Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 7:20:59 PM EDT
[#1]
40S&W is one of my favorites. I have several of them.    
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 10:42:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have 11,000 rounds of 9MM. Most of it bought for $0.18-$0.20. I'll be OK.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A 40 should be in everyone's arsenal for logistical purposes.

That would be my only reason. As others have mentioned several times, 40 was the last thing left on shelves in the last panic.

At my current rate, I would be through that in 9 months.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 10:57:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be my only reason. As others have mentioned several times, 40 was the last thing left on shelves in the last panic.

It's not about what you have stashed, it's about what you can resupply.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 11:28:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I built my stash in 2005. I resupply it regularly. If the situation gets bad enough, ill cut my consumption rate.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 2:04:55 PM EDT
[#5]
funny I started this thread.. then yesterday came this trade offer for a gun I was selling... a FNX 40 !  so I guess I can check out the 40 cal  myself!
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 2:40:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Right now the supply of guns chambered in .40 seems to be exceeding demand and driving the price down. Also you're probably seeing a lot of LEO trade-ins which are typically less expensive because of the perception that they are more used than your typical used gun.

I really like .40. I'm one of those idiots that you hear about in GD that thinks a little extra bullet weight at the same speed makes a bigger difference on the receiving end than the giving end.
View Quote
I got a LEO trade in USP 40C. I load my own 165gr that I reduced to my comfort level for practice/plinking. $429 a few years back, a bit beat up externally but pristine inside.

Link Posted: 9/22/2016 4:59:12 PM EDT
[#7]
"Logistical Purposes" is the only reason I own a .40
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 6:07:35 PM EDT
[#8]
The new 9>40 argument is based on premium ammo where according to some 9=40=45.  I wonder how that bears up with the cost of premium ammo.  Are you stashing the good stuff or cheaper ball?  If so, things aren't equal anymore and the larger calibers rule.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 8:01:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The new 9>40 argument is based on premium ammo where according to some 9=40=45.  I wonder how that bears up with the cost of premium ammo.  Are you stashing the good stuff or cheaper ball?  If so, things aren't equal anymore and the larger calibers rule.
View Quote

Even the difference between 9mm ball and .45 is laughably small.

Id still prefer a 9mm if stuck with ball
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 1:08:27 PM EDT
[#10]
As a reloader who loves his 10mm, the .40 was a natural companion, seeing as how I can use common bullets and powders.

I carry a CZ 75B in .40. Its in the shop right now getting a retro spur hammer and a trigger job.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 1:14:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I shoot a lot of USPSA Limited, so I always have plenty of brass and bullets around for it.   It only makes sense to have a few regular pistols on hand.  I load my Limited ammo a bit longer than most regular .40s will take, but it's easy to knock a grain off the powder charge and seat the bullet a bit deeper whenever I feel like doing a run of "regular" .40 ammo.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:20:22 AM EDT
[#12]
I remember my dad always telling me that 40 was the best round ever made. As a new shooter going to gun stores and being told how sissy the 9mm was and too big the 45 was. After owning and shooting many 40s. HK, FN, walther, glock, m&p, Springfield and shield. I only enjoyed the HK and xd. I've sold all my 40 handguns. For me I shoot 9mm and 45. It makes it easier when it comes to buying ammo. Plus the recoil isn't harsh, its just very different. For me, I'll never own another 40. But everybody has their own personal preferences. So YMMV
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:48:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I like shooting .40 at my Monday night bowling pin shoots. You give up some speed when compared to 9mm, but a bad hit is more forgiving with the .40.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 1:10:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I like shooting .40 at my Monday night bowling pin shoots. You give up some speed when compared to 9mm, but a bad hit is more forgiving with the .40.
View Quote

I've won a couple bowling pin matches with 40s. Load it up up to major and it has a better combination of capacity and power than 9 and 45.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:38:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I remember my dad always telling me that 40 was the best round ever made. As a new shooter going to gun stores and being told how sissy the 9mm was and too big the 45 was. After owning and shooting many 40s. HK, FN, walther, glock, m&p, Springfield and shield. I only enjoyed the HK and xd. I've sold all my 40 handguns. For me I shoot 9mm and 45. It makes it easier when it comes to buying ammo. Plus the recoil isn't harsh, its just very different. For me, I'll never own another 40. But everybody has their own personal preferences. So YMMV
View Quote

The .40 is my least favorite of the "Big 3" automatic pistol cartridges.  When I was new to shooting I thought it sounded like the perfect cartridge.   I really wanted a Glock 22 as my first handgun but I was mostly broke and I ended up with a Ruger P91DC as my first handgun.  I thought it was a terrible pistol at the time and I ended up trading it on some 9mm pistol, not a Ruger, maybe a Beretta 92FS, but it is hard to remember now.

