User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:52:42 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I was never a big fan of the 380acp.

But, I was a fan of the Beretta 84/browning BDA back in the day, but couldn't afford one.

So, when the Israeli surplus Beretta 84's showed up, I bought one...an almost new looking 84F, for less than $300.

My plan was to shoot it for while and someday use it for trade bait.

However, I found I really like it. Fits my hand really well, points like a finger, and is surprisingly accurate. Compact, light, and easy to carry. And 14 rounds.

So, I doubt it will ever be trade bait. It often gets house gun duty in preference to other, more powerful handguns...though the 12ga riot gun is never far away.

I keep my Beretta loaded with Underwood +P XTP, and I'm satisfied with that load, which has proven remarkably accurate. My club has 10" steel plates ranging from 40yds to 100yds, and I rang the 80yd plate standing offhand. At 25yds, I put the whole mag in the black on an NRA bullseye shooting one handed standing.

For an FMJ load, I want to try the Sigammo 102gn FMJ. I bought a box, and it looks like quality ammo, but I haven't shot any yet. The bullet has a small, sharp shouldered meplat. Looking forward to seeing how it shoots, and hoping to see some chrono results from someone, especially in a longer barreled gun like my Beretta.
View Quote
Keep an eye out on the tests here for the Underwood 100gr hardcast, it did great in water and plywood.

Looking forward to seeing it in the gel test results, my hunch is it will zip right thru, so if penetration is your thing then the 90gr ext pen or the 100gr hardcast will fit the need.

I will do more as I get time, regarding... chrony, accuracy, feeding/ejection
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:03:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Here is a device i rigged up to test with and trap bullets.
It appears it will take at least two of these (back to back), a 380 jhp went thru the 4 gallons of bags yesterday.

I will play with this setup more, less mess to clean up and bags are cheaper than gallons of water.

It is a bit less dramatic than the gallon jugs as the video shows.

</img />

</img />

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:21:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Used two crates and experimented with the water, got the bags real full and snug in the containers.
UW 90gr XTP JHP 380 went 18" after 2 layers of denim, bullet mushroomed and expanded perfectly. Velocity was 1027fps
</img />

</img />

</img />

</img />

</img />

</img />

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 2:19:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Sounds great. I did 5 jug tests yesterday, also did what I call a plywood sandwich test (trademarked)
I clamped together 8 layers of plywood pieces and put 11 different rounds into it, marked em while shooting as to which load into which hole.
Then took it apart layer at a time to see where they stopped and marked each bullet as to how far they made it, all bullets were recovered.
You may be asking what will that data show ?? hell if I know..

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think ill have time on wed to do my testing.

.380 sig v crown, 9mm & .40 hst through a simulated car door into water jugs

Sounds great. I did 5 jug tests yesterday, also did what I call a plywood sandwich test (trademarked)
I clamped together 8 layers of plywood pieces and put 11 different rounds into it, marked em while shooting as to which load into which hole.
Then took it apart layer at a time to see where they stopped and marked each bullet as to how far they made it, all bullets were recovered.

Good info to know if we are ever invaded by the Laminate people of Romulous 7
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 3:43:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think ill have time on wed to do my testing.

.380 sig v crown, 9mm & .40 hst through a simulated car door into water jugs

They're pretty tough, I'm just gonna say screw it and grab my 10mm.

Link Posted: 10/2/2016 9:15:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Will get some more plywood test results up later today with bullet pics.
Hope to get to some car doors this month.

Link Posted: 10/2/2016 2:35:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Here are the bullets and loads that penetrated the 4th panel..2.66"

Two more to come that got the fifth panel, one 9mm and one 380

</img />

</img />

Link Posted: 10/6/2016 7:28:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Bump
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 8:09:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Gonna put up the last 2 rounds from the plywood later.

My official gel tester e-mailed me a bit ago..."380 will fuck you up"...his words.

</img />

Link Posted: 10/11/2016 9:41:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Gonna put up the last 2 rounds from the plywood later. My official gel tester e-mailed me a bit ago..."380 will fuck you up"...his words.

View Quote

That it will. I suppose that's why no one volunteers to take a round for the team to prove how "under powered" it is
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 12:14:31 PM EDT
[#11]
As promised here are the 2 bullets that penetrated the most in the plywood sandwich test.
Note the 380 plugged up and acted as a fmj, the 9mm, is my carry load.

Some of the 380's did better than I expected in hard wood penetration.

Coming soon ...sheet metal, animal meat and bone, and who knows

</img />

</img />

Link Posted: 10/13/2016 1:04:50 AM EDT
[#12]
" />

147gr HST
G19
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 7:08:26 AM EDT
[#13]

Thanks, I was hoping you would be back

If you have the data from how much distance you got from em please post it, I assume water jugs ?

Thanks for letting us know the bullet and pistol, if you chrono em, post that also.

Link Posted: 10/13/2016 8:13:40 AM EDT
[#14]
It made it to the 3rd jug, really did a number on the first two. Distance was 10ft.

This was a factory load so approx 950fps if I had to guess.

Wish I had more jugs! We only go through a couple gallons of milk a week.

More to come...
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 8:31:31 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

It made it to the 3rd jug, really did a number on the first two. Distance was 10ft.

This was a factory load so approx 950fps if I had to guess.

Wish I had more jugs! We only go through a couple gallons of milk a week.

More to come...

View Quote
I took a measurement and pic on a good xtp 380 this morning, I will post it up so there is a decent side by side for people to see.

Link Posted: 10/13/2016 12:01:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Here is a 380 with 90gr xtp.

Recovered from water jugs, test.

</img />

Link Posted: 10/13/2016 4:49:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Here are the official gel test results from Arfcomer 10mm_
He does a very nice job of detailing the loads and his video work is great.

I really appreciate him taking his time to do this, it is about 14 minutes and worth it if you are not sure of the potential of the .380

It will get er done.

Link Posted: 10/17/2016 7:29:43 AM EDT
[#18]
I didn't get to any barrier testing this weekend.
I will try to post some up soon.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:26:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I really want to take some time and test these style bullets on hogs.   I want a broadside shot thru the front shoulder into the vitals and see how it penetrates and the tissue/vital damage that it does.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I took detailed notes with every shot, but they're at home.If I recall that was 4 jugs total.

That bullets big brother (90GR Ext Penetrator +P), was not captured, 6 jugs pass thru and bounced off plywood for parts unknown.

That is impressive
I really want to take some time and test these style bullets on hogs.   I want a broadside shot thru the front shoulder into the vitals and see how it penetrates and the tissue/vital damage that it does.

Saw one test on YT where a saboted a .44 cal Lehigh Xtreme Penetrator.  Shot it out of an inline muzzleloader.  The thing about quatered the gel block.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 7:03:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Saw one test on YT where a saboted a .44 cal Lehigh Xtreme Penetrator.  Shot it out of an inline muzzleloader.  The thing about quatered the gel block.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe this may be the one you are refering to, it's pretty neat.
Start at about the 2 min mark.
Lehigh 45 in muzzleloader
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:45:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Sometimes when testing, shit happens
75yds with G19, put a lil slice on it.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top