect with the 33564 connector.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 2:07:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I have both, and use both. They're different carry guns for different niches. The 43 is a very small and convenient IWB gun, is pleasant to shoot, and (relatively) easy to shoot well. The LCP trades some shootability for increased ease of carry. If I'm just running to the store in gym shorts, I grab the LCP. If I could only have one I'd get the LCP as it's so small and convenient there's really no excuse to be caught not carrying, but I like having bigger options when I'm wearing more clothing or will be out longer. More options are always a good thing, especially if it allows you to carry more frequently and/or a bigger gun.
View Quote

+1
poor_ph
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top