I own a S&W M&P40 Compact now which is my only gun in the caliber.  I actually enjoy it, but I still prefer. 45 ACP and 9x19 over it.  I mostly have the 40C for logistical purposes. I am considering getting a. 40 Shield also, they are dirt cheap and having a second. 40 doesn't seem like a terrible idea.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:13:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
People don't want .40 guns because the ammo is a couple bucks more expensive per box, the recoil hurts their delicate wrists, and you lose a couple of rounds capacity.
View Quote

And most importantly it's shot placement when it comes to pistols in 40 45 and 9.  So why limit the number of rounds u can have in the mag or spend more for ammo

The 40 cal hype is over for most people except those that still own them and get offended when u point out the above.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:14:49 AM EDT
[#17]
The only advantage to a 40 is that u can get a 9mm barrel for it and shoot both calibers
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:04:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The only advantage to a 40 is that u can get a 9mm barrel for it and shoot both calibers
View Quote

This. I'm about to pick up a very lightly used G22 for a good price locally, and if I don't like it in .40 I plan on a 9mm conversion barrel.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:08:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

or get a 40 barrel for your 10mm
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:26:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

And most importantly it's shot placement when it comes to pistols in 40 45 and 9.  So why limit the number of rounds u can have in the mag or spend more for ammo

The 40 cal hype is over for most people except those that still own them and get offended when u point out the above.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
People don't want .40 guns because the ammo is a couple bucks more expensive per box, the recoil hurts their delicate wrists, and you lose a couple of rounds capacity.

This. I can't wait for 40 to die out. Most 40 lovers I've met, not all, but most, are inexperienced in the gun world. First gun is a 40, only buys 40 because they've never tried anything else. Shot placement and capacity are crucial, that's why my 9mm goes with me everywhere.

ETA: I see the use of them in competitions and if people genuinely like the round. But the hype over 40 is pretty much over
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:02:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I shoot a lot of USPSA Limited, so I always have plenty of brass and bullets around for it.   It only makes sense to have a few regular pistols on hand.  I load my Limited ammo a bit longer than most regular .40s will take, but it's easy to knock a grain off the powder charge and seat the bullet a bit deeper whenever I feel like doing a run of "regular" .40 ammo.
View Quote

+1000

Limited division is where the fun's at

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:08:32 AM EDT
[#22]
I love my M&P .40s, I've never felt like the recoil was any worse than my 9mms. OP asked about the 229 in .40, I used to carry one and loved it, they are great guns. The ammo availability is a nice bonus too
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:05:05 AM EDT
[#23]
I don't shoot that much anymore but recently got a few kkm 9mm conversion barrels for my m&p 40s. I put myself on the timer for 10 yard bill drills (6 shots as fast as possible, 8" idpa a zone).  After a dozen in both 9 and 40 with the exact same gun aside from barrel and magazine, I was 10% faster and 10% more accurate with the 9mm. I was slightly less likely to pull those 5th and 6th shots out of the a zone with the 9, but shooting the 9 didn't turn me into Jerry miculek.  Sure, some of my better bill drills with the .40 were better than my mediocre 9s and vice versa.  Based on my research, .40 does expand and penetrate about 10% better than 9mm too, so it's a tradeoff that I'm willing to take and will probably stick with .40 for carry. Used p9hst2 and p40hst1 for the comparison ammo.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:21:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Questions for those running 9mm+P+ who bash the .40 "snappy recoil" and "slower double taps".  Isn't this defeating the purpose of a lighter firing pistlol when it comes to using the same size pistol, example being Glock 19/23 ?  Seems to me you are making your 9mm hotter than some 40's with this practice.  Just saying.......................
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:32:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Questions for those running 9mm+P+ who bash the .40 "snappy recoil" and "slower double taps".  Isn't this kind of a double standard when it comes to using the same size pistol, example being Glock 19/23 ?  Seems to me you are making your 9mm hotter than some 40's with this practice.  Just saying.......................
View Quote

