Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2016 2:29:07 AM EDT
I'm think the Ruger P series? How about any others?
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 2:36:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've never had a pistol damaged by steel cased ammo. Glock, Beretta, Taurus, Ruger, S&W.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 2:44:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've never had a pistol damaged by steel cased ammo. Glock, Beretta, Taurus, Ruger, S&W.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah seriously. The better question is are there any major brands that DO get damaged by steel? I don't think there are any.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 2:52:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Anything made post WW2 pretty much.  Probably most stuff before as well.

Over cleaning would do more damage to most guns than shooting steel case.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 3:04:32 AM EDT
[#4]
OK I didn't think stuff like Tulammo would do much harm to modern pistols. But isn't there a consensus that guns like the Ruger P series or such would be especially durable?

I guess maybe the better question is +P ammo, not just steel-cased ammo.

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 3:32:25 AM EDT
[#5]
HK
Glock
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 3:44:19 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

OK I didn't think stuff like Tulammo would do much harm to modern pistols. But isn't there a consensus that guns like the Ruger P series or such would be especially durable?

I guess maybe the better question is +P ammo, not just steel-cased ammo.
View Quote
It's 2016, everything is durable.

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 5:37:10 AM EDT
[#7]
All of them
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 6:18:55 AM EDT
[#8]
None on the steel question.
The +P and +P+ can be a valid question.

Most manufacturers post a disclaimer, read it and see ?

Talked to Underwood 2 days ago and they recommended that their +P loads should be shot in Ruger lcp's that have an extra power recoil spring installed.

Also didn't recommend a steady diet of +P in that particular pistol.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 8:03:47 AM EDT
[#9]
I suspect if you set aside $5-10 every time you buy a thousand rounds you could easily afford a new barrel and extractor if not whole another pistol by the time steel case wore anything out.

I've seen pistols that recommend against +P, some small ones I've seen I wouldn't try, some others I believe it's just a liability thing same as every pistols no reloads disclaimer. I'd venture most duty pistols carried by PDs see +P or +P+ in one dept or another, since I've known more than one PD to issue such ammo.

I wouldn't worry any European or NATO issued 9mm and +P since they don't care about SAAMI and have been notoriously loading hot for decades. In domestically produced 45s bumping up recoil springs might be wise, in the 1911 I'd add a small radius FPS as well.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 8:24:03 AM EDT
[#10]
I have heard rumors, and rumors of rumors, that steel cased will cause more wear.  But I have only heard this from a steel on steel vs brass on steel argument.  I have not seen any documented proof of this happening.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:11:45 AM EDT
[#11]
every gun I've ever shot (more than 30 variants) has done fine with steel and aluminum cased crap ammo
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:54:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Everything i have runs steel cased ammo just fine.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 11:39:09 AM EDT
[#13]
I have had issues with pistols with stepped chambers and my HK P7s shooting steel.  Never damage from steel case.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 3:23:15 PM EDT
[#14]
When FN dropped the P series pistol line for the X series, chamber tolerances were loosened up to be more accommodating to steel cased ammo. My FNX-45 runs steel case fine.

But overall the only 'damage' to a pistol running steel case ammo is slightly increased barrel wear from the bimetal bullets and possibly more wear on the extractor.

If we're choosing a pistol strictly for the purposes of running steel case ammo (mainly made in ex-soviet bloc countries) then why not look at a CZ? My CZ-97B certainly likes Wolf.

Only issue I've had with steel case was some Silver Bear .45acp that was out of spec, cases were too long.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 9:35:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Only real negatives to steel case is ammo is slightly more wear on the extractor, not much but it's expected since brass is softer and will take brunt of the wear vs steel on steel. The other is steel case ammo will dirty up a chamber since the steel case won't expand like a brass case to "fill" the chamber.

With regular cleaning and maintenance it's mostly a non issue.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 12:02:00 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

When FN dropped the P series pistol line for the X series, chamber tolerances were loosened up to be more accommodating to steel cased ammo. My FNX-45 runs steel case fine.
But overall the only 'damage' to a pistol running steel case ammo is slightly increased barrel wear from the bimetal bullets and possibly more wear on the extractor.
If we're choosing a pistol strictly for the purposes of running steel case ammo (mainly made in ex-soviet bloc countries) then why not look at a CZ? My CZ-97B certainly likes Wolf.
Only issue I've had with steel case was some Silver Bear .45acp that was out of spec, cases were too long.
View Quote

I have a 2014 dated CZ 75B Retro that does not run on steel cased ammo.

I have two older used 75Bs which also choke on steel cased ammo.

One I have reamed with a Clymer SAAMI min spec 9mm Liver reamed and installed a Wolff XP extractor spring and it still chokes on steel.

Ammo was Maxxtech steel cased and was eaten up buy a GLOCK 19 without complaint.

Except for the four or so rounds which had ~20mm long cases and did not let the slide into battery.

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 8:55:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Steel case ammo will not cause damage to firearms, whether it accelerates wear over brass case ammo is open to debate. It's probably about 75% of the ammo I shoot in both pistols and ARs.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:14:57 AM EDT
[#18]
http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

This is for the ar-15, but the barrel wear and extractor wear are significatly higher. You can't really apply the failure rate as the recoil systems are not the same. I have never met a handgun that will not fire steel, but then again I do not venture from tried and true manufacturers.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 4:21:27 PM EDT
[#19]
If you have a weapon that don't shoot steel, you need another gun.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:16:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If you have a weapon that don't shoot steel, you need another gun.
View Quote

Pretty much this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top