When I run the math through the online calculators the difference still comes out to be about 15% of felt recoil.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:37:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

When I run the math through the online calculators the difference still comes out to be about 15% of felt recoil.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Questions for those running 9mm+P+ who bash the .40 "snappy recoil" and "slower double taps".  Isn't this kind of a double standard when it comes to using the same size pistol, example being Glock 19/23 ?  Seems to me you are making your 9mm hotter than some 40's with this practice.  Just saying.......................

I edited my OP a little while you were responding.  Thanks for the info.  I have fired +P+ through my 19 and to be honest didn't feel much difference versus my 23 with 180 grain that I carry.  When I do carry my 19 I run standard pressure 124 HST and run 180 HST through the 23.  Maybe after all these years of shooting I just don't pay attention to recoil much, shoot them both pretty much the same.  Now if I dig out and blow the dust off my 629 Smith that's another story !
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:43:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I edited my OP a little while you were responding.  Thanks for the info.  I have fired +P+ through my 19 and to be honest didn't feel much difference versus my 23 with 180 grain that I carry.  When I do carry my 19 I run standard pressure 124 HST and run 180 HST through the 23.  Maybe after all these years of shooting I just don't pay attention to recoil much, shoot them both pretty much the same.  Now if I dig out and blow the dust off my 629 Smith that's another story !
View Quote

I just bought 5,000 rounds of 147 grain FMJs at 980 FPS. I figure I will carry that.

I used to carry 115 grain Winchester White Box from WalMart.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 6:22:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I just bought 5,000 rounds of 147 grain FMJs at 980 FPS. I figure I will carry that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AE? I like those for 9mm woods carry
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:43:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Never had any interest, decided too many high quality 40 pistols out there at bargain prices

I now like the 40.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:45:50 PM EDT
[#31]
.40 is my favorite handgun caliber these days. It's not "tacticool" anymore so it's very available, and I expect it to remain easy to find if another ammo panic happens.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 8:16:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

And the falsehood that .40 S&W is a "high pressure round" when it operates at the same chamber pressure as 9mm and LESS pressure than 9mm +P.

And that the laws of physics, in particular, the law of momentum,  don't apply when comparing 9mm and .40 S&W.

And disregarding that the FBI went to 9mm due to training and quailification issues because of girlie agents with small, weak hands, rather than any deficiency displayed by the cartridge itself.

And "the fact" that ".40 S&W beats guns to death" although that only applied to pistols which were merely 9mm guns converted to .40, rather than those designed from the ground up for .40 S&W.

And that 16 rounds of .40 in the gun isn't enough, whereas 8 rounds of .45 ACP is plenty.

And that .40 is short and weak because "it's too snappy and has too much recoil".

And..........ad nausium.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And the FBI switched back to 9mm so they want to follow....

Bunch of pansies!

I have both but carry .40.  I will continue to carry .40 until they stop making it.

Just about every .40 thread that comes up has people complaining about the "sharp recoil."

And the falsehood that .40 S&W is a "high pressure round" when it operates at the same chamber pressure as 9mm and LESS pressure than 9mm +P.

And that the laws of physics, in particular, the law of momentum,  don't apply when comparing 9mm and .40 S&W.

And disregarding that the FBI went to 9mm due to training and quailification issues because of girlie agents with small, weak hands, rather than any deficiency displayed by the cartridge itself.

And "the fact" that ".40 S&W beats guns to death" although that only applied to pistols which were merely 9mm guns converted to .40, rather than those designed from the ground up for .40 S&W.

And that 16 rounds of .40 in the gun isn't enough, whereas 8 rounds of .45 ACP is plenty.

And that .40 is short and weak because "it's too snappy and has too much recoil".

And..........ad nausium.

Hahaha! Perfect synopsis AF! OP, I carried the .40 for 10 years, every day in a G27, then in a M&P40c. I like the .40's performance thru auto glass and auto doors. I worked in a very nasty area in Atlanta and had the real possibility of having to shoot thru my own auto glass and into a perp. One winter evening a crack monkey came out of the shadows while at a red light and violently pulled the locked door handle on my Jeep. I decided it was easier to let the clutch out and roll thru the intersection (late evening) rather than sit there and plug it with half a magazine of Ranger-B's, and all that would ensue after that. The .40 would be a great application for that kind of a shooting though because that is what it was designed to do; plug strait thru a barrier with little deflection. Lots of .40 haters look past that point just like the rest of what America First stated. I like 9mm and .45acp equally as much. The .40 certainly has it's place and proper application though and will always have a home in my carry rotation. YMMV...
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 9:19:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

All handguns are relatively poor 'stoppers' regardless of caliber or bullet used. Shot placement and sufficient penetration are paramount, all else is secondary.
Barring a hit to the CNS, the only way to stop an aggressive and determined BG is shutting down the brain from oxygen deprivation due to bleedout. However, even a solid hit to the heart can leave 10+ seconds worth of oxygen in the brain, plenty of time for the BG to ruin the rest of your life.
Unless a particular caliber/bullet can alter the outcome of the encounter in your favor by increasing the rate of bleedout to the point where the BG collapses before inflicting harm (doubtful when the aforementioned hit to the heart can leave the BG active for 10+ seconds), arguing which caliber/bullet is best is a moot point (doesn't affect the outcome of the encounter if the BG expires in the ambulance from bullet 'X' instead of in the ER from bullet 'Y').
I seriously doubt a BG could tell the difference if hit w/any quality 9mm/.40/.45 load.

Tomac
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 7:16:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

All handguns are relatively poor 'stoppers' regardless of caliber or bullet used. Shot placement and sufficient penetration are paramount, all else is secondary.
Barring a hit to the CNS, the only way to stop an aggressive and determined BG is shutting down the brain from oxygen deprivation due to bleedout. However, even a solid hit to the heart can leave 10+ seconds worth of oxygen in the brain, plenty of time for the BG to ruin the rest of your life.
Unless a particular caliber/bullet can alter the outcome of the encounter in your favor by increasing the rate of bleedout to the point where the BG collapses before inflicting harm (doubtful when the aforementioned hit to the heart can leave the BG active for 10+ seconds), arguing which caliber/bullet is best is a moot point (doesn't affect the outcome of the encounter if the BG expires in the ambulance from bullet 'X' instead of in the ER from bullet 'Y').
I seriously doubt a BG could tell the difference if hit w/any quality 9mm/.40/.45 load.

Tomac
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tomac

Hit him in the pelvis and he'll know.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 9:09:50 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tomac

Source?

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 9:10:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Tomac
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tomac

I agree. I've seen a couple that ran 50+ yards after being shot through the heart. One was with a .357 Magnum and another with a .38 Special +P.  

I guess where I'm having trouble with this new fad is that it is relies on the premium quality ammunition.  I carry only the best but when that runs out and we're down to practice ammo or reloads, it's not equal.  I can't afford to stockpile the good stuff and I doubt there's many that can.  I have enough of the high quality ammo to fill my magazines and a little extra but that's it.

But the other hand, we are talking about preps for a situation most will never encounter and if you do, it's over quick with only 2-3 rounds fired on average.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 2:42:21 PM EDT
[#37]
40 is for people whose ballastic knowledge is stuck in the late 90s.

Also - if you don't already have a stash of your chosen calibers and your resupply plan is Walmart ...
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 9:40:37 PM EDT
[#38]
I shot my uncle's .40 cal H&K P2000 and P2000SK the border patrol issued to him. It was easy enough for me to shoot well - even with the LEM double action only triggers - I just prefer my 9mm handguns. He likes .40 and does well with it so rock on. Plus the government supplies some of his ammo...

In a nutshell - 9mm does everything I need it to do for less money than .40

Lol Fooboy...can't disagree with you there.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 10:42:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Also - if you don't already have a stash of your chosen calibers and your resupply plan is Walmart ...
View Quote

Well, ballistically the .40 equals the .38-40 so maybe stuck in the 1890s

Ive got a pretty good stash of 9 as its my primary. Over 10k at this point but I like knowing I have some .40 in case I cant resupply 9s.

$18 per box of hsts and $14 for rangers are a nice benefit of the .40 as well.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 11:36:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Ive got a pretty good stash of 9 as its my primary. Over 10k at this point but I like knowing I have some .40 in case I cant resupply 9s.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can I ask where you're getting the HST for $18? My go to lately is TargetSportsUSA and it's $25 for the 180gr HST....
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 3:41:12 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View Quote

I keep hearing people say this, but never accompanied by any kind of reasonable explanation.  

What exactly changed about the 40 in the past 20 years to make it worse than it was at introduction?  

Don't tell me how modern bullets made the 9 better.  I'm sure they did, but same design propagated to 40 and 45.  I also understand wanting more capacity for those who can't aim, and less recoil for the limp-waisted crowd.  But those aren't changes to the 40.

How did the 40 get worse, for those of us "whose ballastic knowledge is stuck in the late 90s."?

Link Posted: 10/1/2016 7:17:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Can I ask where you're getting the HST for $18? My go to lately is TargetSportsUSA and it's $25 for the 180gr HST....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

massammo

they're out now but they had it in stock for months. I must of posted a link to it 3-4 times in other threads and started a topic in GD about it
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 7:49:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Its the internet, people have strong opionons. I have had many guns, in all three of the common calibers and honestly don't notice a whole lot of difference between any of them. I am currently carrying a Glock 23 and shoot it just has well as the 19 or 17
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 7:56:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

I disagree with your first sentence, and hear that argument a lot about the 40 cal. While the gap may have narrowed between the two, those same bullet advances that make the 9mm so great now (and I agree that it is) were also applied to the 40.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 9:06:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I keep hearing people say this, but never accompanied by any kind of reasonable explanation.  

What exactly changed about the 40 in the past 20 years to make it worse than it was at introduction?  

Don't tell me how modern bullets made the 9 better.  I'm sure they did, but same design propagated to 40 and 45.  I also understand wanting more capacity for those who can't aim, and less recoil for the limp-waisted crowd.  But those aren't changes to the 40.

How did the 40 get worse, for
those of us "whose ballastic knowledge is stuck in the late 90s."?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How did the 40 get worse, for
those of us "whose ballastic knowledge is stuck in the late 90s."?

Do you seriously not know this?

Given advancements in modern hollow point design - its known that all major service calibers (.38 / 9mm / 40 / 45) perform the same at the end of the day.  Performance being equal, 9mm offers higher capacity and lower recoil.  Lower recoil means quicker splits and less wear and tear on the gun.  All the above is why many agencies and even the FBI are going back to 9mm.  

Is 40 bad?  No.  You're just not getting anything extra ... except more recoil and cost ... and lower capacity.

You can tell .40 guys as they talk a lot about the following:  Ft Lbs, energy dump, one shot stop, etc etc.

Summary of FBI findings on this from 2014.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 9:30:25 AM EDT
[#46]
I like 40....I carry a G23, please keep trading in your 40's as I like them cheap!!!
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 10:05:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Sigh, who cares?  Shoot what works best for you.  Just ask yourself this question when picking a caliber from any of the mainstream auto loading options, what does caliber x do that caliber y doesn't?  When you take away capacity concerns the answer is nothing.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 10:50:25 AM EDT
[#48]
I would like to thank the FBI for getting all this started once again.  The pistol caliber war will not be one by anyone !  The answer has been stated several times, let me remind everyone of it.  

PRACTICE and SHOT PLACEMENT  with whatever you carry !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 11:10:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

massammo

they're out now but they had it in stock for months. I must of posted a link to it 3-4 times in other threads and started a topic in GD about it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

massammo

Thanks man, I'll keep checking in on them.....
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 2:38:34 PM EDT
[#50]
I don't have a .40 pistol yet but I like the idea of more energy than a 9mm and more mag capacity than a .45. I did recently get a SUB2000 carbine in '40 and I like the boost in velocity with the 16" barrel, 1175 fps rather than 1042 from a 4" barrel - that's with 180 gr. My SUB takes Glock mags so I'm definitely thinking about picking up a pistol to go with it.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top